Thread: 255 to 171 lbs / Ask Helhedded

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 255 to 171 lbs / Ask Helhedded

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDROCKZ View Post
Still can press 395

How many times? Benching is my worst move at the moment.

Last edited by helhedded; 09-05-2013 at 07:51 AM.
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by helhedded View Post

How many times? Benching is my worst move at the moment.
Twice, maybe 3 if the wind is blowing right. I am short arm and big chested so it's not that high of a lift My junior year of high school I was in the 550 range. That was in the state 5A record area. I saw where that is nothing now. Some kid in Texas went like 705, he weighs in the 270 range.
TEDROCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #83
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDROCKZ View Post
Twice, maybe 3 if the wind is blowing right. I am short arm and big chested so it's not that high of a lift My junior year of high school I was in the 550 range. That was in the state 5A record area. I saw where that is nothing now. Some kid in Texas went like 705, he weighs in the 270 range.
...with shirt and I wonder what his gear looks like if he uses. I almost thought they weren't going to give it to him but they did.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #84
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

Quote:
Hey RCC people,
I'm opening up this thread to fill you in on my journey with weight loss and I also want it to help others. I have learned and continue to learn a lot of information and I'd love to offer my advice to any nutritional or fitness questions that you may have.

A little background on myself:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...nWavrackYg/pub
before and after:
http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps45202dc0.jpg

In a nutshell I lost 84 pounds in 10 months. Now I'm working on adding lean mass. In the meantime I've consulted plenty of friends with nutritional and exercise advice and I'd like to extend my professional unlicensed advice to you

BMR and it's importance: Basal metabolic rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Find YOUR calorie intake here: Harris Benedict Equation
note: The above method uses calculations to figure it's numbers. Keep in mind that they will not be exact. Results will range depending on the individuals lean body mass and body fat. Only you can find the exact number through trial and error.
Track your calories: Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com
(this website will figure your BMR and calorie intake for you. I advise you to NOT go by their numbers but to go by the numbers that YOU'VE calculated using the methods above. With my experience this is a much better option.)
i am going to give this my best shot and thank you
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:32 PM   #85
I wanna be Dave

Based on my FitBit pedometer.

3 days of National comp crawling.

About 20 miles on the rocks and whatnot.

Sent from my thumbs.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:38 AM   #86
Quarry Creeper

Holy shite Shane!
lead lobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #87
Adilynsdad too!

bump...
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Went wanting to burn fat, try fasted cardio.

The idea behind this is when you are fasted (waking up on an empty stomach, or when it's been around 8 hours since your last meal) you don't have any fuel (carbs) in your blood. Performing cardiovascular exercise during this time will force your body to turn to stored fat (energy) for fueling the cardio. Provided your protein intake is ample (around 1 gram per pound of current bodyweight, OR your goal weight) you will burn more fat (and not muscle) by doing this compared to performing cardio while being loaded with carbs. Simply put, wake the fawk up and go walking for 30 minutes to an hour. Come back and eat breakfast.

Last edited by helhedded; 09-14-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #89
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
The idea behind this is when you are fasted (waking up on an empty stomach, or when it's been around 8 hours since your last meal) you don't have any fuel (carbs) in your blood. Performing cardiovascular exercise during this time will force your body to turn to stored fat (energy) for fueling the cardio.
Fridays usually start with a couple mugs of decaf, then out to mow the lawn, and the first meal of the day winds up being dinnertime. Thought I mighta been doing something right there for a minute, but from the sounds it the sugar and flavored creamer are mercilessly slaughtering any chance I have of getting even remotely healthy. Thanks for the tip, though, I'll have to conveniently "forget" to prep the coffee pot on thursday nights, so friday I can skip the coffee, and chase the mower more effectively.

Quote:
Provided your protein intake is ample (around 1 gram per pound of current bodyweight, OR your goal weight) you will burn more fat (and not muscle) by doing this compared to performing cardio while being loaded with carbs. Simply put, wake the fawk up and go walking for 30 minutes to an hour. Come back and eat breakfast.

Ok, so,
1 gram per........ is that a daily thing? Or a breakfast thing?
'Cause by my calculations, 2 hard boiled eggs would put me somewhere in the 12.6g to 15.8g range, and 2 strips of bacon somewhere around 6ish g, maybe?
So two jumbo eggs and two strips of bacon for a 225 lb current weight?
Now does this, then, jeopardize my Friday night fish fry?
Is that going to push me off into too many proteins for the day?
Or is aforementioned 21.8g just as a breakfast, and I still should get more throughout the day?

(sorry if this seems absolutely ridiculous, but this dieting stuff is all foreign to me. Only thing I've done so far is kicked soda, for the most part.)

Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubble View Post
Fridays usually start with a couple mugs of decaf, then out to mow the lawn, and the first meal of the day winds up being dinnertime. Thought I mighta been doing something right there for a minute, but from the sounds it the sugar and flavored creamer are mercilessly slaughtering any chance I have of getting even remotely healthy. Thanks for the tip, though, I'll have to conveniently "forget" to prep the coffee pot on thursday nights, so friday I can skip the coffee, and chase the mower more effectively.

Ok, so,
1 gram per........ is that a daily thing? Or a breakfast thing?
'Cause by my calculations, 2 hard boiled eggs would put me somewhere in the 12.6g to 15.8g range, and 2 strips of bacon somewhere around 6ish g, maybe?
So two jumbo eggs and two strips of bacon for a 225 lb current weight?
Now does this, then, jeopardize my Friday night fish fry?
Is that going to push me off into too many proteins for the day?
Or is aforementioned 21.8g just as a breakfast, and I still should get more throughout the day?

(sorry if this seems absolutely ridiculous, but this dieting stuff is all foreign to me. Only thing I've done so far is kicked soda, for the most part.)

Why the decaf? Ever tried black coffee? I think caffeine before your fasted workout is ok. Sugar and creamer will for sure mess with your fast.

1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight (or your goal weight) daily. Weigh 225, eat 225 grams daily. If you want to be 175, eat 175 grams daily. You really want to support each pound of lean mass with one gram of protein daily. Your absolute bare minimum (before your body turns to muscle for energy) is actually your bodyfat percentage subtracted from your total weight which equals your real lean mass.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:01 AM   #91
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Why the decaf?

Been on regular stuff, and she still buys that for us to have on the weekends, but if I stay on the juice day in and day out, it tears up my gut something fierce. So I go unleaded during the week and all seems to be well.

Ever tried black coffee?

The wife gets on me pretty constantly about at least getting away from the creamer. Just havin' a real tough time getting there. 40+ years of sweets whenever I want, is proving a hard habit to break.

I think caffeine before your fasted workout is ok. Sugar and creamer will for sure mess with your fast.

Yeah, sounds like it.

1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight (or your goal weight) daily. Weigh 225, eat 225 grams daily.

Daily, gotcha.

If you want to be 175, eat 175 grams daily. You really want to support each pound of lean mass with one gram of protein daily.

Oh really. Hrmph. I'll have to keep that in mind if the day ever comes when I get a minute or two to count and see where I'm at on a daily basis.

Your absolute bare minimum (before your body turns to muscle for energy) is actually your bodyfat percentage subtracted from your total weight which equals your real lean mass.

Eeeehhhhhhhh, okay.
Alright, cool. Thank you for the info. I will get this to the wife and see if we can get me under control and headed in the right direction.

I'm starting to wonder if the goal I set on the Wii isn't a wee bit optimistic. If my math is right, I'd need to be down to @206ish by the end of February. Seems like a daunting task. Hopefully I can find a key and have some good news to report here, one of these days.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #92
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
206ish by the end of February. Seems like a daunting task.
If you are at 225 now, 206 by February is more than possible. If you find your daily maintenance calories and create a 500 calorie daily deficit you will lose at least 1 pound a week. February will be here in 19 weeks. You have 19 pounds to lose.

You started yet?
Old 09-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #93
Adilynsdad too!

I have recently switched to high protein slim fast shakes with my protein scoops for breakfast after a 30min bike ride on the trainer before work. Instead of skim or 2percent milk. A few more calories but it makes me feel fuller all day... Your thoughts pros and cons?
Old 09-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #94
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by braceysdad View Post
I have recently switched to high protein slim fast shakes with my protein scoops for breakfast after a 30min bike ride on the trainer before work. Instead of skim or 2percent milk. A few more calories but it makes me feel fuller all day... Your thoughts pros and cons?
no cons... go for it
Old 09-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #95
Adilynsdad too!

Quote:
no cons... go for it
Whoop whoop! It taste so good I feel like I'm cheating
Old 09-16-2013, 02:27 AM   #96
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
You started yet?
Ummmmmm, (scratching head).

I think I've figured out where I'm at.....

Ya ever hear about those people who make a six figure salary every year, but they're up to their ears in bounced checks and late notices? Never entered even one check in the register (the one in the checkbook or Quicken, whatever)? The type who throw away bank statements when they come, 'cause they don't know what that is? I mean, nice enough and smart enough people but just have NO education, training, or practice at handling money.....
I think that's where I'm still at. Much like they're sitting at the kitchen table clutching a checkbook, I did go to one of them dealywhacker links posted above and iirc, I put in a reasonable factor of 1.25 or 1.375, and came up with a caloric budget of two thousand, one hundred and something. So I know that much. But like the person above trying to bail themselves out with no register and no statements, I'm sitting here with next to no idea what I'm taking in. So I think before I get too excited about getting to a weight loss goal, I need to see if my brain will please sit down and focus long enough to hammer out what I'm actually doing. The wife put both Fooducate and MyFitnessPal on my phone, so I've been given the tools, but my brain is acting like a magnet and just repelling going down that road.

