Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Speed limits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2017, 02:19 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Speed limits

Speeding should be legal. Speed limits are an infringement on keeping the idiots from culling themselves from the herd.

We go about laws in the wrong way all too often in my opinion. Instead of little slaps on the wrist repeatedly we need capitol punishment. Running 100+ in the rain and kill someone? No problem, you die too. It is obvious to me that fines and small jail terms don't straighten anyone out but they do provide revenue streams to supporters of those in political offices. I'm certainly no tinfoil hat wearing schmuk, I just see the facts that are easy to find.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2017, 02:29 PM   #22
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Speeding should be legal.

Instead of little slaps on the wrist repeatedly we need capitol punishment.
Sooooo....are you for or against speeding?
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:56 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

When I drive I'm out for MPG's not MPH's.

Therefore I like this neat little thing called cruise control. What pisses me off the most about driving on freeway's is the inconsistent speeds people keep.
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:38 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Sooooo....are you for or against speeding?
I speed everywhere but in residential areas.average 6 mph over as a rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANOVRU View Post

Therefore I like this neat little thing called cruise control. What pisses me off the most about driving on freeway's is the inconsistent speeds people keep.

I don't give a damn about mileage unless talking about doing more miles in less time.

2800-3400 miles a week most of the year. 98% of them hauling ass.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:03 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

Quote:

I'm with you. The inconsistent speed drives me nuts.
not-required is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:13 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

I don't give a damn about mileage unless talking about doing more miles in less time.

2800-3400 miles a week most of the year. 98% of them hauling ass.

If you were paying for the gas to fill those two 100 gallon tanks on a rig getting 5mpg you might sing a different tune.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:39 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
If you were paying for the gas to fill those two 100 gallon tanks on a rig getting 5mpg you might sing a different tune.
Twin 150 gallon tanks averaging 5.62 mpg doing 55 or 70. Once you're above 90k lbs the speed doesn't matter much to the mileage.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:44 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Once you're above 90k lbs the speed doesn't matter much to the mileage.

Talk about "fake news".

No worries though, I wouldn't care either if I wasn't paying for fuel and was being paid to make destinations in a hurry.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:55 PM   #29
~THE SCALE SHOP~

move to texas. we get shit done
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:56 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Talk about "fake news".

No worries though, I wouldn't care either if I wasn't paying for fuel and was being paid to make destinations in a hurry.
I average just over 95k lbs and while I am in the desert that don't mean it's flat. Flat land sure, mileage will go up with light throttle but here your foot is on the floor more often than not. Big diesels are a much different world than passenger cars. Throw a car at s hill and it slows down quickly. Throw 100k at a hill and inertia will get you over it quicker so there is less time spent at full throttle.

Would it totally blow your mind if I told you I get better mileage going fast than similar trucks in our fleet governed at 62?
Old 04-11-2017, 07:05 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
move to texas. we get shit done
Pffft, Montana (sucks for truckers but...):

KJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:14 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I average just over 95k lbs and while I am in the desert that don't mean it's flat. Flat land sure, mileage will go up with light throttle but here your foot is on the floor more often than not. Big diesels are a much different world than passenger cars. Throw a car at s hill and it slows down quickly. Throw 100k at a hill and inertia will get you over it quicker so there is less time spent at full throttle.

Would it totally blow your mind if I told you I get better mileage going fast than similar trucks in our fleet governed at 62?

So you're going to play the inertia card, ok I'll give that you'll gain some momentum going up a hill versus a 3k lb car.

But for all intensive purposes on relatively flat ground RPM's and MPH's determine MPG's, and more weight equals less MPG's.

Last edited by RANOVRU; 04-11-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:37 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
So you're going to play the inertia card, ok I'll give that you'll gain some momentum going up a hill versus a 3k lb car.

But for all intensive purposes on relatively flat ground RPM's and MPH's determine MPG's, and more weight equals less MPG's.
Some momentum? Rolling heavy 5mph at the bottom is 5mph at the top if not more depending on the hill.

But yes, for all intents and purposes (you've been saying it wrong your whole life haven't you?) Speed sucks more fuel on the flat lands. I don't live there or drive there so it doesn't make a lick of difference to me.

