Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Do we have an "Awesome" thread yet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2019, 04:37 PM   #501
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Do we have an "Awesome" thread yet?

Got to see this monster over the weekend

Then here's a picture I shot on Friday night from the platform of the local Metra station just to the north of the lot the event was held in.

I didn't intend to capture any plumber's cleavage though
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2019, 05:00 PM   #502
I wanna be Dave

I've seen Big Boys before, so it wasn't a big deal that I didn't get out there. What I did want to see though is it running on the way in from Wisconsin, but I was working Friday when it came into town
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 05:54 PM   #503
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
I've seen Big Boys before, so it wasn't a big deal that I didn't get out there. What I did want to see though is it running on the way in from Wisconsin, but I was working Friday when it came into town

If you get the chance, it leaves for DesMoines then Boone, IA (where I spent my first 3 years) Tuesday morning

I will say this, the U.P. knew what the hell they were doing with these events as it seemed to work very smoothly on their property and even though West Chicago officials severely underestimated the number of people coming here to see it and not having the infrastructure to handle THIS much traffic, things worked amazing well from what I saw as I was expecting a major cluster f*** of traffic. Dad talked with a cop yesterday that threw out a headcount of 10k at 10:30am, not sure if that was the expected attendance for the day, or roughly what he saw from the time it was ok to enter those grounds to when he talked to Dad, but they were expecting something similar today and it was tough to get those pictures in the time I was there. One thing to keep in mind too, West Chicaco still had a population of just under 30k, so that 10k estimate is about 1/3 of the town's whole population and that wasn't all of us there either
Old 07-28-2019, 07:31 PM   #504
I wanna be Dave

UP's YT channel for the restoration of this beast was one that I watched religiously. I would have loved to have seen this in person. All of the vids that have audio of the whistle blowing, the sound sends chills down my spine and I'm not even that much of a steam fan.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:55 PM   #505
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
UP's YT channel for the restoration of this beast was one that I watched religiously. I would have loved to have seen this in person. All of the vids that have audio of the whistle blowing, the sound sends chills down my spine and I'm not even that much of a steam fan.

I'm not going to lie, even being the son of a railroader and spending some time at that facility when Dad taught there in the 80's before that road was bought by the U.P. and having spent time in LHS' and seen these in H.O. scale next to other scale locomotives just doesn't prepare you for how huge this engine and it's tender are That last picture at night was my first indication on how huge that engine is, as that us one of the Nissan Titan based NV Highroof cargo vans used by ABC 7 Chicago and those aren't tiny either, for reference, here is one of those vans with the NBC 5 Econoline, just not sure if that is the same one.

Now I'm not joking when I say this, but it made that big news van look like one of those 80's forward control Japanese vans!

I just hope those pictures I took help capture the enormity of this engine, especially since I was holding my phone the same way that lady with the cornrows did during most of them, just while being taller.

Oh, before I forget. They blew it's whistle a few times and one of the longer blows let loose lots of steam and got a big cheer out of this crowd as well!

Last edited by BJoe; 07-28-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:38 PM   #506
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
If you get the chance, it leaves for DesMoines then Boone, IA (where I spent my first 3 years) Tuesday morning

I will say this, the U.P. knew what the hell they were doing with these events as it seemed to work very smoothly on their property and even though West Chicago officials severely underestimated the number of people coming here to see it and not having the infrastructure to handle THIS much traffic, things worked amazing well from what I saw as I was expecting a major cluster f*** of traffic. Dad talked with a cop yesterday that threw out a headcount of 10k at 10:30am, not sure if that was the expected attendance for the day, or roughly what he saw from the time it was ok to enter those grounds to when he talked to Dad, but they were expecting something similar today and it was tough to get those pictures in the time I was there. One thing to keep in mind too, West Chicaco still had a population of just under 30k, so that 10k estimate is about 1/3 of the town's whole population and that wasn't all of us there either
I was going to head down there first thing Sunday morning, just to check it out, even from the bridge, but I got called into work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
I've also been watching this from the time they purchased it from Pamona in 2012, the move to the steam shop in Wyoming, all the updates along the way, the restoration completion in May & trials, the run to Promontory, Utah for the 150th Anniversary Golden Spike Celebration, and now the run across the Midwest.

Quote:
I'm not going to lie, even being the son of a railroader and spending some time at that facility when Dad taught there in the 80's before that road was bought by the U.P. and having spent time in LHS' and seen these in H.O. scale next to other scale locomotives just doesn't prepare you for how huge this engine and it's tender are That last picture at night was my first indication on how huge that engine is, as that us one of the Nissan Titan based NV Highroof cargo vans used by ABC 7 Chicago and those aren't tiny either, for reference, here is one of those vans with the NBC 5 Econoline, just not sure if that is the same one.

