Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Marijuana legalization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2011, 09:48 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

There is not research I have ever seen to say there is no lasting effects, there is research to say its no worse than booze or a pack of cigarettes, along with some beneficial research on certain health issues, along with economic ones, like the additional sales of doritos and m&ms for the munchies.

I personally have never used pot.....in fact, never used any drug. I am however fully in agreement they should just legalize this stuff. Take the money earned off tax and use it for schools, parks, and strippers....take the money saved fighting the pot drug wars by the cops, dea, fbi, etc and use it to fight real problem drugs like meth, crack or heroin....not to mention the money saved sending pot users/dealers/growers to prison.

Washington pot lovers are going full force to get a measure on the ballot or that just might get approved by the legislature to legalize it. How they get past the federal ban is beyond me though.

If they do, maybe one day I will try a brownie.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2011, 09:57 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
Fixed it:

AWESOME
travis c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:07 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93 FORD BRONCO View Post
17 and im leaving for boot camp in july so i havent smoked in like 2 months
Ain't that F'n great, You should be SOOO prowd of your self for being an underaged youth heading off to boot camp after you've got your self purged from pot. Hope you figure out how stupid it is waste you time on being high instead of doing something productive with your life.

Ya think being high had anything to do with the idea that "painting" mudd on your rustler would be cool?

I can't say legalizing it would be an improvement for society, Just one more thing we are forced to accept as OK because a certain group of people want it to be easier for them to get/use. Anyone thought about the ramifications of individuals abusing that option IF it were legal such as firemen, policeman, pilots and so forth???
Yeah, I'm sure there would be plenty of people saying "what the heck, it's legal, why not try it." "It'll help me get through the day, we won't have any fire calls to go on."
Legalization of a narcotic is dumb, there are other drugs for people that TRUELY NEED something, thoughs supporting it are more likely illegal users who just want it to be OK. The debate of it's legalization is a waste of time and tax payers money.

Last edited by Krakker; 06-24-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:09 AM   #24
RCC Addict

I do not advocate it's use (former smoker myself) but do not think it's worth wasting the time and effort to deal with it being illegal. Legalizing it would also eliminate many of the issues surrounding it's use as well. I do not think the legislation being brought forward will pass but don't see why we waste our time combating it's use and sell. As far is no lasting effects put down the Cypress Hill propaganda and do some real research. It is not good for you and smoking it is extremely bad for your lungs, mouth, and other tissue the smoke comes into contact with. Just look at the resin left over in pipes and bongs when it's smoked through them and tell me that you really believe that stuff doesn't cause lasting harm to your body. I have actually coughed blood from smoking too much pot. That never happened to me while even smoking cigarettes and I didn't even smoke cigarettes at all at the time it happened.

It has also been medically proven that it's use prevents the retention short term memory while in your system. This means that while high you actually fail to retain many of the memories you would have made at the time had you had been not under the influence.

Either way, legalize it and move on to bigger and better things like getting this economy out of the crapper and reducing our ridiculous national debt.

Last edited by TexasSP; 06-24-2011 at 10:11 AM.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakker View Post
Ain't that F'n great, You should be SOOO prowd of your self for being an underaged youth heading off to boot camp after you've got your self purged from pot. Hope you figure out how stupid it is waste you time on being high instead of doing something productive with your life.

Ya think being high had anything to do with the idea that "painting" mudd on your rustler would be cool?

I can't say legalizing it would be an improvement for society, Just one more thing we are forced to accept as OK because a certain group of people want it to be easier for them to get/use. Anyone thought about the ramifications of individuals abusing that option IF it were legal such as firemen, policeman, pilots and so forth???
Yeah, I'm sure there would be plenty of people saying "what the heck, it's legal, why not try it." "It'll help me get through the day, we won't have any fire calls to go on."
Legalization of a narcotic is dumb, there are other drugs for people that TRUELY NEED something, thoughs supporting it are more likely illegal users who just want it to be OK. The debate of it's legalization is a waste of time and tax payers money.
what the fawk are you forced about..to accept ..lol forced to accept that you neighboor can smoke pot..wow what the fawk do i care what someone else does if it doesnt hurt me, your not forced to do anything..trying to control something like that is dumb and has been proven dumb for 70+ years, the un just came out with a report on the fact that the drug war is a complete and collossal failure..if it doesnt jibe with you sensabilities them dont use it..dont tell me i cant..proven fact in countries where it has been legalized/decriminalized its use goes down..fact take the shine of it and its not a big deal..oh and about firemen and police..lots of cops here get nailed for drunk driving..lots it doesnt matter people will do what they want..i;;ega; or not and it doesnt make any sense to put someone in prison because they choose to smoke something that can grow by the side of the road its all a big morality play

