Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > West > California

Notices

Thread: South Bay Scalers RC club

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 08:08 AM   #41
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep View Post
sorry for the late reply, I've been busy with the new baby. I think saturday morning will be fine. I can hang out for bit. propably have the wife and kids at the playground. How's 10am sound and the Dana Rock. I really would just like to meet the new guys and crawl for bit.

just copy this list into your post
1. rckjeep
2. redwood
were is dana rock?
Redwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2009, 09:00 AM   #42
I joined the Band!

sorry for the late reply, I've been busy with the new baby. I think saturday morning will be fine. I can hang out for bit. propably have the wife and kids at the playground. How's 10am sound and the Dana Rock. I really would just like to meet the new guys and crawl for bit.

just copy this list into your post
1. rckjeep
2. Grimgard + 2
3. redwood

its in San Jose just google map it.

The first spot is in Berkerley @ Indian Rock Park
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...03951&t=h&z=19

The second spot is in San Jose @ Danna Rock Park
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...h&z=19&iwloc=A

Last edited by grimgard; 06-12-2009 at 10:07 AM.
grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:39 AM   #43
Rock Crawler

with the digital transition hitting the air today i will be working all weekend i wont be able to make it this weekend or next have fun guys!
punkuup5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:20 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

1. rckjeep
2. Grimgard + 2
3. redwood
4. Cruiserhead +1 observer
CruiserHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:04 PM   #45
I joined the Band!

Getting excited about going out for some crawling fun tomarrow. charging my batteries up and will be at Danna Rock Park around 10am

Looks like we have 5 or more people so it should be a blast.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:21 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

I did a Google Earth search for "rock formations" close to my house today. I remembered playing at Almaden Lake park as a kid on rocks at the South end, so I checked it out, then I drove over there and ripped it up. It is not gigantic, but it has some very challenging rocks anjd a few little trail type crawls through rocks to Crawl. Rocks on both sodes of bridge...I also found a little trail that goes to the top of a hill behind the San Jose City Parks offices. Fun little hill climb, one section has a scale-like rock obstacle, a few rocks on top(not really for my WK but maybe a Crawler then back down. Don't know if it would be worth it to drive super far for this, but I spent almost 3 hours there beating the crap out of my truck with a huge smile on my face! My tranny slipper is screwed even after I locked it with hot glue, so it is apart for now waiting for the JIA or sililar conversion...WK talk for " screws through the plastic to hold it"!!!

I suck at remembering the camera

See ya at 10 AM!!!

JB
Old 06-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #47
I joined the Band!

Its 8:30am and its raining lightly in Fremont is it raining in San Jose?
Old 06-13-2009, 10:01 AM   #48
I wanna be Dave

nope, looks like it might. I was going to ride my bike there towing my gear.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:31 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

I'm looking at doing the first Team trials event in July. I've got the 18th & 25th open.

edit: one thing I thought of today is that we need to remember that this rigs need to be capable. The courses can be tough and with Team trials an uncapable rig hurts your teammate as well. Just consider that when building, modifying or contemplating your next mod. Teams will be picked at random at each event. So the guy with a really tall rig(for example) that doesn't sidehill for what it's worth could end up keeping you from the finsihline.

Last edited by rckjeep; 06-14-2009 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:19 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Rules for "Team Trials"

1) Each team will consist of 2 vehicles and 2 drivers, picked at random before event.

2) The team will run the course together, trying for the cleanest run, time will be kept for tie-breakers and to keep the event moving along. The team to finish the course with the fewest points will win. Both trucks must cross the finish line. Roll-overs are a heavier penalty than time- IE the team with fewer roll-overs and a longer time will beat a team with more roll-overs and a shorter time.

3) All vehicles MUST COMPLY:
Scale rules

The 1.9 scale class will be limited to all 1.9" rim sized rigs(or smaller)

- This class is for the typical street legal rigs, that you run off road. aka a daily driver / weekend wheeler, something you would drive to and from the trail.
- You may cut down and modify a 2.2 tire to fit a 1.9 rim, you will get a point penalty for this , *see below*
- All OEM 1.9" tires are legal, any modified tire can be no larger than 4.4"
- Track width can be NO more than 9.5" in the 1.9 class
- Flywheels brand wheels, CAC 2.0 wheels, 1/18 scale Nylint brand wheels and tires will be allowed.
- You must run a complete body, including bumpers, fenders, doors & tailgates. Some fender trimming is allowed but the basic shape must be retained, Fenders may be cut, or flat fendered, but it must resemble a 1:1 rig you'd see on the street. If you remove the tailgate, you must have a complete floor and drop bed. If you want to remove your doors, you must run a full interior. "Iffy" Vehicles must be approved by the club with a 2/3 majority vote.
- A shortened or lengthened body is allowable. A tubular bed must have a Functional bed area capable of carrying a full-size spare (rear fender and tailgate rules do not apply to tubed beds).
- No 4 wheel steer or rear steer at all! If you have more than 2 axles, the FRONT axles are the ONLY ones that can steer.
- No " DIG " of any kind is allowed.
- Wheelbase is limited only by your body, and must fit in your fender wells.
- Vehicle must have a frame-railed chassis. Tubular frame rails are ok.
- Vehicle battery must be mounted on the chassis. You CANNOT mount the battery ON the steering servo/axle/upper links. The goal is to place the battery where it is not visible for a more scale appearance.
- You may add weight to your wheels, but you are only allowed a maximum of 12 TOTAL oz's. You can put it in whichever wheels you want, but 12 oz is the total.

