Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: The Skunk Ape....a down south Yeti.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2015, 05:18 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: The Skunk Ape....a down south Yeti.

Got a few "factory option" parts in.

Also, the spawn body started turning into more of a long term project so I painted up a new body, added a CFM full roof and detailed some of the body plastics.

CREEPINKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2015, 01:17 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

About to put some power to this thing but I need a little advice on which motor to go with.

My choices are:

Pro4 3300
Pro4 4000
HH Puller Pro 540

I run a 3300 in my 2.2 scaler and love it, but it seems it would be a touch too slow for the yeti. Initial plans were to go with the 4k but I'm not sure how it will do on temps running 3s. Last is the puller pro, I've never ran one and can't seem to find much info on them. What little info I have found suggests that its a beast though.

Gimme some ideas if you've had any experience with these motors and the Yeti.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:40 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Well.......4000kv=AWESOME!!!

Just got a few quick laps in the yard, in the dark but very little heat and stupid fast acceleration.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:58 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

I'm running the 4000kv on 3s and loving it. 12/64 gearing.
It ran at 160° though. I like to stay around 150°. I might try going 2s and gearing up.
Rig looks awesome, by the way.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:10 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poprivet View Post
I'm running the 4000kv on 3s and loving it. 12/64 gearing.
It ran at 160° though. I like to stay around 150°. I might try going 2s and gearing up.
Rig looks awesome, by the way.
Thanks! It seems just right so far. Plenty fast but still controllable. 13/64 gearing so I'll have to keep a close eye on my Temps too.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:40 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Super nice build Ya got going here. Your choice of parts is right on par with the direction I intend to go with mine, with the exception of motor esc, as I bought a RTR in box, and intend on beating the snot out of it before moving on to another combo. I ran the thing stock on 2s until it broke, and now have it completely tore down to the tub. I'm stuck ordering parts pay check to paycheck so I'll be a while accumulating it all, but watching yours come together is helping me keep my heart in it while I wait.

I love the detail gold painting your doing all around. That griffin radiator looks especially choice. Any tips on how to pull that off by a less than competent painter? I'm also weirdly excited to find out how that custom cut body you started with will turn out!

Keep up the great work you definitly have acquired a fan!
Rockwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:46 AM   #27

Is the only place to get a nice scale radiator on tss then get the integy fans or is there a place to get the whole setup. I also run a pro 4 4000kv but have been running it on 2s since that is what tekin recommends. I run a 20 60 setup it's got great acceleration not a whole lot of top end but it's plenty fun. You are running 13 63 on 3s right and you love it how long are your run times with running at full blast
simpscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:34 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Out of curiosity, how do you plan on keeping the hinge pins in place?
hobbez84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:47 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf View Post
Super nice build Ya got going here. Your choice of parts is right on par with the direction I intend to go with mine, with the exception of motor esc, as I bought a RTR in box, and intend on beating the snot out of it before moving on to another combo. I ran the thing stock on 2s until it broke, and now have it completely tore down to the tub. I'm stuck ordering parts pay check to paycheck so I'll be a while accumulating it all, but watching yours come together is helping me keep my heart in it while I wait.

I love the detail gold painting your doing all around. That griffin radiator looks especially choice. Any tips on how to pull that off by a less than competent painter? I'm also weirdly excited to find out how that custom cut body you started with will turn out!

Keep up the great work you definitly have acquired a fan!

Thanks bud! I hear the stock electronics are pretty decent. Had I got a RTR I would be doing the same thing you are.

I am horrible at painting but I got some sharpie paint pens off of amazon that really make the detail work easy. Heres a link.....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpscx10 View Post
Is the only place to get a nice scale radiator on tss then get the integy fans or is there a place to get the whole setup. I also run a pro 4 4000kv but have been running it on 2s since that is what tekin recommends. I run a 20 60 setup it's got great acceleration not a whole lot of top end but it's plenty fun. You are running 13 63 on 3s right and you love it how long are your run times with running at full blast
The TSS radiators are the cream of the crop. The one in mine is just the included axial plastic piece with a few details.

I'm running 13/64 and haven't really got a whole pack through it yet. The speed and acceleration is almost scary though. I do believe I'll have minor heat issues at full on racing speeds so I may have to fool with the gearing a little.

Was planning on running it pretty hard today but I ripped the shock body from the cap. Oil everywhere, but I do have some aluminum replacements and machined pistons on the way. I must have picked the slowest shipper in the history of E-bay though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbez84 View Post
Out of curiosity, how do you plan on keeping the hinge pins in place?
They are held in by a little aluminum collar with a set screw just on the inside of the arm. I also turned down some of the 4mm axial spacers to replace the plastic screws on the back end. You can see the collars in this pic......

Old 01-21-2015, 02:00 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

That is slick. I like your solution to go with the spacers to replace the plastic hex nuts as well.
hobbez84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:17 PM   #31

Thats a nice yeti you've put together! The pro4 4000 is what i would have chose also, or the 3300kv for more crawling. Cant wait to see more, your thread has made up my mind to order the yeti kit!
87warrior917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:27 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbez84 View Post
That is slick. I like your solution to go with the spacers to replace the plastic hex nuts as well.
I stole the idea from Binaryterrors build I believe. Went together real easy and I think the total cost was about 15 bucks shipped.

Wouldn't let me link the saved order but heres a copy and paste with the part #'s if your interested. You just have to grind a small flat spot on the rod and then cut it to length. I did it all with a dremel.

