Notices

Thread: 255 to 171 lbs / Ask Helhedded

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 255 to 171 lbs / Ask Helhedded

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
That's a good idea! I'm gonna text him right now with a problem I am having. I just ate a 1lb bag of peanut M&M's for brefkus and I need to know if I should get rid of them by drinking a lot of laxatives or a simple finger down the throat....

depending on what you eat for the rest of the day you might be alright
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the encouragement. I use the Lose It app to track calories.

I still eat carbs just trying to stay around a 100 grams a day to help with the weight loss. I used to eat nothing but meat, bread, and potatoes. Limiting my carb intake is helping me make healthier choices which I hope will be permanent. I still eat carbs just not tons at each meal.

Thanks for the advice and willingness to share your story.
nascarkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #43
Suck it up!

I can't seem to lose weight. Do I need a bec?
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:21 AM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I can't seem to lose weight. Do I need a bec?
No dumbass, a BEC will add weight.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #45
I wanna be Dave

So I just thought of this little tip that I like to think of "tricking your mind" that you ate a lot....

When you go to the store buy some small paper plates. They make dinner plates (like the normal ones we all have), they make a smaller plate and a cake/dessert plate. Grab some of the medium plates that are smaller than your normal plates at home. Try to keep your portions from touching the rim of the plate. Doing this will limit what you're eating by portion control. Now don't go filling that little plate with a huge slice of cake either .
chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

Ashton congrats on the weight loss. I can totally relate. I have been the fat kid my whole life. In 2008 or so i changed jobs and not working nights and eating crap. I was 36, 6ft , and tipped the scales at 305. Today i am 41 and weigh in at 201. I didnt do anything fancy i just changed my eatinghabits, sleeping pattern and excercised more. Doing all that and i think my metabolism actually changd, combined with a little.job and.life.stress. i feel way better, size 34 is way better than 42s.
marzzz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:14 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzzz23 View Post
Ashton congrats on the weight loss. I can totally relate. I have been the fat kid my whole life. In 2008 or so i changed jobs and not working nights and eating crap. I was 36, 6ft , and tipped the scales at 305. Today i am 41 and weigh in at 201. I didnt do anything fancy i just changed my eatinghabits, sleeping pattern and excercised more. Doing all that and i think my metabolism actually changd, combined with a little.job and.life.stress. i feel way better, size 34 is way better than 42s.
Hell yeah! Lifestyle change always wins
Old 08-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicklet View Post
Now don't go filling that little plate with a huge slice of cake either .
Damnit...
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Alright, I'm in. I have to do something. I'm falling apart and don't need to be.
It all started with pain in my toe. All red, swollen and painful to touch. Being in Bashra, Iraq, I thought I got bit by a creepy crawly but couldn't find the bite marks. Off to the med techs I hobbled, slowly. Fawk it hurt. Worst pain in my life. Seriously, my vasectomy hurt less. Docs took my vitals. Took them again and didn't say anything. Took a third time and finally asked me if I "felt ok". Umm other than my toe, yeah why? My BP was above 150 over 112. Holy shiite. So, along with gout, I now had high blood pressure. At this time, I was drinking moderately, and sitting at about 220 pounds.
Fast forward to this last year, 2012, I was now at 240, and had discovered the wonderful feeling of plantar fascitus. Sound familiar Ashton? So now I'm 6', 240 ish and have to do something. I have full access to a gym. I have downloaded and use myfitnesspal. My thing is motivation and lack of knowledge in the gym. I'm lost in there.
I retire from the military in a year. After that I've been pre-hired for Border Patrol. I can't wait. My problem is, I will get my ass kicked at the academy in my current condition and will have a helluva time chasing skinny mexicans through the desert. So, here goes my journey. I have been sober for almost 3 years. I have all but quit my Starbucks habit. And I have a wicked sweet tooth. My problem is moderation in all I eat. I love food. Both cooking it and eating it. Nom nom nom.

My fitness pal says at 38, 6 foot, and 240, I use just under 2100 cal. My BMR is upward of 3,091? I used the light exercise, 1.375 multiplier. I have some gym rat friends, you guys, and my brother in GA that is a gym rat, personal trainer. Motivation and accountability. The do part. And I'm done...

*forgot to add the goals
1, Under a 12 minute 1.5 mile.
2, Under 200 ASAP, at a healthy, realistic rate.
3, Ultimately, attain and maintain 180 lbs.

