Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Shame to not build an XL while hopups exist. So here we go

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2018, 10:27 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Shame to not build an XL while hopups exist. So here we go

I've built nearly every RC kit I can think of up until 2012 when I took a break. I noted the axial yeti xl, but it didnt quite perk my interest until a bashing video on 6s came up on tv on youtube.

I noticed tower had just listed the kits as DISCONTINUED! I've loved every axial build I've ever done and some I keep rebuilding for the sake of it. It'd be a shame to miss out on building one as a sand throwing dune jumping, golf course shredding RC bowling ball thats sexy af as well!

SOOOooo after an intense few days doing research into other bashers/axial bomber/yeti and the TFL bronco (soon the build looks borrring/short!).

Not to be one to waste time I burned up a credit card tonight. The castle monster x waterproof is on back order but its fully waterproof and telemetry enabled for futaba 4ch! Voltage amps etc!

Axial Yeti XL kit
Castle Monster X 1/8 Brushless Combo w/1515 Sensored
Savox SA1230SG Monster Torque Coreless Steel Gear Digital Servo
RC Screwz Stainless Screw Set
Hot Racing YEX160A02 Aluminum 6.8mm Pivot Balls Red
Hot Racing Axial Yeti XL Aluminum Winch Mount Front Skid Plate
Hot Racing YEX2801 Aluminum Front Shock Tower
Hot Racing Axial Yeti XL Aluminum Front Body Mount Base (Black)
Hot Racing YEX331G01 Aluminum and Carbon Fiber Front Bulkhead
Hot Racing YEX14U01 Aluminum Front Clip Upper Chassis Bulkhead
Hot Racing YEX311F Aluminum Sway Bar Front Yeti Xl
Hot Racing YEX4801 Adjustable Aluminum Steering Set
Hot Racing YEX47H Vented Aluminum Steering Post
Hot Racing YEX30U01 Aluminum Rear Shock Tower Cross Member
Hot Racing YEX30L01 Rear Lower Strut Tower Cross Brace Yeti XL
Hot Racing YEX311R Rear Torsion Sway Bar Set
Hot Racing SLS140T0202 Suspension Travel Limit Straps 140mm
TBR Top Roof Plate
TBR Diff Skid Plate
TBR Front A-Skids
TBR Chassis Skid
Crawler Innovations Deuce's Wild 3.8" XL Single Stage Closed Cell Tire Foam (2)
Apex RC Products 25T Futaba Red Dual Clamping Horn

I plan on doing something a little scifi oriented with the paint scheme, but clearly theres a black/red/aluminum thing going on. I may paint the cage and clear it, but would love to know others experiences. Too much work once the paint gums up?

I'm waiting to hear back from American Machine on the custom linkage front and rear before pulling the trigger on arms/linkage/axle/mounts etc...

for now im excited to get off to the races in a few days!

any tips? i'll go back to reading old posts! so many great mod images gone though!
daign is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2018, 12:34 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Shame to not build an XL while hopups exist. So here we go

Don't forget to order a set of Eddie's bearings (DO NOT use the original bearings) and also you have to do one of the two diff mods
Tzicul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 01:55 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Discontinued??

Bummer, hope there is stock when I get my bonus money.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Spunkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzicul View Post
Don't forget to order a set of Eddie's bearings (DO NOT use the original bearings) and also you have to do one of the two diff mods
Could not agree more... those are almost the most important
Walbum4262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:06 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunkybob View Post
Discontinued??

I checked both tower and axial webpages and on neither of one is saying anything about being discontinued
Old 03-27-2018, 06:12 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Thanks!

I contacted them about the shims/fix info and they sent me a link to the hot racing diff barrel?! wtf! Hobbico you guys need to get your support together. Answer my question at least? My last experiences with axial was when they were a small company pre-exo...

According to the net, the kit includes the HD gears now, and the shims...

Quote:
Discontinued??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbum4262 View Post
Could not agree more... those are almost the most important
Duly noted! I guess it shouldnt be surprising, with the yeti being the size of a losi Desert buggy 1/6th scale

I was actually eyeballing large scale 5b/5ive/kraken parts yesterday to see if I could get someone on the forums to get measurements on shocks/rear linkage etc...

Quote:
I checked both tower and axial webpages and on neither of one is saying anything about being discontinued
I verified it before setting my credit card on fire...

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LW3136&P=1

Axial site says unavailable too on kit/rtr. Its the whole purpose of doing the build. I'd hate to miss out on building one, and the opportunity to get all the great aftermarket parts while I can...