If you feel your rig is borderline, be prepared to modify it if it does not pass tech inspection. AND/ OR bring a BACKUP rig just incase.

" TUBERS” May be used in conjunction with the minimum requirements for said chassis. The wheelbase must be within ½” of each end of the chassis. For example, if your chassis is 10” long, your wheelbase can only stick out ½” of either side making an 11” wheelbase. The chassis can only be 1” narrower than the inside track width. Minimum height is 4.25”

NOTE: this does not apply if you have a truggy or back halfed truck with a conventional frame and cab.

NO COMP OR TVP CHASSIS, NO FRAME EXTENSIONS TO MAKE IT SCALE EITHER, PERIOD. THIS IS A SCALE EVENT GUYS. Example of these chassis are: SWX, J2-TT, GC-2, etc.... also, NO MOA axles in ether class.

Handicap points

There will points deducted for these scale items, these will happen at tech inspection and be deducted from your final TOTAL score at the end of the day. " Max deduct points per rig is 25 "

1. Hard body -5
2. Leaf sprung, 1 axle -2, both axles -5
3. Trailer " must be towed during entire comp " -5
4. Interior -3 , with driver -5
5. Spare tire" Functional " -3 , looks only -1
6. Winch for looks only -1
7. Winch Functional - 3
8. Led's of any kind, must be front and rear and functional during comp -2
9. Bumpers, front -1 , rear -1, both -3
10. Tube frame, exo cage, tube bed, must be made of METAL -3
11. Roof rack, ladder rack, headache rack, must be made of metal -2
12. Boat or canoe, must be removable -3
13. Un-modded OEM tires -3 , this is for 1.9 and 2.2, modded tires, 1.9 class only +2 , 2.2 modded tires will not be penalized.
14. Chassis mounted steering servo -5 , Axle mounted servo +2
15. Camping stuff - Cooler, sleeping bags , tent, camping gear, shovel , axe -1
16. Recovery stuff - hi-lift jack, tools, pick, jerry can, Functional tow strap, d-rings, snatch block -1
" ^^^^ You must have 4 of these items on line 15 and or 16 to receive a -1, you may add more, but no points will be awarded. "

Scoring Points :

Gate progress -1
Reverse +1, you will get 1 free reverse per gate
Gate +5
Reposition +10
Rollover +5
Touch +5
Repair +10, " no time limit on repair " you will receive 1 minute added to your time when you return to the course
Winching / Rescue , you +2, get help +5 * see below *
DNF highest score +20
DNS highest score +50

Winching:

- if you use YOUR winch on YOUR truck, +2
- if someone winches you or tow straps you , Rescue +5

Tire Modding:

- What we consider a tire mod, narrowing, sectioning, reducing, sanding down, sipping or cutting, putting two styles together.
- Any of these things will constitute a " MODDED " tire and will receive the penalty points in the 1.9 class.

4) The operator of the truck may not touch the vehicle in the event of a roll-over or 'stuck' situation. The vehicle must be rescued via winch or tow strap or by the other truck in the team with similar recovery gear.

5) Ramps, Sand Ladders, Tow straps and other aids may be carried and placed by the operator, just like full-scale wheeling. Said ramps MUST be carried on the vehicle!

Additional ideas:

-"Tree straps" (A length of string to wrap around an object in case your winch isnt long enough).
- Have hooks on your chassis to attach the tow straps to.
- Lights look cool and add realism

Rules from Nor-cal Team Trials & Scale Nats were used in the making of these rules
Old 06-14-2009, 02:09 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Holy Sh*t!!!

My rig will be ready for those guidelines by the year 2018.....Since I started with a WK, nothing I have is going to work. The axles are really wide and my tires would not fit under the wells even if i mount 1.9's...I will do the best I can but I may have to duck out of competing it team comp until I can start completely over...I will most likely only be "in" for trail rides at this point. Maybe I can take some action shots at an event or be a spectator instead.