Jeff

Last edited by lead lobber; 08-09-2013 at 08:34 AM.
lead lobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lead lobber View Post
Alright, I'm in. I have to do something. I'm falling apart and don't need to be.
It all started with pain in my toe. All red, swollen and painful to touch. Being in Bashra, Iraq, I thought I got bit by a creepy crawly but couldn't find the bite marks. Off to the med techs I hobbled, slowly. Fawk it hurt. Worst pain in my life. Seriously, my vasectomy hurt less. Docs took my vitals. Took them again and didn't say anything. Took a third time and finally asked me if I "felt ok". Umm other than my toe, yeah why? My BP was above 150 over 112. Holy shiite. So, along with gout, I now had high blood pressure. At this time, I was drinking moderately, and sitting at about 220 pounds.
Fast forward to this last year, 2012, I was now at 240, and had discovered the wonderful feeling of plantar fascitus. Sound familiar Ashton? So now I'm 6', 240 ish and have to do something. I have full access to a gym. I have downloaded and use myfitnesspal. My thing is motivation and lack of knowledge in the gym. I'm lost in there.
I retire from the military in a year. After that I've been pre-hired for Border Patrol. I can't wait. My problem is, I will get my ass kicked at the academy in my current condition and will have a helluva time chasing skinny mexicans through the desert. So, here goes my journey. I have been sober for almost 3 years. I have all but quit my Starbucks habit. And I have a wicked sweet tooth. My problem is moderation in all I eat. I love food. Both cooking it and eating it. Nom nom nom.

My fitness pal says at 38, 6 foot, and 240, I use just under 2100 cal. My BMR is upward of 3,091? I used the light exercise, 1.375 multiplier. I have some gym rat friends, you guys, and my brother in GA that is a gym rat, personal trainer. Motivation and accountability. The do part. And I'm done...

*forgot to add the goals
1, Under a 12 minute 1.5 mile.
2, Under 200 ASAP, at a healthy, realistic rate.
3, Ultimately, attain and maintain 180 lbs.

Jeff

I dont really advise people to go by the Myftiness pal numbers. I prefer that they do the work themselves (by using the two links in my first post of this thread), or let me do it. A lot of people go off the MFP numbers and end up miserable and hungry... because they are clueless to finding their own calorie intake. What I want is for people to have a fawkin clue. You need to know why, not just because. Small chance that your numbers match the MFP numbers, but still do the calculations yourself.

I think you're confusing your BMR with maintenance calories with that 3,091 number. BMR is what it takes to operate your body if you stayed in bed all day. Maintenance is your BMR X the activity levels in the Harris-benedict formula.

As for in the gym, you could train your running on the treadmill. Ultimately you have to train for the type of work load you will put your body through the most.

Now for losing weight, you could lift weights (I can help with a great beginner program based off the barbell and dumbells), perform high intensity cardio for about 30 minutes, low intensity cardio for about an hour or a mixture of weight training and cardio. I personally think it's best to just pick one, but that's me.

You put yourself at a 1.375, but what do you really do when you go to gym? For how long, and how often a week?

I calculate your BMR to be 2271. I'd imagine that 2100 will make you hungry and miserable. Take your 2271 X 1.2 -1.375 and that puts your maintenance at 2725-3122 calories depending on what you're doing in the gym. Keep in mind that if you do more or less in the gym your maintenace can rise or fall. You know that you're at maintenance when you don't gain or lose and bodyfat while eating that certain amount. From then you create a 500 calorie daily deficit from your maintenance and you will lose 1 lb a week. The more obese you are, the more deficit you can have. But it's always a great rule to never really go too below your BMR. Your body is smart and it will realize what you are doing, then it will tell you to fawk yourself and it will go into store mode. Again, the more fat stores you have the less you can eat and still manage to lose weight. More than likely energy levels will be very low, you'll want to nap frequently especially after a good workout. It's good to keep things going until they stop working. So if a larger than 500 deficit works and you aren't losing more than 2lbs a week, fawkin go for the gold until a plateau creeps up, and it will.

Last edited by helhedded; 08-09-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Excellent info. Thanks again. I'll be in contact with you shortly.

Jeff
lead lobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lead lobber View Post
Excellent info. Thanks again. I'll be in contact with you shortly.