Last edited by WHITE-TRASH; 04-11-2017 at 11:44 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:43 PM   #34
MODERATOR™

Quote:
But yes, for all intents and purposes (you've been saying it wrong your whole life haven't you?)
He'll blame the phone.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:11 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

First time he's ever used it in a conversation, would be my assumption.
KJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:12 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
I talked to a state trooper one day at a rest stop, and asked him about the speeders going over the limit, and he told me they won't usually pull someone over for doing 90 in a 65 unless they are weaving. If all the cars/trucks are moving with the flow of traffic, no problem exists. If they are significantly going faster than the flow of traffic, then they'll go after them, or with the eye-in-the-sky, nail them at the offramp. He also mentioned that if a vehicle is going too slow, let's say 50 in a 65, they are more apt to pull them over, because they are not moving with the flow of traffic, and can actually be the cause of an accident.
LOL I'm fairly certain this is not a Texas DPS trooper you are talking about. Maybe from Canada? Texas trooper will pull you over for 70 in a 65 zone without apologies.
Habanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:22 PM   #37

I guess I'm one of those "they don't give a shit" and "entitled" cops here is a different perspective:

If I have someone driving 20-30mph above the speed limit (let's say 55mph speed limit). That places their speed at 75-85mph. The places that are 55mph are like two lane highways and some city streets (for examples). This means I must now drive FASTER than the people that I intend to catch (95+mph). Many factors come into play here:

Traffic congestion levels.
Type of road conditions, turns, hills, blind spots etc...
Amount of available units for other "real police work."
Will I have back-up in the area?

Some departments are barely staffed and numbers are dwindling all across the country. We get sued, lied about, cursed at, and will never be given the benefit of the doubt. Example:

One guy on here complained about a trooper speeding past him with no lights or sirens "like I was standing still...being entitled."

Another guy says cops don't ever do anything.

Well, which is it? Do you want the speeder to get caught or not? See, give us the benefit of the doubt on occasion. There is always another factor at play that you might not know... if that trooper used his lights and sirens to pass you then the guy he was after might dip off on an exit before the trooper can get caught up to him. I leave electricians, plumbers, doctors, etc alone when they do their job, because I don't understand all of the nuances of it.

I can't speak for every officer or every department but I have done this job longer than most. Speed limits and other "annoying" traffic laws are VERY important. This is also said by an officer that has never 'worked traffic' (been a traffic officer) a single day in his career. I respect the ones that do that part of the job, and so should you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Uncle Sir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:30 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Fact is most people don't fully mature until 40 years old.

Took me that long at least but its no excuse really - for even the younger set to realize - oh please - they know it- - that speeding leads you to getting there a whopping 2 minutes early!

So ridiculous to see people passing left and right, cutting me off only for me to pass them at the next toll booth, or traffic jam. Maybe because I have a red car? Guilty!

It's not worth the stress, the extra fuel usage and wear-n-tear on the car. Not by a long shot. Relax and sit back with some music (or what I do - free audiobooks from the library). Smoke a joint if you have to.
Habanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:11 PM   #39
MODERATOR™

Yep. But it might be around 30 something. I know when I hit 30, it was a different feeling. Coming up on 42 now is like, dang it

Especially working whilst all these 20 somethings are like, derp derp.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:30 PM   #40
Rock Stacker

Before reading this thread I thought some of these problems only existed in Australia! Glad to hear it happens everywhere.

At least you guys are having your speed limits increased in some cases. Over here there has been an ongoing push to reduce speed limits. Within city areas and some residential areas speed limits are down to 25mph. Some freeways here have been reduced from 65mph down to 60mph, with trucks, buses and heavy vehicles limited to 35mph on some sections on freeways.

So in these freeway areas in peak hour traffic you're travelling at 60mph on a three lane highway, in the middle lane, with someone sitting less than a car length behind you, when a truck ahead of you in the left lane doing 35mph decides to overtake an even slower truck.... so pulls straight out into the middle lane....

I've seen more accidents and near misses because of this and the recent changes to speed limits, than it was when cars and truck drove faster and at the same speed.
Rotare is offline   Reply With Quote

Speed limits - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
City street speed limits JandG Chit Chat 16 06-10-2014 01:01 PM
yet another reason Texas>* 85 mph speed limits STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 12 06-09-2012 08:27 AM
Travel Limits papasmurf Newbie General 4 05-23-2008 01:58 PM