JB
Old 06-14-2009, 02:39 PM   #52
Rock Crawler

whats up with people doing things on saturdays >_< do it on a sunday so the lodi guys can make it out lol we work mon-sat usually lol and with the team trials what about guys who come to run together will u make exceptions?
punkuup5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:20 PM   #53
RCC Addict

Questions:
1. will all your events be team trials?
2. No " DIG " of any kind is allowed. Does this mean i can not have a system to switch between 2 and 4 wheel drive?
3. 4 camping items and 4 recovery items equals -2 or is that just -1

I appreciate you taking the time and trying to get the ball rolling with the scale comps.

Thanks
James

Last edited by finishline; 06-14-2009 at 06:43 PM.
finishline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:19 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserHead View Post
Holy Sh*t!!!

My rig will be ready for those guidelines by the year 2018.....Since I started with a WK, nothing I have is going to work. The axles are really wide and my tires would not fit under the wells even if i mount 1.9's...I will do the best I can but I may have to duck out of competing it team comp until I can start completely over...I will most likely only be "in" for trail rides at this point. Maybe I can take some action shots at an event or be a spectator instead.

JB
just do the best you can. there are some wheels with enough backspacing that it should be close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkuup5150 View Post
whats up with people doing things on saturdays >_< do it on a sunday so the lodi guys can make it out lol we work mon-sat usually lol and with the team trials what about guys who come to run together will u make exceptions?
I work sundays and this is a local south bay club. Not to exclude you but thats is the reason I'm starting this, to stay local

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishline View Post
Questions:
1. will all your events be team trials?
2. No " DIG " of any kind is allowed. Does this mean i can not have a system to switch between 2 and 4 wheel drive?
3. 4 camping items and 4 recovery items equals -2 or is that just -1

I appreciate you taking the time and trying to get the ball rolling with the scale comps.

Thanks
James
1.aside from trail rides, yes
2.I see no problem with that
3.I was curious about that too. lets say you need 4 items to get -1

thanks for the appreciation

Last edited by rckjeep; 06-14-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:25 AM   #55
Pebble Pounder

nice work Rckjeep,
Thanks for taking the time to start this up!
Redwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:18 PM   #56
Quarry Creeper

Hey Rckjeep and dudes...

I was in the HT USA a few days ago talking about my delima with my axle width. I got offered a trade for my WK axles for Axial axles. I was a little sad to give up my WK axles but I now have axles that will keep my wheels under the wells....Now I have to trade/buy new wheels and tires that are 1.9...Anyone need 2.2 flatirons on plastic wheels with rock-rings? Anyone, anyone? Trades welcome Hehehe

JB
Old 06-18-2009, 09:25 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Hey Rckjeep and dudes...

I was in the HT USA a few days ago talking about my delima with my axle width. I got offered a trade for my WK axles for Axial axles. I was a little sad to give up my WK axles but I now have axles that will keep my wheels under the wells....Now I have to trade/buy new wheels and tires that are 1.9...Anyone need 2.2 flatirons on plastic wheels with rock-rings? Anyone, anyone? Trades welcome Hehehe

JB

I've got some tires & wheels. Cut & shut Moabs on HPI black wheels. You can have them. They aren't in that good of shape anymore but they're free.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:31 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

Rckjeep...Haha Kidding? That would be way 2 cool! Maybe I could just use your wheels when we had a doubles event? I am not that broke, just spent way too much for what i have....Trying to pinch so the woman doesnt kill me! Lol...But if you insist on donating, I can't say no...My rig is back up and running today since the day we met at Danna...When we were leaving,I handed my controller to Billy so i could run back up the hill to get that plane that i forgot. By the time I got back down the hill, he had it on it's back like a dying turtle saying" I don't know whats wrong with it, it wont move anymore"...He jammed it under the kiddie slide and gunned the throttle until one of the gears exploded! Not a tooth left on it...

No one stocks those parts so.....anyway, I have the Axials installed and the tranny is fixed.

Any new news on SBRCA?

JB
Old 06-19-2009, 05:37 PM   #59
Quarry Creeper

PS....I stopped by Linda Vista park in Cupertino Wed....It is a Mecca for trail rigs and crawling. I could not believe how many different areas there were for killer action! One portion is a man-made creek made of imbeded rock and concrete, complete with a rock face (waterfall?). It is unreal....I would call this place the "Disneyland" of spots for the South Bay Area...Imma try and get there again this Saturday!!!! Anyone have some time. PM me and let me know.

JB
Old 06-21-2009, 09:45 AM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
PS....I stopped by Linda Vista park in Cupertino Wed....It is a Mecca for trail rigs and crawling. I could not believe how many different areas there were for killer action! One portion is a man-made creek made of imbeded rock and concrete, complete with a rock face (waterfall?). It is unreal....I would call this place the "Disneyland" of spots for the South Bay Area...Imma try and get there again this Saturday!!!! Anyone have some time. PM me and let me know.

JB

this place is the only place i will go around here.Do to NO GLASS there is so so many lines here you will never belive.
1beatjeep is offline   Reply With Quote