Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: 255 to 171 lbs / Ask Helhedded

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 255 to 171 lbs / Ask Helhedded

I have been working out most of my life, off and on again. I would always work out just to balance out the crap I ate. I was working out when I met Ashton several years ago. I was getting better at eating right and was pleased with my last 5 years of exercise and nutrition. I did "p90x" twice and I am on my 4th round "Insanity" right now. I also did the 21 day "Ultimate Reset" last year.

Last year Ashton started working out , eating right and losing weight. I was still doing my thing but started to see Ashton stepping up his game in the nutrition department. I still had to workout extra to make up for poor food decisions. We got into countless discussions and text on nutrition. He told me about calorie counting and how to setup a caloric intake that suited my needs. Yesterday was my 355th day logged into FitnessPal app. He has been a great resource for nutrition. He has definitley surpassed my nutrution knowledge. Now I just text him asking what to do and after a brief scoulding, I get my answer to move forward.

Long story short, Ashton can "help" but you have to "Do".
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Ashton...what have you found that works well for an in between meals snack...I'm pretty sure I'll never be a rice cake type of person. At work I'd like to have something to curb hunger that is good, and better than what I would normally grab such as pnut m&m's or a candy bar.

Got some ideas?
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Default 255 to 171 lbs / Ask Helhedded

I'm not Ashton but I go with Whole Grain Oatmeal (recomended by Ashton), little bit of honey and some Grade B maple syrup, most weekday mid-mornings.

Also: Bananas, Greek Yogurt, protein shake/bar, beef/turkey jerky, Natural type peanut butter, almond butter, pistachios (unsalted) , almonds (unsalted), granola bars.

Just watch the sodium levels with the nuts and jerkies.

Edit. I forgot about water. I snack on lots of water.

Last edited by Szczerba; 08-06-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post
Ashton...what have you found that works well for an in between meals snack...I'm pretty sure I'll never be a rice cake type of person. At work I'd like to have something to curb hunger that is good, and better than what I would normally grab such as pnut m&m's or a candy bar.

Got some ideas?
Rice cakes are some BS

oatmeal (flavored with honey an/or raw sugar)
greek yogurt
nuts (any and raw is best)
peanut butter (natural is best)
protein shake
nature valley granola bars
clif bar
protein bar
hard boiled egg
fresh fruit
applesauce (no sugar added)

Anything relatively high in protein, fat or whole grains will make you feel pretty full. So out of my list above: oatmeal, protein powder, peanut butter, nuts , egg, clif... will be your best bet. Fruit is great snack food but it won't keep you full for long so that's why it's at the bottom of the list. Depending on your feeding window it might work out to be ok.

Last edited by helhedded; 08-06-2013 at 02:30 PM.
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
I snack on lots of water.
WATER IS YOUR BESTEST FRIEND

Drink lots and pee lots.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

This has Tedrockz written all over it!!! I gotta do something myself. In high school I weighed a healthy 240ish. Pretty heavy for 5'-7", but I was in top shape. Football, running, weights, had the state 3A bench press record for several years and was relatively quick. Circa 20 years later I am 300ish at 5'-8" with a shitty knee and coming on arthritis. I have been up and down the scale for several years. I would workout and exercise(gym) as long as it was a group of us pushing each other. By the time I would get where I want to be everyone else would quit and I'd loose interest/motivation. An hernia surgery in 93 really got me away from the gym. I loved to do the heavy stuff the most. A desk job really does not help either, 10-14 hours a day on the phone and pc has weighed heavily on me. When I was on my tools I could maintain a bunch better. @40 now I know I gotta do something.

I don't eat that much for my size but the scheduling and type of food are what my biggest problems are. Come home late and eat a burger and fries then shortly to bed. My only real junk food(sweets) is usually a honeybun and a redbull for breakfast. I may eat a candy bar once a week. I am really lost on what is healthy food, way to much wrong info out there. I am a true meat and potato southern eater(steak connoisseur), but I'm open to anything except raw meat and bugs...

My realistic goal would be to loose 60 or so pounds.
TEDROCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #27
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDROCKZ View Post

Do it, brother! Dare ya!
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Ashton, I've told you several times before...I'm really proud of you. Its one thing to lose weight. Its a whole 'nuther to KEEP IT OFF!

