Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: The Skunk Ape....a down south Yeti.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2015, 08:28 AM   #81
Rock Crawler

Default Re: The Skunk Ape....a down south Yeti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig n tahoe View Post
Super nice build, how are the hinge pins holdin up, how much did you have to grind off your knuckle to make the mip's work?

The hingepins are working out great for me. Ive cartwheeled it quite a few times, busted it into trees and they are stil nice and smooth. Most of my breakage seems to happen in the rear.

I had to grind a good bit off the knuckles. It was kind of a grind, fit, grind, fit method. Pretty tedious but everything clears. Just barely. I also had to grind a slight bit off of the top inside of the carriers.

My biggest issue is keeping the wheel nuts tight. Even with the CFM nuts they work loose.
CREEPINKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2015, 12:32 AM   #82
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREEPINKING View Post
The hingepins are working out great for me. Ive cartwheeled it quite a few times, busted it into trees and they are stil nice and smooth. Most of my breakage seems to happen in the rear.

I had to grind a good bit off the knuckles. It was kind of a grind, fit, grind, fit method. Pretty tedious but everything clears. Just barely. I also had to grind a slight bit off of the top inside of the carriers.

My biggest issue is keeping the wheel nuts tight. Even with the CFM nuts they work loose.
Hey CK have you found a solution yet to the wheel nut issue? Has anything you've tryed held out longer than the rest at least?

I just started working on mine tonight, still getting clearance for rims I have had zero luck so far in that department. I should have gotten 1inch wide CIs but grabbed 1.5 cuz I'm just smart like that......gluing the retardedly expensive Voodoo golds on before actually seeing how they work was yet another retard move I have pulled in a string of them! But I have no choice unless i except that I have yet another set of rims and tires unused that don't fitthat would make well over $400 sitting in a box mocking me! Well nuff of my grief just expecting to have same issues as you guys so trying to dot Is and cross Ts as I go.
Rockwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:54 AM   #83
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf View Post
Hey CK have you found a solution yet to the wheel nut issue? Has anything you've tryed held out longer than the rest at least?

I just started working on mine tonight, still getting clearance for rims I have had zero luck so far in that department. I should have gotten 1inch wide CIs but grabbed 1.5 cuz I'm just smart like that......gluing the retardedly expensive Voodoo golds on before actually seeing how they work was yet another retard move I have pulled in a string of them! But I have no choice unless i except that I have yet another set of rims and tires unused that don't fitthat would make well over $400 sitting in a box mocking me! Well nuff of my grief just expecting to have same issues as you guys so trying to dot Is and cross Ts as I go.
LOL, thats exactly why I shy away from glue on's. I would have probably glued a voodoo to my beard or something and ruined the whole setup.

The CFM wheel nuts have helped some over stock but making sure the foams were nice, straight and balanced in the wheels also helped too. I played with those for a good while to get the vibrations down to a minimum. Still have to keep the wheel nut tool in my pocket when I drive it but I only have to tighten them down like 3 times per pack now instead of 10.
CREEPINKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:32 AM   #84
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf View Post

Get wider hexes to offset the wheel.
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote

The Skunk Ape....a down south Yeti. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
F'noff the skunk way TheSkunkBuster Formula Offroad 21 05-23-2012 12:50 AM
South Carolina boy headed to south jersey for the week jeremyfowler33 New Jersey 10 02-23-2012 09:58 PM
Ape with an AK EeePee Chit Chat 5 01-14-2012 11:33 AM
My modified skunk CarterFab Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 3 09-13-2010 09:13 AM
The Skunk Build merrillon24s Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 6 06-17-2009 07:50 AM