Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: A Yeti in the Wolfpack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2015, 01:05 AM   #61
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: A Yeti in the Wolfpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1Fiddler View Post
Right, if you already have the parts I'd definitely give it a shot. I'm just curious if the stock plastic shaft is a better solution than the metal half-dogbone. I'll continue my search for a MIP shaft that matches. I haven't yet checked clearances though so I'm not sure a large diameter shaft will fit in that location.

Edit: We previously determined that the Yeti rear shaft is far too long for the front. Unfortunately it looks like the SCX10 shafts are also too long and I have yet to find an MIP shaft that will work. I don't know if the Traxxas Slash male shaft will match up size/spline wise with the AX10 female shaft but that may be an option. We may be stuck with the RC4WD shaft. That is if we want to change it at all, but I would think it would be the weak link after changing the rear shaft to MIP and the front axle shafts to a Dlux Ofna setup.

Edit 2: Here's another option. Better than the RC4WD but still not MIP. Not expensive though. http://www.junfac.com/shop/index.php...roducts_id=251
I can say that the wild boar idea was a fail. I am quite sure that it would fit with copious amounts of dremmel work on the motor mount, but as is, as you feared, there is not near enough clearance to fit a shaft that diameter. there is also a possibility of using a small lift on the motor/trans mount to gain the clearance, but too much probably raises the CG too much so one would have to be careful.

I will have to revisit this idea later as it is holding up the rest of the build. But please keep me abreast of your findings! because i may need to move forward, but I've never been shy of tearing into builds to fix or upgrade a part!

For now I just put the stupid dogbone back in, but it bothers me too much not to find a better, cooler custom approach to dealing with it!
Rockwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2015, 12:28 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf View Post
I can say that the wild boar idea was a fail. I am quite sure that it would fit with copious amounts of dremmel work on the motor mount, but as is, as you feared, there is not near enough clearance to fit a shaft that diameter. there is also a possibility of using a small lift on the motor/trans mount to gain the clearance, but too much probably raises the CG too much so one would have to be careful.

I will have to revisit this idea later as it is holding up the rest of the build. But please keep me abreast of your findings! because i may need to move forward, but I've never been shy of tearing into builds to fix or upgrade a part!

For now I just put the stupid dogbone back in, but it bothers me too much not to find a better, cooler custom approach to dealing with it!
MIP 9137 is our answer, though I haven't looked yet at clearances. It sounds like it probably won't fit if the Wild Boar won't (diameter wise).
A1Fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:53 AM   #63
Rock Crawler

Personally, I haven't had any issues with the stock center shaft. I could see where the plastic collar could be an issue but it's held up in situations where other things have broke. Knock on wood. I have a mip here that looks like it would fit but just don't see a reason to add even more excess weight to this pig.

Have you guys had problems with the stock center shaft?
CREEPINKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:52 AM   #64
Rock Stacker

Stock center shafts have held up from what i have seen. Its the rear that breaks very easily.
Priv Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:06 AM   #65
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREEPINKING View Post
Personally, I haven't had any issues with the stock center shaft. I could see where the plastic collar could be an issue but it's held up in situations where other things have broke. Knock on wood. I have a mip here that looks like it would fit but just don't see a reason to add even more excess weight to this pig.

Have you guys had problems with the stock center shaft?
Honestly I don't even think I have even read of a failure in the center shaft. That said, it only seems logical that if I keep bulletproofing every weak link, that chase will eventually work it's way to the center shaft.

And though completely UN-logical, I just look at that half doggone, and think to myself, that to finish the scale feel and look, it has to be replaced.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:11 AM   #66
Quarry Creeper

OK Got my Yeti's new shoes in today. I had to order new rims, because my EZ Locks from gear heads will not fit! Was having problems finding the tires I wanted in the compound I wanted, until I got ahold of Jason over at Krawl off road! He only had one set of Ottsix Voodoos in Gold, and they were for his own Yeti. He yanked them OUT of his build pile, and sent them out to me the next morning!

I have been at this RC thing, on and off, for over 20 years, and I can count the times I have received the level of customer service KOR provides, on one hand. In a time where owners can hide behind a PC and never interact with their customers at all, it was more than refreshing to have real interaction with a guy who cares about his customers, and actually loves offroading probably more than I do! I can't say anymore than you owe it to yourself to give them a chance, I did and was amazed and in one transaction, became a loyal customer....

Old 03-25-2015, 12:26 PM   #67
Rock Crawler

Jason is an awesome fella! He's somewhat local to me and has now become my "go to" for parts.

