Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Official MTB / Mountain Biking Chit Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2015, 07:34 AM   #1201
Just jump it!

Default Re: Official MTB / Mountain Biking Chit Chat

Finally got some ride time in after 6 1/2 weeks of not riding.

Video is just some putting down singletrack. Some nice Mtn scenery though.

https://youtu.be/vpg-jbQdv4g
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2015, 09:34 AM   #1202
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiphead View Post
The other day, while on a ride, I had the idea to share this video with this group. Last March was 40th birthday, my son and I met my brother in Moab, Utah. We had a great time with RC trucks and mtn bikes. This is probably the only place on the planet that I could find people that might appreciate this video. I made it for our memories not so much to be shared. But anyway...
Looked like fun, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Rode the SS up to the new brewery last night since it's fairly close to my new place.
SS is always fun! Love that sign at the brewery lol.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:01 PM   #1203
Just jump it!

Did some DH riding at Brianhead resort.
I chickened out on one drop at about 60 seconds or so in, but then i went back and did it. Used up all my travel on the Reign today. Place was rocky! And i still cant get my camera angles right.....one day i will!

Last edited by rottenbelly; 07-17-2015 at 04:03 PM.
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:55 PM   #1204
Quarry Creeper

I've been off the bike for a bit, and made it a point to get back at this past week. After three road rides to get my legs back under me, I hit Tsali yesterday. It was hot and humid as hell, and I really struggled some since it's been a while, but man was it great to be back out there.

Tuesday's storms must have been worse at Tsali than they were here. Also the trails overall are in need of some TLC, they're really grown up.

Took a short lunch break here, not a lot of people bother coming up here, so it's usually quiet and peaceful.

I always go to the overlook, never get tired of the view

The little store on the way home has started carrying some awesome post ride snacks!

Grabbed some street tacos on the way home for dinner, delicious!

Washed down with one of these from my random build a six pack, not bad.

Last edited by hpiguy; 07-19-2015 at 08:38 PM.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:33 AM   #1205
RCC Addict

Got out on a fun 15 miler a few days ago in Roanoke, VA. Apologies for the slightly blurry shots.

Taking a break on the Enchanted Forest trail.

Red raspberries were in full effect on these trails. We took a small fire road back to the cars and every 10-15 feet was a raspberry bush.

jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:46 AM   #1206
Rock Stacker

Hell ya, trail raspberries are awesome! Gotta stop and eat my fill every time I see them.
rupps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 02:46 PM   #1207
Rock Crawler

hpiguy, I'm a little jealous of your location. Me an 3 buddies took a bike vacation in 02. We rode Tsali for 2 days, what a great place man. We also stayed in a resort outside of Boone and did some road bike riding in the Blue Ridge Mountains. The local bike shop took us on some epic rides, said that Lance & the US Postal team trained down there in the off season.

We finished our week up just outside Atlanta up on Bull Mountain. My one bud went to a chiropractic college down there and was very familiar with the trails. One of the most fun weeks I had on my bikes, never forget it.
gdb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:12 PM   #1208
Quarry Creeper

Mmmm, raspberries!

gdb85 - If you ever get back down this way, let me know, lots of better stuff not far from here. Tsali isn't bad, don't get me wrong, and I love it because it's my closest decent trail and for the secenry. But it doesn't hold a candle to the stuff out around Brevard.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:34 PM   #1209
Scale Detail Engineering

I finally got a new tube for my flat.
Went out Saturday morning on 10psi instead of the 7psi I had been running... it seemed to take more energy to work the rocks.or maybe I felt that way because it was 90 degrees instead of 75.

I also chickened out on a big drop... I'm not moving fast enough to "jump" anything though so it is literary a drop.
I got off the bike and manually positioned it to see if the sprocket would clear and it will... but I don't know if I can keep enough forward momentum to stay upright after the drop. I'll try to get a pic next time.

I did span my first gap... it's a set of rocks I've been eyeing since i started but haven't tried because it's right on the edge of the lake.
But I did it.
Basically, rode up a totally of 1.5' at a 35 degree angle.
First rick was about 9" up and then close to a foot gap with the 2nd rock ledge another 9" up... I was pretty damn happy with myself.

I also raked my shin with my DMR Vault pedal.

