Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Do you feel like a dork when you R/C?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2007, 02:51 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheatin View Post
That dude would be eating soup for 8 weeks if that happened around me.
Yeah no kiddin. She didn't tell me until after we had left for the day. Lets just say that the following week I didn't go there to race and someones mouth was bleeding from a good ol fashon punch in "da kisser"... I felt MUCH better...
damion289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2007, 03:01 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by damion289 View Post
Yeah no kiddin. She didn't tell me until after we had left for the day. Lets just say that the following week I didn't go there to race and someones mouth was bleeding from a good ol fashon punch in "da kisser"... I felt MUCH better...
Atta boy!!
Cheatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:34 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

for sure but who cares. we're promoting the hobby! RC hobby grade is so underground, i mean you realize how big it is only IF you have hobby grade rc's yourself! The only time i dont feel nerdy is when im running my nitro 1/8th truck, my monster. cause then people look at it as nuts! The other thing that gets me is trying to explain to people why its so expensive
Abednego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:54 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

I bet if you check the top ten highest paid people in the world they would all at one time or still do classify as a dork..... R/C's are bada$$, you are confusing how bad you feel that everyone on your block doesn't have one with embarrassing situations.... stop that!

I know what you mean. I found a really cool waterfall on a corner of a busy intersection. I took my crawler over to it for some pictures. I didn't feel cool @ all, but the pictures are freakin sweet... Oh well, guess I'll make a tee-shirt on my cafe press account. It will read... "Short Bus Racing" then people will just think I'm special and not a dork.
30percent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 04:34 PM   #25
Hell's Gnome

Yup. i'm 35 and I "feel" like the biggest geek on the block. I have a few trucks for the beach, sometimes I feel way to nerdy to take them out and 4 wheel roost sand on the public beach, but if I bring enough trucks the other people we hang with at the shore will be out there with me so it doesn't feel so bad.
Yeah, self concious for some reason.
LumTheMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 04:44 PM   #26
RCC Addict

I am 30 and have been into hobby grade R/Cs for the 20 years. I love it and never feel like a dork while running them. People are always coming up to me to see what they are and think they are as cool. I usually end up spending more time answering questions than running my cars.lol
Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 04:45 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Ahh yes, the "am I a dork?" question...

Answer:
Who cares? The only people that would call you a dork are either teasing you because your shafty doesn't have the ground clearance of their pimp cane, or they are an 'outsider' wondering why you're playing with these silly toys.

Either way, just tell them "you're just jealous" and keep crawlin'!
jbrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 04:55 PM   #28
RCC Addict

I will probably feel like a bit of a dork when I roll up in my orange K5 and pull out a 1/10th scale replica which I will then run through mud and rocks while snapping tons of pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abednego View Post
for sure but who cares. we're promoting the hobby! RC hobby grade is so underground, i mean you realize how big it is only IF you have hobby grade rc's yourself! The only time i dont feel nerdy is when im running my nitro 1/8th truck, my monster. cause then people look at it as nuts! The other thing that gets me is trying to explain to people why its so expensive

I didnt feel like a dork when I used to run my LST, Savage, and 1/8th buggy at a big park in Virginia Beach. Sometimes there would be a pretty big group of people who would stand around and watch.

The inevetable question would come up:
"How much does one of those cost?"

Of course the answer for a modded LST
"I have a little over $1000 in this one."

Their response:
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:14 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColquittCustom405 View Post
Women are more attracted to me now,since I've got into the crawling
Thats a very true statement I've noticed that to.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:22 PM   #30
RCC Addict

You know my wife could never figure out why I send so much money on RC. So years ago I took her and some of her girl friends to a race ( Kyosho Clallange) In Sterling heights MI they where blown away on how big the event was and how many people turned out for it. So feel like a dork no way. And who cares what other people think HAVE FUN
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:38 PM   #31
Built, not bought

Nope.Too old to care what people think of me.
62PYRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:47 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62PYRO View Post
Nope. Too old to care what people think of me.
Exactly!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:50 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesefart View Post
I myself am 28yrs old and a bigtime Unix and R/C geek. However, when I am out running my trucks I just kinda feel.. geeky in a bad way. I used to not care, but somehow all the sudden I do and that annoys me. I want to just go outside and play and not feel like like the special guy on the block. I was just wondering if anyone else out there felt this way or has in the past?

I will alway do R/C regardless if anyone things I am dork or not. It is what I enjoy and that will never change.
try discovering the hobby (and getting a rig a week ago) at the age of 40 and having passersby look oddly at you as you're crawling in the tree roots out front of the house...at 10pm...yeah, maybe they weren't thinking so much 'dork' in that instance, lol...
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:56 PM   #34
Adilynsdad too!

I always run my RC'c naked...

That way the neighbors forget about the RC's and laugh at other things
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:58 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

ive had a mohawk for years, i wear knee high black socks with shorts, and i play with RC cars.. i really dont care what people think about me.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:59 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel View Post
ive had a mohawk for years, i wear knee high black socks with shorts, and i play with RC cars.. i really dont care what people think about me.
WHAT A DORK!

dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:12 PM   #37
Rock Stacker

Iv gathered a collection of r/c's now, i've got about 8 of the things at the age of 14, i take them out, flog em and crap and couldn't care less. Way i see it, if people think its dorky they've never been into hobby grade r/c's. When i take out my TL-01, Completely hopped up, not a stock bit left on it, people look at me like "Why the hell are you playing with a toy from the local cheap shop" until i open it up and they slow right down to see it go. I went to a drift meet on saturday, 40 odd people just drifting from a small community where r/c isnt big and its just amazing how many people are into it. If i were you, i wouldnt care, just run your truck and have fun, dont worry about others jealousy.
Kanzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:14 PM   #38
Adilynsdad too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel View Post
I did'nt realize you wore socks...
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:19 PM   #39
RCC Addict

Sometimes .. yah.

But... then when you are watching from the sidelines of a outdoor nitro r/c truggy event ... and you feel dorky just standing there watching it and not being able to take part in it.

There is a local indoor carpet race track setup in the basement of a Canadian Legion and there is racers half my age (im 30 btw) and racers that are at least half to double my age older then me. I'm basically sitting right in the middle, so I don't mind. Now if I loose to a 13 year old ..... arrrrgh!

Everyone at work wants me to bring in my r/c's to play with while at work ... however I dont want the owner to catch me fiddling with them. LOL
Nerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:21 PM   #40
Old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by braceysdad View Post
I always run my RC'c naked...

That way the neighbors forget about the RC's and laugh at little things
Thats a funny pic in my mind,I don't feel like a dork when I RC.Only when I swim,I always thought a dork was someone who swims under water, farts, then trys to eat the bubbles.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote