Notices

Thread: Student Debt Forgiveness

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2021, 10:06 AM   #141
RCC Addict

Default Re: Student Debt Forgiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
No matter the degree, the cost of education and the quality of the education rarely are proportional.

"College", or the necessity of it, is an illusion sold by the colleges. They have sold this illusion to the employers, to the parents, the students, and the banks. And when the dust settles, the colleges are the only ones with the money, with the rest either owing it or being owed.

Of course, I say this right in the middle of getting my third degree. As much I see the myth in this illusion, the fact remains that if I am going to have any upward mobility in my current career, I need that piece of paper that says I have more education. This is, of course, in spite of having over 30 years of experience in the field.

However, getting back to the main theme of this thread... At the end of this educational road, I will be without debt for any of these degrees. The first two were paid for while I was active duty. The one I am currently working on is giving me a nice monthly bump in cash. So, if you want to get "educated", there are ways of doing it that do not require massive debt.
Where's the damn "Like" button!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2021, 10:10 AM   #142
RCC Addict

Quote:
I think I have said it somewhere in this thread, but it bares repeating...

If the government determined that over the next ten years our nation was going to face a shortage of a critical skillset (mechanical engineers, pipe fitters, industrial welders, etc...), then I could see paying for their education to encourage people to go into that field. But, paying for someone to get a degree in the liberal arts, not no, but HELL NO...!
Again, where's the damn "Like" button!

Old 11-11-2021, 03:30 PM   #143
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
Where's the damn "Like" button!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
Again, where's the damn "Like" button!

Here ya go:
Attached Images

Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 03:33 PM   #144
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
Here ya go:
There it is! NICE!! Thanks Mike!

Old 11-11-2021, 03:51 PM   #145
I wanna be Dave

Old 11-23-2021, 09:09 AM   #146
RCC Addict

Sorry about your situation Panther. While I dont agree with loans being sold with lots of fees added each time, you did take loan and it should be repaid. If there were a program to knock off all the BS fees that were added, I'd think that would be fair though.

Quote:

"College", or the necessity of it, is an illusion sold by the colleges. They have sold this illusion to the employers, to the parents, the students, and the banks. And when the dust settles, the colleges are the only ones with the money, with the rest either owing it or being owed.
I agree with this. The whole idea is sold to us when we're young that you have to go college and get a degree to make any money. Trades and blue collar work are jobs for low lifes and we're a special snowflake who should not have to do that sort of dirty work...Then these clueless kids take out loans to pay for a degree in some useless field that has no career/earning potential such as the proverbial underwater basket weaving. They end up with tens of thousands of dollars in student debt without the skills necessary to get a job that will allow them to earn enough to live like they want and to pay the loan. These are the people who are shouting from the rooftops about free college.

I have had arguments with younger folks who just can't wrap their heads around the fact that there are good paying jobs out there for people with skilled trades. The Navy gave me training that landed me a job that pays quite well. More than the average 4 year degree pays. And it didnt cost me a dime.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 01:44 AM   #147

Loan forgiveness is not really worth pursuing at a moderate balance unless you qualify for the 10 year, tax free forgiveness under the PSLF. It's not more time than a few minutes of effort once or twice year. Even I, who had a few headaches over the years about it, am glad I did it, but my balance is much higher. I treat loand pretty serious, read the resources like https://lånepenger.no and try to be financially independent

Last edited by Aleksks; 12-07-2021 at 09:21 AM.
Aleksks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 10:59 PM   #148
Quarry Creeper

My thought is BULL. I have 2 godchildren, brother and sister, one with a 4 year degree the other with a 6 year. both went to school for something they wanted to do with their lives. Both now work at the same retail store for just over minimum wage and can not come close to making payments on the loans. Why, they have useless degrees in the real world. Let's just say something close to underwater basket weaving. Why should any of my tax dollars be used to defray paying back a loan because they did not figure out how many jobs in their chosen field would be available. If either one had went to school for a 2 year degree as a RN Nurse or X Ray Tech they would be making 50k to 80k depending on years of experience and live in the same location they live in now instead of making 26k. So forgiveness of education loans is off the table, I have made dumb choices in my youth as far as spending $$ is concerned and had to suck it up and pay it off. There is no reason taxpayers should bail out college loans, your choice, your responsibility, now suck it up buttercups!

