Notices

Thread: Top Gear US

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2010, 04:44 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunkinMcNut View Post
I'm watching Walking Dead. And I love Top Gear. Whats that tell ya.
+1 on that
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2010, 06:11 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

It just looked 'thrown together' to me. The hosts didn't really seem to know wtf they were doing, and the set looked really hokey. Also, the top track time board, surely they could have gotten something that looked better to write the times on. That looked worse than something I could have come up with at my house... Other than that I thought it was ok. The commentary when they were actually driving the cars was absolute shit too. Still, I'll watch episode 2 and see what that brings..
HomerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:13 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Nothing like poor writing, terribly boring hosts, and a complete lack of chemistry.

TG UK works because of the hosts and their chemistry. There is no chemistry between these guys and dare I say it no talent for being hosts. Replace the hosts quickly or watch the ship sink.

Multiple times they stole lines word for word from Clarkson to use themselves. Same bit on a helicopter versus a car. Then racing a standing mile without even a helmet...jeez great move.

If it weren't for Buzz Aldrin the show would have been completely unwatchable.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:54 AM   #24
Pebble Pounder

Took a couple EP's for Top Gear Australia to get going.. I'm going to give the new US version at least a season. The first season of Top Gear UK wasn't that hot. If you want to see it you can find the torrents for all the Top Gear series at http://www.finalgear.com/

They even have the other UK/Australian car show Fifth Gear.
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:16 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
If it weren't for Buzz Aldrin the show would have been completely unwatchable.
I did get a good laugh when Buzz was going around the track... "Shifting into 5th gear.... oh wait, I think that was 3rd..."
HomerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:25 AM   #26
Pebble Pounder

I had very low expectations.. so I ended up thinking it wasn't bad. I'm going to give it a shot and watch more of this season and hope it gets better.
adale4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:51 AM   #27
20K Club

I watched it, and I will continue to watch it. Topping the UK version isn't even possible but I'm all for more programming that doesn't have to deal with them asking me to text in my vote...

Last edited by Harley; 11-22-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:59 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
I watched it, and I will continue to watch it. Toping the UK version isn't even possible but I'm all for more programming that doesn't have to deal with them asking me to text in my vote...
LOL, x2 Harley!
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:35 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

I liked it
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #30
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBA069 View Post
Took a couple EP's
What I do?

I thought it was not good. Not good at all. I didn't even remember watching it until I saw this post and realized that's part of what I did last night.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #31
RCC Addict

DonsATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #32
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBA069 View Post
Took a couple EP's for Top Gear Australia to get going.. I'm going to give the new US version at least a season. The first season of Top Gear UK wasn't that hot. If you want to see it you can find the torrents for all the Top Gear series at http://www.finalgear.com/

They even have the other UK/Australian car show Fifth Gear.
This is what I was thinking. If you watch the really old Top Gear episodes, it's like watching the UK version of MotorWeek. Hell, it was so bad that they cancelled the show and it was re-incarnated in it's current format. Even the early episodes of the current version of Top Gear are not all that great.

But I do think they need different presenters. They need people with acting/comedy experience. The one actor/comedian ain't bad, but Tanner and the NASCAR guy are blah. They need to get Adam Corrola on board.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:29 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
This is what I was thinking. If you watch the really old Top Gear episodes, it's like watching the UK version of MotorWeek. Hell, it was so bad that they cancelled the show and it was re-incarnated in it's current format. Even the early episodes of the current version of Top Gear are not all that great.

But I do think they need different presenters. They need people with acting/comedy experience. The one actor/comedian ain't bad, but Tanner and the NASCAR guy are blah. They need to get Adam Corrola on board.

I did like the guy from Rescue Me (I'll admit, I laughed at his acceleration induced turrets in that Lambo), I wasn't expecting much out of the NA$CAR guy and thought he was actually pretty decent, still don't care for Foust....he seems to be as big of a prick as Clarkson, but atleast Clarkson is funny. Now it would have been interseting to see somebody like Tim Allen or John Schnieder (yes, as in Bo Duke) as a host in stead of Faust and let him be just the Stig.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:51 PM   #34
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

I thought it was ok. Was surprised how much they made it like the original though...thought maybe they'd do SOMETHING different and not just copy the other show right down to having their own Stig

The one guy could drive pretty well, but I guess he should since he's a race driver anyway. The other two guys seemed to be trying to "force it" to work.

The biggest thing it didn't have compared to the original, is the comedic value. The british guys comedy just seems to flow and work...like the whole show was impromptu.

I'll watch it.

On an unrelated note...another show I caught this weekend was Apocalypse PA...two pilot episodes to see if the interest is there. Thought that one was pretty good too even though it was far from perfect info and decisions.

The episodes air tonight again on History.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:06 AM   #35
Pebble Pounder

another thing to remember the UK show has had a decade to get their !@#$ together. Expecting 3 guys that have never worked together to be as good as 3 that have been together for a decade is a little harsh.

Like I said, I'm giving it at least the season to see where it ends up, either way its fun to watch and better then most crap on TV as of late.
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:52 AM   #36
LR3
Rock Crawler

Was it as good as the UK version? No. Will anything be as good as the UK version? No. That being said, I felt that they had a very great start. The Lamborghini bit was pretty neat, and next week they are teaching a blind man to drift. I think that, over time, this show will get much much better
LR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:32 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Like most shows they have to get their kem. with one one another down. looks like they were reading off the telapromter most of the time.

But the biggest qt. I have is our stig. better than thiers.

I would like to see them on the same track at the same time. do like a battle of the best car drivers. range of cars from slow farm trucks to the super car. to see witch one is the all around best driver

Last edited by spyderwebbcustoms; 11-23-2010 at 09:10 PM.
spyderwebbcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:54 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderwebbcustoms View Post
Like most shows they have to get their kem. with one one another down. looks like they were reading off the telapromter most of the time.

But the biggest qt. I have is our stig. better than thiers.

I would like to see them on the same track at the same time. do like a battle of the best car drivers. range of cars from slow farm trucks to the super car. to see witch one is the all around best driver
Probably ours, they've lost another Stig recently
Old 11-28-2010, 09:01 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Default #2

best part of #2 is the dog pissing on the stage
jokers_toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:30 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

I did laugh my ass off on that, what a way to end show #2 How much water did that dog drink before he went on stage