Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Crawl Spec XR10...Next Chapter - T1E SNIPER

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 06:26 AM   #81
Quarry Creeper

Your stuff is looking great Steven . . ! Are we going to see any of these items hit the market after you finish production and testing?
WheelinKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2011, 10:15 PM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dog View Post
Great job Steven. Have you thought about mounting your battery where the servo use to be? Looks like you have a nice flat location for it.
Thanks Kevin! Yep, that's the plan. I am currently reworking the servo mount to include battery strap slots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelinKing View Post
Your stuff is looking great Steven . . ! Are we going to see any of these items hit the market after you finish production and testing?
Thanks! I do plan on offering some stuff once I get the kinks ironed out.
SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #83
Rock Crawler

the stuff you do with delrin hurts my brain lol i mean you made what is probably one of the best losi micro chasis's and wht ive seen from your xr build so far youve got somethin good goin here too
murderface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderface View Post
the stuff you do with delrin hurts my brain lol i mean you made what is probably one of the best losi micro chasis's and wht ive seen from your xr build so far youve got somethin good goin here too
Thanks! Much appreciated.

-------

I really didn't want to do a new chassis, as the stock one works great. But, The front shock location forced my hand.

Ready to run with wheels, tires, and electronics it currently weighs in at 4lbs 8.5oz.
Attached Images

Last edited by SVEN; 01-08-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:06 AM   #85
Rock Crawler

I'd have to see that thing in person to ever figure out exactly whats goin on. Theres soo much delrin there, i cant tell where one part ends and another begins.

have you noticed any advantges to having your servo back behind the motor like that?
murderface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:02 AM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Nice Steven. This one has really turned into a ... wait for it

wait for it...

XR-SVEN .

OK... seriously... It is almost an entire pound lighter than mine. To what would you credit all the weight loss? Your chassis is tiny, but wow.

And will you have to increase the spring rates up front to compensate for the new shock position?

I'm looking forward watching it run, but I noticed you haven't signed up for the comp at Northshore yet... you coming?
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #87
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderface View Post
I'd have to see that thing in person to ever figure out exactly whats goin on. Theres soo much delrin there, i cant tell where one part ends and another begins.

have you noticed any advantges to having your servo back behind the motor like that?
I have not run the truck enough to know for sure, but the predicted advantages are lower center of gravity and allowing me to move my battery pack to the front axle. The battery's weight shifted to the front, rather than in the chassis will allow me to use less weight in the wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
Nice Steven. This one has really turned into a ... wait for it

wait for it...

XR-SVEN .

OK... seriously... It is almost an entire pound lighter than mine. To what would you credit all the weight loss? Your chassis is tiny, but wow.

And will you have to increase the spring rates up front to compensate for the new shock position?

I'm looking forward watching it run, but I noticed you haven't signed up for the comp at Northshore yet... you coming?

Haha, too funny.

I have just run it around with my old electronics set up and did some tuning to the geometry during initial designs. Like at first I had the lowers mounted to the shock mount on the axle. This did not provide enough separation from the upper link mounting on the axle and the axle would wrap badly. I wanted to use that upper hole so that I could use Revo rod ends without modifying them. In the lower hole the Revo end would have to be modified to fit. Now I am just using the stock ends drilled out to 4mm and using the stock lower hole for the lower links. It now does not wrap, but allows the shocks to do the work.

Yes, I will have to tune the shocks as they are currently much softer than I would like. And really, not so much too soft, but rather springy feeling. Could just be that they don't have much oil in them or need some thicker oil/different piston.

The weight is likely due to the lack of weight in the SLW's on all four corners. I am going to start out with nothing in the wheels and add the Little Harry slugs as needed.

Last edited by SVEN; 01-09-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Just got the electronics tray cut out....

I didn't realize how stout the base piece would be, it can stand to lose a good bit of material to lighten it up.
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2011, 01:24 PM   #89
I wanna be Dave

Electronics tray put together....

Now I get to have some fun soldering, yea!
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2011, 01:27 PM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Holy crap Sven! That electronics mount is NICE!!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #91
I wanna be Dave

As I type your mind is turning, thinking up more awsome stuff to make. This build is a 100 out of a 1 to 10
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #92
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid View Post
As I type your mind is turning, thinking up more awsome stuff to make. This build is a 100 out of a 1 to 10
Thanks guys!

