Notices

Thread: "Like" Button

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2019, 12:21 PM   #261
Sinking with the ship

Default Re: "Like" Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by odomandr View Post
The reason people say rcc is dead is because of the home page. We don't visit it because it's had the same shit for over two years on it. If it had current vendor links, current topics, events etc I'd go to it and Everytime someone new searched for the site they wouldnt see stuff from 2017. If you don't want the homepage then axe it and redirect to the forum home. The homepage tells anyone who hasn't registered all they need to know about this site.....

Mike thanks for taking the reigns to make it better but let's improve features we have. As a site supporter it's hard to justify renewal when features are removed and improvements/updates are not implemented. Removing the like button was premature imo. At least put a notification at the top for thread responses or quoted posts. Removing the like button has made it more difficult to interact in threads because you are not notified any longer. That sucks

I agree about the homepage, 200% actually, unfortunately at the moment I am limited as to what I can do. I would love to be able to update that weekly or daily even, especially when new product drops. I hope I have the ability to do that sooner then later!

When I click to reply there is a "thread subscription" drop down box, do you not have that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
234 posts above mine discussing the damn "Like" button... Let's take this effort in posting here and move it towards other threads. Let's help people in other threads or just give feedback to build threads!

This ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybolt View Post
Scuse my ignorance, but did we lose the "notifications" also? are the like and notifications tied together?

Shouldn't have, make sure you click "thread subscription" drop down box

Quote:
Yep. Better remember what thread you posted in or go to your history to see follow up conversation. That's my issue this quote should notify you somehow ......

If its an issue with the thread subscription let me know and I'll get Badger on the handle.
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2019, 12:21 PM   #262
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Just the fact that the term mumble rap was mentioned will probably lead to more Google hits.
SOB I moused over to click the Like button on this one ........
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:40 PM   #263
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
SOB I moused over to click the Like button on this one ........
LOL, it's all good man. I've never depended on internet likes to validate my life as some think the like button does. Don't have Facebook or any of that stuff either. But for me the like button was just an easy way to give someone some feedback without having to type out another lame nice truck response. And a lot of times I'm just killing down time at work, possibly on mobile. But, that horse has long been beaten to death.

The forum is going a different direction and I get that. I haven't touched an RC in years anyway. I just come to chit chat to BS with the people here, some that I know personally. The core group here are some of the best people on the internet in my humble opinion.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:44 PM   #264
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
The core group here are some of the best people on the internet in my humble opinion.
Agree with that
Old 03-20-2019, 02:26 PM   #265
Quarry Creeper

Mike that means we have to subscribe to every thread we comment on. I get that not everyone uses a forum the same way but that can't be logical...id be subscribed to this thread then too.

Anyway. Good luck getting it going sooner than later
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:43 PM   #266
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Mike that means we have to subscribe to every thread we comment on. I get that not everyone uses a forum the same way but that can't be logical...id be subscribed to this thread then too.

I've never given likes so I haven't got a clue other than what I'm told about this. Are you saying that if you like a post you got notifications when others posted in it?
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:46 PM   #267
Sinking with the ship

Quote:

You have the ability to choose what you subscribe too, it’s not an automatic, or are you saying that if you posted something and someone like it you knew to check the thread ? Kinda like on Facebook ?
Old 03-20-2019, 03:00 PM   #268
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Yes - if you want to keep up with threads posted in or even follow lets say a build thread, you have to subscribe to it manually.

Theres also the Forum Spy tab up top if that could help you track threads you post in. It collects snippets of all the new posts since your last visit and you could browse down through that. Just an idea.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:10 PM   #269
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Theres also the Forum Spy tab up top if that could help you track threads you post in. It collects snippets of all the new posts since your last visit and you could browse down through that. Just an idea.
that doesn't work for me. says i cant access it.
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:24 PM   #270
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
I've never given likes so I haven't got a clue other than what I'm told about this. Are you saying that if you like a post you got notifications when others posted in it?
I'm saying that the quoting of your post, like above, would at least notify or alert you that someone had interacted with the post you made. I'm saying that I understand how to subscribe to threads I want to keep up with, but not every thread in my opinion is worthy or a subscription to it despite still warranting interaction like this one.... I'm saying that forum spy is only for paid members and the timer things blows on it and it still doesn't tell me after the fact that there was an interaction...what if I'm not sitting here waiting on it but tomorrow I'd like to know....that features is gone now too
Old 03-20-2019, 06:08 PM   #271
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
sofa king
Smooth.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:18 PM   #272
Rock Crawler

Quote:
No, never was that way for me.
vonclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:56 PM   #273
I wanna be Dave

All that discussion earlier on posting pics had me wondering to myself - "Why has no one mentioned buying a membership star?"

Cheaper than fotophuket...

And supports the site, too.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:06 PM   #274
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
All that discussion earlier on posting pics had me wondering to myself - "Why has no one mentioned buying a membership star?"

Photobucket is free but yea, a star isn't a terrible idea.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:51 PM   #275
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

That was my main motivation for the star. Hate Tapatalk and the star was the best way for me to support a site as a newb
Old 03-20-2019, 11:17 PM   #276
Quarry Creeper

My biggest takeaway from this is the jackie Chan frustrated emoji.

This doesn't even make sense, You guys want to make changes to bring the forum back to life a little, and you start with the "Like" button? the home page sucks, search sucks for a lot of people, the forum is inconsistent across different platforms, tech articles haven't been done in years even though this is a "tech" site, Giveaways aren't done anymore, There's little to no outreach to creators on the big platforms or effort to create accounts/channels to bring people in (FB, YouTube, Instagram, etc...)