Last edited by vonclod; 06-24-2011 at 10:49 AM.
vonclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #26
RCC Addict

Here's a term paper i wrote that contains what i feel as non biased and accurate info. I'm not including sources b/c it would be too easy to take credit for it if i did that. PLEASE do not use any of this, for any reason, it was soley written by me, and the research was conducted by me. Some of it might be outdated as its over a year old now, but the most important stuff still remains accurate. I will break it up into 2 posts because it's too long. It looks like the layout got messed up pasting it in.

Dirk H
Response Paper
Tax Cannabis: California 2010
"Marijuana makes some people happy, and it doesn't seem to be any more dangerous than alcohol. Do we really want to go around putting people in prison and destroying their lives over this?” Asks Tom Head, who claims that is how he would advocate the legalization of marijuana if he were to make an argument over it. Why is marijuana illegal? Many states wonder the same thing and are lessening their criminal laws against the drug. (Stateman) California is the first state where citizens are trying to completely abolish the current law which deems it illegal. Citizens of California came together, collected over 700,000 signatures, and assembly member Tom Ammiano put together bill AB390. Proposed bill AB390 includes Marijuana Control, Regulation, and an Education Act (Leginfo).
Marijuana has been legal for most of human civilization. In fact it has only been Illegal for less than 1% of the time that it has been in use. In 1619 there was a law requiring all Virginian farmers to grow hemp (Guither). According to Pete Guither, hemp was the primary crop grown by George Washington at Mt Vernon and the secondary crop grown by Thomas Jefferson at Monticello. It wasn’t until 1937, when the United States federal government passed the Marihuana Tax Act, that the possession or transfer of marijuana became illegal under federal law (Guither). So why is marijuana illegal?
According to United States federal law, marijuana is a Scheduled Class I Drug which means, “The drug or other substance has a high potential for abuse. The drug or other substance has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States. There is a lack of accepted safety for use of the drug or other substance under medical supervision” (Justice). Many researchers and doctors have clinically proven marijuana’s use to relieve pain, slow down diseases, increase appetite for cancer patients and provide happiness for some (Head). According to William Welch fifteen states have legalized marijuana for medical use, and this year thirteen other states are considering medical marijuana laws as well as laws that decriminalize it for personal use. It is interesting that fifteen states have legalized the use of marijuana for medical purposes yet it is still classified under such order.
The Obama Administration agreed that they will not override the growing number of fifteen states which have created laws that decriminalized the use of marijuana for medical purposes only, which would also apply to California’s legalization process (White). At an online town hall meeting an aspiring journalist asked President Obama what he thought about marijuana legalization. President Obama avoided any serious discussion on it and laughingly said, “I don't know what this says about the online audience. But, no, I don't think that is a good strategy to grow our economy” (White). Obama is right on that idea; the government shouldn’t simply give up on rebuilding California’s economy and legalize marijuana only in hope that it will fix their economy. However, there is an uncertainty to what his views really are on it considering in 2004, the Illinois politician claimed, "I think the war on drugs has been a failure, and I think we need to rethink and decriminalize our marijuana laws" (White). With such a controversial topic, I don’t think President Obama is ready to fully give his views on it. He responded about it not by saying he was against it, only that he is against legalizing it in hope to strengthen the economy which obviously is not a good reason to legalize marijuana. Rather than give his views on it, I think he will leave it up to the states to decide what they want.
Bill AB390 (Marijuana Control, Regulation, and an Education Act) would allow citizens of California who are 21+ years of age to legally posses, smoke, and grow marijuana with restrictions (Leginfo). This bill contains laws that are very similar to the laws that apply to wine, liquor, and beer. According to Ammiano’s bill, a state tax would be applied to each sale, and prohibit the sale to anyone under the age of twenty one. State revenues would also be derived from a fifty dollar per ounce levy on retail sales of marijuana and sales taxes. At first I didn’t think fifty dollars is high enough of a tax to keep this project funded to last. An ounce doesn’t seem like a big deal to most, but taking into fact that marijuana is very light weight and generally sold on the street it much less quantity, according to my calculations this means buyers will pay approximately five to ten dollars per sale. I still don’t that is high enough of a tax, but if they tax it too much, it could turn potential buyers away and send them back to the streets. I believe that is why they settled on the fifty dollars per ounce.
Citizens of California will have the chance to pass the Bill on the upcoming November 2010 Ballot if all falls into place. In 2009 a state wide field poll shows that 56% of California citizens back the legalization of marijuana for recreational use (Welch). Those who support it have enough of themselves to pass the Bill AB390 on November 2010’s referendum.
Before we give the right to California citizens to be able to walk into a government regulated marijuana store, purchase the drug, and have the freedom to smoke it, we must look at the safety and health issues surrounding the drug. According to Druglibrary.net, Judge Young’s journal argues that “Yet, despite this long history of use and the extraordinarily high numbers of social smokers, there are simply no credible medical reports to suggest that consuming marijuana has caused a single death. By contrast, aspirin, a commonly used over-the-counter medicine causes hundreds of deaths each year” (Young, 57). Young also goes onto say,