McMaster Carr
2900A256 2 Each High-speed M2 Tool Steel, Hardened Undersized Rod, 3.00mm Diameter, 2-3/4"l
9946K41 2 Each Set Screw Shaft Collar, For 1/8" Diameter, Aluminum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87warrior917 View Post
Thats a nice yeti you've put together! The pro4 4000 is what i would have chose also, or the 3300kv for more crawling. Cant wait to see more, your thread has made up my mind to order the yeti kit!
I appreciate it man! The Yeti is for sure a must own rig. The kit version just makes it that much better. Lemme know how it turns out if you end up getting one.

Last edited by CREEPINKING; 01-21-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:38 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

Well, the axial unis are pure trash. About 10 mins of light on the throttle passes, no jumps or hard rolls and they are twerkin' like miley. Bent like a paperclip. Looks like a D_lux OFNA setup is in the near future,
Old 01-21-2015, 07:10 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREEPINKING View Post
Well, the axial unis are pure trash. About 10 mins of light on the throttle passes, no jumps or hard rolls and they are twerkin' like miley. Bent like a paperclip. Looks like a D_lux OFNA setup is in the near future,
Awesome build!

Did you pull those little rubber spacer things out of the front diff cups when you put in the uni's? I got about 2 dozen 4000mah 3s pacs on my uni's and they still look really good.
ninja turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:53 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja turtle View Post
Awesome build!

Did you pull those little rubber spacer things out of the front diff cups when you put in the uni's? I got about 2 dozen 4000mah 3s pacs on my uni's and they still look really good.
Yeah, I tossed those aside when everything went back together. I did put some small o-rings in though.

I rolled it a time or two on grass while getting familiar with the throttle and did a couple endo's before I turned the drag break down, but so far its just been tooling around the yard. Maybe a full pack at most.

I'm kinda surprised they're bent already. I don't know if it's camber settings, or a bad batch, or operator error, or what. I just pulled the trigger on a BMRC/MIP setup so that should be the ticket.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:21 PM   #36

Quote:

Interesting to hear on the axial unis. I've had a set on back order for a few weeks now. I saw the ofna ones on the dlux site. Is it possible to just run the axles and not the rest of the set up? I'm not really interested in the weights and knuckles. If it's possible, do you know if they go in without any mods?
Endoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:31 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Quote:
100% Agree. The Axial uni's are absolute garbage.
Not just mine everyone in my club.
We have tried with o rings and with out.
I'm starting to think the stock dog bones are the best set up.
Also don't try the HR uni's they break opening the package.
SteveC6R is gonna try the Dlux set up also so fingers crossed.
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:00 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endoboy View Post
Interesting to hear on the axial unis. I've had a set on back order for a few weeks now. I saw the ofna ones on the dlux site. Is it possible to just run the axles and not the rest of the set up? I'm not really interested in the weights and knuckles. If it's possible, do you know if they go in without any mods?
I'm not completely sure but I think it's an all or nothing kinda deal. I was a little worried it may limit my wheel selection running that setup so I went with the Blue Monkey MIP setup instead. With that you still retain the "stock" knuckles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
100% Agree. The Axial uni's are absolute garbage.
Not just mine everyone in my club.
We have tried with o rings and with out.
I'm starting to think the stock dog bones are the best set up.
Also don't try the HR uni's they break opening the package.
SteveC6R is gonna try the Dlux set up also so fingers crossed.

I had high hopes after using the wraith and XR unis on a few builds but these are nowhere near the level of those. I was gonna try my best to make them work just to avoid going with one of the heavier beef setups.

SteveC6R has broken 3 or 4 sets of the uni's now hasn't he? I'll be paying attention to see how the Dlux setup works for him.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:03 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

I have had the blue monkey set up targeted since parts list (wish list) creation day! I hate hearing about the Axial twig units, but honestly I'm geeked to see how you like the BM MIP set-up since it's my top choice.

Oh and thanks for hooking a brother up, I ordered up a set of those oil based sharpies so I'm pretty stoked to start on some detail work

Oh and I was thinking, really not here or there, but I wonder if something like automotive vacuum tube would look cooler for the radiator? In my little pea brain it seems like the radiator hoses should be black? Not a crit by the way just a simple meandering
Rockwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:56 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf View Post
I have had the blue monkey set up targeted since parts list (wish list) creation day! I hate hearing about the Axial twig units, but honestly I'm geeked to see how you like the BM MIP set-up since it's my top choice.

Oh and thanks for hooking a brother up, I ordered up a set of those oil based sharpies so I'm pretty stoked to start on some detail work

Oh and I was thinking, really not here or there, but I wonder if something like automotive vacuum tube would look cooler for the radiator? In my little pea brain it seems like the radiator hoses should be black? Not a crit by the way just a simple meandering

LOL, twig units is about right. I'll make sure to post up some pics of the BMRC setup when it gets here.

You'll like working with those paint pens. A light touch and you can detail almost anything. Your right about the vacuum tube. That would be the ticket for the radiator hoses. Or just slide some heat shrink over the fuel tubing.

The Skunk Ape....a down south Yeti. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
F'noff the skunk way TheSkunkBuster Formula Offroad 21 05-23-2012 12:50 AM
South Carolina boy headed to south jersey for the week jeremyfowler33 New Jersey 10 02-23-2012 09:58 PM
Ape with an AK EeePee Chit Chat 5 01-14-2012 11:33 AM
My modified skunk CarterFab Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 3 09-13-2010 09:13 AM
The Skunk Build merrillon24s Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 6 06-17-2009 07:50 AM