Notices

Thread: "Like" Button

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2019, 05:53 AM   #221
Sinking with the ship

Default Re: "Like" Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
Guess we’ll be seeing a lot more of this. (Not throwing shade at anyone quoted, victims of circumstance)

Next year it will be us Like-refugees wishing for the glory days.

Maybe? Maybe not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
I guess us Like-fugees are just going to have to create a web browser extension that puts the like button back

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Good morning Mike.

First of all, thanks for taking on the job of trying to give our great site a little boost.
But, as I stated in here earlier, I use the like button to judge attention to my builds and up grades. I think I probably post build threads as much or more than most on here and the like button gives me some insight to if what I do is being looked at. I design my threads to cater to the new guys on here and try to show how I get from point A to B and so most of the older guys find them a little boring IMO. So for me I think doing away with the button is a mistake. I guess you can just take my opinion for what is worth in making this decision. Thanks for listening!

Ernie

Good morning Ernie,
The decision for the like button comes from the tippy top, and its for good reasons that affect this business as whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Don't know why it took me so long to realize... it's not about the community b/c this does nothing to actually benefit the community. It will likely add posts and adding post counts looks good on paper... for the owners sake. Disabling this feature has likely increased posts now... not valuable content... just watering down and cluttering up threads. But if at the end of the day it means more posts, then it's a win for ownership. Next up I'm assuming will be infractions for simply posting 'like'. Oh well... it was a very motivational and beneficial tool while it lasted.

I haven't seen cluttered threads, but I guess we will see how it plays out over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tossedman View Post
Don't like.

noted

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the why part? As a forum owner, I would think the first order of business would be more members. With more members, you get more venders looking to sell and more money coming in. Rather than make changes that give users a "POLL" feature or something they take away one that clearly more of us like than dislike.

I just dont understand the business side of this decision at all.

I would have upgraded the forum to something current, and maybe clean up some of the threads. Micro threads are all over the place. The WPL threads should really be in a toy grade section or something IMO. So many other little changes that would make the forum easier to navigate.

If they are making changes to better the business side, I completely fail to see how this one feature has anything to do with generating more members. Rather its pissing the ones they have off.

Its like being on a run down playground at the park. Yet the city wants more people to go to that park and play there, so they take away the monkey bars.....lol

That said, I have no dog in this fight. I find myself posting here again for no reason other than there is nothing else going on.

I'm not a liberty to explain the matters in detail, but it was decided by the owners to go this route.

As time goes on and my admin powers are finalized, I do hope to work with Badger in cleaning things up and making changes that will positively effect RCC as whole
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2019, 07:03 AM   #222

Thanks for your efforts. Whether the masses view any specific decisions as right, wrong, or otherwise, having somebody involved who genuinely cares and is actively working to improve things will absolutely lead to a better forum.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:27 AM   #223
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the why part? As a forum owner, I would think the first order of business would be more members. With more members, you get more venders looking to sell and more money coming in. Rather than make changes that give users a "POLL" feature or something they take away one that clearly more of us like than dislike.

I just dont understand the business side of this decision at all.

Just having members doesnt generate income - anyone can hire a click farm and pad their site stats. Any forum owner knows this, its not about stats its about clicks, interaction and time spent on a page. Not how many pages you visit inside 3 minutes.

Quote:
I would have upgraded the forum to something current, and maybe clean up some of the threads. Micro threads are all over the place. The WPL threads should really be in a toy grade section or something IMO. So many other little changes that would make the forum easier to navigate.
Im not speaking for the owners but you know how much a New VBulletin site costs? Its ****in stupid money. This software is still supported heavily in many forms and its a license for life. You want a forum loaded with click bait and member fees or you want a mildly free one?

Quote:
If they are making changes to better the business side, I completely fail to see how this one feature has anything to do with generating more members. Rather its pissing the ones they have off.
Again its not about generating members ...... I believe you are missing that point. Its about Generating INTERACTION.

Quote:
Its like being on a run down playground at the park. Yet the city wants more people to go to that park and play there, so they take away the monkey bars.....lol
To me this solidifys what Mike is pushing for. A park with more benches for people to sit doesnt mean the park is getting used more. The Like button was those benches.

Your saying makes sense but when you flip it around the Like button was your moneky bars. Thousands and thousands of monkey bars with people hanging from them. Heres the kicker though ... they werent interacting with each other. Now what makes you want to come back to the park with the most moneky bars around?

Just my humble opinion as a forum owner for many years on many sites.

Keep doing what you're doing Mike - its appreciated by many even if they cant Like your posts
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:31 AM   #224
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post

Just having members doesnt generate income - anyone can hire a click farm and pad their site stats. Any forum owner knows this, its not about stats its about clicks, interaction and time spent on a page. Not how many pages you visit inside 3 minutes.

Im not speaking for the owners but you know how much a New VBulletin site costs? Its ****in stupid money. This software is still supported heavily in many forms and its a license for life. You want a forum loaded with click bait and member fees or you want a mildly free one?

Again its not about generating members ...... I believe you are missing that point. Its about Generating INTERACTION.

To me this solidifys what Mike is pushing for. A park with more benches for people to sit doesnt mean the park is getting used more. The Like button was those benches.

Your saying makes sense but when you flip it around the Like button was your moneky bars. Thousands and thousands of monkey bars with people hanging from them. Heres the kicker though ... they werent interacting with each other. Now what makes you want to come back to the park with the most moneky bars around?

