Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Facepalm facebook fail finds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2016, 05:35 PM   #1821
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Facepalm facebook fail finds

To me it's obvious that almost everyone in this thread discussing that rules, cheater trucks and growth of the hobby have very similar concepts of what they think is fair.

To me it's the "spirit of scale" part that is very obvious to spot but harder to make into a rule which causes the most issues.

For example, a truck with a Toyzuki chassis with all of the fixings but has a nice body on it, interior and some other scale touches shows up. Hey no worries, it looks like a truck. Word go have fun.

Same comp, a guy shows up with the clear wheeled pink "SUV" which absolutely doesn't look scale. He can run with the class 3 guys, but at the end of the pack and not for points. He can run for fun, but that's it.

In my opinion, if ya can't take a picture of the rig and have someone think it might be a 1:1... it's probably not a scaler.

What to build for performance? not a problem, but it's gotta look the part too. The whole point of scalers is to have it look like a 1:1. That's what the core of it is. If it was only performance based, it would still be comp crawling.

If people build a cheater truck, they know they are building a cheater truck. If winning is more important than having a good time with other people driving tiny trucks, you're an asshole. So the comp will most likely be better without them there. So, win win.

I'm not saying that it's all about looks, but there has to be a balance, and their must be attention and effort given to aesthetics by definition... a scaler should resemble a real vehicle.
BadWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2016, 07:03 PM   #1822
I wanna be Dave

I haven't been active in any scale events, or any club events for that matter, in over 3 years. The things that have Mike upset right now are some of the same kinds of things that caused so many disagreements for rules interpretations within the club I used to belong to. The club basically disappeared when we tried to focus more on scale events instead of crawlers, and there were people running TVP chassis with a lexan truck body and "small" 2.2s , arguing that they were "scale". It stopped being fun for the guys that were more focused on building a hard body, detailed rig that didn't want to destroy the bodies trying to drive them on a comp course. I stopped attending, as did many people and just focused on my 1/6th scale jeep and a little CC01 Jero that I just had fun driving.

I still come on here, and browse around, mainly stopping in the large scale section. The few builders left on this site also have their threads on scale4x4 and the scale builder guild. I always hope that a new kid, or grown up ( like most of us) might see their well documented build threads and want to learn how to build something for themselves, if for no other reason then the pride that you feel when you know you made it instead of buying it.

I imagine that the rules committee have a hard time trying to strike balances for the rules that will keep veteran builders entertained but also make the scale side of the hobby appealing to new folks. As I looked at the newest rule changes,I fail to see how any of the changes are good.

No WWF drivers? While I never cared for them myself, I always had to use one to drive my Tamiya 'yota cabbed creations because THERE IS NOTHING ELSE TO USE FOR A DRIVER THAT FITS INSIDE OF THE CAB !

Brushed motors only. Why? it's a stupid rule. If someone wants to squeeze a sensored speed control into their rig and spin the tires fast enough to launch a scale boulder half way to Mars, what's the issue?

C-channel steel frames only. I know that things have progressed, but remember the K series frames that we all started with before the SCX-10 came along? What about the scale chassis from rc3wd that's used under the FJ and TF2? Pretty damn realistic looking, but not a steel c channel. I guess those guys don't get to play at a scale event? F'n stupid rule. If "someone" only wants scx-10 based chassis to run, call it out in a spec class. Better yet, just make a damn spec class, with clear, cut rules of what can and can't be used. Suddenly you have a "drivers" class, equipment is taken out of the equation because everyone's rigs are technically identical. Just call the class what it is- the axial class.

Torque limits on servos? Makes no sense. If someone has their "scale" 37" + tire wedged into a rock and they need to steer, 200 oz isn't going to do it.

These are just my opinions, I'm entitled to them. I don't pass them off as right or wrong, just a point of view from someone that has been playing with these RC trucks for a long time and has been a proponent of true "scale".

Last edited by BigSki; 10-30-2016 at 03:16 PM.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:05 PM   #1823
I wanna be Dave

BigSki you should read all replies before making one yourself.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:16 PM   #1824
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
BigSki you should read all replies before making one yourself.

Guilty as charged. My keen sense of comprehension has failed me again.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:28 PM   #1825
I wanna be Dave

At least you're willing to own it
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:40 PM   #1826
I wanna be Dave

All this scale building talk has got me wanting to build one. I started looking at hardbodies yesterday and tires shorter than 100mm.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:29 AM   #1827
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadWagon View Post
To me it's obvious that almost everyone in this thread discussing that rules, cheater trucks and growth of the hobby have very similar concepts of what they think is fair.

To me it's the "spirit of scale" part that is very obvious to spot but harder to make into a rule which causes the most issues.

For example, a truck with a Toyzuki chassis with all of the fixings but has a nice body on it, interior and some other scale touches shows up. Hey no worries, it looks like a truck. Word go have fun.

Same comp, a guy shows up with the clear wheeled pink "SUV" which absolutely doesn't look scale. He can run with the class 3 guys, but at the end of the pack and not for points. He can run for fun, but that's it.

In my opinion, if ya can't take a picture of the rig and have someone think it might be a 1:1... it's probably not a scaler.

What to build for performance? not a problem, but it's gotta look the part too. The whole point of scalers is to have it look like a 1:1. That's what the core of it is. If it was only performance based, it would still be comp crawling.

If people build a cheater truck, they know they are building a cheater truck. If winning is more important than having a good time with other people driving tiny trucks, you're an asshole. So the comp will most likely be better without them there. So, win win.

I'm not saying that it's all about looks, but there has to be a balance, and their must be attention and effort given to aesthetics by definition... a scaler should resemble a real vehicle.

