Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Streaming internet tv options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2014, 11:53 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Streaming internet tv options

So we are trying to cut costs and cutting cable is one of them. We currently have amazon prime but my new smart tv doesn't have the app so I use my ps3 for streaming stuff thru amazon. I have read a little and the Roku looks interesting and since we have multiple tv's in the house something an inexpensive option like that would work. I know google has a device but I have not read up much on that one. I figured there were at least a few who use similar devices and was looking for some input. Heck for what we pay in cable we could easily outfit almost all the tv's in the house for a months cost of cable.
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2014, 06:49 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Streaming internet tv options

If wanting a set-top box for streaming look a the Western Digital Play or their Gen2 TV live box. Can stream off a local NAS box or USB drive if you're into ripping DVDs.

The Google Chromecast is ok, but you need an smartphone or tablet to control the thing.

Or, look at some of the new Blu-ray players. Most of them now have streaming apps built into them.

Last edited by BUBBA069; 06-25-2014 at 06:58 AM.
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:18 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Crash, since you have Amazon Prime, check out the Amazon Fire TV, similar to the Roku 3. My wife and I have been considering ditching cable and go to something similar.

Amazon Fire TV – Streaming Media Player – Shop Now
Devil Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:39 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

netflix?
Mr.Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:23 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I solely run netflix through a roku 2 and a roku 3. I bought the 2 on sale, but would rather have another 3 in its place

Sent from an SG3-Mini
nharkey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:37 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Inc View Post
Crash, since you have Amazon Prime, check out the Amazon Fire TV, similar to the Roku 3. My wife and I have been considering ditching cable and go to something similar.

I had heard something about amazon coming out with there own box. For some reason I thought the Roku3 was cheaper but seems to be the same price as the amazon unit..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Slave View Post
netflix?
Read much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nharkey85 View Post
I solely run netflix through a roku 2 and a roku 3. I bought the 2 on sale, but would rather have another 3 in its place

Sent from an SG3-Mini
So whats the different between the 2 and the 3?
Old 06-25-2014, 09:02 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBA069 View Post

The Google Chromecast is ok, but you need an smartphone or tablet to control the thing.
Google Chrome on the PC will control it too.
Jeckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:04 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeckler View Post
Google Chrome on the PC will control it too.
Involves getting out the comfy chair though
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:22 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Ya I want a stand alone box--not something I have to use my pc's with....
Old 06-25-2014, 04:20 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Roku3 = A+ option. Has channels that you can add. If, like in my case, you have TimeWaner internet, you create an account online with TWC and then you can log into the Roku TWC channel and get a ton of standard channels and current programming like with your TV set box/DVR. Just found it and seems to work really well. Also has USB so you can play mp4's/mp3's/pictures/music/etc from an external hard drive. Standard server streaming options. No DVR type options that I am aware of, but I've only been using it for about 2 months.

Google Chromecast = B+. Limited to what ChromeCast offers for streaming = Netflix and requires smartphone/tablet that connects to Wifi to configure. I gave mine to my parents so they could watch Colombo and John Wayne movies off my account. They love it.
offroadace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:29 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
So we are trying to cut costs and cutting cable is one of them. We currently have amazon prime but my new smart tv doesn't have the app so I use my ps3 for streaming stuff thru amazon. I have read a little and the Roku looks interesting and since we have multiple tv's in the house something an inexpensive option like that would work. I know google has a device but I have not read up much on that one. I figured there were at least a few who use similar devices and was looking for some input. Heck for what we pay in cable we could easily outfit almost all the tv's in the house for a months cost of cable.
Good idea, they are all charging way too much for 300 channels of crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Inc View Post

I've heard it's good, had Roku3 it's ok but remote interface could be better but it's the best of this type I've used. SonyTV device sucked, overpriced, locked down version of Google Chrome, couldn't install any addons like script or adblock, or different browser. I returned that pos and got my money back. Went with budget laptop bought on Sunday one day sale at local Office store, connect to tv with hdmi cable, internet via wifi, and controlled with Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse combo.

Quote:

Sent from an SG3-Mini
Netflix is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadace View Post
Roku3 = A+ option. Has channels that you can add. If, like in my case, you have TimeWaner internet, you create an account online with TWC and then you can log into the Roku TWC channel and get a ton of standard channels and current programming like with your TV set box/DVR. Just found it and seems to work really well. Also has USB so you can play mp4's/mp3's/pictures/music/etc from an external hard drive. Standard server streaming options. No DVR type options that I am aware of, but I've only been using it for about 2 months.

Google Chromecast = B+. Limited to what ChromeCast offers for streaming = Netflix and requires smartphone/tablet that connects to Wifi to configure. I gave mine to my parents so they could watch Colombo and John Wayne movies off my account. They love it.
Good info.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:01 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Roku 3 also has ethernet port unlike all the previous roku versions (if you're that kinda person). The roku 3 remote is RF, has a headphone jack with its own volume control. Roku 2 remote is IR and very finicky about distance and aim. Roku also has remote app which works wonderfully (again 2 rokus, and the app is on 2 smartphones.) The wife and I can readily take control over either roku at anytime.

And as previously mentioned, I use my parents uverse account to access TWC, ESPN, etc.

