Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > West > California

Notices

Thread: Sonoma County Crawlers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2008, 05:10 PM   #121
Quarry Creeper

I've got a 5 x 8 util. trailer or 8 x 12 inclosed waiting for you anytime !
need not make reservations !
CRAWLIN 4 FUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2008, 05:14 PM   #122
Quarry Creeper

See Ya On Sat.
CRAWLIN 4 FUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:24 PM   #123
Rock Stacker

Hopefully most of you will show up at 11:00 tomorrow because I would love to meet as many of you as I can. I will only be able to be there till 12-12:20ish but I am definitely looking forward to tomorrow!
Chevy Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:15 PM   #124

Thanks for all the fun on Sat. you have put alot of work time and effort into building all thoses panals. And we all appreciate what you have done. Although I felt that the bedliner panals are more for wheel speed than crawling. At least that is what it looked like and felt like to me. No one was able top those panals without just bashing up with pure wheel speed. I know I am a nube to this hobby, but there really was no traction on those panales. Perhaps they were too steep? Too slick? Or were most of the vechiles not set up for that type of surface? None of this is ment to cirtisize but to help understand how to apporach those panals. Again, thanks Jake, for what you have done to promote this hobby and the effort you made to build those panals and obstickles. (my spelling has always sucked) rudy
Rockhabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:01 PM   #125
TEAM RCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhabit View Post
Thanks for all the fun on Sat. you have put alot of work time and effort into building all thoses panals. And we all appreciate what you have done. Although I felt that the bedliner panals are more for wheel speed than crawling. At least that is what it looked like and felt like to me. No one was able top those panals without just bashing up with pure wheel speed. I know I am a nube to this hobby, but there really was no traction on those panales. Perhaps they were too steep? Too slick? Or were most of the vechiles not set up for that type of surface? None of this is ment to cirtisize but to help understand how to apporach those panals. Again, thanks Jake, for what you have done to promote this hobby and the effort you made to build those panals and obstickles. (my spelling has always sucked) rudy

i dont think they were to slick or steep all the panals were just fine they make you pick lines . most of the rigs there were set up nice and im glad to see more people geting in to the sport . the fun day was a good day for most people to see how to set up a rig for a comp like seting. now every body know what the comp will be like.
bcrofts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:56 PM   #126
RCC Addict

Well, that was fun! I'm glad everyone enjoyed themselves, cause I sure did!

I lost count on how many people were there, how many drivers and rigs ran the course, and how many rigs were on the course at one time! Seemed like a whole bunch of crawler guys and gals, that's for sure.

A report is up on the JPH site, with some pictures too! Check it out at:
http://www.jphracing.com/JPH_Fun_Run.cfm

I agree that the bed-lined panels are slick (I wanted them to have a different feel to them). They do test your throttle control and line choice, more so than any other obstacle on the course. I think the cold had something to do the slick feel. But also the fact that there were so many guys wheeling it, it really amped everyone up. Some rigs would climb things great, others had to be hammered up the panels with a little more throttle.

I can easily change the angles of the panels and will do so for any upcoming events. This will change the feel of each panel, some will be easier, some harder .... Also, depending on what we do for the next event, we will most likely have the course out in the parking lot. This will mean those panels will get some sun on them and get heated up!

I did save some great panels for the next event. 4 more cement ones and two more bed-lined ones. These are the more challenging ones too! I also have some more obstacles to try out!

Please give me more feedback about the Fun~Run, either at the shop, e-mailed, or post up here! Also, please give some thought to whether you would attend and participate in a comp, or would just rather have another fun run.

Thanks again for all the support and fun on Saturday! It was really a blast to see all those different rigs!

Jake

PS: Rudy, thanks for the feedback! I encourage more from everyone, and take no offense to it. I've learned a long time ago, that to host successful events I have be open minded to what everyone has to say.
JPH Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:28 PM   #127
RCC Addict

Great event Jake! Thanks for all the effort to help get all us Sonoma Crawlers together.

The two concrete panels were great for scale vehicles and the black panels were a challenge even for "turbo".

Mad4Rnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:32 PM   #128
TEAM RCC

hey man the truck looks bad ass and crawl's so nice
bcrofts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:46 PM   #129
Rock Stacker

Yea thanks Jake it was tons of fun and those cement panes were perfect like Mad said I just wish my rig had been running properly, but next time for sure!
Chevy Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:43 AM   #130
Rock Crawler

Man, what a great day of wheelin. I was glad to see so many people show up and to meet some of the others in the area. It was pretty cool seeing what others were doing with their crawlers, all the different ideas, seeing what worked and what didn't and to help out those that were new and needed the help.

I think the bedliner panels added that unexpected element. I honestly thought they were going to have a heck of a lot more grip than they did and it really tested rig and driver to pick the right lines. And I can't say I'm looking forward to the lava flows the next time out either.

I'm lookin forward to the comps for sure now.

