Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: A Yeti in the Wolfpack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2015, 12:46 PM   #41

Default Re: A Yeti in the Wolfpack

What MIP part number did you use for the center shaft? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
A1Fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2015, 01:15 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

Some gorgeous parts you got going into this thing man! Your thread is hilarious too. One of my favorites in this section.

I'm looking forward to hearing how the Holmes motor works out. It should be an absolute rocket. I've found those RR steel spurs eat pinions for breakfast, lunch and dinner so make sure to pickup some spares.

The wrap looks good in the pics. If you haven't already, hit it with a hair dryer. It really helps work out the bubbles and waves.
CREEPINKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:07 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1Fiddler View Post
What MIP part number did you use for the center shaft? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
MIP #14390 x-duty c drive kit
Rockwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:24 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREEPINKING View Post
Some gorgeous parts you got going into this thing man! Your thread is hilarious too. One of my favorites in this section.

I'm looking forward to hearing how the Holmes motor works out. It should be an absolute rocket. I've found those RR steel spurs eat pinions for breakfast, lunch and dinner so make sure to pickup some spares.

The wrap looks good in the pics. If you haven't already, hit it with a hair dryer. It really helps work out the bubbles and waves.
Thanks brother, i sometimes think my humor goes over ...or perhaps below most peoples heads, so its friggin great to know some one at least is reading this novel of a build and cracking up a little!

I too am excited to get that dc powered monster up and growling, but at the rate I'm going i may not be done before next winter

and absolutely valid point on the robinson gears. I have had great luck running RR spurs with RR pinions with alloy mounts. that said, any deviation from that recipe has been disaster for me. the motor mount was the one that snuck up on me though, another RC guy clued me in on the flex rate and heated up properties of plastic and its neat way of letting your gear mesh kinda wander and cause you grief. once i replaced all my motor mounts to alloy my motors run a bit cooler and my gears last like you expect em to...least wise as long as i remember the lock tite
Old 03-21-2015, 04:24 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf View Post
MIP #14390 x-duty c drive kit
So you use the same shaft in the front as you do the rear? Or am I missing something?
Old 03-21-2015, 04:30 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
So you use the same shaft in the front as you do the rear? Or am I missing something?
nope more likely I'm a moron, as you can see i haven't had it in the tub yet so its quite possible it does not fit! of course it might....with my dumb as its always a crap shoot. But if no body answers this before hand, ill be able to tell you for sure when i try to put it in
Old 03-21-2015, 04:35 PM   #47

Quote:
nope more likely I'm a moron, as you can see i haven't had it in the tub yet so its quite possible it does not fit! of course it might....with my dumb as its always a crap shoot. But if no body answers this before hand, ill be able to tell you for sure when i try to put it in
Okay, according to info I found the rear driveshaft is roughly 142-147mm and the front is 103mm, so I don't know how much you'll be able to compress that shaft as I don't have any experience with them. I'll dig through MIP's product listings to see if I can find one around 103mm.

Edit: This might be our best shot, though I don't know how the outputs match up: http://store.rc4wd.com/Scale-Steel-P...5mm_p_819.html

Last edited by A1Fiddler; 03-21-2015 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:41 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Okay, according to info I found the rear driveshaft is roughly 142-147mm and the front is 103mm, so I don't know how much you'll be able to compress that shaft as I don't have any experience with them. I'll dig through MIP's product listings to see if I can find one around 103mm.
sounds outstanding Mr Fiddler! thank you for the help. You already saved me some cussing by telling me that i essentially bought that 2nd MIP for nothing, but its still in the bag so return time or exchange maybe if you find a correct size replacement!

hmm this one might be better

Scale Steel Punisher Shaft V3 (3.56"-4.35" / 90.5mm-110.5mm) 5mm Hole

Last edited by Rockwolf; 03-21-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:50 PM   #49

Quote:
sounds outstanding Mr Fiddler! thank you for the help. You already saved me some cussing by telling me that i essentially bought that 2nd MIP for nothing, but its still in the bag so return time or exchange maybe if you find a correct size replacement!

hmm this one might be better

Scale Steel Punisher Shaft V3 (3.56"-4.35" / 90.5mm-110.5mm) 5mm Hole
Glad I could help. I have plans to upgrade the whole drivetrain in my Yeti but never could find a beefier replacement for the center shaft (maybe it doesn't even need one?).

