Notices

Thread: Good Ol' Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2015, 03:57 PM   #201
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Good Ol' Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANOVRU View Post
Yeah those pesky Canadian immigrants are a nuisance.
Try being a Canadian living in the current recession due to oil prices the worst we've seen here in Alberta people homeless no jobs foreclosures increasing poverty. Then the brand new Prime minister announces he's bringing a crap load of syrian refugees in and giving them food housing and any assistance they need to set an example to the rest of the world while people who are actual citizens and residents get the shaft wtf btw if you didnt know unlike your political system in the us we dont technically choose our leader.
scalemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2015, 04:00 PM   #202
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobCrawler View Post
I agree with this for the most part.from an outsiders perspective, it all comes down to willpower. I like using Richard Sherman to prove this point. Grew up in Compton, saw the way of life there & wanted better(which is also where the parents come into play). And he did it in a huge way. Stanford & the NFL. All because of willpower, determination, & not liking what he saw when he looked out the mirror. I know that's an isolated case & I'm sure there are those in Chicago, other cities as well, that have those. They have to want it though. Complancecy is a helluva thing...
I'm that story... except for the exceptional athlete part.

But the stars don't align for everyone and many really want it and don't make it. We made it, let's help those who want it.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 04:07 PM   #203
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
Out of highschool, I worked in 3 factories... the first two starting at min/wage and the 3rd a bit more. Most of the workers were mid 20's - 30's and had family's, some were old men, and a lot of single mothers.

They all started at min/wage and if they worked their asses off and were patient (years), they'd eventually make a few more dollars than min/wage... and then still live on the edge of poverty.

A livable minimum wage does a lot of good for the majority of the country, not just fast food workers.
You're not supposed to make a living off of minimum wage. Minimum wage these days is for kids working in high school to get a foot into the door of adulthood. When I see people in their 20's on up working at minimum wage jobs I do not pity them or try to understand their plight. I see a loser not worth more than what they're getting.

5 years ago or so I was in a grocery store checking out. The card reader gave me the options to choose if my card was debit, credit or ebt card. I chuckled and said "Nope, no ebt card, I work for my food money." as I swiped my debit card. The 30 something checker glared at me and said. "I have 3 kids and a wife to support, I'm on ebt!" I looked at him and said, "Maybe you should have thought about planning things a bit differently eh?" He just glared at me and I walked out.

Planning is important. I make decent money but I don't think I make enough to support children out of pocket so we have dogs instead. It would be real easy to have a litter of crotch fruit running around being fed off the tax payer dime while getting better health care than I do now for free but I ain't like that.

Oh yea, the checker was a pasty white dude with red hair and a red beard. Even crackers are dumb since dumb isn't race dependant.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 04:09 PM   #204
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalemadness View Post
if you didnt know unlike your political system in the us we dont technically choose our leader.
haha, neither do we... technically.

Do you think that your fellow citizens are just being lazy and should work harder... then they wouldn't be homeless?
Old 11-15-2015, 04:10 PM   #205
Quarry Creeper

What is minimum wage in the us?
Old 11-15-2015, 04:33 PM   #206
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
It varies:
"Four states still maintain minimum wage levels below the federal minimum of $7.25 an hour: Arkansas, Georgia, Minnesota and Wyoming. Five other states have not adopted a state minimum: Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina and Tennessee. And one — New Hampshire — repealed the minimum wage law in 2011 but kept a reference to the federal minimum wage."
Source: http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...wages/8870565/

And what a coincidence... the most impoverished state's in the nation are on that list.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:34 PM   #207
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
My state is $9.75 an hour.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 04:39 PM   #208
Quarry Creeper

Wow ok not sure about other provinces but here minimum wage is almost $12 an hour supposedly $15 an hour by summer 2016 lol nope new budget now says 2018

Last edited by scalemadness; 11-15-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:44 PM   #209
Quarry Creeper

But at the same time we don't pay for healthcare here and most jobs have benefits to cover prescription drugs,ambulance and things similar
Old 11-15-2015, 04:48 PM   #210
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Wow ok not sure about other provinces but here minimum wage is almost $12 an hour supposedly $15 an hour by summer 2016

hmm, so at today's exchange rate that's about $9/hr and will soon be $11.25/hr... how's the cost of living?

