Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: SSD Diamond Wide vs VP Currie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2016, 08:34 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: SSD Diamond Wide vs VP Currie

And any one of those could be the difference in bending an axle shaft or not bending one. There's no arguing the SSD HD shafts are stronger due to the lack of hex pin. Staying with the smallest SLW is a wise choice. The only plastic SLW compatible beadlock I know of besides Axials is the ProLine 6 lug Faultine. I run these and they're nice and light but I run them with TSL XLs and Flat Iron XLs so I'm not sure if they'd be ok with the tires you're running. I've seen them mounted to RBIIs and BFG Krawlers before with no issues.

I've cartwheeled a truck down the street absolutely sure I bent all four shafts only to see everything stayed straight as an arrow. I've also rolled a rig so softly it could've been wrapped in bubble wrap and bent a rear VP chromoly shaft. There's just so many variables not only with the build but with forces being exerted in different ways that you just have to do the best you can to build a stout rig, drive sanely, and hope for the best. If it bends just driving around then you've got problems. Even DLux's $500 1808 works of engineering art aren't crash proof. They sure are a nice step in the right direction though.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2016, 08:53 AM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
And any one of those could be the difference in bending an axle shaft or not bending one. There's no arguing the SSD HD shafts are stronger due to the lack of hex pin. Staying with the smallest SLW is a wise choice. The only plastic SLW compatible beadlock I know of besides Axials is the ProLine 6 lug Faultine. I run these and they're nice and light but I run them with TSL XLs and Flat Iron XLs so I'm not sure if they'd be ok with the tires you're running. I've seen them mounted to RBIIs and BFG Krawlers before with no issues.

I've cartwheeled a truck down the street absolutely sure I bent all four shafts only to see everything stayed straight as an arrow. I've also rolled a rig so softly it could've been wrapped in bubble wrap and bent a rear VP chromoly shaft. There's just so many variables not only with the build but with forces being exerted in different ways that you just have to do the best you can to build a stout rig, drive sanely, and hope for the best. If it bends just driving around then you've got problems. Even DLux's $500 1808 works of engineering art aren't crash proof. They sure are a nice step in the right direction though.
SCREAMER, thank you that was a very well put response.

Thank you very much.

Bringing the pain since 1968
Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:58 AM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Glad to help.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:02 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Just to compare, I run the same races in the same track and I had 2 axles problems in almost 1,5 year. One time the axle broke off and other it bent very minimal.
But I use the stock plastic axle housing and shafts, with vanquish lockouts, SSD steel wheels (heavier than aluminum) and axial plastic hubs, plastic trailing arms with axial steel plates.
In my Bomber I'm following the same recipe, SSD steel wheels and axial plastic hubs.

I strongly suggest you get the axial plastic hubs, is cheap and works great even with my MMX + 540XL.
Keeping some flex points may be the way to go.

I thought several times in get the SSD or VP aluminum housings because the amazing looks, but I just don't think is really needed, or more likely be worse to have it for race purposes.
DenisLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:16 PM   #45

I just bought the SSD wide axle a few weeks ago. First 5 mins I was out I bent both axle shafts jumping over a 4-5" round log (which I've jumped probably 100 times with the stock axle with no problems). E-mailed them and still no reply. That was on stock tires and wheels and the stock plastic hubs. Stock axles hold up better.
wrekd96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:20 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

You may want to read a few posts right before this..
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:31 AM   #47
SSD
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrekd96 View Post
I just bought the SSD wide axle a few weeks ago. First 5 mins I was out I bent both axle shafts jumping over a 4-5" round log (which I've jumped probably 100 times with the stock axle with no problems). E-mailed them and still no reply. That was on stock tires and wheels and the stock plastic hubs. Stock axles hold up better.
We haven't received any email from you.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:19 AM   #48

This is upsetting to read as I just dropped some cash on some Gearhead Derlin wheels and billet hubs now I've increased my chances of bending axles arrrg
Slowrider998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:34 AM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowrider998 View Post
This is upsetting to read as I just dropped some cash on some Gearhead Derlin wheels and billet hubs now I've increased my chances of bending axles arrrg
Delrin is plastic and pretty light.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:56 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

I run a SSD Wide Yeti in the back of mine. I drive it like I don't give a shit with a 3500kv xl puller pro on 3s with a 2speed. So naturally I bent the stock axles in it. Once I put my CBRB axles in the worries are gone of bending the axles and trust me this thing flies. With the Cberfab Yeti X conversion this thing is no light weight. I run the metal mips in the front because I got this thing to beat on.