It looks like that RC4WD shaft I linked to should fit the transfer case output, but I don't know how the input to the front diff would work. It looks like a universal type deal instead of a standard dog bone. If I can figure out the front diff input I may give it a shot and if it doesn't work I'll just throw it in my Honcho since it's the correct length for that application.

Edit: There you go, I think either would work but that one has a little more wiggle room than the 3mm of the other.

Edit 2: According to the exploded view, the Yeti front diff uses a 5mm input shaft (http://www.axialracing.com/products/ax30408). In "theory" this should bolt right up, assuming there is enough clearance. I'm going to give it a shot if I can find one in stock. Worst case I just throw it in my Honcho which probably needs one anyway as I'm running the old school driveshafts on a HH 30t motor and 3s.

Last edited by A1Fiddler; 03-21-2015 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:58 PM   #50

So.... Indestructible front end, rear end, drive train, shafts, links, blah blah blah. When you going to upgrade the stuff that matters? I mean let's be real, everybody knows scale lug nuts is where its at....

Super awesome build. I will continue to by your left over to save your marriage or kids college fund or what ever.
Gixxer1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:21 AM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1237 View Post
So.... Indestructible front end, rear end, drive train, shafts, links, blah blah blah. When you going to upgrade the stuff that matters? I mean let's be real, everybody knows scale lug nuts is where its at....

Super awesome build. I will continue to by your left over to save your marriage or kids college fund or what ever.
Whoa there Gix, are you saying you got a lead on bullet proof lug nuts? Oh man I am so in on that brother

Funny thing here is, really not funny at all. I'll have nearly a complete yeti in take off parts when I'm done I really wish I had known this would end up becoming my first all in build when I started, it would have been much cheaper and smarter to buy a slider or something similar! Of course just saying it would be smarter sort of counts me out!

But the motor n esc has found a happy home in my Slash 4x4 MT so it's not been a total waste.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:14 PM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Glad I could help. I have plans to upgrade the whole drivetrain in my Yeti but never could find a beefier replacement for the center shaft (maybe it doesn't even need one?).

It looks like that RC4WD shaft I linked to should fit the transfer case output, but I don't know how the input to the front diff would work. It looks like a universal type deal instead of a standard dog bone. If I can figure out the front diff input I may give it a shot and if it doesn't work I'll just throw it in my Honcho since it's the correct length for that application.

Edit: There you go, I think either would work but that one has a little more wiggle room than the 3mm of the other.

Edit 2: According to the exploded view, the Yeti front diff uses a 5mm input shaft (Axial Racing - Steel Input Shaft 5x29mm (2pcs)). In "theory" this should bolt right up, assuming there is enough clearance. I'm going to give it a shot if I can find one in stock. Worst case I just throw it in my Honcho which probably needs one anyway as I'm running the old school driveshafts on a HH 30t motor and 3s.
Going through my parts box I noticed that somewhere along the line I must have late night drunk clicked an alloy center slide for the factory wild boar shaft set up. I also noticed that Axial included various length female tubes for it originaly. So from a quick lay them down next to each other sorta thing it looks like we could use wild boar shaft sets for the middle shaft. I have seen that SSD has steel upgrade female tubes as well. It might well be worth checking out as I already have the MIP shaft, the whole original drive shaft is doing nothing but going in a parts box, and I hate dogbone set ups anyway.