I've lost 30lbs since I first started hanging out with all you hooligans. I believe whole heartedly in watching what you eat and portion control. (Very difficult for someone like me who LOVES FOOD). BUT, you can do anything you put your mind to. Instead of reaching for a candy bar or going for fast food because its "easy and quick", take the time and plan your meals before the day begins. You can pack a light sandwich or salad before work. Snacks can be simple as some almonds/nuts/dark chocolate. Go for protein and try to stay away from fatty foods. A protein shake for breakfast will help curb your appetite and encourage you to eat/choose better foods. Cut the sodas and limit the alcohol (beer is high in calories)! Drink lots of water like Ashton says. If you drink 1-2 sugary sodas per day, you can cut 200+ calories out of your daily intake.

Do I splurge every now and then? Of course...I'm only human. I eat what I want in moderation. Meats and veggies, limit the starchy foods and sweets.
chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDROCKZ View Post

I don't eat that much for my size but the scheduling and type of food are what my biggest problems are. Come home late and eat a burger and fries then shortly to bed. My only real junk food(sweets) is usually a honeybun and a redbull for breakfast. I may eat a candy bar once a week. I am really lost on what is healthy food, way to much wrong info out there. I am a true meat and potato southern eater(steak connoisseur), but I'm open to anything except raw meat and bugs...

What your meal consists of and when you eat is isn't as important as the amount that you are eating. It's possible to lose weight eating ice cream and McDonald's IF you are eating the proper amount. This is where most people mess up. They just eat "healthy" foods without any knowledge of how much food to actually eat, and after about of month with no real progress they give up. It really helps to know how many calories you are supposed to be eating. Then you can compare that to what you actually are eating. Only then can you build a proper plan to shed the weight in my opinion. Check the two links at the bottom of my first post to learn your true intake.

There's nothing wrong with meat and potatoes. Add a green fibrous veggie and that's a well-rounded meal.

In my opinion anything can be healthy as long as I'm getting my daily protein, carbs, fats and fiber. Your text book "healthy foods" would be whole grains, meat and fish, fruits and veggies. Preparation can tarnish that real quick. The white potato isn't bad at all. It's just the way that the majority of America eats them is what makes them so bad.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicklet View Post
Ashton, I've told you several times before...I'm really proud of you. Its one thing to lose weight. Its a whole 'nuther to KEEP IT OFF!

I've lost 30lbs since I first started hanging out with all you hooligans. I believe whole heartedly in watching what you eat and portion control. (Very difficult for someone like me who LOVES FOOD). BUT, you can do anything you put your mind to. Instead of reaching for a candy bar or going for fast food because its "easy and quick", take the time and plan your meals before the day begins. You can pack a light sandwich or salad before work. Snacks can be simple as some almonds/nuts/dark chocolate. Go for protein and try to stay away from fatty foods. A protein shake for breakfast will help curb your appetite and encourage you to eat/choose better foods. Cut the sodas and limit the alcohol (beer is high in calories)! Drink lots of water like Ashton says. If you drink 1-2 sugary sodas per day, you can cut 200+ calories out of your daily intake.

Do I splurge every now and then? Of course...I'm only human. I eat what I want in moderation. Meats and veggies, limit the starchy foods and sweets.
Thanks Chick! I noticed that you were losing the last time I saw you, I just didn't say anything. Thanks for posting up. That's some real good stuff
Old 08-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDROCKZ
This has Tedrockz written all over it!!! I gotta do something myself. In high school I weighed a healthy 240ish. Pretty heavy for 5'-7", but I was in top shape. Football, running, weights, had the state 3A bench press record for several years and was relatively quick. Circa 20 years later I am 300ish at 5'-8" with a shitty knee and coming on arthritis. I have been up and down the scale for several years. I would workout and exercise(gym) as long as it was a group of us pushing each other. By the time I would get where I want to be everyone else would quit and I'd loose interest/motivation. An hernia surgery in 93 really got me away from the gym. I loved to do the heavy stuff the most. A desk job really does not help either, 10-14 hours a day on the phone and pc has weighed heavily on me. When I was on my tools I could maintain a bunch better. @40 now I know I gotta do something.

We're here for you Tedrockz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by helhedded View Post
Thanks Chick! I noticed that you were losing the last time I saw you, I just didn't say anything. Thanks for posting up. That's some real good stuff
Thanks buddy! Yeah its different talking weight with women. But I'm not the typical female so I don't think I count I can go back through comp photos and see myself. I feel much better all around.

Oh and another rule I've made for myself...don't eat after 7pm (go to bed around 10-11pm) if at all possible. I know sometimes life/work gets in the way but for me, eating before bed is a big no no. Then I torture myself watching the Food Channel.
chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Congrats! I have began the journey myself. 227 to my current 212. Not as big as your loss, and I commend you for that! I am stopping at or around 190.
isyeskeert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #33
Adilynsdad too!