I have 7.5Mbps dsl, and can stream a show on each roku in HD simultaneously

Last edited by nharkey85; 06-26-2014 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:46 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

SO far the Roku is leading the pack. I am just trying to wade thru what model does what since we have 4 tv's with one of them in the family room and its the best of the bunch. Rest are 720 flat screens.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:34 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Just a thought, Xbox will now let you use all the apps without a live account. I use a media server on my main desktop that lets me watch any of the movies or TV shows I have stored on the HD. Plus Xbox does hulu, amazon, netflix, plus free services like crackle. It also plays dvd's, and games.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:04 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
SO far the Roku is leading the pack. I am just trying to wade thru what model does what since we have 4 tv's with one of them in the family room and its the best of the bunch. Rest are 720 flat screens.
if it makes a difference... Netflix on roku 3 allows the different viewer profiles where the 2 does not. so different family members can have their own watch-lists, and kids can be limited.

roku 3 is HDMI output only, but is ethernet and wifi ready. roku 2 has an a/v (3.5mm pin) and HDMI output, but is wifi only. It comes with the 3.5mm-to-RCA cable.

Roku 3 will also autoplay the next episode of tv series, then after so many it will stop to confirm you are still watching (like pandora). Roku 2 will pull up the next episode but you have to select play manually.

the UI is different between the them as well. i like the appearance of the 3's UI better, but with the hours i work I never get to watch tv on it.

and back to the channels and material available. roku has all the subscribed channels (netflix, hulu, amazon, vudu) also has crackle, popcorn flix, youtube, facebook pics and vids, pandora, iheartradio, several disney channels and PBS, twonky beam, etc. through the app on a device you also have "play on roku", allowing me to stream music on my phone to the roku to be played over the tv sound system

If i add another tv in the house i will get another roku 3 hands down. we moved to this house 1 year ago next week, and got both rokus within the first month.

Last edited by nharkey85; 06-26-2014 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:16 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
Just a thought, Xbox will now let you use all the apps without a live account. I use a media server on my main desktop that lets me watch any of the movies or TV shows I have stored on the HD. Plus Xbox does hulu, amazon, netflix, plus free services like crackle. It also plays dvd's, and games.

very viable cost effective option if he's got an xbox or two already.

also just checked roku website, the 2 now includes the RF remote with built in headphones, the 3 adds the ethernet port, usb port and microSD slot

would also check out the roku streaming stick
Old 06-26-2014, 08:18 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
if it makes a difference... Netflix on roku 3 allows the different viewer profiles where the 2 does not. so different family members can have their own watch-lists, and kids can be limited.

roku 3 is HDMI output only, but is ethernet and wifi ready. roku 2 has an a/v (3.5mm pin) and HDMI output, but is wifi only. It comes with the 3.5mm-to-RCA cable.

Roku 3 will also autoplay the next episode of tv series, then after so many it will stop to confirm you are still watching (like pandora). Roku 2 will pull up the next episode but you have to select play manually.

the UI is different between the them as well. i like the appearance of the 3's UI better, but with the hours i work I never get to watch tv on it.

and back to the channels and material available. roku has all the subscribed channels (netflix, hulu, amazon, vudu) also has crackle, popcorn flix, youtube, facebook pics and vids, pandora, iheartradio, several disney channels and PBS, twonky beam, etc. through the app on a device you also have "play on roku", allowing me to stream music on my phone to the roku to be played over the tv sound system

If i add another tv in the house i will get another roku 3 hands down. we moved to this house 1 year ago next week, and got both rokus within the first month.
Thanks for the info. We were trying to wade thru the options of all the units and you made a few things clear
Old 06-26-2014, 08:30 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I cut the cord almost two years ago myself. As long as you're prepared to change the way you approach TV viewing, you'll be fine. I started with a WDTV live and it was great. But I recently upgraded to a Roku3 and I love it. I use the Google cast extension in Chrome to stream content that doesn't usually support viewing on TV connected devices (something you'll run into often on Hulu in particular). The only downfall of the Roku is it's ability to play local files. I have an external HD that I had bought to use with the WDTV to stream my local digital movie library, and it worked great. But the Roku doesn't really work well for this. If this is something you'd want to do, then download Plex media server for your PC, and use that to push the content to the Roku.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:21 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

For movie files I've found xbmc to be nice and Netflix for streaming on a wannabe htpc in my front room rack with a Logitech k700. The most refreshing part is the lack of commercials.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:49 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

I use the WDTV Live Hub (no longer available) and the WDTV Live. It's great. It has a bunch of services pre-installed on it, like Netflix, Hulu, Pandora etc. and you can also hook it up to an external USB drive for movies, pictures, music etc.

About $100 for the box, comes with a remote. You can't go wrong.
Wicked Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Streaming internet tv options - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IRON MAIDEN Live Streaming helhedded Chit Chat 13 09-23-2013 05:04 AM
Universal Dyno project with streaming data JohnRobHolmes Electronics 76 09-02-2013 08:00 PM
The Internet Mayhem Eng. Chit Chat 10 02-07-2013 09:33 PM
What is the Internet? constantmotion Chit Chat 1 01-31-2011 09:03 AM
Internet TV tom@vp Chit Chat 18 10-14-2009 01:45 PM