Jeff
yep. Also keep in mind that your weight consists of fat, muscle, water and glycogen. This is why it can fluctuate overnight. When your sodium gets crazy you'll notice a gain of 2-5 lbs overnight, when you eat too little you'll notice a drop of about 1lb of water or glycogen the next morning. This is why I advise to measure bodyfat, and stepping on the scale daily at the at the same time. You'll become very in tune with your body and you'll start to notice how your body reacts to certain foods.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

I just sent lead lobber this little bit of information that should be in the open:

I would advise to log your food intake for a week. This will be used later.

How is your weight now? are you in a gaining phase, losing phase, or a maintenance phase?

Your overall weekly intake+any gained weight will be a better way to tell where your maintenance is.

Usually when first starting out with the whole tracking calories thing it's better to log your food intake like normal and you do this for at least a week while tracking your weight. This is helpful for people that aren't really sure about which activity level they fall under in the Harris-Benedict formula. If you don't gain any weight or fat for that week, you take the total number of calories consumed for the 7 day period, divide by 7 and you basically have your daily maintenance intake. Some people with slow metabolisms this will take up to two weeks. Slow is usually best when trying to get the best results.

Last edited by helhedded; 08-09-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #54
I wanna be Dave

For all of the guys and gals that are active (this means you are an active workout-er) here is a video that will help you determine your cutting calories. The outcome is still a ballpark figure that will require you to do to some trial and error. The results are pretty spot on with my method, this is just more tailored for the fitness nuts.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:26 AM   #55
I wanna be Dave

The stretching routine below is excellent. I highly recommend it...if you can get away with it.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #56
Quarry Creeper

Well done Helhedded. I am on a similar journey. Started working out again after shoulder surgery, and logging what I eat. Started at 305 in February, and as of yesterday I am 262. I still have a ways to go, I would like to get to 225 before the end of this year. I do cardio and weights 4 days per week before work, then cardio on Saturday and Sundays. I dont really deny myself food wise I just use portion control, and make healthier choices with what I choose to eat. I have noticed that since I started this when i garbage food i really feel the effects right away. Calories out vs calories in, and make the calories in the best you can seems to work well.

Nothing beats the feeling you get when some one say "man you have lost a lot of weight you look good"
punkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan View Post
Nothing beats the feeling you get when some one say "man you have lost a lot of weight you look good"
Tell me about it. When everyone is used to your big self they get a little shocked when they see what you are accomplishing and hearing about it just adds fuel to the fire. Keep up the good work.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Well my hats off to you helhedded for loosing all that weight and for keeping it off. As a result, it looks like you've found something that your passionate about and could turn into a career

Back in April 1 I decided to change my eating habits as well as start biking again. My buddy Pinchflat lost a ton of weight the year before by riding and changing his eating habits, but I never followed suit and that always bugged me. Each month that I wanted to start I would look back and realize I've missed out on so much time. So having been eating more healthy and biking more I'm sure I have lost a bunch of weight and my clothes fit much better. I have yet to weight myself as I'm not too concerned about that (perhaps I should be) but I feel tons better.

I have 3 questions for you. Does the below eating schedule look okay? Would you change it up any? I do vary my snacks, but for the most part this is my usual day.

6:00am - Ride 20 miles - Drink 40oz of water
9:00am - Monster Energy Zero Ultra with Cliff Bar
10:30am - Handful of raw almonds
12:00pm - Healthy Choice Meal (typical calorie count is 300 - 350), Greek Yogurt (Chobani Brand) w/ 40oz of water
2:00pm - 4 slices of turkey or ham lunch meat and string cheese
4:00pm - Peach or Banana w/ Nature Valley granola bar
5:00pm - Drink 40oz of water (I have no AC in my car so I drink that on my 40min ride home LOL!!!)
7:00ish - 400 - 600 calorie dinner that my great wife makes
9:00 - 11:00 - I will ride a stationary bike for 20 miles or so. I drink another 40oz or so of water before bed.

My second question is about processed foods. As you can see above, I eat Healthy Choice meals a lot. Every day except Sat. and Sun. Those days I make my foods. Are these bad for me? Should I be staying away from these meals?

Last but not least is about weight lifting. I've lost weight and that feels great, but I want to add some strength training to balance out my workouts. You mentioned that you had a great beginners program using only dumbells. Any thoughts?

Thanks for starting this thread and taking on all our questions

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaetwo View Post
Well my hats off to you helhedded for loosing all that weight and for keeping it off. As a result, it looks like you've found something that your passionate about and could turn into a career
Thanks!

