Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Vendors Market > Axles, Trannys, T-case
Loading

Notices

Like Tree19Likes

Thread: GCM Transfer Case

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #61
SuperShafty.com
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Visalia CA
Posts: 2,931
Default

Mine slide on fine. No problems with the shafts.
mjderstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2013, 09:46 AM   #62
Moderator
 
badhoopty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: chicago
Posts: 2,807
Default Re: GCM Transfer Case

all it takes is a little buggering of the shaft finish from driveshaft yokes and its a fight to remove or install the bearings, at least for me... i had a hell of a time on one of my gcm tcases removing the bearings, after i got them off it was an easy fix by chucking the shafts in a drill and deburring them.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #63
RC Parts Made in Canada
 
Generis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Crawling Around
Posts: 910
Default Re: GCM Transfer Case

Hey, all.


Here's a TECH UPDATE

If you are getting a locked tcase when assembling the case screws, I have an idea that should fix your issues.

After having looked through the batch of gears we have in house, I found out many of them are quite a bunch thicker than we normally have. We have clearance in the case for a gear that's 0.480 thick up to 0.485, and many in this batch are up to 0.493... which means when you put the case halves together you will get a locked (binding) t-case.
If that's happening to you then here's a simple fix.
**NOTE: we are opening up the free space in the next production run to clear this up forever** ... but for now....

The gears you MAY have in your kit are like this:



and they should be closer to this:



So the solution is this:



Just have at it on the flat side of a bench grinder or something like that. Dremel or whatever. You can take off ALOT and still have no problems with T-Case reliability or whatever. If you go too far, then add a shim if you want!

** This is not our standard practice, as you know, but it seems there may be some of these big gears out there already! If you find one, and don't want to return it for repairs, then just grind! And it's fixed!**
We will check each one in this batch for consistency and then revise the next production run to make more space. I know there's at least 2 of them out there, as the builders called in to GCM to report, but if there's more, send us a note or grind away! We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thanks,
GCM Customer Service
Natedog likes this.
Generis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #64
Fan of wheelspeed
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Southern IN
Posts: 3,423
Default Re: GCM Transfer Case

Just ordered a SCX10 kit. Glad to hear you've found the issue, I can't wait to get mine.
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:53 AM   #65
SuperShafty.com
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Visalia CA
Posts: 2,931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generis View Post
Hey, all.


Here's a TECH UPDATE

If you are getting a locked tcase when assembling the case screws, I have an idea that should fix your issues.

After having looked through the batch of gears we have in house, I found out many of them are quite a bunch thicker than we normally have. We have clearance in the case for a gear that's 0.480 thick up to 0.485, and many in this batch are up to 0.493... which means when you put the case halves together you will get a locked (binding) t-case.
If that's happening to you then here's a simple fix.
**NOTE: we are opening up the free space in the next production run to clear this up forever** ... but for now....

The gears you MAY have in your kit are like this:



and they should be closer to this:



So the solution is this:



Just have at it on the flat side of a bench grinder or something like that. Dremel or whatever. You can take off ALOT and still have no problems with T-Case reliability or whatever. If you go too far, then add a shim if you want!

** This is not our standard practice, as you know, but it seems there may be some of these big gears out there already! If you find one, and don't want to return it for repairs, then just grind! And it's fixed!**
We will check each one in this batch for consistency and then revise the next production run to make more space. I know there's at least 2 of them out there, as the builders called in to GCM to report, but if there's more, send us a note or grind away! We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thanks,
GCM Customer Service
Wow man great info here. I will come forward and lay claim to one who has this problem. I plan to fix this tonight with my Dremel and files. Thanks gcm for the Tech update.

I will post some before and after pics tonight too for anyone else who base this issue.
mjderstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #66
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rancho Relaxo. California. USA. Earth.
Posts: 3,261
Default

Also I feel a golf clap is in order for gcm. A clear and concise post outlining the problem with an option to fix or send in for replacement... Rather than an outright denial of a problem deserves some of my business
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #67
SuperShafty.com
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Visalia CA
Posts: 2,931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
Also I feel a golf clap is in order for gcm. A clear and concise post outlining the problem with an option to fix or send in for replacement... Rather than an outright denial of a problem deserves some of my business
A golf clap? Is that just a nice quiet celebratory clap of the hands? ;)
mjderstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #68
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rancho Relaxo. California. USA. Earth.
Posts: 3,261
Default

Precisely
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #69
RC Parts Made in Canada
 
Generis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Crawling Around
Posts: 910
Default Re: GCM Transfer Case

Nah, I prefer you just buy stuff
Thanks for the props, men! I can't see any purpose in delaying a truck build!
Generis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #70
SuperShafty.com
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Visalia CA
Posts: 2,931
Default Re: GCM Transfer Case

here is what i did. took .01" off and it worked perfect smooth at butter.

little dremel work in the vice and its all good!!!



Last edited by mjderstine; 03-13-2013 at 07:28 PM.
mjderstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #71
RC Parts Made in Canada
 
Generis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Crawling Around
Posts: 910
Default Re: GCM Transfer Case

Congrats man, great job!
Generis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:51 PM   #72
SuperShafty.com
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Visalia CA
Posts: 2,931
Default Re: GCM Transfer Case

took all of 5 minutes. thanks again man. love these things. probably the best t-case on the market by a long shot
17dean likes this.
mjderstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #73
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: wherever paypal sais.
Posts: 1,733
Default Re: GCM Transfer Case

I got mine. Assembly was a breeze. . Love this tough little t case
kaneohecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:23 PM   #74
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Portland
Posts: 214
Default Re: GCM Transfer Case

Took 4 trips out to the grinder because I dont have a caliper but I do now have a working Transfer case that isn't binding. Thankyou for posting the solution.
mjderstine likes this.
rcwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #75
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 892
Default Re: GCM Transfer Case

Are the ones you are currently selling still the ones that need this little bit of grinding? Its not a deal breaker for me I am just curious.
sgtbham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #76
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rancho Relaxo. California. USA. Earth.
Posts: 3,261
Default Re: GCM Transfer Case

I got one a couple months ago straight from gcm and it went together butter smooth.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #77
RC Parts Made in Canada
 
Generis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Crawling Around
Posts: 910
Default Re: GCM Transfer Case

There were only I think 8 tcases that went out with oversized gears. Never after that or before. We have brand new production on Tcases every month. These oversize gear ones are way gone.
Generis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:24 AM   #78
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Williston
Posts: 840
Default Re: GCM Transfer Case

Bump for an excellent t-case. I just put in my order for my second one!

L.R.
LoneRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:29 PM   #79
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generis View Post
There were only I think 8 tcases that went out with oversized gears. Never after that or before. We have brand new production on Tcases every month. These oversize gear ones are way gone.

I had to do this to my gear, I purchased mine last spring.
skerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:28 PM   #80
RC Parts Made in Canada
 
Generis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Crawling Around
Posts: 910
Default Re: GCM Transfer Case

Here's a new assembly video and showcasing the new Transfer Case Shafts with screw pin holes!

GCM 1:1 Transfer Case Assembly and Update - YouTube


Last edited by Generis; 01-18-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Generis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com