At present it is estimated that marijuana's LD-50 is around 1:20,000 or 1:40,000. In layman terms this means that in order to induce death a marijuana smoker would have to consume 20,000 to 40,000 times as much marijuana as is contained in one marijuana cigarette. NIDA-supplied marijuana cigarettes weigh approximately .9 grams. A smoker would theoretically have to consume nearly 1,500 pounds of marijuana within about fifteen minutes to induce a lethal response. In practical terms, marijuana cannot induce a lethal response as a result of drug-related toxicity.

NEXT POST....

dirk379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #27
RCC Addict

I find it very ironic that marijuana itself has not caused one single death in its existence. From what I had learned through my education and thought to be the truth about the drug, I thought for sure there would have been numerous overdoses leading to death associated with it. But I was wrong; Young, as well as many others discovered that it is virtually impossible to cause mortality from marijuana ingestion.

A well adopted idea about marijuana is that it is a ‘gateway’ or ‘stepping stone’ to hard drugs. Well that is true, but according to Marijuana Policy Project, a Washington D.C. foundation, it is the criminalization of marijuana that is the gateway to hard drugs. “When adults enter a liquor store to buy alcohol, they don’t find cocaine sitting on the shelf next to bottles of vodka; similarly, if marijuana were regulated, adults who buy marijuana would not be exposed to hard drugs (as they currently are, via drug dealers)”, claims Washington D.C.’s Marijuana Policy Foundation. They also go on to advocate that driving under the influence of marijuana will still be illegal, it will save our taxpayers money, generate revenue, make our communities safer, reduce teen marijuana use, and protect our public lands from cultivation. I had always found it fascinating that this so called plant was a “gateway” to harder drugs. I was never told why and always assumed it made you want to do other drugs. According to M.P.P., that is false. If we could get the marijuana users to stop having to go to drug dealers, perhaps we could cut the other drug use way down.

Each year there is an estimated fifteen billion dollars spent in Cannabis transactions, and the state doesn’t collect on any of this (Evans). Statistics show that on a day to day basis, prohibition kills many innocent lives from the drug wars with the drug cartel. Just recently Evans documented Castaneda, a former Mexican official who just urged both Mexico and the U.S. to work towards legalizing marijuana and eliminating the drug cartel. Castaneda claimed just last month (January 2010) 900 lives were lost due to the ongoing war against the drug cartel. According to researcher Jon Gettman Ph.D. the majority of it gets smuggled across the Mexico/California border. During an interview ex official Castaneda told CNN reporter Christiane Amanpour that “It is ridiculous for Mexico to try to stop marijuana from entering the United States when it's legally sold for medical purposes in California.” Evans claims it is outsourcing our American money to other countries, and has handed a monopoly of wealth into the hands of criminals and gangs (Evans). The money not being put directly into the hands of criminals is important and shouldn’t be happening, but nothing is more important to me than the idea of saving lives from that are being lost to the drug wars. It is cruel these innocent people’s blood gets shed in hope that the drug cartel can get their marijuana into to the states to fulfill a need that our governments’ law prohibits.

“Regulation is the answer. It’s time for a new approach — strict regulation and control — to reduce the criminal market and lower teen use” (MPP). James Gray, a former federal prosecutor and county judge who sent people to prison for dealing pot gradually became convinced that the ban on marijuana was making it more accessible to young people, not less (Welch). Gray went on to say, "I ask kids all the time, and they'll tell you it is easier to get marijuana than a six-pack of beer because beer is controlled by the government." James Gray once saw himself as a drug warrior but through his experience and many years he has switched sides on his views. Gray explains, "Let's face reality. Taxing and regulating marijuana will make it less available to children than it is today” then goes on to say, "Unfortunately, every society in the history of mankind has had some form of mind-altering, sometimes addictive substances to use, to misuse, abuse or get addicted to. Get used to it. They're here to stay. So let's try to reduce those harms, and right now we couldn't do it worse if we tried” (Stateman). Gray is a realist, he sees things the way they are and appears to know of a possible solution to an ongoing problem which only continues to get worse.