In other news, it's been two weeks since my last Wii Body Test. My BMI is up from (allegedly) 36.78 to 36.85. And my weight is up 0.4 lbs to 229.3. I think it said 22.7 lbs to goal. (and yes, I was admonished by the machine for testing at an hour that I should have been sleeping)

So.... anyways, I apologize if, and don't want it to seem like I'm just yankin' yer chain on this, I just didn't know if this problem I'm having of gaining control was typical, or if there was just something else I needed to go through before I got on track. But I am hearing what you're laying down, and I am putting these aces up my sleeve, so when I do get straightened out, things should go fairly smooth, I think. Thanks for being patient with me on this.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:53 AM   #97
Quarry Creeper

Trubble,

It took me several factors to line up before it clicked and I NEEDED to do something about it (several injuries do to excess weight, and blood pressure meds mainly). Something will click for you. You know where to find the guy with the knowledge to get you where you need to be. One step at a time, just like eating an elephant, one spoonful at a time. It's a lot to do, but ya gotta start some where.
May I suggest not starting with a goal, but to just collect data on what you eat and when. Do that then take the next step. By then your two steps down the road. Progress, gimmie my -2 points... LOL

Cheers.
Jeff
lead lobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:27 AM   #98
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ummmmmm, (scratching head).

I think I've figured out where I'm at.....

Ya ever hear about those people who make a six figure salary every year, but they're up to their ears in bounced checks and late notices? Never entered even one check in the register (the one in the checkbook or Quicken, whatever)? The type who throw away bank statements when they come, 'cause they don't know what that is? I mean, nice enough and smart enough people but just have NO education, training, or practice at handling money.....
I think that's where I'm still at. Much like they're sitting at the kitchen table clutching a checkbook, I did go to one of them dealywhacker links posted above and iirc, I put in a reasonable factor of 1.25 or 1.375, and came up with a caloric budget of two thousand, one hundred and something. So I know that much. But like the person above trying to bail themselves out with no register and no statements, I'm sitting here with next to no idea what I'm taking in. So I think before I get too excited about getting to a weight loss goal, I need to see if my brain will please sit down and focus long enough to hammer out what I'm actually doing. The wife put both Fooducate and MyFitnessPal on my phone, so I've been given the tools, but my brain is acting like a magnet and just repelling going down that road.

In other news, it's been two weeks since my last Wii Body Test. My BMI is up from (allegedly) 36.78 to 36.85. And my weight is up 0.4 lbs to 229.3. I think it said 22.7 lbs to goal. (and yes, I was admonished by the machine for testing at an hour that I should have been sleeping)

So.... anyways, I apologize if, and don't want it to seem like I'm just yankin' yer chain on this, I just didn't know if this problem I'm having of gaining control was typical, or if there was just something else I needed to go through before I got on track. But I am hearing what you're laying down, and I am putting these aces up my sleeve, so when I do get straightened out, things should go fairly smooth, I think. Thanks for being patient with me on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lead lobber View Post
May I suggest not starting with a goal, but to just collect data on what you eat and when. Do that then take the next step.

Jeff Nailed it and I tell everyone to do this first. Get a good idea of what your are currently eating for 1-2 weeks. Educate yourself of your habits, the good and bad. THEN slowly work your way into the suggested calories which should be 500 below maintenance. I'd say 100-200 calories every 3 days, or you can even stretch it out further to 250 or so a week. The slower you adjust the easier things will be. The stomach will expand and contract when given enough time.

It's never a good idea to jump head first into this as you will more than likely become overwhelmed and prematurely give up.

As far as getting your head ready for this, you'll know when. It may take failing a few times to get it right.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:09 AM   #99
I wanna be Dave

BD, this is funny. I'll never forget when you posted this. This really cut down to the bone. It took me a couple more years to get the ball rolling, but hey I'm glad. Thanks.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/2013-...ml#post2661406
Old 09-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #100
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
BD, this is funny. I'll never forget when you posted this. This really cut down to the bone. It took me a couple more years to get the ball rolling, but hey I'm glad. Thanks.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/2013-...ml#post2661406
I mean, OW, but still......

255 to 171 lbs / Ask Helhedded - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
7 HP and Ft/Lbs from a drop in K&N? BJoe Chit Chat 22 05-27-2012 09:23 PM
Kraz-255 Alex_Core Videos! 1 05-14-2012 04:45 AM
scale winch that picks up more than 4 lbs??? bonks Electronics 11 04-07-2011 11:21 AM
6 lbs. of LiPos 92PathSE Chit Chat 11 02-01-2010 03:03 AM