The tray is a first for me, so right now I am trying to figure out how the heck I am going to make the wiring look as neat as it deserves to be. Anyone who has seen my comp rigs knows that my electronics are typically bound together with a velcro strap and stuffed into the chassis, and on a good day they will be zip-tied down so they don't flop around. So, this step may take me a while.

Last edited by SVEN; 01-09-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #93
Rock Crawler

Looking good,

I always start out with a nice clean set up but after one glitch it ends up looking like crap. LOL
aaugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #94
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
I agree Sven!! Very nice!!
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #95
I wanna be Dave

You're gonna love the MMP's! I really like how you designed the strap to use the cooling fins on them to hold everything in place!
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVEN View Post
Lower Links...

very nice work, how and where did you come up with the links?
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:12 PM   #97
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVEN View Post
Got it build yet?

Thanks! I have no problem with anyone using my ideas (that's what this forum is for, to share ideas), just as long as you don't start selling them .

I don't have any DH slugs to sell. I do have a couple extras that I can loan you if we don't get rained out of the next comp.

------------------------

Well Saturday's comp was canceled, so I had a bit of free time to work on the XR10. I was able to knock out the front links that I have been wanting to try, static rear slug holders, and an axle mounted battery tray. Also made a new set of rear lower links that put me at 3 3/8 under the belly.

Still need to do a little more work on the battery tray, but this is what it will look like. The next version will be lower, so that the battery rests on the top of the gear case. The battery is a MaxAmps 860mah 3-cell Lipo.

The plate is held on with a clamp.

New Front lower links are similar to my 2 piece high clearance links, except these place the shock mount out of the tires way.

Full lock with 1" V4 SLW and 225 hubs.

Static wheel weight slug holders for the Vanquish LH slugs. I made them for the DH slugs as well, but the LH keeps it up out of the way more and I don't think I will need to add more weight to the rear than the LH's can provide.

Profile with .7 V4 SLW's and 350 hubs.

Even though I was looking forward to the comp, I was happy to have some time to crank out a couple of things floating around in my head.
HOLY SHIT, you are amazing. ? what is you're IQ? you are blowing my mind with the things you are creating. damn good work..
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:19 PM   #98
Quarry Creeper

I didn't read the whole thread, so I pray I'm not duplicating a previous comment. But I doubt it.

I was surprised by your title... "crawl spec XR-10".

Well, um, it's a crawler so it IS crawl spec!! Any after market parts which are specifically for the XR are "crawl spec" too. The only things where you have some leeway regarding crawl spec would be motor, ESC and servo.

I didn't know if you meant "competition spec", as that is another matter entirely.

Good job on the truck! I really like the XR.
JustinThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelerzman View Post
very nice work, how and where did you come up with the links?
Thanks, I wanted 3D links, but I can only cut in 2D. Thus these links were born .

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelerzman View Post
HOLY SHIT, you are amazing. ? what is you're IQ? you are blowing my mind with the things you are creating. damn good work..
Thanks. I dunno. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post

Well, um, it's a crawler so it IS crawl spec!! Any after market parts which are specifically for the XR are "crawl spec" too.

Good job on the truck! I really like the XR.

Yes.

Thank you!

My Blue Star = Crawl Spec
Old 01-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #100
I wanna be Dave

Soooo, I won't mention any names here, but someone screwed up the front link length measurement and made the truck 1/2" too short. Stupid mistake ended up costing me another 6 hours of design and machine setup/runtime.

I had to redesign the upper links, lower links, and the chassis. While I was at it I made a couple of adjustments to make my wiring job a little easier (still haven't gotten to that yet).

Here is the new side plate with a couple of additions...

Any wild guesses as to what these changes might be for?
Attached Images

Last edited by SVEN; 01-09-2011 at 09:50 PM.

Tags
sniper, t1e

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-xr10/282560-crawl-spec-xr10-next-chapter-t1e-sniper.html
Posted By For Type Date
Crawl ANZ - View topic - Nec's xr10 This thread Refback 03-06-2013 01:32 AM

Crawl Spec XR10...Next Chapter - T1E SNIPER - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
**** T1E Sniper **** BTF Chassis and Suspension 189 01-21-2014 02:30 PM