James Gray’s views on legalizing marijuana are right on target from what I have witnessed. Throughout my high school years, the majority of my friends and peers started to abuse alcohol. They had a “hook up” who would purchase it for them. Once their supplier got caught and prosecuted, they were no longer able to obtain alcohol. They resorted to doing hey misters at gas stations and ultimately failed time after time for a few months which eventually led to them giving up. They gave up and switched from abusing alcohol to using marijuana. The reason behind is they found it was much easier to obtain marijuana than it was alcohol. Gray is onto something, if the United States regulates it in California, it could have a positive impact on getting it out of the hands of the youth as well as diminishing the drug cartel and criminal actions that take place because of prohibition. It isn’t something we should go blind into, but is definitely something that should be looked into.
dirk379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

It IS the cure to morning sickness. None of the prescribed crap did anything for my wife in the first couple months. She would still spend all day hurling up any and all food she ate, when she could eat at all.

So we tried it. Not much, she would not get blasted out of her skull or anything, but a small puff and her stomach settled, she was able to retain food, and had a desire to get the baby inside her the nourishment he needed.

When the morning sickness stopped, so did my wife's partaking. Our baby was born very healthy, no abnormalities, has excellent hearing, vision, reflex contol and brain activity.

We informed our doctor of what was happening. His thoughts were so long is it is used in small quantities he had no issue and monitored her and the baby regularly through out the pregnancy with no concerns. He was happy that we had found a more natural solution than cramming pills that did not work for her down her throat.

Legalize it, regulate and tax the shit out of it, it would be a stimulus to the economy.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:59 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonclod View Post
oh and about firemen and police..lots of cops here get nailed for drunk driving..lots

Duh eh,,, they're in Canada. How do you know and verify this "lots"?

How about being forced to take a government health plan? I pay my taxes and I know I'm giving to funds that I don't care to support but it's the law. My opinion is exactly that, MINE! Your opinion doesn't count here though, cuz your not a citizen of the US.

(Being opressed doesn't sound so good now does it?)

Legalization over money is corrupt thinking.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #30
RCC Addict

So you want to be driving down the Interstate with a Holiday Weekend's traffic and look over at the person in the other lane beside you and see them smoking a joint, While you have your Wife and 3 kids in your car and he's high, so He pretty much doesn't know what the fawk he's doing. He crashes into you and kills your wife and 3 kids. Should it really be legalized for abunch of low life, drug addict scum bags? Hell no.

Thats just my opinion.
country_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:06 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by country_crawler View Post
So you want to be driving down the Interstate with a Holiday Weekend's traffic and look over at the person in the other lane beside you and see them smoking a joint, While you have your Wife and 3 kids in your car and he's high, so He pretty much doesn't know what the fawk he's doing. He crashes into you and kills your wife and 3 kids. Should it really be legalized for abunch of low life, drug addict scum bags? Hell no.

Thats just my opinion.
No worse than the guy with the open beer in his hand driving down the road.... ban alcohol too

None of it should be used in conjunction with automobiles....

Last edited by DickyT; 06-24-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:08 AM   #32
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:

Thats just my opinion.
Never been to Cali?
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #33
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
How they get past the federal ban is beyond me though.
That's how alcohol prohibition was ended. States started to legalize it on their own, then the federal goverment cave in.

SS
salmonshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #34
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakker View Post
Duh eh,,, they're in Canada. How do you know and verify this "lots"?

How about being forced to take a government health plan? I pay my taxes and I know I'm giving to funds that I don't care to support but it's the law. My opinion is exactly that, MINE! Your opinion doesn't count here though, cuz your not a citizen of the US.

(Being opressed doesn't sound so good now does it?)

Legalization over money is corrupt thinking.
on the news about once or twice a month all public record, ya and we have a govt health plan..yup my life is a disater because of it my standerd of liveing is just as good..maybee better..im a member of the forum and my opinion counts..i dont think this thread eas titled u.s. legalization..it applys here aswell
and im not sure what you getting at anyway..you will absolutly not be forced to smoke pot if you dont want to..i promise..oh and oppresion is putting people in jail for smoking pot

Last edited by vonclod; 06-24-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

OK, I'll play Devil's Advocate here...