Now I'm not joking when I say this, but it made that big news van look like one of those 80's forward control Japanese vans!

I just hope those pictures I took help capture the enormity of this engine, especially since I was holding my phone the same way that lady with the cornrows did during most of them, just while being taller.

Oh, before I forget. They blew it's whistle a few times and one of the longer blows let loose lots of steam and got a big cheer out of this crowd as well!

Thanks for being there to get what pics you could
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:49 PM   #507
I wanna be Dave

Dad has been there part of the day for the past few days trying to get decent pics of it and I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to make it over to see the thing pulling out of town tomorrow too! I drove past the Police Station and Training Center on my way to the office this morning just before 8am and there were already people milling about and I may have to try a whole different route to work tomorrow since I normally cross that bridge in the second from last daytime pic when going in and it may not be as empty in the morning.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:55 AM   #508
Rock Crawler

dude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:27 PM   #509
Quarry Creeper

I was with my daughter leaving Denver on Friday, 26-July-2019 headed west on I-70 and saw three of these being transported

We drove right by them going up the mountain - it was so awesome - they are beautiful in real life - different configurations but basically the same platform

Axial Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:58 AM   #510
Quarry Creeper

Full send!!

View post on imgur.com
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:37 AM   #511
I wanna be Dave

WRC is the t*ts...

I can't get into any other motorsport...

Someday I have GOT to get down to Mexico and watch one!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:12 PM   #512
Rock Crawler

It is indeed a man motorsport.

Spectators on the other hand, pretty often suicidal idiots i will be watching my Rally from behind a fat ass tree.
Not on the outside of a turn with the tips of my shoes 1 foot from the cars passing by.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:59 PM   #513
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I've seen the one on static display in Cheyenne, WY. Standing next to it, you still can't believe how huge these machines are. Same for the C&O 2-6-6-6 Allegheny class steam engine at the B&O museum.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:25 AM   #514

This looks so freaking fun!

JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:01 PM   #515
Rock Crawler

Today the worlds most powerful E - ferry had its maiden voyage, and again little Denmark blaze the trail.
This in a time where some countries leaders speak of "green coal", a concept familiar to us Danes for decades, and a concept we are working on leaving as it are unsustainable.

The ferry have 2 X 1000 BHP for main propulsion but also have 2 bow thrusters.
It is 60 M long and 12.8 M wide and tip the scale at 747 tonnes, where the 4.3 MWH battery make up 56 tons.
The max range on a charge are just 22 Nautical miles, not much but its route are just 11 Nautical miles long.
The operating speed will be 13 knots but it can do 15 if you floor it.
It will take 31 cars or 4 trucks / buses of 18.5 M + 4 cars, and up to 146 passengers ( 2 handicapped )
Crew will be 3-4.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:57 AM   #516

These are both awesome and I don't know which one I want more. The first is a local-ish log cabin and the other is a bad ass F16 jet. The jet is "so much" cheaper.

Log Cabin - $8,950,000

https://www.trulia.com/p/pa/nazareth...64--2016218681

F16 - $8,500,500

https://www.controller.com/listings/...0-lockheed-f16

JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:45 PM   #517
I wanna be Dave

Maintenance on either will be pricey. That’s a tough decision to make. Both could be money making ventures as well. One slightly more on the illicit side of the law....
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:46 PM   #518
Rock Crawler

Do love the look of log "cabins" but i would never build / live in one.
But that right there look mighty fine.

PS. the ferry it pack a nice charger, get your batteries charged at 600 A
Old 08-16-2019, 04:42 PM   #519
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Maintenance on either will be pricey. That’s a tough decision to make. Both could be money making ventures as well. One slightly more on the illicit side of the law....
Yep, hell the jet might be the better bet long term maintenance wise as it gets no wear and tear sitting in a hangar when it's not being flown.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:08 AM   #520
RCC Addict

You can't own the jet as an individual, only those with specific government clearance and contracts. These are not demilitarized planes, but ones used for combat simulations and training by government contractors. The models on sale are originally ones sold to Jordan. Plus they cost around 25,500 per hour to fly per the Pentagon.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote

Do we have an "Awesome" thread yet? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gYr-dbPEOnE" frameborde boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 10-01-2013 09:39 AM
BADDMANS C1 called 50Cal """XR10 up grade""" baddman 1.9 Scale Rigs 21 08-27-2012 11:56 PM