I had to take a break in 2012 or so after my exo build. The direction axial was taking frustrated me, and so did the build. I was really happy to login to RCC and find all the new model forums so busy...
Old 03-28-2018, 12:38 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by daign View Post

According to the net, the kit includes the HD gears now, and the shims...
It seems that, if you have the HD gears, you don't need any shims, even more, you need to remove the "lip" in order for everything to run smoothly. And this is the first mod. The second one is the three bearings mod, where you need to add one more bearing and a few more shims. Everything is explained in the respective threads.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:01 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Exclamation Re: Shame to not build an XL while hopups exist. So here we go

Quote:
It seems that, if you have the HD gears, you don't need any shims, even more, you need to remove the "lip" in order for everything to run smoothly. And this is the first mod. The second one is the three bearings mod, where you need to add one more bearing and a few more shims. Everything is explained in the respective threads.
I'll do some searching... axial did seem to infer that the HD gears should resolve the issues with the diff but then they provided me a link to the aluminum diff cylinders?
Old 03-28-2018, 10:59 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

OK guys, after doing a ton of research into linkage, hot racing builds (so typical for the yxl)...

I decided to pick up the suspension components after decided against hot racing...

Every suspension component front to back will be gunmetal....

GPM Steel Rear Main Shaft With Joints YTL237SNNBK
GPM Alumium Rear Chasssis Upper Link Mounts Gun Metal
GPM Alumium Rear Chasssis Lower Link Mounts Gun Metal
GPM Alumium Rear Lower Links Set (2) Gun Metal
GPM Aluminum Steering Knuckle Set (2) Gun Metal
GPM Aluminum Steering Knuckle Carrier Set (2) Gun Metal
GPM Aluminum Steering Knuckle Carrier Set (2) Gun Metal
GPM Aluminum Front Shock Tower with Body Mount Gun Metal
GPM Front Differential Case Titanium
GPM Aluminium Front Body Post - Gun metal

Got my Fast Eddyz bearings on the way. I verified the kit now comes with new gears. I got the GPM diff barrells front and back but none of the gears... Am I going to need to get an aluminum bulkhead despite all the reinforcment I'm going to do with the HR hopups?

Are Diff cases still melting with the shims and HD gears?

Got a Dhawk CNC diff enclosure V2 in my cart, and the CNC aluminum bevel collars red and 15mm diff shims...

Is this a must do? I read extensively about the rear diff issues. Will the GPM telescoping shaft resolve this?

All the BHB mod threads have no images any more because of stupid photobucket.. thanks guys.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Unhappy Re: Shame to not build an XL while hopups exist. So here we go

Quote:
Hope this helps

Yes thanks for clarification! I saw another boot on I think BHB yeti but it was blue.

All the boots I see are skinny for cvds and 1/10 scale. What part number or manufacturer did you use? Is that a brass clamp or c flip to hold it?

Thanks again!
Old 03-29-2018, 12:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Yes thanks for clarification! I saw another boot on I think BHB yeti but it was blue.

All the boots I see are skinny for cvds and 1/10 scale. What part number or manufacturer did you use? Is that a brass clamp or c flip to hold it?

Thanks again!
https://www.hpiracing.co.uk/piw.php?partNo=86479

I cut the narrow end until I had a snug fit and used a Copper wire from a installation cable that i twister until it had firm grip. I also filled the axle boot with marine grease to prevent it from being filled with water.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:48 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I prefer using the GPM front bulkhead instead of the Dhawk because it allows to use the three bearings mod. The main advantage of this mod is, even if one of the bearing is toasted (usually the one from the outside), the other two bearings allows you to avoid the havoc of destroying the entire rear axle.
An alternative to hd gear mod Just curious, can you see the pictures from my three bearings mod? Because I can still see them, although they are uploaded on photobucket
Now, it never happened to me to melt a diff barrel, but I destroyed one or two pinions because the four screws backed out by themselves, although I used threadlock. So this is the only reason I upgraded them to aluminium.
Rear driveshaft - I already broke two from GPM, one was the v 1.0 kind of speaking, the other one was the improved one. Nevertheless, both of them failed at exactly the same point, the articulation near the transmission. So now I'm back at the original, but modded, driveshaft.
https://flic.kr/p/XUF49v
https://flic.kr/p/25C2fHe
For a long period of time I used a combination of driveshafts, the Axial's front articulation and the rest from GPM, so I took the best from both of them. I still have it, I'm keeping it a a backup
https://flic.kr/p/22Sac4y

Last edited by Tzicul; 03-29-2018 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:37 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I prefer using the GPM front bulkhead instead of the Dhawk because it allows to use the three bearings mod. The main advantage of this mod is, even if one of the bearing is toasted (usually the one from the outside), the other two bearings allows you to avoid the havoc of destroying the entire rear axle.
Sorry..Got to ask.. how does the front bulkhead affect the rear axle?

I'm compiling mods/fixes in case I'm allowed to buy a kit next bonus.

I just want the bare minimum for reliability on 3/4s but since the kit comes with spirals I should be fine I think.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:39 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
https://www.hpiracing.co.uk/piw.php?partNo=86479

I cut the narrow end until I had a snug fit and used a Copper wire from a installation cable that i twister until it had firm grip. I also filled the axle boot with marine grease to prevent it from being filled with water.
Awesome. Thanks guys.

I did realize BHBs photos do exist, photobucket doesnt allow 3rd party hosting, so you have to click on each photo, rehost etc..