There are so many ways that Admins/owners could have started making changes which would "add" first, before taking away something, Psych 101 guys.

Hell, people are bitching about how bad SBG's site sucks, but it's growing because of Matt's outreach on Social Media. Guess who's helping him? The guy that used to post tech here, Harley.

Honestly, I still think URC had the best mix: Video that referenced the site, the information archives (Ultimate Traxxas, Ultimate Tamiya), and a simple layout that didn't have dozens of subforums. Jang screwed that all up though by not allowing mods and trying to do it all himself, along with two other Youtube channels, then getting hacked and losing all the info.

Quote:
Just tell them I killed the "like" button and ignore any further whining pointed your way. It'll be fun, I promise.

YOU ASSHOLE!!!!

Quote:
Pirate4x4 has over 320k actual members. The bots aren't counted, if they were the member number would be over twice that. And guess what, no like button.

You keep repeating that I'm trying to get people to shut up about it and no matter how many times that line of bs is repeated it simply isn't true. I was laughing at the level of butthurt surrounding such a trivial feature and that's it.

Werd, let it ride for a bit and see what's what. While I don't use the like button myself I'm not offended by it so if its brought back I simply don't care.

PBB also relies on the emojis for a lot of replies, which are really about as relevant as the likes. It also has the same issues that RCC is having, just on a larger scale. less relevance, more dumb. Lance bailed at the right time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Editing and restoring the Durango IFS thread was the right thing to do.

However , the big challenge I see with what is happening here is this. Dude blows in from RCC past whining and complaining about what board has become. Like a politician building a platform, begins to talk up his personal RC exploits and how devoted he is to 'making RCC great again' (good grief). Begins to point out all of the issues that he is going to fix(but asks for patience). His first move is to grab the controls and take away a feature on the site he doesn't like, be damned what the current active body thinks of it. To him the 'stats' are more important than our personal experiences here. Again, we are told it is for the betterment of the site (classic) . Here is the biggest problem ; so far all we get is the loss of a feature. The improvements are all pie in the sky at this point.

A far wiser move would have been to create and add visible features to the site as well as bless us with the presence of these vendors (who I assume will be given an incentive and motivation to return. No one is stupid enough to think they will return without them. They are elsewhere for reasons well beyond what the power of the 'like' button carries).

By showing us the results of forward thinking that we can relate to, change is encouraging. Its gains confidence.

It is fine to preach patience, but it is a much more palatable speech if the head it comes from delivers such decorum. The quick removal of the 'like' button was not an act of patience. With patience, in time it could have been updated, modified or replaced with something completely different.

Agreed. Fixing the main page and search functions should have been first. Having a Mod come in and say (to paraphrase) "We're taking away a function that I don't like, and the owners will decide if it's permanent, but we're not telling you why" along with posting about "His" vision for the board, isn't the best way to make changes. It comes across as a power play for a new Mod. no matter how well it gets explained later, the first impression was bad.

Quote:

And That should be the big push for website, not taking features away that members could do without, but a vocal group enjoys.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:21 PM   #277
I wanna be Dave

A lot of cheese needs to be ordered for this thread.. Lol.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:58 AM   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Smooth.
I had to reach back to elementary school for that one!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:38 AM   #279
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by makya View Post
My biggest takeaway from this is the jackie Chan frustrated emoji.

This doesn't even make sense, You guys want to make changes to bring the forum back to life a little, and you start with the "Like" button? the home page sucks, search sucks for a lot of people, the forum is inconsistent across different platforms, tech articles haven't been done in years even though this is a "tech" site, Giveaways aren't done anymore, There's little to no outreach to creators on the big platforms or effort to create accounts/channels to bring people in (FB, YouTube, Instagram, etc...)

There are so many ways that Admins/owners could have started making changes which would "add" first, before taking away something, Psych 101 guys..

There are things that happen behind the scenes here that regular everyday members may or may not realize... With that said, despite "my" opinion on the Like button, the owners made the decision to axe it due to it effecting the business as whole. This place does cost money to keep going, and when a feature negatively effects that, its a problem...

I agree about the home page and everything else, this is all stuff I would love to be able to do but I'm not holding the reins. This is all stuff that I have discussed with the owners and things are still in the works.

Ive asked for patience before and I was accused of being a politician, I gave people info on my back ground and my love for this place and it was twisted... I am doing my best while not always receiving the most constructive feedback. Nothing is going to happen over night...

For the last few years people complained about a lack of administrative presence and now that there is one and a feature that was HURTING the forum (despite what you think or that you liked it) was removed everyone is bent.. Im sorry your upset the feature was removed but would you be happy to have RCC and no like button? or Nothing at all? Thats the only question you need to ask yourself. And yeah... its that drastic

Last edited by 1BadJeepBruiser; 03-21-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:04 AM   #280
Rock Crawler

I don't care one way or the other, but I'm not buying for one second that the Like button was hurting the forum.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

"Like" Button - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Airtronics M11 settings for "push-button" dig control John Hallman Electronics 8 09-21-2010 08:48 PM
"Hide Forum" button? microgoat Comments, Suggestions, and Help 11 04-05-2006 11:30 AM
project "search button",my TLT Chevy 72Blazer Tamiya TLT Crawlers 13 03-04-2006 06:57 PM