Quote:
Back in April 1 I decided to change my eating habits as well as start biking again. My buddy Pinchflat lost a ton of weight the year before by riding and changing his eating habits, but I never followed suit and that always bugged me. Each month that I wanted to start I would look back and realize I've missed out on so much time. So having been eating more healthy and biking more I'm sure I have lost a bunch of weight and my clothes fit much better. I have yet to weight myself as I'm not too concerned about that (perhaps I should be) but I feel tons better.
Congrats to you and Pinhcflat

Quote:
Does the below eating schedule look okay? Would you change it up any? I do vary my snacks, but for the most part this is my usual day.

6:00am - Ride 20 miles - Drink 40oz of water
9:00am - Monster Energy Zero Ultra with Cliff Bar
10:30am - Handful of raw almonds
12:00pm - Healthy Choice Meal (typical calorie count is 300 - 350), Greek Yogurt (Chobani Brand) w/ 40oz of water
2:00pm - 4 slices of turkey or ham lunch meat and string cheese
4:00pm - Peach or Banana w/ Nature Valley granola bar
5:00pm - Drink 40oz of water (I have no AC in my car so I drink that on my 40min ride home LOL!!!)
7:00ish - 400 - 600 calorie dinner that my great wife makes
9:00 - 11:00 - I will ride a stationary bike for 20 miles or so. I drink another 40oz or so of water before bed.
Looks pretty good. I entered your day into my setup on myfitness pal.

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps75a1c23b.jpg

Daily I'd make sure to eat my bodyweight ( or goal bodyweight) in protein grams, no less than 50 grams of fat, the rest carbs, around 20 grams of fiber, and keep the sodium consistent.

Protein is very important especially when cutting. Depending on the severity of your cut and activity, you could be losing muscle mass along with the fat. Consuming your body weight in protein (lean body mass or goal weight if you have a long way to go or are obese) will help maintain your current muscle mass.

Quote:
My second question is about processed foods. As you can see above, I eat Healthy Choice meals a lot. Every day except Sat. and Sun. Those days I make my foods. Are these bad for me? Should I be staying away from these meals?
Your food choices are pretty good. Processed foods aren't necessarily bad for you. The junk food is what gives processed foods bad names. It usually lacks micro nutrients, protein, whole grains and are high in fat and salt. The salt can get ridiculously high with most processed foods so it's good rule to keep frozen meals and other high sodium foods to a minimum.

I ate frozen meals (michelina's lean gourmet and lean cuisine pizzas) all throughout my big cut with no issues whatsoever. I don't eat them now because I eat mostly home cooked food.

Quote:
Last but not least is about weight lifting. I've lost weight and that feels great, but I want to add some strength training to balance out my workouts. You mentioned that you had a great beginners program using only dumbells. Any thoughts?

Thanks for starting this thread and taking on all our questions

The beginners program that I mentioned is for barbell and dumbbells and it really requires a gym. You can get by with dumbbells (adjustable ones like powerblocks) and a bench at home for a couple months but if you do the program like you're supposed to you will grow out of them quick. I recommend starting with a barbell in a real gym or decent home setup. You'll use the barbell for main compound movements, and the dumbbells will really only be used for curling.

The routine is really for a beginner that wants to build muscle and strength at the same time... basically what all n00bs need to do anyway.

If you eat enough you can build the muscle but if you do the routine on a cut it will just aid in the weight loss and maintaining your current muscle (provided you eat enough protein).
Old 08-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #60
Quarry Creeper

Awesome That's some serious weight lose! I cut out dairy, fried food and soda a year ago. Went mostly Vegan four months ago, down to 148 at 5'-8" from 175-185, 215 at one time. Really watch my sodium, sugar and fat intake. Dont eat anything that has more mg of sodium than calories. Nothing high fat(but snuflower seeds and nuts) or sugar. Meat once a week. Resting heart rate is in the 40's down from in the high 70's. Haven't been this lean since jr. high. I'm 39 now.
RiceBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

255 to 171 lbs / Ask Helhedded - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
7 HP and Ft/Lbs from a drop in K&N? BJoe Chit Chat 22 05-27-2012 09:23 PM
Kraz-255 Alex_Core Videos! 1 05-14-2012 04:45 AM
scale winch that picks up more than 4 lbs??? bonks Electronics 11 04-07-2011 11:21 AM
6 lbs. of LiPos 92PathSE Chit Chat 11 02-01-2010 03:03 AM