Last edited by Rockwolf; 03-23-2015 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:35 PM   #53

Get this thing done! Needs to bash rocks badly.
Gixxer1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:03 PM   #54

Quote:
Going through my parts box I noticed that somewhere along the line I must have late night drunk clicked an alloy center slide for the factory wild boar shaft set up. I also noticed that Axial included various length female tubes for it originaly. So from a quick lay them down next to each other sorta thing it looks like we could use wild boar shaft sets for the middle shaft. I have seen that SSD has steel upgrade female tubes as well. It might well be worth checking out as I already have the MIP shaft, the whole original drive shaft is doing nothing but going in a parts box, and I hate dogbone set ups anyway.
I had thought about that but figured it wasn't much of an upgrade, but maybe it is compared to the stock half-dogbone? I started searching for an MIP shaft that matches (didn't read good things about the RC4WD ones) but haven't found one yet. I suspect one of the shafts that I have coming for my SCX10 (broke a driveshaft over the weekend) will fit but you'd have to buy the set of two, or maybe piece one together.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:48 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I had thought about that but figured it wasn't much of an upgrade, but maybe it is compared to the stock half-dogbone? I started searching for an MIP shaft that matches (didn't read good things about the RC4WD ones) but haven't found one yet. I suspect one of the shafts that I have coming for my SCX10 (broke a driveshaft over the weekend) will fit but you'd have to buy the set of two, or maybe piece one together.
Well again, hardly an expert here but, if you combine steel SSD females with the steel joints that come stock, all you're missing is the steel male slider. At that point you have essentially created a bullet proof (ish) steel sliding shaft. Though I don't think this actually needs the sliding ability for this use, other than length flexibility. I do have a aluminum center slider, one that may or may not prove strong enough, but since I don't even remember ordering it, I don't see the down side.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:04 PM   #56

Quote:
Well again, hardly an expert here but, if you combine steel SSD females with the steel joints that come stock, all you're missing is the steel male slider. At that point you have essentially created a bullet proof (ish) steel sliding shaft. Though I don't think this actually needs the sliding ability for this use, other than length flexibility. I do have a aluminum center slider, one that may or may not prove strong enough, but since I don't even remember ordering it, I don't see the down side.
Right, if you already have the parts I'd definitely give it a shot. I'm just curious if the stock plastic shaft is a better solution than the metal half-dogbone. I'll continue my search for a MIP shaft that matches. I haven't yet checked clearances though so I'm not sure a large diameter shaft will fit in that location.

Edit: We previously determined that the Yeti rear shaft is far too long for the front. Unfortunately it looks like the SCX10 shafts are also too long and I have yet to find an MIP shaft that will work. I don't know if the Traxxas Slash male shaft will match up size/spline wise with the AX10 female shaft but that may be an option. We may be stuck with the RC4WD shaft. That is if we want to change it at all, but I would think it would be the weak link after changing the rear shaft to MIP and the front axle shafts to a Dlux Ofna setup.

Edit 2: Here's another option. Better than the RC4WD but still not MIP. Not expensive though. http://www.junfac.com/shop/index.php...roducts_id=251

Last edited by A1Fiddler; 03-23-2015 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:27 PM   #57
Quarry Creeper

killer build man, ill be doin most of those upgrades to lol… damn addiction
trig n tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:32 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

really interested in the motor, please post on how the torque is.would it not fit in the yeti?
trig n tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:34 PM   #59
Pebble Pounder

^ x2 Was thinking the same, how is the HH Brushless motor performing?

Thanks
Teenracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:53 AM   #60
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig n tahoe View Post
really interested in the motor, please post on how the torque is.would it not fit in the yeti?
Teenracer
Quote:
^ x2 Was thinking the same, how is the HH Brushless motor performing?
Ok guys I will be giving a real world full report on everything I can, and an in-depth account of this HH set-up just as soon as I actually finish this damn thing! So far though, it fits perfect and I have had ZERO clearance issues.

AND, thanks for stopping by and checking it out.

A Yeti in the Wolfpack - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti, Set, GO!!! FastEddy Bearings for the Axial Yeti FastEddy Axial Yeti 13 04-21-2015 07:33 AM
wolfpack any good MiddleT Electronics 11 11-07-2008 02:56 PM