Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: A Yeti in the Wolfpack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2015, 11:29 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default A Yeti in the Wolfpack

I have been bumming around here for a while now, gathering intel, ideas and opinions on this Yeti of mine. I bought it as an RTR with the thought that I would just run it as is, and not do anything to it but fix broken or warn parts. I was not gonna drop tons of money into upgrades...not this time! I somehow convinced myself that I could do that. It's funny how your mind tricks itself into believing ludicrous ideas to help justify another RC purchase.

Well this mind trickery continued for like a week, oddly enough it ended the exact time I broke the first parts on the model....go figure, right

Enough preamble rambling, let's begin the story of how a wild Yeti, wounded and weak, was taken into the unlikely folds of a Rockwolf pack and nursed back to health better and stronger than ever before.

Hold on to your seats boys and girls, you are about to view the only known picture in existence of a wild Yeti, wounded and resting on my Chevy's hood! Careful inspection has shown that this Yeti, may have been injured in some freak collision and even closer looks verify it also shows signs of previous wounds in the same leg from some sort of jumping mishap.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1629
Size:  96.7 KB
Rockwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2015, 12:10 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: A Yeti in the Wolfpack

Here is a picture of the operating room...not really cleaned up for surgery in this one though

Views: 1553
Size:  159.7 KB
Old 03-11-2015, 12:18 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

And last pic today before I'm off to work is the start of the first part of the mini project within the main project. I'm still waiting for quite a few things to arrive so I'll prolly be doing mini projects like this for a while.

Yep that's Wolverine riding shotgun! He is great at clearing fallen trees and trimming sheet metal! Not to mention he is a helluva drinker

Views: 1534
Size:  108.0 KB
Old 03-11-2015, 06:57 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Nice start with the wounded Yeti. But I think your info on it being the only existing picture of a wounded wild Yeti may be incorrect. You see..I too encountered a wounded Yeti in the wild with a similar injury that defended to be from some sort of frolicking our jumping incident. Although a rare sighting, not completely unheard of. But I digress.......

......let the surgical enhancements commence!
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:30 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0rtBus View Post
Nice start with the wounded Yeti. But I think your info on it being the only existing picture of a wounded wild Yeti may be incorrect. You see..I too encountered a wounded Yeti in the wild with a similar injury that defended to be from some sort of frolicking our jumping incident. Although a rare sighting, not completely unheard of. But I digress.......

......let the surgical enhancements commence!
I did not realize it was so common, makes ya wonder why those bigfoot hunters are coming up empty every episode
Old 03-11-2015, 11:47 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

ok had a little time to do some minor tinkering before bed. Since i have not figured out what to do with the tranny and transfer case gearing, I have decided to leave it stock for the time being.

But leaving a whole unit intact and stock anywhere in one of my RCs just seems like crazy talk to me, so since i have no actual mechanical upgrades to do here...what else could i do but add little blling

Views: 1310
Size:  97.4 KB

I disassembled the whole thing, cleaned it and added the HR transfer case cover, lubed it all with a bit of Vanquish synthetic grease and reassembled it all using the team KNK stainless screws. And for the non believers in the crowd...I even took pictures to prove it

Grrrr I am aparently becoming even more retarded than usual as lack of sleep takes over, because I have more pics of this oh so complex upgrade and I just know you guys are just chomping at the bit to see how I pulled it off...but there is no joy in Muddville as I can't seem to figure out how to get my pics to upload to the iPad without transfer all two million of them��

Last edited by Rockwolf; 03-13-2015 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:26 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Haha haha awesome beginning to a thread sir ...well played subscribed
dasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:02 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasco View Post
Haha haha awesome beginning to a thread sir ...well played subscribed
Thank you very much, I was beginning to think my Yeti story was going over people's heads or just totally ignored until you and shortbus commented!!! So again, thanks I feel much better about life in general now
Old 03-12-2015, 12:16 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Ok hopefully I can get these other pics to post
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2015, 12:34 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf View Post
Thank you very much, I was beginning to think my Yeti story was going over people's heads or just totally ignored until you and shortbus commented!!! So again, thanks I feel much better about life in general now
Lol...a lot of people lurk . You can tell by the views 👍
dasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:04 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasco View Post
Lol...a lot of people lurk . You can tell by the views 👍
guilty.

Though a lot of the time I'm browsing through my phone, and I'm just too lazy to type anything coherent on a small screen.

keep it up, I'll be certainly watching, maybe even steal a few ideas you might come up with.
hobbez84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:52 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Ok I am going to attempt this yet again. For some reason I am having one hell of a time posting more than one picture in any post. I have tried the last two nights to document my progress in photos but have failed every time and it's really sapping the fun out of sharing it all with you guys!

The next few (if it freaking works) are of my cage and tub. Yea not exciting I admit, but it's something a little different that I decided to try and I really like the way it turned out! So it's the perfect thing to highlight in pictures and share with you all.

I decided I wanted to paint the cage and tub but couldn't decide on color or with what type of paint I wanted to use, knowing these RC parts are notoriously hard to paint successfully. So after weeks of lurking, researching, and watching YouTube and countless ounces of beer I decided to use a cool textured silver black Fusion paint and to top it with several coats of Fusion clear to hopefully add some wear/chip resistance.

Views: 1264
Size:  109.0 KB
Old 03-13-2015, 10:54 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Views: 1268
Size:  135.4 KB
Old 03-13-2015, 10:56 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

This pic I haven't added the clear yet? Dunno why I diddnt take one after....but moron does come to mind....

Views: 1248
Size:  175.2 KB
Old 03-13-2015, 11:14 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Looks great, looks a lot like rhino/line x stuff.
hobbez84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:15 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbez84 View Post
Looks great, looks a lot like rhino/line x stuff.
Exactly what I thought!
Old 03-13-2015, 05:11 PM   #17
RCC Addict

That's definitely different.....I really like it! Looks like something you'd see on a 1:1. Keep on truckin'!
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:08 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Not built yet? Sheesh..

Keep those updates coming!
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:33 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Wow it's been one crazy night! My stuporvisor almost got fired, the shop was full of in fighting and back stabbing, like they smelled blood in the water

So I said screw this you bunch of 10 year olds, I took a half day vacation and got the hell outta there! Thinking I had the tiger by the tail, and a whole bunch of RC building time, I hurried right home! Then BLAM the wife ambushed me with a washer/dryer delivery at 0-dark early tomorrow! So I've spent the whole time disconnecting and removing old appliances and finishing the drywall "I would get around to" from like three years ago you see it was the back wall where the wife's pretty new appliances are going, so she may have reminded me in a you said you'd finish it years ago sorta way

But I did get my long awaited custom special ordered Yeti candy in the mail!! So not a total bust! No where near its pictorial debut but here is a little teaser:

Views: 1150
Size:  97.9 KB
Old 03-14-2015, 08:24 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Very busy day today, and progress was slow, but thanks to DickyT and his advise and calming mindset, i was able to get the front end of the "Rockwolf" this far before I moved on to other stuff...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

A Yeti in the Wolfpack - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti, Set, GO!!! FastEddy Bearings for the Axial Yeti FastEddy Axial Yeti 13 04-21-2015 07:33 AM
wolfpack any good MiddleT Electronics 11 11-07-2008 02:56 PM