^This...
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:17 AM   #1828

i wonder how many of the people you see questioning EVERYTHING in the rules are millennials... not talking shit but honestly wonder. i had to mentor millennials at my old job (big time ad agency) and some were fine, most were complete pains in the asses who no matter how much you tried to tell them and coach them on things they would seemingly just entrench themselves deeper into their selfish 'i dont wanna do it that way' attitude.

“Millennials question everything,” Mulligan said. “They want to understand why they have to do certain things a certain way. A manager can’t just say, ‘Because that’s how we do it.’ You need to explain why the processes and policies have been created as they are, and be open to millennials asking if something can be done in a different way if it achieves the same objective.”

badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:00 AM   #1829
I wanna be Dave

Millennials questioning everything that they don't agree with in hopes to boil everything down until there are participation prizes for everyone? No way, that simply cannot be.

You may be onto something in the grander scheme.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:38 PM   #1830
I wanna be Dave

Default Facepalm facebook fail finds

It's the same in my industry, too. I literally hate them and their questions. I had one they told me to train up as a roughneck. He asked a 1000 questions in 10 minutes. So I finally got a 5 gallon bucket, told him to take his gloves off, sit right there all day, and don't touch a ****ing thing. Shut your cock hole, pay attention, and take notes. I want you to literally take notes. I will quiz you 30 minutes before we knock off and you better have some right answers. I will answer only 10 questions you have, so make them count. You can eat between 11:00-11:25. The same thing will happen every day until you can not ask 1000s of questions before I finish a cup of coffee.

I hated that MFer.

Last edited by Brake Weight; 10-30-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:46 PM   #1831
Oppan Gangnam Style

Agreed on the millennial comments. I was the shop foreman at my last job, there were two lube techs that thought they were too good to change oil. I told them thats what they were hired to do and if they didnt like it, they could clean up the shop. One shut his mouth, the other complained to management that I was being too hard on him. Bring on the zombie apocalypse, they can ask the zombies "why".

Last edited by chino63; 10-30-2016 at 06:50 PM.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:43 PM   #1832
RCC Addict

So do we need millennials to continue to grow the hobby or are they ruining it?
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:50 PM   #1833
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
So do we need millennials to continue to grow the hobby or are they ruining it?
I can say without a doubt that the only viable answer to your question is a resounding yes.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:11 PM   #1834
Pebble Pounder

My biggest bi*** about the whole millennial age group is the "I'm entitled to everything" what happened to working for what you want and if you can't handle that then the job isn't for you. Go back to your mommy's and suck some more tit...
chevy4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:42 PM   #1835
I wanna be Dave

Curious as to where this whole stereotype of millennials come from. Sure there is some super spoiled but non of my friends are like that. Maybe I just pick good friends. total blame can't be put on the generation how about who raised them?
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:54 PM   #1836
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
total blame can't be put on the generation how about who raised them?

Fact. Since the the 60's everyone has not only wanted their kids to have it better than they did but they had the opportunity and ability to actually do so. That made them soft and coupled with not wanting little jr's feelings getting hurt by losing invented the participation trophy. So yes, the parents are directly to blame.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:58 PM   #1837
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Fact. Since the the 60's everyone has not only wanted their kids to have it better than they did but they had the opportunity and ability to actually do so. That made them soft and coupled with not wanting little jr's feelings getting hurt by losing invented the participation trophy. So yes, the parents are directly to blame.
Makes sense. I was sorta raised like that being my dad passed when I was very young but I don't have that attitude.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:17 AM   #1838
RCC Addict

I absolutely hate being classified as a millennial... I don't fit that mold at all.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:03 AM   #1839
Rock Crawler

My oldest is a millennial, and we made sure to reject the participation trophy bullshit. He, and all of our boys must earn what they want. No handouts, no participation awards just for showing up. It's difficult sometimes, but parenting isn't supposed to be easy. The way we see it, our responsibilities as a parent are to raise men who when they are 18 are self sufficient, contributing members of society. They can wash dishes, do laundry, make meals, clean do work and make decisions (not spit back answers, know how to make a decision). Being a friend or buddy comes later.
BadWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:50 AM   #1840

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
Curious as to where this whole stereotype of millennials come from. Sure there is some super spoiled but non of my friends are like that. Maybe I just pick good friends. total blame can't be put on the generation how about who raised them?
absolutely.

i had to deal with kids fresh out of design school. so not only are they millenials and grew up sheltered by helicopter parents and school system that isnt at all like when us old guys went to school, they were also artsy fartsy special little flowers who their whole life had been pampered and complimented over being artists.

not everybody i dealt with was a stereotypical millennial, but i'd say 3/4 of them were. i would tell a jr designer (who was having troubles) to use a certain image and treat the type a certain way, etc. and they would say shit like 'no that will look horrible', or 'i never put vertical type on my work'... bitch you are in advertising and im your creative director... so they would do it, and do it so half assed to intentionally make it look bad, and i would sit behind them and tell them what to do, make them do it... with them being all huffy and puffy the entire time.

also shit like 'i cant stay late today i have plans'... bitch you are in advertising and you dont make plans when you KNOW were working late all week trying to get some presentation done for the client. theres just no sense of having to pay your dues or prove yourself to a new boss, in their mind they are already accomplished and shouldnt have to work hard to impress anybody. they see you as the old dick in the way and you are just set out to make their lives miserable.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote

Facepalm facebook fail finds - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Post your Battery Finds Here!! morg59jeep Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 318 02-16-2022 04:28 PM
Thrift store finds MikeChino Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 10 01-02-2014 12:41 AM
eBay finds..the good ROLANDROCKSHOP Chit Chat 1 07-11-2012 11:57 AM