Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: When did the US become a "Christian" nation?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: When did the US become a "Christian" nation?

I love when I get those thumpers at my door trying to push there stuff on me, my response is this....

"excuse me, but do I come to your door and try to push my shit on you ??? no I don't !!!....besides my great leader satan would not like me going behind his back to switch to your belief !!!....now you have 5 seconds to get back in your car before I let my devil dog to munch on your dumb ass, RUN 5 4 3 2"

by 2 they are running to there car as my dog is barking like all hell when I say "go get them" ....come to think bout it now I have not seen any of them in a few years ....
bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #22
Suck it up!

That's not very nice.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
That's not very nice.
but it is funny as all hell ....
bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
You can't legislate morality.
Every law ever passed is someone's idea of morality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtbham View Post
I don`t get what you are after here, christians have it plenty rough as it is. I don`t think there is another religion that you can openly redicule the way you can christianity. For example; tell a christian at work that his religion sucks - nothing will happen. Tell a muslim his religion sucks at work and your ass is fired. Being a white christian I belong to the most legally discriminated against group there is - yeah me! I wholeheartedly believe in the seperation of church and state, I am pretty sure most of us do - again, dont let a few loudmouths on TV speak for all of us.
Keep speaking the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post
I love when I get those thumpers at my door trying to push there stuff on me, my response is this....

"excuse me, but do I come to your door and try to push my shit on you ??? no I don't !!!....besides my great leader satan would not like me going behind his back to switch to your belief !!!....now you have 5 seconds to get back in your car before I let my devil dog to munch on your dumb ass, RUN 5 4 3 2"

by 2 they are running to there car as my dog is barking like all hell when I say "go get them" ....come to think bout it now I have not seen any of them in a few years ....
And you are why people legislate morality
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #25
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrog View Post
Every law ever passed is someone's idea of morality.
Not quite. Is it immoral to exceed the speed limit?

Secular laws are made to keep civil peace and promote safety. Religious laws are made to promote religious doctrine. Much of the Christian principals that so many claim our country was founded upon can be found in other, older, and non-Christian civilizations. They are not unique to any particular faith.

Like it or not, western religion is pretty liberal.

Quote:
Keep speaking the truth
Its "ok" to harass Christianity because Christianity has a long and continuing history of harassing others. So, like I said, what goes around comes around.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Quote:
Not quite. Is it immoral to exceed the speed limit?
Yes it is. I don't know if speed limits where passed after enough people got killed from speeding or if the laws were passed in anticipation of possible deaths.

So I will stick to my comment of: Every law ever passed is someone's idea of morality.

You can give it another name like Secular. But in the end, its still someone's idea of what they think is right, or just, which = morality.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #27
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Chocolate covered.
Yummy. Would they have nougat or caramel centers?

But seriously, there are many divisions in Christianity. How and who would decide which one the US should adopt as the "official" kind? Catholics are the largest group in the US (50m members), Baptists are the next largest (33m members). Anyone who knows anything about religious history knows that those are two very diverse camps and in general don't really agree on much other than some very basic things.

Remember that our country was settled primarily by people escaping religious prosecution and oppression in Europe. In essence they were Christians running away from a Protestant theocracy/monarchy that still exists there today.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #28
RCC Addict

And to answer the original thread question of When did the US become a "Christian" nation?

The Moment it Began
Old 11-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #29
Suck it up!

Quote:
You can give it another name like Secular. But in the end, its still someone's idea of what they think is right, or just, which = morality.
Morality is not exclusive to religion.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #30
Suck it up!

Quote:
And to answer the original thread question of When did the US become a "Christian" nation?

The Moment it Began
How do you explain the slavery, murder, and confiscation of land by our founders to build this "Christian Nation"? Not very Christ-like actions IMO...
Old 11-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Quote:

The Moment it Began
Absolutely wrong. Have you ever heard of the First Amendment?

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

The country was funded under God, not under Jesus. I think our courts have made asses out of them selves by limiting the expression of religion to satisfy the Athiests, I.e. Prayer in school, religious icons on government property, etc. But, stating we are a Christian Nation or attempting to deny our rights based on our religion is as un-American as treason and should be treated the same.

Trying to assign higher moral values to Christians based on the teachings in the bible is also absurd. Buddhists follow the Noble Eight Fold Path which was written 2000 years before Christ, the Hindus follow the 5 Principles and the 10 Disiplines that were written in the same time frame. The Christian 10 commandments are the same as the 10 Commands in the Torah and the Koran. Christians have no patent on morality.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Jesus Christ!
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Quote:
How do you explain the slavery, murder, and confiscation of land by our founders to build this "Christian Nation"? Not very Christ-like actions IMO...
Agreed. Being a Christian does not make a person perfect or right all the. Although the anti-Christ's think they should be lol.