Keep doing what you're doing Mike - its appreciated by many even if they cant Like your posts

Thank you Rob, I appreciate your support and your outlook is spot on
Old 03-19-2019, 07:48 AM   #225
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
Thank you Rob, I appreciate your support and your outlook is spot on
But muh like button!!!
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:18 AM   #226
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Maybe? Maybe not...

Good luck

Good morning Ernie,
The decision for the like button comes from the tippy top, and its for good reasons that affect this business as whole.

I haven't seen cluttered threads, but I guess we will see how it plays out over time.

noted

I'm not a liberty to explain the matters in detail, but it was decided by the owners to go this route.

As time goes on and my admin powers are finalized, I do hope to work with Badger in cleaning things up and making changes that will positively effect RCC as whole

Ok Mike, I understand the why, I think a lot of the push back is because (the nature of the beast we are) we don't like to deal with change weather it's for good or bad. It moves us out of our comfort zone. I guess I'll just have to wait and see where this is all going. I get the feeling there are things going on behind the scenes that for some reason are not being shared with us yet! We just need to remember that for the most part change is usually good but that doesn't mean we are going to be happy with it.

Being the old geezer I am I don't speak as eloquent as some but I think you get the jest of what I'm trying to say.

Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 03-19-2019 at 09:21 AM.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:19 AM   #227
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
But muh like button!!!
"liked"
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:39 PM   #228
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up Re: "Like" Button

Quote:
I hope we can all work together as a community to turn this place around. Get threads and post counts back up, bring vendors back, hopefully swag and just overall move this place forward and back to the top where it once was

No matter what happens, this place will never be like Facebook

Thank goodness
Axial Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:44 PM   #229
Quarry Creeper

I'm just honestly surprised this was priority 1 when the home page still talks about AXIALFEST2017!!!!!! FFS. When paying to be a member youd think the home page would have some updates..... Improve something without removing a feature. And silence the detractors..ie me
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:48 PM   #230
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post

This is well said.....
roksloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:27 AM   #231
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by odomandr View Post
I'm just honestly surprised this was priority 1 when the home page still talks about AXIALFEST2017!!!!!! FFS. When paying to be a member youd think the home page would have some updates..... Improve something without removing a feature. And silence the detractors..ie me

It was a priority because this place is technically business and while I'm not going to get into the details as to how it was negatively effecting it, it was.

The home page is on the list. Again, not all changes will be taking effect immediately. The home page will also require assistance from Badger
Old 03-20-2019, 06:36 AM   #232
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by odomandr View Post
There was a thread a while back asking why the home page hasn't been updated and the general response was "there is a home page?". Pretty much everyone said they go straight into the forum.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:43 AM   #233
Quarry Creeper

The reason people say rcc is dead is because of the home page. We don't visit it because it's had the same shit for over two years on it. If it had current vendor links, current topics, events etc I'd go to it and Everytime someone new searched for the site they wouldnt see stuff from 2017. If you don't want the homepage then axe it and redirect to the forum home. The homepage tells anyone who hasn't registered all they need to know about this site.....

Mike thanks for taking the reigns to make it better but let's improve features we have. As a site supporter it's hard to justify renewal when features are removed and improvements/updates are not implemented. Removing the like button was premature imo. At least put a notification at the top for thread responses or quoted posts. Removing the like button has made it more difficult to interact in threads because you are not notified any longer. That sucks

Last edited by odomandr; 03-20-2019 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:22 AM   #234
Rock Crawler

Actually if you go to the top of the page and click on the "thread tool" drop down menu, you’ll be able to subscrib to the thread, then you can get notifications of new posts via email.

Last edited by Alexander_0_1; 03-20-2019 at 08:39 AM.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:30 AM   #235

234 posts above mine discussing the damn "Like" button... Let's take this effort in posting here and move it towards other threads. Let's help people in other threads or just give feedback to build threads!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:48 AM   #236
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
234 posts above mine discussing the damn "Like" button... Let's take this effort in posting here and move it towards other threads. Let's help people in other threads or just give feedback to build threads!

Im waiting for a little red star to pop up next to my name and then on doing a build dump. Im always building, I have 4 or 5 major builds going on most times.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:57 AM   #237

Quote:
Im waiting for a little red star to pop up next to my name and then on doing a build dump. Im always building, I have 4 or 5 major builds going on most times.
Why do you need to wait for the red star?
Old 03-20-2019, 08:00 AM   #238
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Why do you need to wait for the red star?
Because my phone and photobucket refuse to do anything but bicker back and forth. They won't communicate so I can never log in and I'll be fawking damned if I'm going to start another photo hosting account somewhere else.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:01 AM   #239
Quarry Creeper

they don't even know if they host photos anymore
Old 03-20-2019, 08:06 AM   #240

Quote:
Because my phone and photobucket refuse to do anything but bicker back and forth. They won't communicate so I can never log in and I'll be fawking damned if I'm going to start another photo hosting account somewhere else.
Ah. I've moved on from Flickr to Imgur and I also don't post photos from mobile because Imgur linking sucks on the mobile website and in their app. You can embed or link full-size photos and that's it. I wish this forum would resize photos automatically - hopefully one day it will - so I didn't have to bother with that. On desktop Imgur happily allows you to choose different size images to embed. It's 2019. It shouldn't be sofa king hard to link to an image.

"Like" Button - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Airtronics M11 settings for "push-button" dig control John Hallman Electronics 8 09-21-2010 08:48 PM
"Hide Forum" button? microgoat Comments, Suggestions, and Help 11 04-05-2006 11:30 AM
project "search button",my TLT Chevy 72Blazer Tamiya TLT Crawlers 13 03-04-2006 06:57 PM