Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Streaming internet tv options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2014, 03:02 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Streaming internet tv options

I also ditched cable! HDTV is broadcast through the air like fm. I bought an inexpensive outdoor hd antennia and mounted it on my house. We get close to 30 channels, not all of them are in english

We also have netflix (can't beat it for the $) bought my daughter roku for Christmas (she doesn't have a smart tv) I am very impressed with it also.
bretkissick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2014, 11:37 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the input folks. We picked up a Roku3 tonight..
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:48 PM   #23
5th D Owner/Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Good choice.
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:59 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Enjoy. I know we have
nharkey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:30 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Figured I would bump this.. So its taken a little time to get used to the "just click thru channels" but its starting to become somewhat normal to use the Roku. It was hard trying to figure out what channels were out there and we are up to 2 units now.

So another cool thing is we have a new router that can use a USB drive for our home network. Been playing with it for a couple nights and finally got things workin so with the Roku media player I can now play movies from the network. I have tons of movies and will I will be filling up my 2tb drive in no time.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:08 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

I just cut the Direct TV cord and am using an antenna for about 20 channels. We also have Netflix.

I saw were Sling TV will be out soon for $20/month with some decent channels. Will just be an app for a TV or device, I assume. The main channels it has that I want is ESPN and TBS.

"Which channels can you watch with Sling TV?

As a paid subscriber to Sling TV, you will get access to a core package called The Best of Live TV. It includes Video-On-Demand content and channels like ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, TBS, Food Network, HGTV, Travel, Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, ABC Family, and CNN."

In my Direct TV canceling haste, I am trying to figure out how to watch the College Football game tomorrow night, that is on ESPN.

Last edited by Szczerba; 01-11-2015 at 01:11 PM.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:14 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

^^^ drunk in a bar sounds like a good plan

Our household employees a Roku 2, Roku 3, sony bluray, and a Wii for television style entertainment. Been that way going on 2yrs now

Last edited by nharkey85; 01-11-2015 at 01:26 PM.
nharkey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:25 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Most of the sports I would watch (I'm not into anything without wheels) I can find online for free a couple days after it airs. All the SX and AMA MX rounds are on youtube in full HD thankfully.

Still loving my Roku 3, did have to do a hard reset the other day though as it kept rebooting itself. That fixed the issue however.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:59 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nharkey85 View Post
^^^ drunk in a bar sounds like a good plan

Our household employees a Roku 2, Roku 3, sony bluray, and a Wii for television style entertainment. Been that way going on 2yrs now

I live in a dry county in middle of nowhere Arkansas, so that's out.

I just found that I can use my Dad's Cox account info (he lives in civilization) to log into the WatchESPN app on my Ipad and can chromecast that. ESPN viewing Problem solved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Most of the sports I would watch (I'm not into anything without wheels) I can find online for free a couple days after it airs. All the SX and AMA MX rounds are on youtube in full HD thankfully.

Still loving my Roku 3, did have to do a hard reset the other day though as it kept rebooting itself. That fixed the issue however.

Since Villopoto is no longer in SX, I dont care to watch it. Ill remember that for anything else though.

I will say, the HD antenna has better clarity than compared to the Direct TV HD did.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:26 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Yep, I understand why RV did it, but still, it changes everything. I like outdoors better anyway though, much harder to survive than SX when you're running two motos a day in 100 degree heat, and I prefer the use of the natural terrain. I just think it's more of the roots of the sport to be honest, and it's what I grew up watching.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:34 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Another option that's been working well for me is a slim/mini PC for the front room. Nice to have a full browser and Winblows, the Roku3 wasn't robust enough for me.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:49 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

We run Netflix 90% of the time. We have Hulu and amazon prime too but amazon is only good for movies since you have to pay for everything. We run it through the tv or ps3. I have a wireless keyboard and mouse hooked up too so I can surf in 60" glory if I choose.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:59 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Huh? Amazon has a ton of TV content for free, I watch all kinds of stuff using it. Including the HBO series that are exclusive to Amazon. Now, if you're talking about the current ongoing season of whatever show it is, then yes you generally have to pay for that.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:04 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
We run Netflix 90% of the time. We have Hulu and amazon prime too but amazon is only good for movies since you have to pay for everything. We run it through the tv or ps3. I have a wireless keyboard and mouse hooked up too so I can surf in 60" glory if I choose.
Same here, kensington k400 keyboard. RCC on 55" for me
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:09 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

I was going to say amazon prime has a ton of content for free--one of the reasons for having prime.

With the roku though you can get any of the streaming services and there are even a bunch of free channels with lots of movies. For a one time purchase far better than what a ps3/ps4 can offer in free content..

I also have over 1000 movies and every season of like 10 tv shows on my sever and my shop thats almost 200ft away from the house I also have a roku and can access anything from my server--love it.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:10 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
Same here, kensington k400 keyboard. RCC on 55" for me
Logitech k520 here.

We haven't found anything that WE watch on prime except movies how about that.

The wife has prime since it saves us more on shipping than it costs per year not for tv. The tv service was just a side effect.

I think we're going to cancel Hulu since we never use it.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:18 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

I got the Amazon fire stick for $20 and have amazon prime. I can't find anything worth watching

Ive been using a smart blu-ray with netlix and hulu. Way better selection than amazon
1tonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:25 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

We stream from a laptop HDMI'd to the TV for 7-8 years now. Netflix, HULU, A&E, etc., etc. I haven't paid a cable bill in ten years. Also ChromeCast from IPads to bedroom TV. Hit RedBox for movie night.
RiceBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

I'm just starting to attempt to get a grip on this new way of watching the 'tube. The place I'm living at right now has Verizon wifi. I don't own a tv and don't to buy one anytime soon, but it is nice to be able to watch an occasional show.( and local news) I've found a way to stream one f the local channels for the news, but I'm lost when trying to figure out anything else.

Do have to purchase software in order to watch anything on Hulu? How does it work for for viewing Amazon? I'd basically want to be able to watch Discovery, History channel and Sci-Fi channel.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:56 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
I'm just starting to attempt to get a grip on this new way of watching the 'tube. The place I'm living at right now has Verizon wifi. I don't own a tv and don't to buy one anytime soon, but it is nice to be able to watch an occasional show.( and local news) I've found a way to stream one f the local channels for the news, but I'm lost when trying to figure out anything else.

Do have to purchase software in order to watch anything on Hulu? How does it work for for viewing Amazon? I'd basically want to be able to watch Discovery, History channel and Sci-Fi channel.

Hulu and Netflix etc only require minor software downloads. Any device that can connect to the intardnets is capable of streaming them. The roku box people speak of simply takes the place of a video game system or computer in order to stream video to a non wifi or "smart" tv.

Streaming internet tv options - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IRON MAIDEN Live Streaming helhedded Chit Chat 13 09-23-2013 05:04 AM
Universal Dyno project with streaming data JohnRobHolmes Electronics 76 09-02-2013 08:00 PM
The Internet Mayhem Eng. Chit Chat 10 02-07-2013 09:33 PM
What is the Internet? constantmotion Chit Chat 1 01-31-2011 09:03 AM
Internet TV tom@vp Chit Chat 18 10-14-2009 01:45 PM