I forgot to give a big THANKS to Jake for taking the time to put together those panels and get all us guys together for the Fun-Run.

Last edited by gone_wheelin; 03-17-2008 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Forgot something.
gone_wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:53 AM   #131
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhabit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrofts View Post
i dont think they were to slick or steep all the panals were just fine they make you pick lines . most of the rigs there were set up nice and im glad to see more people geting in to the sport . the fun day was a good day for most people to see how to set up a rig for a comp like seting. now every body know what the comp will be like.
I agree with bcrofts, the bed liner panels did a good job of representing real rocks. There have been plenty of times that I have had to use a liberal amount of throttle to get up an obstacle. Sometimes it's the only way to keep those back tires from grabbing a tossing you over onto your lid. It's knowing when, and when not, to use the throttle.

In fact, here's a pic I snapped Friday of a fairly small obstacle that was a combination of loose rock, dirt and a vertical climb. I made it up but had to spin the wheels a bit to find traction:

Jake - I have to say, the panel at the end of the table was probably the trickiest to get up. It definitely forced you to find just the right line and use some extra throttle to make it up.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:56 AM   #132
RCC Addict

Thinking about it though, it might be:

1) It was cold in the breezeway. The stuff is like rubber, so maybe the cold had something to do with the slicker than usual feel?

2) The trucks polished it up some?

3) Everyone was amped (excited) and got throttle happy after seeing everyone else amped and throttle happy? Not everyone's rig is set up properly, so some climbed better than others. Those who had trouble, started to pin it up the panels. Then, others did the same ... (And this wasn't helped by one or two guys having super turbo motors in their rigs! Which was cool!)

4) The cement was cold and cooled off the tires before they got onto the panels?

5) Driver ability played a big part of it too. (Brian cleared everything with ease, when I tried his truck later in the day, I struggled with it!)

I'll take a close look at the panels though and decide what to do. I do think the "amped" theory holds true, because the panels were all very crawl-able the whole time they were in the shop. Almost everyone made the panels after a few tries and no one needed to pin it to clear them. But, some guys did have troubles when they had a bad setup or the wrong tires. Heck, even a super had troubles on the panels one time!

But, If needed, I'll adjust the angles to change the difficulty level of those panels. And if really needed I'll paint those panels with grip (paint mixed with sand).

I personally like the difference between the cement panels and the bed-liners. The course should give different challenges, and grip level is a big challenge!

Erik's Toyota is an awesome scaler! I can't wait to see Dan's rig when it's finished, it's looking really sweet as well. So many cool rigs there, it weas really great to see them in action. I started to count them in the pics, I think we had over 40 rigs!?! I know I missed pics of some .... So cool!
Old 03-17-2008, 05:21 PM   #133
Rock Crawler

Jake, I don't think you should change anything. If everyone could make it up every panel easily then there would be no need to hold a comp. I really appreciate all the effort you put in to create a place for us all to play and also all the help with the dumb "newbie" questions I come up with.
hellbentrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:40 PM   #134
Rock Crawler

I agree, I wouldn't change a thing on the bedliner panels. To make them stickier, or add traction, would lessen the experience, I think. I made it up every panel and only had to use excessive throttle on the near vertical panel at the end, and that was only once I got near the top.

In fact, the only panel I would even think of changing would be the cement covered one. That thing took a BEATING! I will be interested to see how it fairs after being re-patched. Who knows, it might even look more natural, kind of like what mother nature does to the real rocks.

That's just my .02 cents worth.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:01 AM   #135

I believe that you all have it right. I have never experienced a comp so I do not really know how tuff they really are. If your bedliners are a indication how tough they are then I need to really work on my set up. Yeah, I also think the "amped-up" is also very true.
Found a new spot to share. It is on the NE side of Fountain Grove where it meets Rebli Rd. Give me a few moments to figure out how to post photos....
Old 03-18-2008, 10:02 AM   #136
RCC Addict

I expected the cemented panels to take a beating. Those were the first two I built, and my least favorite (although the drivers sure liked them!) they have the most square edges (not any more!!). I'll patch them and they will be ready for the comp!

The most I counted was 9 trucks at one time on those panels, and they only measure 4' x 8' of ground space. That yellow Toyota put some miles on them!!
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2008, 10:07 AM   #137
RCC Addict

BCrofts: Are you gonna sell that Jeep tube frame, or build it up?

If selling, please bring it by the shop next time you're in so I can take a look!!

Thanks,
Jake
Old 03-18-2008, 11:41 AM   #138

If you need better directions pm me
Old 03-18-2008, 02:19 PM   #139
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPH Racing View Post
That yellow Toyota put some miles on them!!
I think I hit just about every line possible on the ground panels
Mad4Rnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:02 PM   #140
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad4Rnr View Post
I think I hit just about every line possible on the ground panels
I think you hit some impossible lines too!