And, I like my Surly soooo much, my gf and I each bought a Surly Pacer!
Attached Images

johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:54 PM   #1210
I wanna be Dave

Lots of nice riding and pics lately.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:56 PM   #1211
Quarry Creeper

Nice Johnny! Road biking is the best thing I ever did for my mountain biking, and my health. Post up some pics in the road bike thread.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:57 PM   #1212
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Nice Johnny! Road biking is the best thing I ever did for my mountain biking, and my health. Post up some pics in the road bike thread.
x2 add in a little yoga, stretching and core strengthening exercises.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:49 PM   #1213
Quarry Creeper

Good trail followed by tacos and some suds... I am extremely jealous my friend.
bryco13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:46 PM   #1214
Rock Crawler

One of my local trailheads is in a mall parking lot, there is a place like a Qudoba or Chipolte. I don't ride there often, but I stop and get a big ass burrito almost everytime I do. It's a good Friday night trail.
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:48 PM   #1215
Quarry Creeper

Now that I have some miles under my belt, I decided it was time to dust of the single speeds and ramp things up a notch on whipping my ass back into shape. Headed over to Tsali again today, this time on the SS fattie, and Mouse and Thompson loops. I ran Thompson CW and Mouse CCW, Lots of downed trees from last weeks storm, and lots and LOTS of suffering today. My legs were toast three miles from the truck, I just literally had nothing left to give, but had to anyway. Besides, I like food and beer more than sleeping in the trail.

Stream crossing on Thompson, good place to soak down you're gear when it's 90deg out

Found this tree that had been hit by lightning

Lots of downed trees

Some just broken right off

Lots of fun too though, I can't wait to go suffer my ass off again! (DISCLAIMER: I might give it a few days, I'm beat.)

Strava

Old 07-23-2015, 04:51 AM   #1216
Rock Crawler

When I first started posting in this thread I had a custom Foes that sat for years. After a couple of failed attempts to sell it on ebay I was ready to give some young guy at the LBS a super deal on it and my friend/owner of the shop stepped in and said not to do anything drastic. He took it in on a trade and gave me a Framed Alaskan Carbon Fatbike frame and a new Camelback Mule. I was happy as a lark and he was good too, claimed he could make money by parting it out. Cool Beans!!!

Taking all the stuff I put on my Minnesota and putting it on this frame and re-installing the Sram X7 stuff. I have a DT Swiss Big Ride wheel set on the way for the new frame. Pic's this weekend.

Anybody looking for a Framed Minnesota 3.0 lightly used? Make ya a great deal.
gdb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:35 PM   #1217
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Lots of nice riding and pics lately.

No kidding, I need to start taking more pics out on the trail. I don't have all the great views and over looks like alot of you have, most of my stuff is just hilly, green, and treed in. This is a pretty good thread, not too much tech and crazy stuff like Pinkbike, but more traffic than my local Mtb site.

I just converted my 29er over to a 1x10, and I really like it. I have been playing with the gearing the past few weeks, and more or less relearning how to ride a 10 speed bike on the trails.

Last edited by BLKXJ 96; 07-23-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:23 PM   #1218
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKXJ 96 View Post
I just converted my 29er over to a 1x10, and I really like it. I have been playing with the gearing the past few weeks, and more or less relearning how to ride a 10 speed bike on the trails.
Definitely one of the better things I've done to my bike as well. I ultimately settled on 30t up front and a 11-42 cassette setup. Climbs these Southwest VA hills nicely.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:43 PM   #1219
RCC Addict

I'll be heading out for a ride tomorrow on the Opus, should be good, it's been raining most of the week.

Also, I started a fund for myself to get another bike for next season, a 2015 Giant 27.5 Stance 2:

canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:28 PM   #1220
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsowens View Post
Definitely one of the better things I've done to my bike as well. I ultimately settled on 30t up front and a 11-42 cassette setup. Climbs these Southwest VA hills nicely.
I'm at 34t with 11/36 x 10 and I really like it for my area. I had a 36t up front and it was a bit much for climbing the steep stuff. The strange part is riding shifted all the way out in high gear on the flat stuff, like I said it's relearning how to ride. After 25 years of mountain biking, this is one of the best mods I have ever done....

Official MTB / Mountain Biking Chit Chat - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official WiRCRC Chit Chat R/CMaxximus5.0 Wisconsin 3168 09-01-2023 09:04 PM
Mountain biking adamargue Chit Chat 30 09-09-2013 09:01 PM
Official 4x4allstar Chit Chat Thread Ced RC Illinois 1022 09-18-2010 07:12 AM