Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Shame to not build an XL while hopups exist. So here we go

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2018, 11:10 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Shame to not build an XL while hopups exist. So here we go

After shipping delays I have everything but the ESC/motor.

Decided on an OEM Axial Yeti XL motor with a Monster X Esc for temporarily until the 2200kv 1515 cans are released again.

This is all the Hot Racing stuff up top, Barndog Long Panels, window nets. then all the gunmetal Aluminum Hardware from GPM and Team Raffee.

I LOVE the look of the trailing arms! Should be killer with dual kings and some scale details!

daign is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2018, 03:15 PM   #22

WOW great collection of up graded parts. Look forward to see this build evolve
Axial6768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:42 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axial6768 View Post
WOW great collection of up graded parts. Look forward to see this build evolve
I broke open the piggy bank

I'm still waiting on the front dhawk Racing front bulkhead and drivetrain and a few other parts. Since I've pretty much gone all-in I think I might pull the trigger on a rear axle. One sold on eBay but was on a roller and the guy took a bath it only sold for $300 and had close to 1200 invested. I offered to buy his wheels tires and Vanquish rear end and any other parts in exchange for my stock parts and cash but he wasn't willing to take the time. His loss I would have paid 200...

I wish SSD had made one as I like the boxed look so Rc4wd hardcore axle looks like the one!

I'm completely out of control with rc again... I bought a Losi Rock Rey at the horizon hobby open house to build in the meantime. Besides what fun is RC if you don't have one for friends to drive to. Compared to the Axial Yeti this thing is really robust. Tons of aluminum very nice kit. For 299 it's actually a steel compared to the smaller Yeti which requires quite a bit of aftermarket parts like the XL if I understand. Then again that's half the fun. I think the Losi will only get some nice paint and T-Bone racing parts
Old 04-09-2018, 03:57 PM   #24

Yeah the XL Can be a bit of a headache but once you get everything sorted its fun and rewarding plus with all the information here you can make it reliable.
I am still looking at doing a CD conversion just to see what it would be like
Axial6768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:48 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axial6768 View Post
Yeah the XL Can be a bit of a headache but once you get everything sorted its fun and rewarding plus with all the information here you can make it reliable.
I am still looking at doing a CD conversion just to see what it would be like
How would that benefit the rig?

Built a TCS 1/5 Scale Savage Flux XL conversion (5SC flux basically before it existed) did nearly 70mph on a beach with paddles and would do standing backflips off its wheelie bar on 6s no less... Should have never sold it, but all these huge great rigs like the 5ive/DBX were coming out.

Compared the YXL to the monsters/large scale stuff out there. Despite its flaws, Its still the easiest to get parts for in its size group, and the most scale. Kraken conversions blow my mind how slow they are. 35lbs doesnt help!

Might be keeping the yeti out of sand but its hard to resist!

will see how it does first. New gears are going to be a MUST as is a robinson slipper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0XamwMv51E
Old 04-12-2018, 11:19 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Yep I’m all for the HR axle
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:23 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarHarborBasher View Post
Yep I’m all for the HR axle
Hey mate, I'm very close to being allowed to get a kit.

Is the 3 bearing mod on the rear all that's really needed to run 3/4s only?

As the kit comes with the beveled gears etc.
Edit: my mistake.. hobby shop said it came with bevel gears but it doesn't look like it from the website.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited by Spunkybob; 04-13-2018 at 01:41 AM.
Spunkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:43 AM   #28
RCC Addict

There’s a lot of confusion about the third bearing “mod” . Originally third bearing mod was strictly to reinforce the pinion which it accomplishes. I use the third bearing mod in conjunction with the pinion mod that I developed that removes the hunch that causes tight gear meshing. Tcruz also developed a mod that works for the third bearing as well By adding perimeter shims to help recessed opinion but I didn’t have as good results when I tried it. Regardless of what model you go with for the pinion the third bearing will always be additional support. I’d highly recommend installing a boot or deflector for the axle housing to keep debris out of the Pinyan and you’ll be good to go
Old 04-13-2018, 02:37 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
There’s a lot of confusion about the third bearing “mod” . Originally third bearing mod was strictly to reinforce the pinion which it accomplishes. I use the third bearing mod in conjunction with the pinion mod that I developed that removes the hunch that causes tight gear meshing. Tcruz also developed a mod that works for the third bearing as well By adding perimeter shims to help recessed opinion but I didn’t have as good results when I tried it. Regardless of what model you go with for the pinion the third bearing will always be additional support. I’d highly recommend installing a boot or deflector for the axle housing to keep debris out of the Pinyan and you’ll be good to go
Thank you.

I understand the 3BM is in case the outer bearing failed you still have that extra bearing to meet the pinion strait.

By modification you mean you YouTube video where you spin the pinion and cut the tabs off with the grinder?

I wish I was in the US and I'd send it to you (if that free offer is still valid) but alas I'm in Australia and I could not wait almost 2 months for the shipping to and from.

Is this issue still present with the bevel gears?

Old 04-13-2018, 07:46 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
thanks for all your hard work....

Any opinion about the RC4WD axle?

