Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Yeti rear axle losing power

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2015, 11:32 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Yeti rear axle losing power

I'm at a loss here... I get some clicking noise under hard acceleration and when I hold the truck I can see the rear end losing all power under load while the front continues to spin... I'm assuming it is the rear gears but I have the hardened axial gears and they show no signs of wear. Pinion and spur is fine, and with the rear end disconnected the front can take a heavy load and not slip.

I've never had this kind of a problem with a solid rear axle. I have the MIP driveshaft. I found a little play in the rear pinion gear, seems one of the bearings is a bit worn but none are seized or anything major.

Under load the MIP continues to spin but no rear tires so it has to be diff related... Just wasn't sure if it was just a bearing swap or what? The gears have worked fine so I don't think it's a machining issue or anything like that

I've taken the rear apart twice now so before I get any more frustrated tonight I figured I'd reach out! Thanks

Last edited by SoCal Crawlr; 04-17-2015 at 11:35 PM.
SoCal Crawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2015, 12:01 AM   #2

Default Re: Yeti rear axle losing power

Take another look inside and make sure your differential / carrier caps are installed and tight. My RTR yeti never had any caps installed from the factory!

I didn't even make it all the way through the first battery before it shelled out the rear gears. I called Axial and they made it right. They basically sent me a complete new rearend assembly.
tomc5179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 12:01 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

He said he has the hd gears so he has already been inside of the rear end to see if there was something missing.

do you have the stock locker in the rear. If so the inside locker piece is probably spinning inside that plastic locker housing. probably just enough friction to get it to spin the tires but under hard acceleration it slips inside the locker housing. Probably time for an aftermarket all metal locker.

stock plastic axial locker is known for stripping out inside with any kind of decent power and hard driving.

Last edited by mrhobby100; 04-18-2015 at 12:05 AM.
mrhobby100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 12:09 AM   #4

If it's not that, My guess would be the pinion bearing or cracked axle housing allowing the gears to shift under load. I'm thinking you shouldn't be able to feel any play in the pinion bearing as there is any awful lot of load there.

I put a thrust bearing in my pinion as well as a shim or two and it feels solid.
tomc5179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 12:18 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Bearing caps installed correctly!

Mrhobby - sounds like you're onto something.. Is there a way for me to pull it out and test it or should I just assume and order a new one? Like I said I'm almost positive that's the only thing left it could be

I'll order new bearings while I'm at it... Any recommendations? What about shims, anyone got a part number for those?
Old 04-18-2015, 06:03 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Unless I'm reading your post wrong, perhaps the driveshaft is slipping. Perhaps you broke the set screw and you see movement, but its actually just slipping on the axle pinion gear shaft.
Its early, so if that's off base, disregard.
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 12:01 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Are you using the Iron Cross locker or an aftermarket one. If its stock, its your locker slipping, Just order a HR locker and replace it. Good insurance anyway.

http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/hotscp125r.htm

OR

http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/gfspl7.htm
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 12:08 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Running the original cross locker, have the HR on order along with some fast eddy bearings! Thanks
Old 04-18-2015, 12:26 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Crawlr View Post
Running the original cross locker, have the HR on order along with some fast eddy bearings! Thanks

I run that HR locker, its a solid piece and should solve your problem
Cultus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 05:25 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cultus View Post
I run that HR locker, its a solid piece and should solve your problem
Been running the HR since 09, and been perfect. The only HR item I'll buy.
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:57 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I would not suggest the hr locker they use softer metals on their products to cut costs and for a locker i want sonething i know is never gonna break. I would go vp locker or one of the new holmes lockers. I run vp lockers with insane power. 550 brushless in my wraith with hd and vp lockers. Solid as a rock.

Take your rear end apart tehre are 4 small black screws that hold your large hd gear the ring gear to the locker. Take it apart and splut the ring gear away from the plastick locker and look inside you will be able to tell right away if its stripped out. Honestly those plastic lockers are crap ibwould order something better and jusy replace it anyway. Ypur gonna fix the issue and then sometime down tje road that locker will strip and you will have to work on the rear again

Holy **** look at my horrible typos. Hahaha its early on sunday

Last edited by mrhobby100; 04-19-2015 at 11:06 AM.
mrhobby100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Yeti rear axle losing power - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spider gears in rear diff (aka losing the rear locker) Sethmetal Vaterra Twin Hammers 2 02-26-2013 11:57 PM
8711 losing power? IDnewcrwlr Electronics 6 03-16-2010 05:08 PM
Sidewinder losing power spdyracer Electronics 5 07-28-2009 02:43 PM
losing power............. bob1961 Electronics 2 07-24-2009 10:33 PM
Loss of power in rear axle zach3713 General Crawlers 5 10-03-2005 09:25 AM