Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: running brushed esc/motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2015, 08:55 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default running brushed esc/motor

Okay been thinking bout a couple things. My yeti isn't built for high speed but for crawling. So I was thinking of putting a brushed esc/20t motor in it. Has anyone done this before me
If so how did it do? I'm tired of trying to crawl over things and the yeti cog and buck and lose momentum.

Last edited by Baggednissan88; 04-22-2015 at 03:45 AM.
Baggednissan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2015, 05:01 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: running brushed esc/motor

If your problem is sensorless running why not go sensored?
MonsterPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:36 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Because I have them sitting in a box in my room. Don't wanna take the time to switch if it would be pointless.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:40 PM   #4
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I had the same idea to crawl it, but it's just a turd... Biggest issue is steering absolutely SUCKS. Also just too wide to be fun, even narrowed as much as I can get it with hubs and hexes... It's only fun when you put some power down, and the brushed setup you put in better be able to take some voltage or it probably won't be any fun. I've currently got a Holmes BRXL and Traxxas 21T Titan in mine and even on 3s it's pathetic. Need 6s to wake it up lol... I robbed the sensored brushless system that was in it for a more important project, but that was the way to go...
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:00 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnFJCrawler View Post
Okay been thinking bout a couple things. My yeti isn't built for high speed but for crawling. So I was thinking of putting a brushed esc/20t motor in it. Has anyone done this before me
If so how did it do? I'm tired of trying to crawl over things and the yeti cog and buck and lose momentum.

Hey bud I ran my Yeti with the stock stuff for awhile. What you need to do to make it work better if you get energetic is to take your Castle link and turn the timing of the motor down to 0 it is preset +10 degrees, get into your front diff and at minimum Traxxas 500,000wt fluid, drop to a 12t pinion and most definitely run a BEC.

This will make night & day difference and help out at low speed. The timing won't eliminate the cogging but it will be noticeable, that and the smaller pinion.

If you have done any or all of this already, completely disregard my babble.
gdb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:47 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Right now I'm running a cc bec, front locker with lucas waterproof #2 red wheel bearing grease also is in the rear, and a 13t pinion gear on 2s

And i thank anyone that is willing to help. I guess I will go with a sensored motor. But wouldn't I have to get another esc. Cause I don't know where the little wire would plug in on the stock axial one.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:09 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Right now I'm running a cc bec, front locker with lucas waterproof #2 red wheel bearing grease also is in the rear, and a 13t pinion gear on 2s

And i thank anyone that is willing to help. I guess I will go with a sensored motor. But wouldn't I have to get another esc. Cause I don't know where the little wire would plug in on the stock axial one.
Yeah the stock ESC is non-sensored. Looks like you got things in order for slow speed but changing the timing will help considerably.
gdb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:36 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Well crud! Guess I'll keep it the way it is.. cause I don't have the program for the axial esc, I also have no laptop cause I never used it since I got a smart phone.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:37 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

What is a good motor combo? For a decent price.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:58 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

castle mamba max pro waterproof from holmes hobby and 1 of Holmes Hobbies waterproof brushless sensored motors. Is the best combo in my book you will love the slow smooth crawling and the nice ability to blip the throttle and get some nice speed too.

He has some new 4 slot brushless crawler motors coming soon too. I am running the 540xl puller pro. Really smooth low speed and way fast too. I was a lil reluctant to go from brushed to brushless but I will never use anything but a good 4 slot brushless motor ever. They are so nice. Plus my son has worn thru 3 sets of brushes since I switched to brushless and my motor needs no maintanence its sealed from Holmes factory to be waterproof.

Holmes also came out with his version of the mamba max pro its a holmes brushless sensored esc that is waterproof and he says it has a quiet mode to make brushless motors not so noisy.

Last edited by mrhobby100; 04-22-2015 at 09:00 PM.
mrhobby100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:21 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

How much did your setup cost you? And you got any pages where to buy?
Old 04-22-2015, 11:25 PM   #12

Holmes Hobbies LLC- Your Source for Power!

Last edited by [crawlosi]; 04-22-2015 at 11:58 PM.
[crawlosi] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:50 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

My setup was about $300-$350 I also ordered a waterproof castle bec from him so I got a waterproof mamba max pro, waterproof 540xl brushless, waterproof castle bec. Best electronics combo ever it was well worth my money I will have no problem putting the same setup in my sons rig. It has been running like a champ with no problems getting everything tested and adjusted on the computer with the castle link took an hour or so but once the settings were good it has been great ever since.

Right now I am running an all metal case savox 400oz servo which I like I would have gotten the Holmes all metal servo and set voltage for 485oz but he was out of stock he should have more of his servos back next week.

Last edited by mrhobby100; 04-23-2015 at 12:54 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:47 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I think I'll keep the stock motor in it for that price. I have a real truck I'm trying to finish. That to me is way to much.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:49 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Cheapest option IMO. I have run this setup.
Sensored ESC $35 Hobbyking® X-Car 120A Brushless Car ESC (sensored/sensorless)
Sensored motor $60 Turnigy TrackStar 1/8th Sensored Brushless Motor 2350KV

Better option

Sensored ESC $130 with easy pay of $40 mnth TowerHobbies.com | Castle Creations 1/10 Mamba Max Pro ESC Smart Sense
Sensored ESC Pick up a Traxxas ET-3s for about $60
Sensored motor $60 Turnigy TrackStar 1/8th Sensored Brushless Motor 2350KV
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:22 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Is all of that waterproof?
Old 04-23-2015, 08:02 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

You can also go cheap. Go buy a traxxas et-3s off eBay for like 60 or 65 bux, same thing as a mmp, re flash it to castle mmp firmware, than go get a used tekin pro 4 hd in your choice of kv and be into it for number 175.....
Rxracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:24 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I think I'll keep the stock motor in it for that price. I have a real truck I'm trying to finish. That to me is way to much.

That price includes a castle bec and all waterproofing. When you buy quality parts its not cheap but its not a bad price for what you are getting. I looked at my receipt and for everything shipped it was $314.00
Old 04-23-2015, 10:15 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Yeah I know. But like I said. It's more than I wanna spend on it. When the motor I have now still works, it may cog but still crawls decent. Maybe eventually I'll buy a better esc/motor combo like that. But my trucks needs to be road worthy by july 4th so I can cruise it with my club.

and thank you everyone for chiming in.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:03 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

If it's cogging that badly and a sensored combo isn't an immediate option, gear down.
Get the biggest spur, smallest pinion you can fit. I can't remember what can fit.
Gear down, volt up.
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote

running brushed esc/motor - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help brushless esc only running brushed. Bukwylde Electronics 7 07-10-2012 09:40 PM
what is the fastest, most durable brushed motor, running 3S LiPo, on AE-2 esc? ussprinceton2004 Electronics 3 02-12-2012 09:18 PM
running a new brushed motor in water?? m1009cucv Electronics 2 07-06-2011 10:45 AM
Running 2 brushed motors from one esc? T3rry Newbie General 5 05-16-2010 03:58 PM