Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Stupid Newbie Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2016, 07:56 PM   #1

Default Stupid Newbie Questions

I have decided to punish myself and build a yeti xl kit and am buying parts here and there. I saw reviews on an xpert 7701 servo and it looks good enough for me. First question, I need a servo horn now? Is there anything special that I should be looking for here? I posted this in the newbie section and someone told me to buy a Holmes SHV500 servo instead.

Second, I have an x-maxx already so I have a pair of spc 3s lipos and charger with traxxas connectors. Can I build the yxl with traxxas connectors so I can use the same batteries and not need to buy another charger? I looked at motors and was thinking of going the castle route. Do these come with connectors or do I buy them separate?

Right now you are thinking "This idiot is going to build a kit?" Yessir he is.

Thanks in advance for teaching the noobs.
mrbails is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2016, 08:12 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Stupid Newbie Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbails View Post
I have decided to punish myself and build a yeti xl kit and am buying parts here and there. I saw reviews on an xpert 7701 servo and it looks good enough for me. First question, I need a servo horn now? Is there anything special that I should be looking for here? I posted this in the newbie section and someone told me to buy a Holmes SHV500 servo instead.

Second, I have an x-maxx already so I have a pair of spc 3s lipos and charger with traxxas connectors. Can I build the yxl with traxxas connectors so I can use the same batteries and not need to buy another charger? I looked at motors and was thinking of going the castle route. Do these come with connectors or do I buy them separate?

I don't have a Yeti so I won't speak to the specifics of what's a good horn for that vehicle but in general I just grab an aluminum clamping horn with the appropriate tooth count for the servo it's going on. I don't know the tooth count for that servo as I run Hitec servos.

If you can solder you can run whatever connectors you want on your truck. Just order as many Traxxas connectors as you need, some shrink wrap, and go nuts. I know some guys like to run XD90 connectors on 1/8 scale vehicles depending what motor/esc/batery combo you end up with. They're rated for 90 amps which is a ton of power. I don't know what Traxxas connectors are rated for but I imagine your Emaxx isn't lite on power.

If you order a Castle motor most likely it will have leads on it that will connect to a Castle ESC without soldering but that's not a guarantee. Basically, if you don't have soldering iron get one and start learning. It's not as hard as people think and if you're going to be in this hobby it's what I would call a required skill.

You're not crazy for building a kit. We all start somewhere. The AX10 was the first kit I built about 10 years ago now. I had no clue what I was doing but that's why they come with instructions...
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:20 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Welcome. The YXL was my first kit also. I went Castle and soldered Traxxas connectors to the esc as all my lipos are SPC with traxxas connectors.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:25 PM   #4

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:19 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbails View Post

What 3s batterys you have already??
im guessing the xmax takes a fairly big lipo. battery tray specs are on the axial website.
VNEMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNEMSS View Post
What 3s batterys you have already??
im guessing the xmax takes a fairly big lipo. battery tray specs are on the axial website.
I have a pair from spc. I didn't even think about the size. I will check that out. Thanks.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:28 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I use SPC 3S 5600 soft packs and their close height wise.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Stupid Newbie Questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
stupid newbie moves? SuperMotoGuy712 Newbie General 21 06-01-2013 04:16 PM
2 stupid newbie questions needs answer Mysterious Axial XR10 21 06-18-2012 09:22 AM
Stupid Newbie questions... AZRC Arizona 8 05-27-2009 06:58 AM
Stupid newbie scale truck questions... Welby Newbie General 5 06-22-2006 11:44 AM
stupid newbie mistake OIT_TLT Newbie General 13 12-15-2005 07:41 PM