Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: HELP: Need YXL Electics Etc (wife ok'd!)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2017, 08:25 PM   #1

Default HELP: Need YXL Electics Etc (wife ok'd!)

Hey y'all, I had an account about a year and a half ago, but I got busy with my small business and the build got put on the back burner.

I have a YXL kit, only upgrades is a set of Fast Eddies ceramic bearings.

I forgot most of the recommendations the guys on the forum recommended. They were also under the old account which is lost now.

MOVING on!!!!!

I got the green light from the wife to get it running.

I know I'll need to break the thing to see where I need upgrades most depending on my style of usage.

I'm def a basher. For now I'd like to get the roller operational and get things going.

I need everything....... motor, esc, radio, batteries, charger, you name it.

Please help me out, I don't know the lingo to well but I'm a former nitro road car guy.

I have a blank slate, help me make a worthy rock racer with quality parts!
Aztec.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2017, 12:36 AM   #2

Default Re: HELP: Need YXL Electics Etc (wife ok'd!)

Anyone?
Aztec.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:30 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

First of all, you have to do one of the diff's mod, mine or bhb's (three bearing mod or cut down the little edge of the pinion). This depend also on what version of pinion you have.
This is what I use, electronics wise:
Savox 1270TG
Mamba Monster X/2200kv - you really don't need a sensored motor if you are just bashing it
TrackStar TS4G/RadioLink RC3S - it's the same stuff, different name. A lot of options for a budget transmitter
Now, for the battery... I live in freakin' Europe, so I'm very limited from this point of view. Basicly the only real option is Hobbyking's Zippy Compact from European warehouse. Of course, you have to decide if you want to run on 4S or 6S.
If you need any more details, please ask
Tzicul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:49 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Try searching some of the threads in this forum, there's lots of info.
Personally I'm installing the same motor and electronics in my kit that I have in the RTR.
I'm probably just lucky but my RTR has been outstanding and almost flawless.
Good luck and have fun.
Cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:00 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Read BHB's thread:

Must watch video hd gear mod

In it he lists all recommended upgrades as well as his necessary pinion mod.
mtr1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:53 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Your wife gave the ok but what's your budget? Lol.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:20 PM   #7

I run savox 1256tg and hobbywing max 8 esc and 4274sl hobbywing 2200kv motor in mine.....
evssv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:46 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I haven't done the pinion mod or the three bearing mod for the diff pinion gear, and so far so good. If your kit shipped with the HD spiral cut gears you may find you don't need a mod.

For esc/motor, there are so many good choices. I'm running Hobbywing XR-8 plus esc with their Xerun 4274 motor. Lots of power and very, very smooth at the low end (nice if you like to throw in a little crawling). This is a heavy beast, so a reliable high-torque servo is a worthy investment.

I'd recommend looking into an upgraded servo saver. The stock plastic servo saver is very flexible. I've cracked one of the plastic shock caps, and I have the aluminum upgrade set on the way from Dhawk. My front body post mount has torn out a couple of times, so I'm getting an aluminum mount. I've also gotten a couple of TBR's parts: front bumper, front a-arm skids, and rear axle skid. Their plastic is tough and it slides well.

Those are the things that I've found useful.
Pete9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:53 PM   #9

I just finished assembling a XL kit I ordered a few weeks back and it came with the HD spiral cut gears, Not sure if there is any way to see the MFG date of the kit, but mine still required modifications to the pinion to get a proper mesh.
As I was trying to keep the costs down, I decided to run a BLX185 which is just an ARRMA branded hobbywing quicrun. Tends to be a few on ebay from guys parting out new ARRMA's, just avoid the BLX180(plenty of known issues)
I managed to get my esc/motor for about 130-140 US$ and so far its been great.

I also had my front body mount rip off from the shock tower, Seemed to be due to the threads getting torn out so I grabbed some longer M3's that would thread completely through the mount and used nylon lock nuts to secure it together. So far so good.

As mentioned by others, the stock steering setup is pretty flexible, I added a spacer above the spring on the servo saver and with my Savox SA1231SG its been fairly good for general bashing. For crawling I can see why people suggest aluminum steering and BEC.
kpbruka is offline   Reply With Quote

HELP: Need YXL Electics Etc (wife ok'd!) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nothing To Replace The YXL? Axial Rose Axial Yeti XL 42 02-17-2017 04:22 PM
Things my wife says compared to things Badgers wife says. jason Chit Chat 16 05-20-2005 09:35 AM