Sure is pretty. I feel like every YXL on the planet has hot racing everything... trying to mix it up a bit. (as if I'll run into a yeti xl at the grocery store that'll look to similar or something)
Old 04-14-2018, 12:35 AM   #31
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daign View Post

Sure is pretty. I feel like every YXL on the planet has hot racing everything... trying to mix it up a bit. (as if I'll run into a yeti xl at the grocery store that'll look to similar or something)
Pro mod Steve liked his rc4wd axle tho he did have a pinion mod. He really couldn’t say how it operated with a factory pinion.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:14 AM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

In saying that.. I think the hit racing rear axle is good because it's all one piece.. :-)

Old 04-14-2018, 04:55 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Pro mod Steve liked his rc4wd axle tho he did have a pinion mod. He really couldn’t say how it operated with a factory pinion.
I'll wait till I start seeing slop in the rear or blow it up for now I guess. I have both GPM and HR diff cups.... apparently doubled up
Old 04-14-2018, 04:58 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

I'm waiting on my Dhawk front bulk, also got his rear end spacer mod but i'll go with the 3 bearing mod. TBR goods on their way finally.

Barndog Aluminum panels are here. I think I might have a pro paint them up or print my own decals? BHB? You still doing paint broheim? PM me if so! Got some neat ideas!

Some random tidbits came in:

Scale Window nets
Barndog Aluminum Long Body Panel Kit, front fenders
Camber and Upper Arm kit American Machine Works Ohio
Castle Monster X Sensored ESC.
Axial Vanguard RTR motor.

The Vanguard 2200kv is a 1515 Castle Motor from its length/size, I imagine sensored is useless on a basher like this?

Castle sent me an email saying they're shipping the new sensored setup this week.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:00 AM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
I'm waiting on my Dhawk front bulk, also got his rear end spacer mod but i'll go with the 3 bearing mod. TBR goods on their way finally.

Barndog Aluminum panels are here. I think I might have a pro paint them up or print my own decals? BHB? You still doing paint broheim? PM me if so! Got some neat ideas!

Some random tidbits came in:

Scale Window nets
Barndog Aluminum Long Body Panel Kit, front fenders
Camber and Upper Arm kit American Machine Works Ohio
Castle Monster X Sensored ESC.
Axial Vanguard RTR motor.

The Vanguard 2200kv is a 1515 Castle Motor from its length/size, I imagine sensored is useless on a basher like this?

Castle sent me an email saying they're shipping the new sensored setup this week.
You’re gonna love the sensored motor man!!
Old 04-18-2018, 09:23 PM   #36

Quote:

I've installed the RC4WD axle on both my YXLs with the three bearing mod.

Before the axle but with the mod I went through at least six sets of gears (on my first YXL). One hard landing/rollover or too much throttle would kill the gears.
Since the axle went on I can do what ever I want & no issues so far after about six months of punishment. Very expensive but very happy now that I can use the YXL properly. But make sure you loctite the screws that hold the axle adapters on!

However as others have said the failures just move somewhere else.....
The ball on the front driveshaft failed yesterday on the newer YXL that hasn't seen much work. Sheared off and split into five pieces.
On a happy note though when I opened up the DHawk front bulkhead I found the gears in near perfect condition!

I don't have any HR products. Nothing against them I just haven't found the need for any of their stuff.....yet.

YXL
GeneralJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:26 AM   #37
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJG View Post

Before the axle but with the mod I went through at least six sets of gears (on my first YXL). One hard landing/rollover or too much throttle would kill the gears.
Since the axle went on I can do what ever I want & no issues so far after about six months of punishment. Very expensive but very happy now that I can use the YXL properly. But make sure you loctite the screws that hold the axle adapters on!

The ball on the front driveshaft failed yesterday on the newer YXL that hasn't seen much work. Sheared off and split into five pieces.
On a happy note though when I opened up the DHawk front bulkhead I found the gears in near perfect condition!

I don't have any HR products. Nothing against them I just haven't found the need for any of their stuff.....yet.

YXL
Just wanted to mention if you were destroying the factory axles/gears with the third bearing mod it wasn’t done right because I have punished the stock axles and they will take just about anything you want to throw at them if they’re properly set.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:54 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJG View Post

YXL
Thanks for the info its definitely my first choice over the HR.

I've got a few emails out to yeti owners on ebay asking if they'd like to make some more cash in a swap for my OEM new kit axle + cash. First guy took a bath at $440 fully modded everything, even Vanquish axle/ RC4wd wheels tires. Was going to offer $200 + stock parts and he said too much work. Ouch... Must be an RTR owner

My Dhawk stuff is still on the failboat i guess...

Good news is, I returned the Vanguard 2200kv for castles new sensored 1515y 2200kv.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:33 PM   #39

Quote:
Just wanted to mention if you were destroying the factory axles/gears with the third bearing mod it wasn’t done right because I have punished the stock axles and they will take just about anything you want to throw at them if they’re properly set.

Yep you're right I don't think I did a good enough job. My patience was thin at the time!!!

Hopefully the RC4WD axle will last for many hours!
GeneralJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 01:32 PM   #40

Subbed for later read
pdxrealtor is offline   Reply With Quote

Shame to not build an XL while hopups exist. So here we go - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The wall of shame... GREEDY GENIUS Chit Chat 30 02-12-2012 07:55 PM
the walk of no shame STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 0 05-23-2008 03:42 PM
A Shame tjb Chit Chat 4 07-25-2007 09:54 PM
This is a shame. RodyRazorBackc5 Chit Chat 6 10-06-2006 05:27 AM