Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Pinion and spur gear noise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2016, 07:17 AM   #1

Default Pinion and spur gear noise

Hello ladies and gents, I'm new to this forum but have had rc cars, trucks, boats planes and helicopters so im not new to the rc scene. I have been out of it for ten or more years but got my son a 2wd slash for his birthday this year. I love breaking them and rebuilding them, to me trying to make it better than from the factory is fun. I am a engineering manager at a small machine shop and have cnc machines at my disposal. I see some custom parts in my future, I spoke with the owner and he is down with manufacturing and selling parts. I will let you know how that goes.

Now to the real question, since I am now hooked again I bought a used yeti xl rtr. When I got it I noticed that there was a clicking noise when I tried to roll it. I used it for about an hour and I started hearing what I thought was a diff stripping. Turns out the motor had shifted and the pinion was skipping teeth, eventually the screw loosened and the pinion slid back and was no longer engaged with the spur gear. When I rolled it without the pinion installed the clicking went away, there was the normal gear noise but not the clicking. I installed the pinion and the noise came back, it almost seems like the pinion is not parallel to the spur. I have seen this on other people's videos so I think it is normal or atleast normal to the truck. Have any of you found a fix for this? I was thinking of buying a HR motor mount to see if this fixes the problem. Could it be a bad set of gears? Like they are cut wrong and that is why they dont mesh? Thanks for reading and offering any advice.
yetibasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2016, 09:24 AM   #2

Default Re: Pinion and spur gear noise

If you remove the motor and hit the throttle does it sound normal?

If it does then I suppose its possible that you motor mount has warped. One of the many reasons why I won't buy a used RC is because of random issues like this.

For what it's worth, the HR Motor Mount+Motor Plate is an outstanding upgrade. My motor has NEVER shifted and I dont have to worry about stripping the screws when re-assembling.
daveflave1275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:43 AM   #3

Thanks, I kind of thought it was an alignment issue.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:14 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I couldn't figure out why my spur wobbled, wasted money on new parts but still wobbled. Got the Robinson Racing 64t yeti slipper setup and all is good now. I also run a HR motor mount/plate. Everything is still good to this day.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:29 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Hey Yoda, didn't RR say they were going to come out with a YXL specific slipper assembly? I thought that was mentioned when you were having your issues with the wobbling. Last time I was on their site I didn't see one but maybe it's still in the works! Sounds like the yeti one works fine anyways!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bbos12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:09 PM   #6

My spur wobbles a lot as well, I was thinking of getting the robinson slipper assembly. Do any of you have a link to the correct one? When I search it just says yeti are the 1/10 and 1/8 slipper the same?
Old 07-22-2016, 06:40 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetibasher View Post
My spur wobbles a lot as well, I was thinking of getting the robinson slipper assembly. Do any of you have a link to the correct one? When I search it just says yeti are the 1/10 and 1/8 slipper the same?
Yep... that's the one... we don't have much support in the xl world...Im looking into a mod 1 conversion
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:42 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbos12 View Post
Hey Yoda, didn't RR say they were going to come out with a YXL specific slipper assembly? I thought that was mentioned when you were having your issues with the wobbling. Last time I was on their site I didn't see one but maybe it's still in the works! Sounds like the yeti one works fine anyways!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes. They are supposed to make one for the 1/10th scale spawn trans as well but I have yet to see that either. The design is the same between all of them but just the backing plate spacer is what changes but apparently that's to difficult. Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetibasher View Post
Yup, 1/10th scale yeti 64t gen 3 slipper is what you need. You need to bore out the plastic tranny a hair on the slipper shaft so the spacer sits against the bearing. It's super easy, just need a body reamer or a dremel would work. There is a thread about it in this forum, so give that a look to see what I'm talking about.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote

Pinion and spur gear noise - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which pinion gear works best with RC4WD Steel spur gear? e32lover HPI Wheely King 8 03-10-2013 06:09 PM
Which spur gear and pinion gear with 35t motor vegas1973 General Crawlers 1 08-19-2012 11:42 AM
Spur Gear / Pinion Alex.G Venom Creeper 4 02-04-2010 08:09 AM
spur gear pinion ? wkxtreme Newbie General 4 06-28-2008 10:04 PM
What spur and pinion gear? bigmike07 HPI Wheely King 1 09-30-2007 07:40 PM