Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: FMJ's XR10; the Grave Over Winter Rebuild

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2015, 11:12 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: FMJ's XR10; the Grave Over Winter Rebuild

All done for today... 11 hrs straight to get things to where I want them to be. Gotta say, for a guy with weight expectations in the 4 to 4.5# range... Mind was blown when I put it on the scale tonight after all work was completed! Cant wait to get my new skins on a new body, this thing will be a head turner.

Here she is, the fruit of patience and labour, time and money.

1323g!

2# 14 & 3/4 oz

3# & 3/4oz with the battery (1379g)

Fixed up all the issues.

12.25" wheel base, 2.75" ride height, 11" TW @ front, 9.5" TW @ rear, looking like a 55/45 balance. The skid is so slippery I cant get it balanced on a punch.

Set for a slight toe in.

Now all I have to do is relearn how to drive this thing! Test run in the morning I hope.
Morbid Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2015, 11:40 PM   #22
RCC Addict

A couple of other items to lighten up if you're after more weight off...
4mm solid CF rod for the uppers
SCX10 shocks for the front
1/8" Ti tierod

Nice job. Keep us posted on how well that chassis does. Not a lot of feedback on it, although those that have it seem to like it.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:53 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
A couple of other items to lighten up if you're after more weight off...
4mm solid CF rod for the uppers
SCX10 shocks for the front
1/8" Ti tierod

Nice job. Keep us posted on how well that chassis does. Not a lot of feedback on it, although those that have it seem to like it.

Will do.

I have CF for the uppers I made today. They are hollow, front weighs 2g rear weighs 3g. They are a little heavy atm until I can track down some aluminum balls.

will look into the scx10 shocks, my ax10 shocks whee too long for the front so I used the xrs and they are still too long for my liking. Going to need something in the 80mm range I think.

thanks for the input and advise, @ 3 pounds rtr Im not sure how much more weight I'll be able to lose and still drive this thing proper. Still got the Ti rear axle shafts to go in yet as well.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:57 PM   #24
Pebble Pounder

After a brief test run before the storm shut me down yesterday, it is as I feared... The rig is so light and the front end so heavy that if one of the front tires drops into void too fast or too deep it will flip the rig. The same is true for one front wheel ascension; the rear will start to lift after the front axle articulates to a ~45* angle. If it increase much more than that then it will cause the rig to flip. The same is not true about the rear. If the front tires are grounded the rear can flex away all day.

Suspension tuning is required but I also think that a large portion of the issue is lack of weight at the rear. I can now understand and appreciate drivers who throw rear weight on their rigs.

The narrowed voodoo pins are finding traction now where they could not when they where full width. Contact patch pressure was lacking like I thought. Still more testing with these tires to go before I am sold on them as a go to tread.

I will pick up a set of sedonas and rovers as well for testing. Everything has their place.

If any one wants to share their XP on different treads at this weight (3 pounds) please do. It may save me time and money, or inspire an idea.

Appreciate anyones input. Thanks!
~ FMJ

Last edited by Morbid Angel; 04-24-2015 at 11:16 AM. Reason: added pertinent information
Old 04-25-2015, 01:40 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

I put 1 layer of lugs on each face of the front tires and it really woke these Voodoo's up. They are performing much better now. Faith restored.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 04-28-2015, 10:43 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

On the road again for work this week. Working in Naniamo BC. Stopped @ NRC hobby shop here in town. Picked up some big bores, shock oil, hubs, and other goodies.
Asked Matt @ NRC what some good spots where and he gave me some good ones. Havnt hit them all yet but they are pretty sweet. Got to put in some work on the rocks and everyday has been tweaking, but that later... Too bad the crawler scene died here before it began.

Sugarloaf Mountain
[IMG]

Last edited by Morbid Angel; 04-28-2015 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:02 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Pipers Lagoon, Nanaimo BC

Up the mountain, all the way up no flips, unassisted with the DD

At the top
[IMG][/IMG]

Best crawl spots I've ever driven. The pictures are shit, these sites where ridiculous fun. Still more to visit before the weeks over.

Sugarloaf mountain ran no weights, broke both rear uppers after the first pack, but finished up the day still kickin ass and havin a blast.

Pipers Lagoon ran weights up front and switched up the hubs.

Got back to the motel, threw the Big Bores on up front after a cap mod and loaded with 42.5w oil. Threw 800 hubs on rear, removed 600's on front and replaced with 400's, this evened out the track width to 10.75" front and 10.5 rear (or close to).
Cleaned up the electronics as much as I could without my soldering equipment, played with the front suspension a bit. We'll see how she drives tomorrow when I visit Jack Point park after work.

Last edited by Morbid Angel; 04-28-2015 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:15 PM   #28
Stephan Hauser / # 7

Nice rocks and pics! The position of You BEC i think is not the best. Last years i inserted it under the servo - low and save. The only thing you have to do is to eliminate the condensate.
ZZR 1100 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:20 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZR 1100 Racer View Post
Nice rocks and pics! The position of You BEC i think is not the best. Last years i inserted it under the servo - low and save. The only thing you have to do is to eliminate the condensate.
I wish I could get more pics, but I just wanted to drive!

I actually tried to throw the bec under the servo but couldnt get it worked out. I will try again @ a later date. I had it behind the servo but it was interfering with the shocks so I moved it ontop of the uppers till I can figure out how to get it underneath.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:25 PM   #30
Stephan Hauser / # 7

You have to cut the condensate like the old castleversion. It also work without.
ZZR 1100 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:33 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

A crappy little vid, but I was supprised to make this rig hit the almost 90 degree incline with a 90 degree break over. No biggy.

I did say in the vid that it was droop suspension but I forgot yesterday that I sprung up the front end.

If the vid dont work (its not showing up in the preview) heres a link.

FMJ's XR10; the Grave Over Winter Rebuild - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Frankenwheely's XR10 ReBuild Frankenwheely Axial XR10 195 08-09-2017 02:44 AM
XR10 Secret Agent 3.5 rebuild and progress - codename "Agent Black" mce076 Axial XR10 31 03-05-2015 11:46 PM
My XR10 rebuild with CC Smash and more... AZrcdriver Arizona 16 01-12-2014 07:25 AM
going to get a xr10 this winter is this a good package? minnesotamudder Axial XR10 4 09-02-2010 05:53 PM
grave digger cammok5 Paint and Body 3 03-08-2007 06:03 PM