I'd like to compile all the fixes in one stickie. Obviously with bayharborbasher videos but I'll try and do step by step photos during my build for future yeti xl builders/owners. The info/mods is kinda hidden pretty deeply in the forum, and with all the pics missing, its hard to tell whats going on unless you watch hemistorms youtube vids.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:43 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Sorry..Got to ask.. how does the front bulkhead affect the rear axle?

I'm compiling mods/fixes in case I'm allowed to buy a kit next bonus.

I just want the bare minimum for reliability on 3/4s but since the kit comes with spirals I should be fine I think.

I was scratching my head a bit at this too.

3 bearing mod is for the rear driveshaft where the pinion enters the rear axle. Replaces the spacer that melts with shims

Its my understanding the front diff bearings were melting the cases causing gear mesh to get out of whack, blowing the diffs? So Axial introduced the Yeti XL HD gears that are spiral, and included the shims for the plastic front diff housing.

Please correct me if Ive got anything wrong or post links/pix. Maybe its better to start that stickie thread now and I'll organize it all
Old 03-29-2018, 03:58 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
An alternative to hd gear mod Just curious, can you see the pictures from my three bearings mod? Because I can still see them, although they are uploaded on photobucket
Now, it never happened to me to melt a diff barrel, but I destroyed one or two pinions because the four screws backed out by themselves, although I used threadlock. So this is the only reason I upgraded them to aluminium.
Rear driveshaft - I already broke two from GPM, one was the v 1.0 kind of speaking, the other one was the improved one. Nevertheless, both of them failed at exactly the same point, the articulation near the transmission. So now I'm back at the original, but modded, driveshaft.
https://flic.kr/p/XUF49v
https://flic.kr/p/25C2fHe
For a long period of time I used a combination of driveshafts, the Axial's front articulation and the rest from GPM, so I took the best from both of them. I still have it, I'm keeping it a a backup
https://flic.kr/p/22Sac4y
thanks for the photos and detail! I got the v.2 GPM telescoping shaft.

I had planned on running 6s, but know 2200kv is plenty fun on 4s so I ordered 2x 2s 7500 65C batteries as well until I can sort out all the weak spots in the diffs/shafts.

Out of curiousity does an aftermarket rear axle like the RC4wd or HR one eliminate the bearing issue or is the back still exposed no matter what.

Was considering eventually ordering the RC4WD axle...

I wish I could track down the guys at ohio machine works for their extended length rear trailing arms! No reply, was hoping they could make me a set

Their rear suspension is sexy and scale as hell..

v1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeE1arT6mOo

v.2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azsyw-v0YXQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y04FRQgPSU
Old 03-29-2018, 04:03 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

The pile of parts has begun! If my stainless hardware and the bearings come today I'll start tonight!

My dhawk front diff and more parts due next week. GPM stuff I dont expect for a while. Think the all gunmetal suspension will be a nice departure from the hot racing stuff. (which is REALLY nice)
Old 03-30-2018, 05:28 AM   #18

Quote:
The pile of parts has begun! If my stainless hardware and the bearings come today I'll start tonight!

My dhawk front diff and more parts due next week. GPM stuff I dont expect for a while. Think the all gunmetal suspension will be a nice departure from the hot racing stuff. (which is REALLY nice)
For rear axles there is some considerations to make.

The RC4WD has the diff inserted from the axle side.. and will be more difficult to do maintenance on. And still utilise the 2 ends over the axle and this is a spot for water to enter.

The HR axle has acces like the original axle from the rear ( easy acces without having to take the whole axle apart ) and the axle is in 1 piece so no water . further more it addresses one of the weak points. Instead of 3 bearing mod and all that ( bearings that is to small for the size of the RC ) it uses bigger bearings for the pinion.

I have not yet have my rear axle fail with the extra support I have on it but ones it does it’s going to be Hr axle for me
Old 03-30-2018, 09:43 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
For rear axles there is some considerations to make.

The RC4WD has the diff inserted from the axle side.. and will be more difficult to do maintenance on. And still utilise the 2 ends over the axle and this is a spot for water to enter.

The HR axle has acces like the original axle from the rear ( easy acces without having to take the whole axle apart ) and the axle is in 1 piece so no water . further more it addresses one of the weak points. Instead of 3 bearing mod and all that ( bearings that is to small for the size of the RC ) it uses bigger bearings for the pinion.

I have not yet have my rear axle fail with the extra support I have on it but ones it does it’s going to be Hr axle for me
Great info on the two differences. By what you describe the HR would definitely be the first choice for me.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 02:11 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Far out... It's a thing of beauty!!

For near $200 it better be bulletproof though.

https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=YEX12RX01;c=939

Shame to not build an XL while hopups exist. So here we go - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The wall of shame... GREEDY GENIUS Chit Chat 30 02-12-2012 07:55 PM
the walk of no shame STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 0 05-23-2008 03:42 PM
A Shame tjb Chit Chat 4 07-25-2007 09:54 PM
This is a shame. RodyRazorBackc5 Chit Chat 6 10-06-2006 05:27 AM