Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: stupid newbie moves?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default stupid newbie moves?

Today I drove 45 minutes to a sweet crawl spot. Forgot my transmitter at home. How does this even happen!?
I was really itching to crawl so I went home, picked it up, and drove all the way back and had a blast. But what a waste of time and gas lol.

Anybody here ever had any stupid or embarrassing things happen out on the rocks?
Or any other kind of RC-ing? Post up!
SuperMotoGuy712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Seen it happen and been a victim...also been a victim of dead TX batteries on a long hike with the trucks..really stinks
801RYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:07 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: stupid newbie moves?

a friends friend did something similiar not too long ago, drove like 45 mins and forgot batteries for his rig.. i just laughed and thought it was funny.

my friends bug me about how much stuff i bring even if im going over to a friends house to crawl... i dont like forgetting stuff and i like bringing spare parts with me just in case i need it or someone else does.. winter time i can easily fill a big rubbermaid tub with rc shit just for a day of crawling at a friends house which is sometimes 3 rigs, ax10, scx10 and twin hammers.. thats 3 radios until i can bind my twin hammers to my ax10 radio as they are the same.

on that note i dont usually crawl too far from home, winter time its at a friends house 20-25 minutes away and if i forget something he'll usually have it... summer time my friends come to my house and help build my course and crawl...

we plan to go out and do some crawling this year so i want to minimize the amount of crap i need to bring for a day on the trail..
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

For a while I told myself, "I am smart, I don't need a checklist..."

Finally got tired of forgetting something, now I have a checklist for what I need. Actually I have two, one for crawling/scalers, and another for going to the track.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:15 PM   #5
D-Wray 4 Prez!

My check list:
Truck
Remote
Batteries
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:16 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Have totally done that and way worst, more than once.
RiceBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Haha alright now I don't feel so bad.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:00 AM   #8
RCC Addict

i have a terrible memory so i pack up my stuff the morning that im crawling, that way i can remember if i packed it or not i would love to be able to just grab my truck, radio and batteries but i race lawnmowers too and we bring the "track" (cones or car tires, flags, small plastic barrels) then all the regular crap like tools, spare parts, mower, jack stands, gas, racing gear then all my cousins crap too... so thats a lot of stuff i have to remember to bring so im bound to forget something.. everytime never fails i forget something..

like i said before my plan for mower racing and rc'ing is minimize the amount of stuff i bring and only grab the stuff i need and dont worry about other peoples stuff..

i have a big crawler course at my house.. right now its 53'x33' and about 45,000lbs of rock and it in the corner of the field with animals in the field too so i have to fence it off, repair fence when the animals bust through it haha.. cut/weedwack the grass every week, roundup the areas that i dont want grass, setup workbenches for everyone, make sure there's power for chargers, cell phones etc... in the fall there's a frig load of leaves that fall from the trees so gotta rake those etc... lots of work to do to keep the course open as long as possible, then sunday comes along and friends are like "what the hell you didnt get this done or this setup?" and im like "nope i have a day job to go to first" haha.. and i still forget stuff, luckily at my house i can just go into the house and grab it haha

i dont have a checklist but i think its a good idea to have one especially for us people that have a crappy memory... think im gonna make a simple checklist for the 3 rigs i use most often..
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:11 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

drove 1/2 a hour headed to a Comp and noticed I forgot my scaler. so had to turn around and go get it.
PontiacGT201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:35 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

last comp I went to I forgot my controller. was rushing out the door and trying to sneak past the kids that scream CAR! when they see my RC and want to play with it every time.
Gravebane525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:10 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Went to Iceland on holiday last summer and brought my crawler for some "Icelandic offroad". Couldn't wait to try my crawler on some lava field.

The first days no great crawling opportunity emerged, but eventually we went to walk up a mountain (Háhamar, on the north shore of Hvammsfjördur). Waiting for my family I took my crawler for a spin outside the house, and heard a strange rythmic sound from it. Couldn't find the reason.
A bit up the mountain side I found a nice spot and drove for about half a minute before the front wheels stopped spinning.
A quick investigation revealed that one pin on the front drive shaft had fallen off. (I hadn't used any thread lock on the set screw. )
It disappeared in the moss and crevices, and could not be found.

To make matters worse I didn't have a spare, and it didn't occur to me until later that I could ask our hosts for some nail or other pin to use. Once I got around to look for a substitute I failed to find one, and thus had to spend over a week in "Crawler's Heaven" without a functional crawler...
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I have comped with a friend's batteries before. Now i just bring half the hobby room with me.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Keep your travel bag packed and ready, then all you need to do is charge up batteries and go.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #14

If you haven't done this at least once (forgot your TX) you're not into the hobby enough yet!

I have a habit of testing vehicles out in the street, then leaving the various TXs around the hallway. They then go on migratory trips round the house and I'm lucky to see them again

I have now got organised to the extent that I have most common spares and tools with me on any sort of a holiday / trip with the RCs - trouble is that usually takes up half the car!
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

i pack the night befor so i can take my time. after the kids and wife are in bed. because one time i had tools,spare parts,controls,cars then one of the kids asked me somthing got side tracked and forgot the batterys for the cars. i dont multitask well.lol
riskyjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:58 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I re installed my c-hubs upside down when I took apart my front end last night. Couldn't figure out why my front wheels were so cambered in lol.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMotoGuy712 View Post
I re installed my c-hubs upside down when I took apart my front end last night. Couldn't figure out why my front wheels were so cambered in lol.
I do that every time I tear down my axles. I guess I will never learn
KustomKreeper8606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Rebuilt the axles in my scaler and went to a friends house to play around in his yard. Went to crawl the first line...and only one wheel was pulling. Forgot to put in 3 of the 4 hex pins. Whoops
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:37 PM   #19
RCC Addict

I drove an hour once and forgot my TX, luckily the host lived 15 min away and had a fm set up I could borrow for the day.
rangercat23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #20

Ok stop press I have just done this AGAIN today.

We went out to a place called Nibley that has a steep dirt track up a hill to a monument with great views out over the countryside. Sun shining, perfect place to test a project.

Last night I spent the entire of Fast Five with Vin Diesel and The Rock, the Isle of Man TT highlights, AND all of The Magnificent Seven on TV fiddling and setting up the TLT for its first proper run today. I changed all 4 shocks, changed where the shocks are mounted, changed the lengths of the links, swapped out some hardware etc. etc. etc.

Packed the truck in the car, forgot the TX. And this is after I put the TX by the front door so I wouldn't forget it.....

I don't believe it!
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote

stupid newbie moves? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 stupid newbie questions needs answer Mysterious Axial XR10 21 06-18-2012 09:22 AM
Newbie with a stupid question! Oso787 Electronics 2 06-21-2010 09:30 PM
Stupid Newbie questions... AZRC Arizona 8 05-27-2009 06:58 AM
Stupid newbie battery question..... 98 SNAKE EATER General Crawlers 10 04-22-2006 07:18 AM
stupid newbie mistake OIT_TLT Newbie General 13 12-15-2005 07:41 PM