Last edited by ManiacMagoo; 05-11-2016 at 11:01 PM.
ManiacMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:03 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Quick update...
The SSD Yeti wide centered HD axial shafts are complete shite.

Even with no rollovers or cartwheels at least 1 bends on every race day.

I am selling the SSD axle and going with a centered F9 Currie...

I am thoroughly disgusted with the utter failure on SSD 's part to use better alloy and metallurgy technics.

I am so saddened by this due to how good looking their axle housing is.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Last edited by Vengeance; 03-02-2017 at 10:06 PM.
Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:53 AM   #52

OP they are both great choices, bang for the buck i like the SSD for the yeti. Ive ran VPs on other vehicles, not knocking them at all. But ive had good luck with the SSD and the HD axles.

Just an fyi, i just purchased a second SSD wide diamond from RPP via Amazon. IT INCLUDED THE HD AXLES...
Wraiph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:59 AM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Anybody with issues with HD shafts?
Taper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 09:35 AM   #54
Pebble Pounder

The HD shafts in mine have held up great to the considerable abuse I have dished out to them. The original standard shafts that came with my rear end however were pretty much as Vengeance stated above.
Rumpelhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:17 PM   #55

New Yeti Score owner here. Curious if the rear axle options have evolved at all. I understand SSD makes a wide rear axle that provides comparable width for the tires.

I bought this kit because always loved Short Course but wanted a more realistic scale version. SSDs wide aluminum axle doesn’t look realistic to me (I do like the look of their nylon HD D60 centered rear axle) so did Vanquish ever release a yeti width Currie rear axle? I noticed there was reference to an F9 solution coming which would be more appropriate for the Yeti.

Can someone please provide some guidance on the latest & greatest rear axles available for the Yeti. I love the look for the Vanquish Currie axles but open to other brands as well. Any insight greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Khofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:36 PM   #56

I just pulled my Yeti out, 2 weeks ago i bought an SSD rear axle, i been bashing every since quarantine, axle is holding up. I love the Currie axle, but good luck finding one.

The SSD axle is full length, big ++++, you'll need to run 225 slw to match the front track width
Grouchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:35 AM   #57
RCC Addict

I run the SSD Wide Diamond for a long time now. Bigest difference to the currie is that you don't need the wobbeling lockouts to match the front width.

This prevents bended axles run still the first ones....
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:29 PM   #58

Yea I also noticed SSD makes a centered pumpkin HD D60 rear axle in nylon that can use the widening kit. Believe that can also use the HD axles if needed so tempted to go that route (unless anyone has some reasons to avoid) It’s funny have that one looks more scale appropriate to me than their aluminum one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Khofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:58 PM   #59

Good luck finding the widen kit here in the US for the HD D60, everyone has them on backorder. I found someone on eBay selling them but the person was in China, don't think you will see any shipment coming from China for a while. I emailed SSD a few weeks ago, they don't think they are going to make them anymore since the platform has been discontinued.
Grouchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:14 PM   #60
Rock Stacker

The SSD HD wide centered axle housing that comes with the HD axles with no pin holes and the end caps are awesome. I had the Vanquish Rockjock Currie and although it looked nice it was slop city. It was so bad I took it right back off and sold it (glad I never ran it or put threadlock on it!) then I read how easily the axles bent. I like my Vanquish wheels but the SSD HD wide centered axle is light years ahead.
Deadbydawn is offline   Reply With Quote

SSD Diamond Wide vs VP Currie - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Currie F9? Rockjocks? SSD Diamond Axles? 701scaler Axial SCX-10 24 04-02-2016 08:13 AM
Vanquish Currie F9? Vanquish Jockrocks? SSD Diamond Axles? 701scaler 1.9 Scale Rigs 15 01-04-2016 09:39 PM
Vanquish Currie F9? Vanquish Jockrocks? SSD Diamond Axles? 701scaler General Crawlers 6 01-04-2016 10:06 AM
SSD wide diamond axle install instructions? oosel Axial Yeti 4 11-05-2015 06:42 PM