There are two things wrong with pot:
1) A lot of it has been hybrid to increase THC levels, making some of it toxic. Throttle the THC levels back to the stuff your parents smoked, and it should be ok.
2) It does cause memory loss. Two of my friends had photographic memories prior to smoking pot for the first time, after that first time they no longer had photographic memories. I'm not saying this will happen to everyone, but just two examples of what could happen.

Here is something for the "Legalize and Tax It" crowd:
- The tax revenue is one argument for its legalization, but that will never work. Tobacco is difficult to grow and cultivate, so it really isn't practical for someone to grow it in the their back yard to make their own. Pot will grow like a weed (hence the name) and really doesn't require any special cultivation to get it to grow. So, why buy a product that is taxed when you can grow what you want for practically nothing?

Having grown up in Northing California, Southern Humboldt to be specific, I have been around pot quite a bit, oddly enough, never actually smoked it, never had the interest. I have seen your causual users that smoke it once in a while with no long term effects. I have also seen the abusers that have been baked so many times that their brains are pretty much mush; much like your casual drinkers and your alcoholics.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #36
RCC Addict

Quote:

Thats just my opinion.
Really, that's your whole argument?!

First off people smoke joints and drive all the time now, so not much will probably change.

Second to pigeon hole every pot smoker into a group of drug addict scum bags is kind of naive at best. When I smoked I smoked with all types. You may actually be shocked at who around you smokes and you just don't know it.

Lastly I have smoked pot and been drunk. I can tell you the effects are drastically different. I would rather drive on a highway were 1000 people were high on pot than get on a highway were 999 were sober and 1 was drunk.

As far as other factors go about work and so forth. If you test positive companies should still have the right to terminate your employment just as if you tested positive for alcohol.

If insurance companies refuse you because you smoke pot or what ever that is certainly their prerogative.

Legalizing it doesn't mean you have to accept it's use. It's just means you stop trying to unrealistically combat and enforce something that is a losing battle. It means your realize that the resources being put into enforcing that law can be put to more useful things like busting criminals who actually are out hurting others with their crimes.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:20 AM   #37
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
- The tax revenue is one argument for its legalization, but that will never work. Tobacco is difficult to grow and cultivate, so it really isn't practical for someone to grow it in the their back yard to make their own. Pot will grow like a weed (hence the name) and really doesn't require any special cultivation to get it to grow. So, why buy a product that is taxed when you can grow what you want for practically nothing?
While it may not be difficult to grow many people even now choose not too and buy it for many different reasons. With the shrinking profit margins that would come due to legalization many current growers would be put out of business.

Besides, most pot smokers don't want to fool with growing and cultivating it no matter what. If it comes in a nice shiny package and you can buy it in the local liquor store or whatever that will be the primary way of purchasing it for sure.

Alcohol is fairly easy to make on your own as well but most people choose to purchase it instead.

Sure you can grow it in the back yard but it will never be of the quality of hydroponically grown pot either. Putting together an indoor grow system can be expensive and time consuming. Most smokers just want to smoke their weed and go on with life. If they can buy hydroponically grown top grade product from a local store I can guarantee you most will. For that practical matter people can also grow their own vegetables quite easily but most don't either.

As far as controlling THC levels that is pointless as well. Your body can only absorb and process so much of it. The higher quality products mean you use much less in general. Lowering the THC levels will only mean people will use more of the product to get the same effect. For health reasons it can be argued that it's better to have a higher potency product that provides the same effect in two puffs as a lower quality product that takes 20. Much less smoke inhalation thus much less risk due to exposure.

Last edited by TexasSP; 06-24-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:21 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
There are plenty of condo, apartment and highrise dwellers in metropolitan areas that do not have yards to grow anyting. I can't even grow cooking herbs.

My condo association uprooted my herb garden of basil, oregano, thyme and rosemary I had outside my front door and slapped me with a $100 first offense fine and a note that said 2nd offense is $500.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:21 AM   #39
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Thats just my opinion.
it would be the same as alcohol as far as driving is concerned..anyone driving around while smoking or drunk needs a slap anyway
i guess once you old enough to drink a beer and have one that will make you a fawkin scumbag lowlife alcoholic..idiot

Last edited by vonclod; 06-24-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #40
Rock Crawler

Reading through some of the responses, seems a few of you have led an awfully sheltered/brainwashed life to say the least......in all honestly, some of the responses are well, completly uneducated and laughable!
BC Racing is offline   Reply With Quote