Another unmentioned positive is that Ashton always comments on how much larger my weiner looks since the weight loss...

sorry, had to
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Thank you for posting this. I always think its awesome to hear these stories. Congratulations!

I have never had weight issues myself but I hit thirty this year and have noticed the weight doesn't stay off like I used to. I noticed the other day that my belly is poking my shirt out a little bit. I have started riding my bike to work some days. I never even considered my calorie intake before but I just downloaded the LoseIt! app. We will see how it goes, I think I could stand to lose 10-15lbs.
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:35 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

Keep it man! It's a long journey, with lots of challenges. I recently gained about 20 pounds and just started trying to loose them. I was finding it hard to get back in my groove but its getting there. Before and after pics are awesome man, congrats!
nmanuel01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #36
RCC Addict

A few years back our family did a "Biggest loser" contest. I went from like 210 to 171, I remember the 1 because my target was 170. Then came kids and fast forward 5 years and I'm back at 210. I really need to do something. Being an overweight 41 year old father of a 5 year old and a 19 month old is both hard and tiring. My wife and I have never had great eating habits, but during the biggest loser I was eating salad about 4 days a week and I cut red meat out for the first month all together. Low cal, low fat, high fiber where ever I could. Maybe I wasn't very balanced in my diet because when going to the large percentage of vegetables I had the worst gas. I mean BAAAD, not only the smell but it was a little painful. One of my vegetarian coworkers said it would pass...you know what I mean.

Anyway, what is the best way to track calories for meals, since they don't come out of a box with the label on it. I need to baseline what I am eating to see where I need to cut. Then there's that whole exercise thing. The Wii based thing might be worth a shot, but with kids around it's hard to do anything for 10 minutes without being interrupted. I've spent some time in the gym but I have never really stuck with it. What do you use as motivation if you get in a rut working out?

My goal is 160 in a year. I turn 42 in a few weeks, so by 43. I realize that goal is pretty far out there so it's easy to procrastinate, and to get discouraged. So I think it would be better to break it up into short more attainable goals. Losing 50lbs sounds like a lot but losing 5lbs a month doesn't sound so bad.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Arrow Re: 255 to 171 lbs / Ask Helhedded

So, calculated my BMR at 1,818, which seems high. I do what I call "lightly active" exercise, maybe others would say it is more "moderate." I run 3-5 miles, 9 minute pace, 3 days a week. I do 25 minute "full body" work outs 3 days a week and take 1 day off. I just started wearing a pedometer for fun and found I average about 13,000 steps a day, without taking into account the running. If I take my BMR at:
1,818 x 1.375 = 2,500 calories (slightly active)
1,818 x 1.55 = 2,818 calories (moderately active)

These just seem pretty high for calories, which I guess isn't a horrible thing.

I am about 6' 1", 180-184 pounds (depending on how much crap I ate over the weekend) and 36 years old. I don't mind my weight now, just need help with crap food snacking. I fill vending machines as part of my job and get all the free pop, chips and candy I want! I have pretty much given up on pop, I average about 1 can a week. I went 5 years without one, but need occassional caffiene kick with 2 kids under 2 1/2. The candy machine is my biggest problem. I am not hungry, but grab a Peanut Butter Cup or Snickers, not even sure why.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:08 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Hellhedded,

That is an amazing transformation
Your muscles are clearly showing. Your desire to transform yourself was greater than the problem itself.
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicklet View Post
Yeah its different talking weight with women.
You can say that again! You all are so moody and sensitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isyeskeert View Post
Congrats! I have began the journey myself. 227 to my current 212. Not as big as your loss, and I commend you for that! I am stopping at or around 190.
Thanks and good luck on your journey!
Quote:
Originally Posted by braceysdad View Post
Another unmentioned positive is that Ashton always comments on how much larger my weiner looks since the weight loss...

sorry, had to
truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubs179 View Post
Thank you for posting this. I always think its awesome to hear these stories. Congratulations!