So the US is $7.25 which is $15k/yr if you get 40 hour weeks every week for a year.
What's a minimum Canadian salary that you could live on, a comfortable salary, and a living high on the hog salary... average/estimate?

Depending on where you live... here, probably a middle ground like Chicago you need $30k-$35k/$50k-$60k/$90k+... roughly... guessing.

Last edited by johnnyh66; 11-15-2015 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:50 PM   #211
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
But at the same time we don't pay for healthcare here and most jobs have benefits to cover prescription drugs,ambulance and things similar
I'm sure you know, much of our country is fighting like hell to make sure we do not get healthcare and most jobs at that level purposefully work their employee's 38 hours a week (IIRC) so they don't have to provide any benefits.

Last edited by johnnyh66; 11-15-2015 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:54 PM   #212
Scale Detail Engineering

I just do not understand the "my life sucked so your's should too" mentality much of the US has.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:04 PM   #213
Quarry Creeper

Ok well my wage is $32hr was 60 to 70 hours a week before oil crashed and at that wage we are considered to be a middle class family the wife works part time which helps but rent has gone from $675 for a half decent 3 bedroom apt to $1400 in 3.5 years the average house built in the 70s that needs some work goes for 220,000 gasoline is $1.32 per litre right now was $1.91 litre 2 months ago the price of food has doubled so there are alot of people around here living in holiday trailers.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:16 PM   #214
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
I just do not understand the "my life sucked so your's should too" mentality much of the US has.

It has nothing to do with that. Most have at some point or another worked a MW job, but it's not supposed to be a career. Was never meant to be.

And you make it seem as if some people just don't have any choice. That's factually not true, period.

So you can keep making excuses for people who have made poor life decisions or are expecting a handout but I simply will not. I'm not the one keeping anyone else down.
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:33 PM   #215
Quarry Creeper

Ok well would you hire the guy dealt a crappy hand trying to get back on his feet? Thats the problem you don't have a home a car so your not getting hired your looked at as a problem but everyone else who sees a person that way is the problem no one can say that person isn't trying or willing to try its almost impossible because that I'm better than you person keeps kicking them back down because they don't think they are good enough or its their choice to be in that position which is not always true if you think about it would you want some kind of assistance if you were in their place put your pride aside everyone needs a hand at some time in life
Old 11-15-2015, 05:46 PM   #216
RCC Addict

This threads went to crap.
CrawlinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:51 PM   #217
Scale Detail Engineering

lol
Old 11-15-2015, 05:55 PM   #218
RCC Addict

Anyone know a good biscuit recipe?
CrawlinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:56 PM   #219
Scale Detail Engineering

Breaking news:
French jets bomb Syria in the ISIS stronghold of Raqqa - CNN.com

(CNN)French fighter jets bombed a series of ISIS sites in Raqqa, Syria, on Sunday in what officials described as a major bombardment.

The airstrikes came two days after a series of terrorist attacks in Paris. ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attacks, which France's President described as "an act of war."

ISIS claims Raqqa as the capital of its so-called caliphate. The targets in Sunday's airstrikes included a command center, a recruitment center, an ammunition storage base and a training camp for the terror group, said Mickael Soria, press adviser for France's defense minister.

Last edited by johnnyh66; 11-15-2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:14 PM   #220
Quarry Creeper

Good for them.

I wasn't aware the French even had fighter jets.
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote

Good Ol' Discussion - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good Ol' Time! St33v3 Videos! 0 03-16-2012 02:17 AM
My Mad force and the good Ol' USA-1 Paul4x4 Kyosho Crawlers 12 06-11-2011 06:00 AM
MY ol' 56 Goose19 2.2 Scale Rigs 9 08-13-2009 10:07 PM
Had to say good bye to an ol' buddy lastnight.. mudhunter Chit Chat 11 04-24-2007 07:46 PM