Last edited by sherbs; 11-28-2021 at 11:01 PM.
sherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 04:33 AM   #149
Rock Stacker

^^^^^Exactly!! This reminds me of everyone gets a trophy. Man this country is really going down hill quickly but not surprised seeing who is driving it.
Mopar man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:23 AM   #150
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar man View Post
^^^^^Exactly!! This reminds me of everyone gets a trophy. Man this country is really going down hill quickly but not surprised seeing who is driving it.
i believe a comment like this deserves a big fat

"lets go brandon !"
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:50 AM   #151
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbs View Post
There is no reason taxpayers should bail out college loans, your choice, your responsibility, now suck it up buttercups!
...There shouldnt be loans necessary in the first place
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:27 AM   #152
Rock Stacker

Lets go brandon !!!
Mopar man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:05 PM   #153
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
...There shouldnt be loans necessary in the first place
...and who pays for that?

Yeah, I still have a REALLY hard time accepting the idea paying for the "education" of an overindulged, trophy-getting-showing-up, hypocritical, monochromatic-wearing douche getting it's (gender neutral so I don't offend) gender studies degree so IT can follow what it considers "science" to the discovery of 32 more genders. No thank you. If we are about to run low on EEs, electricians, roofers, or any other necessary vocation, then I'd be happy to chip in for their learnin'.

Or... We have this REALLY crazy system here in the U.S.ofA that I heard about. It has been said that if you join specific organizations, most of which are armed, "forces" you might say, that you will EARN several entitlements that will actually allow a person to not only get one degree, but multiple degrees. All of this for simply signing a contract, working in a specific job for a specified amount of time, and leaving that "force" honorably. Now, I don't know if this is true or not, but you do hear things in the wind... from time to time...

Last edited by Greatscott; 11-29-2021 at 08:09 PM.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 04:40 AM   #154
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Yeah, I still have a REALLY hard time accepting the idea paying for the "education" of an overindulged, trophy-getting-showing-up, hypocritical, monochromatic-wearing douche getting it's (gender neutral so I don't offend) gender studies degree so IT can follow what it considers "science" to the discovery of 32 more genders. No thank you. If we are about to run low on EEs, electricians, roofers, or any other necessary vocation, then I'd be happy to chip in for their learnin'.

Or... We have this REALLY crazy system here in the U.S.ofA that I heard about. It has been said that if you join specific organizations, most of which are armed, "forces" you might say, that you will EARN several entitlements that will actually allow a person to not only get one degree, but multiple degrees. All of this for simply signing a contract, working in a specific job for a specified amount of time, and leaving that "force" honorably. Now, I don't know if this is true or not, but you do hear things in the wind... from time to time...

Ahh, you mean earning that education!

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 10:26 AM   #155
Quarry Creeper

We really need that damn like button back.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 07:47 PM   #156
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Ahh, you mean earning that education!

Hang up and Drive
Quote:

Quote:
Lets go brandon !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
i believe a comment like this deserves a big fat

"lets go brandon !"
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
We really need that damn like button back.

Here ya go, & LET'S GO BRANDON!!
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2021, 05:56 PM   #157

Are there any other solutions? I am now in my 2nd year, but my studies are difficult for me, and the topic of student debt is very close to me, I would be glad to find more new advice.
On my own behalf, for all students, I recommend a useful educational service for self-development outside the classroom or to search for materials for preparing homework, go to https://papersowl.com/examples/addiction/ and read about addiction, where experts have prepared a very large analytical compilation on this very serious problem.

Last edited by AnthonyAllard; 12-20-2021 at 04:57 AM.
AnthonyAllard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 08:00 PM   #158
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyAllard View Post
are there any other solutions?

Ask Brandon?

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 07:51 AM   #159
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Ask Brandon?

Hang up and Drive

brandon says his butts been wiped

ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:10 AM   #160
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyAllard View Post
are there any other solutions?
Dunno... To start, perhaps not dumbing down math courses to the lowest common denominator. Or, at the very least, teaching high-school kids how to calculate a student load vs income to figure out if that $450k degree in Tuba-playing will put them in debt for the rest of their lives. You know, if the job you are after pays $25k/yr, but the degree for that job costs $130k, you might want to entertain different gainful employment.

Of course, this is a foolish notion. It puts the responsibility of borrowing and repaying the money squarely the shoulders of the student, and by today's "standards" is just not in vouge. And because the student was taught how to calculate and evaluate the whole processes, there is no nameless, faceless process to deflect blame to.

Well, that's the way I heard it...
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote

Student Debt Forgiveness - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Our country in debt? hotrodsonoma Chit Chat 13 08-06-2014 01:40 PM
Paying off a debt.... The Rebuild!!! Chaotic Crawlers EnRoute Berg 33 11-17-2013 12:07 AM
U.S. debt.kleptocracy CREEPERBOB Chit Chat 205 05-20-2012 10:11 AM
Christmas debt... braceysdad Chit Chat 44 12-27-2009 05:37 PM
debt collectors. lmao ctrwannabe Chit Chat 20 11-12-2008 12:19 AM