I have never had weight issues myself but I hit thirty this year and have noticed the weight doesn't stay off like I used to. I noticed the other day that my belly is poking my shirt out a little bit. I have started riding my bike to work some days. I never even considered my calorie intake before but I just downloaded the LoseIt! app. We will see how it goes, I think I could stand to lose 10-15lbs.
Thanks! Kudos to you for becoming self-aware

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmanuel01 View Post
Keep it man! It's a long journey, with lots of challenges. I recently gained about 20 pounds and just started trying to loose them. I was finding it hard to get back in my groove but its getting there. Before and after pics are awesome man, congrats!
Thanks and good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
A few years back our family did a "Biggest loser" contest. I went from like 210 to 171, I remember the 1 because my target was 170. Then came kids and fast forward 5 years and I'm back at 210. I really need to do something. Being an overweight 41 year old father of a 5 year old and a 19 month old is both hard and tiring. My wife and I have never had great eating habits, but during the biggest loser I was eating salad about 4 days a week and I cut red meat out for the first month all together. Low cal, low fat, high fiber where ever I could. Maybe I wasn't very balanced in my diet because when going to the large percentage of vegetables I had the worst gas. I mean BAAAD, not only the smell but it was a little painful. One of my vegetarian coworkers said it would pass...you know what I mean.

Anyway, what is the best way to track calories for meals, since they don't come out of a box with the label on it. I need to baseline what I am eating to see where I need to cut. Then there's that whole exercise thing. The Wii based thing might be worth a shot, but with kids around it's hard to do anything for 10 minutes without being interrupted. I've spent some time in the gym but I have never really stuck with it. What do you use as motivation if you get in a rut working out?

My goal is 160 in a year. I turn 42 in a few weeks, so by 43. I realize that goal is pretty far out there so it's easy to procrastinate, and to get discouraged. So I think it would be better to break it up into short more attainable goals. Losing 50lbs sounds like a lot but losing 5lbs a month doesn't sound so bad.
The best way to track a cooked meal is to use a food scale. Be consistent, if you prefer to weigh your meats raw then always weigh them raw, and the same with carbs. I prefer to weigh everything cooked, especially my carbs.

My dinner last night for example. Weighing takes a few extra seconds.

If you think it's better to make shorter goals then go for it! You have to find what works for you. Hmmm I've heard that somewhere before... perhaps in every tech thread on this site

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post
So, calculated my BMR at 1,818, which seems high. I do what I call "lightly active" exercise, maybe others would say it is more "moderate." I run 3-5 miles, 9 minute pace, 3 days a week. I do 25 minute "full body" work outs 3 days a week and take 1 day off. I just started wearing a pedometer for fun and found I average about 13,000 steps a day, without taking into account the running. If I take my BMR at:
1,818 x 1.375 = 2,500 calories (slightly active)
1,818 x 1.55 = 2,818 calories (moderately active)

These just seem pretty high for calories, which I guess isn't a horrible thing.

I am about 6' 1", 180-184 pounds (depending on how much crap I ate over the weekend) and 36 years old. I don't mind my weight now, just need help with crap food snacking. I fill vending machines as part of my job and get all the free pop, chips and candy I want! I have pretty much given up on pop, I average about 1 can a week. I went 5 years without one, but need occassional caffiene kick with 2 kids under 2 1/2. The candy machine is my biggest problem. I am not hungry, but grab a Peanut Butter Cup or Snickers, not even sure why.
A BMR of 1818 sounds about right for someone your age and size. With your activity rate, 1.3 -1.55 sounds right on point with my experience. You're pretty active so you can handle the calories. If you have a slow metabolism that number could be smaller, and if you have a fast one that number could be bigger.

Do you know how many calories you're eating now? Whatever it is if you aren't gaining or losing I bet it's balancing out to your maintenance calories.

Caffeine is good, I like black coffee. If you don't know why you're eating it the candy and if you aren't hungry then it's all based off of habit and it can be broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings_of_fire View Post
Hellhedded,

That is an amazing transformation
Your muscles are clearly showing. Your desire to transform yourself was greater than the problem itself.
Thanks. Incorrect! My desire to get off of high blood pressure medication was the fuel. It just so happens that my diet and exercise slowly created muscle mass throughout the process. Towards the end of 2012 I knew that I wanted to try weight training out and from then on I've been bodybuilding. So you can say that my goals shifted.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Now I just text him asking what to do and after a brief scoulding, I get my answer to move forward.
That's a good idea! I'm gonna text him right now with a problem I am having. I just ate a 1lb bag of peanut M&M's for brefkus and I need to know if I should get rid of them by drinking a lot of laxatives or a simple finger down the throat....
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote

255 to 171 lbs / Ask Helhedded - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
7 HP and Ft/Lbs from a drop in K&N? BJoe Chit Chat 22 05-27-2012 09:23 PM
Kraz-255 Alex_Core Videos! 1 05-14-2012 04:45 AM
scale winch that picks up more than 4 lbs??? bonks Electronics 11 04-07-2011 11:21 AM
6 lbs. of LiPos 92PathSE Chit Chat 11 02-01-2010 03:03 AM