I know what you mean about the center shaft. Seems like it should need replaced along with everything else. I've broken two MIP pins in the rear shaft already so it's at least stronger than those. Haven't broken any since I put the Gunnar pins in though.
CREEPINKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:04 AM   #68
RCC Addict

Thanks buddy! We are here for that reason... we love offroading! Wither it is 1:1 or RC, we enjoy it as a family and the soul reason we do what we do! LOL trust me, it is not for the money! So, ANYTIME we can do anything for any of our friends (like letting you steal my Yeti tires) we will! We want to get everyone (new or old to the hobby) addicted to the hobby continues to grow. Growing up, RC's were a big part of my life and we want that for our kids and our grand kids, and you and your kids too!

So, looking good buddy! Thank you for the support. If there is anything else we can do, just give us a shout!

-Jason
KrawlOff-Road.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:57 AM   #69

Remember the center shaft has only torsional load. It doesn't experience side load or of axis loading. I would think it should hold up fine at least until someone comes out with one out of admantium. Stop stalling and get it driving. Cause this thing is going to be Bad A$$.
Gixxer1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:13 AM   #70
RCC Addict

Those shoes are gonna' look great, man! Props to Jason @ KOR for hookin' ya' up!
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:19 AM   #71
Rock Crawler

Pm sent brosive..sorry it took so long to respond.
dasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:49 AM   #72
Quarry Creeper

Thank you one and all for the help and comment so far in this build, you guys are the reason I love this place and this hobby!

Super Special double secret thanks to Dasco who just recently released a deeply guarded secret of his Yeti body mastery to me. I will be training at his monastery high in the Tibetan mountain range. I'm hoping he doesn't smack my hands with sticks While calling me grasshopper, but even if he does, it will still be worth it to me to get a trick ass Ford shell wrapped around my Yeti's ribs"
Old 03-26-2015, 01:55 PM   #73
Rock Crawler

Dude your word mastery slays me.ahahhahahh ...I would follow this build thread is it was a dog turd to read this stuff!!! Fortunately it is going to be an awesome build as well. I speak for most when we say we are damn glad to have a wolf in the Yeti Pac

But I must advise you to be careful about disclosing the whereabouts of my secret temple... It is only for the selected few ......Jk

Nice work brother keep it up!!

Last edited by dasco; 03-26-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:02 PM   #74

Soooo...... Update? Cause at this point I think I've broken everything breakable on my yeti bashing it to chunks and yours is still sitting there looking awesome. Stationary.... But awesome.

If your still waiting on my admantium parts, as soon as I get the material it will be headed your way.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:28 AM   #75
Rock Crawler

Yeah, what's up buddy? I'm just gunna leave these here for some motivation.

ninja turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:16 AM   #76
Quarry Creeper

Ahhhh
Motivation is a funny thing my friends, it comes from so many things in so many ways and from so many people. My motivation for finishing this has not dwindled at all, on the contrary. What has actually happened is my wonderful wife has simply, lovingly nudged me into being motivated on finishing the basement, the kitchen, clearing the two winter kill trees from the yard....the list continues, but I'll not bore you with details. The good news on this front is that the basement contains my RC workshop! So unwittingly she also gave me the go ahead to finish that as well! So though I have had little time for the Yeti project, I have been able to serve the greater good of ALL my RC endeavors by expanding and improving my work space!

Soon I will be caught up (however temporarily) with my honey do list and my workshop as well, and my building will comence with ferver.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:08 AM   #77
Rock Crawler

That's what I'm talking about!!!!! Sounds like your fired up and ready to get it going . Also sounds like you have a very understanding wife..hehehehe. measure twice cut once!!!!
Old 04-16-2015, 05:35 AM   #78

If you need help playing with chainsaws I'm in! Well except I live in Kansas and you live way up there..... But for moral support I am IN!
Old 04-16-2015, 10:17 AM   #79
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasco View Post
That's what I'm talking about!!!!! Sounds like your fired up and ready to get it going . Also sounds like you have a very understanding wife..hehehehe. measure twice cut once!!!!
Right.....cut twice measure once, got it😳 did I mention I belong to a building company started by my dad? CeC or close enuff construction! I have found that measuring twice only slows me down, besides first day at close enuff pop showed me the value of WIDE trim and caulk... Since then my building skills have really blossomed
Old 04-16-2015, 10:23 AM   #80
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1237 View Post
If you need help playing with chainsaws I'm in! Well except I live in Kansas and you live way up there..... But for moral support I am IN!
Gix

Come on man just pick up a load destined for northern Michigan, stop off at my place on the way, well fire up the saws, cut some trees, drink a couple cold ones...or since you are driving I'll drink a few extra for you, and you just hop back on 75 and finish your delivery! I mean it's so easy even I could think of doing it! Who needs the cave man from geiko when Ya have me around !

A Yeti in the Wolfpack - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti, Set, GO!!! FastEddy Bearings for the Axial Yeti FastEddy Axial Yeti 13 04-21-2015 07:33 AM
wolfpack any good MiddleT Electronics 11 11-07-2008 02:56 PM