A statement like that makes me think of someone who would say they don't want to go to the Doctor because a Doctor can still get sick. To think someone is supposed to be perfect because they try to practice a religion is absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillarson View Post

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

This was more intended to keep from having a state run Church.

The country was funded under God, not under Jesus. I think our courts have made asses out of them selves by limiting the expression of religion to satisfy the Athiests, I.e. Prayer in school, religious icons on government property, etc. But, stating we are a Christian Nation or attempting to deny our rights based on our religion is as un-American as treason and should be treated the same.

The latest US census report shows that over 75% of Americans clam to be of the Christian faith under many different names which I do not claim to know or remember what each one is.

Trying to assign higher moral values to Christians based on the teachings in the bible is also absurd. Buddhists follow the Noble Eight Fold Path which was written 2000 years before Christ, the Hindus follow the 5 Principles and the 10 Disiplines that were written in the same time frame. The Christian 10 commandments are the same as the 10 Commands in the Torah and the Koran. Christians have no patent on morality.
WOW! This is like Sunday School lol.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #34
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillarson View Post

Thomas Jefferson also very plainly and officially declared that America was NOT a Christian nation during our conflict with the Muslim pirates of Tripoli.

Prayer has never been banned from schools. Open and group prayer maybe, but not individual prayer. Christians have the advantage of quick, efficient prayer that can easily be done anywhere at any time. Other traditions do not. In the interest of fairness you either have to allow all forms or no forms.

Churches outnumber public schools 3:1 anyway. If our kids aren't getting the spiritual or moral guidance they need at home or at church, I doubt things will improve greatly by forcing it upon our educational systems.

The same goes for displaying religious items in or on our government buildings. By law they cannot show favor to any one group, so they have to welcome all decorations or none. As diverse as our culture is, its best not to be involved at all.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #35
Suck it up!

Quote:
Agreed. Being a Christian does not make a person perfect or right all the. Although the anti-Christ's think they should be lol.

A statement like that makes me think of someone who would say they don't want to go to the Doctor because a Doctor can still get sick. To think someone is supposed to be perfect because they try to practice a religion is absurd.

WOW! This is like Sunday School lol.
The proponents of the argument frame it like the founding fathers where a most righteous bunch whos only reason for being here was to create a nation devoted to Christ. They are attempting to rewrite American history by skipping over or ignoring the bits that plainly contradict the message they want to put out. It is the same game that Creationists play when the topic is evolution or the supposed age of the Earth. They ignore the bulk of documented and repeatable evidence in favor of their own opinions backed by out-of-context quotes.

Check out some of the Christian home school curriculum. It is disturbing how badly history and biology is twisted there.

It is not about being perfect, it is about not being delusional when discussing history.

We are undoubtedly a nation of Christians, but that is a very different thing than a Christian Nation.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 11-03-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Not perfect but someone who claims to follow a better moral law than those who are non believers should live a morally better existence, based upon their teachings. History has shown us that this is universally just not so.

Some individuals without spiritual guidance rape, kill and steal all they want... which is not at all. People are just different... Some need the threat of a spanking to act like a human, some don't.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #37
Suck it up!

Quote:
The latest US census report shows that over 75% of Americans clam to be of the Christian faith under many different names which I do not claim to know or remember what each one is.
True, but not all denominations are equal, nor do they have the same ideals. Catholics outnumber Baptists, but if you were to lump all Protestant faiths together they would outnumber Catholics.

If you think the Democrat vs Republican drama is bad, wait and see what happens when you openly throw the many flavors of Christianity into the mix.

We have had only one Catholic President, and that was JFK. There was enough concern about his beliefs that a meeting was held with Evangelical leaders to assure them that his priority as President was to serve the American people and not the Vatican.

Some percentage of those people simply self identify as Christian, and do not hold to the practice. There are also the nondenominational Christians that are practicing but do not align with any established sect.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 11-03-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #38
Suck it up!

How many people think that if Romney were elected instead of Obama, we would have had an 'actual' Christian in the White House, and not a 'says he is' Christian?
Old 11-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
How many people think that if Romney were elected instead of Obama, we would have had an 'actual' Christian in the White House, and not a 'says he is' Christian?
Mormon
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #40
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
Mormon
Yes, and Mormons consider themselves part of Christianity.

When did the US become a "Christian" nation? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gYr-dbPEOnE" frameborde boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 10-01-2013 09:39 AM
"Rockbiter" (German, "steinbeisser", "stone biter") CarterFab General Scale Talk 54 06-10-2013 11:19 PM