Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > West > Colorado

Notices

Thread: Colorado Scale Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 09:12 PM   #21
[HOONIGAN]

Casey was just talking to me about this..... He thinks we should have a mandatory tire change during a course. I think it's a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
In all seriousness, I think the full size spare setup is wrong. Having a spare tire, setup to fall out of your truck at the start, is just skirting around the system to me. The spare should have to complete the course, and should have to be used on at least one course in order to get the full points.

However I think it should be worth more than what it is currently set at. I don't run a spare because I don't feel it's worth it...change the points to change my mind and things become more interesting.
RPMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2011, 09:30 PM   #22
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMJ View Post
Casey was just talking to me about this..... He thinks we should have a mandatory tire change during a course. I think it's a great idea.

Adjust the points accordingly and that's what I'm talking about!!! Make people think twice about not running a Functional spare, and eliminate the Non-functional spares.

Would a 1:1 driver go out with a flat tire on a plastic rim for looks? Would a 1:1 driver start a trail run, have his spare fall out and then keep going?
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:08 PM   #23
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
In all seriousness, I think the full size spare setup is wrong. Having a spare tire, setup to fall out of your truck at the start, is just skirting around the system to me. The spare should have to complete the course, and should have to be used on at least one course in order to get the full points.

However I think it should be worth more than what it is currently set at. I don't run a spare because I don't feel it's worth it...change the points to change my mind and things become more interesting.
Apparently Montana had a special course where you had to change a tire a few years ago, could be fun...

Quote:

Adjust the points accordingly and that's what I'm talking about!!! Make people think twice about not running a Functional spare, and eliminate the Non-functional spares.

Would a 1:1 driver go out with a flat tire on a plastic rim for looks? Would a 1:1 driver start a trail run, have his spare fall out and then keep going?
Would a 1:1 driver enter a competition with a cooler, dog, sleeping bags or spare tire in his rig?

The way the rules are actually written if you loose a item during your run, you must place it back on your vehicle before you can progress or you will lose those scale points.

Thats the way I understand it anyway.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:18 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
The way the rules are actually written if you loose a item during your run, you must place it back on your vehicle before you can progress or you will lose those scale points.

Thats the way I understand it anyway.
That is correct and depending on how difficult the judge wants to be could also access an on course repair penalty.
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:04 PM   #25
RCC Addict

I've wanted to do a mandatory tire change on course for a long time. Maybe make a bonus section where you have to drive in, stop, swap the tires out (no power tools you cheaters), secure the spare and continue on course. This would be an optional -10 or -15 points with the clock still running.

I'm not sure if this belongs in the other thread or this one, but the Camel Trophy events look like a blast to me and I think something along those lines would be wicked fun. Stuff like: winching challenges, getting unstuck with just sand ladders, building bridges and that sort of thing. I know some of the most fun I've ever had was winching my rig with a blown motor through an entire course with the Icon, giggling the whole time
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:36 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I have to agree with Chris about this one, because I think the way the points are set up is the problem. There is no incentive to build a "scale" truck over a "performance" truck. If the course is set up to favor the faster performance trucks, then is it really a scale course?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty Malach View Post
I've wanted to do a mandatory tire change on course for a long time. Maybe make a bonus section where you have to drive in, stop, swap the tires out (no power tools you cheaters), secure the spare and continue on course. This would be an optional -10 or -15 points with the clock still running.
im thinking make the tire change an optional thing. off the course clock but added bonus scale points. along with bonus points for using all those functioning scale parts like the sand ladder. if anything use that as a way to remove penity points, but i would put limits on how many can be used per course. that might make things more difficult for the judges but would help the actual scale truck against the performance trucks. maybe
toka100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:08 AM   #27
RCC Addict

Looks like i've got to get my scaler finished up soon this should be fun.
Abavuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:28 AM   #28
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty Malach View Post
Yuck, I work on my rigs out home, when I go to a comp I want to drive.

Are you going to have to use a tiny little jack to change your tire, or is the hand of god just going to be able to reach down pickup the whole rig, change the tire, drop the rig then take off?
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:51 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
My thoughts too.

Quote:

Would a 1:1 driver enter a competition with a cooler, dog, sleeping bags or spare tire in his rig?
Exactly! I'm running a KOH rig, doesn't have a spare on it. Or any of that other stuff.

On 1:1 runs with my dad, we leave our spares back at the trailer. Used to always carry them, but got tired of the added weight. We always have two jeeps out, so no worries getting back. Plus, in the last several years, I can only think of one time where I ruined a tire. Run good tires, replace at 50% tread left and usually no worries.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:52 AM   #30
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post

Are you going to have to use a tiny little jack to change your tire, or is the hand of god just going to be able to reach down pickup the whole rig, change the tire, drop the rig then take off?
Good point..... I never looked at it that way.
RPMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:55 AM   #31
Rock Crawler

When is this series starting up? I want to run the scalers

Let me know if you need any help guys.

Last edited by Agama; 10-02-2011 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #32

Default Start dates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
When is this series starting up? I want to run the scalers

Let me know if you need any help guys.
X2 on this.
Colohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:12 AM   #33
No idea what I'm doing

If it's too late for the series, there should be at least one big get-together comp somewhere....maybe a two day event? Run Saturday, then drink a bunch of beer while setting up Sunday's courses and light a big fire. I wouldn't mind seeing Phil climb that tree at Buffalo Creek again

Maybe include some TTC events in between? I'm dying to try out my new truck-pull setup.

As far as the winch penalty goes, let's just run it the way Ty and Rodney want. See how it goes, and go on from there. But let's just do it or we'll all be one year older when we finally do.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

I hope this kicks off soon. Just logged in to see if any scaler action was happening. I got not by the bug again.
toka100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

A Campout sounds great! Lets do it to kick off a winter scale series. We should plan it soon before the snow flies.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:39 PM   #36
Gettin’ back on the horse

Talked to Rodney today and the only thing we are waiting on is enough interest to make it worth our time.

Rodney and I were a little burned when no one showed up to the TTC in MT. Evans and then not much interest with following events.

We are more then happy to hold events, but we don't go out to a site 2 hours early and set up courses for us, we do it for everyone else to come out and have a good time.

Those that run events know it can be a PITA sometimes running events, setting courses buying supplies, printing score cards, tallying scores, etc. I don't mind the work, but Im not going to do it for myself.

If you guys want to do some scale events this winter we need to see the interest for it.

We have been looking forward to these events for a while, but we would like that same enthusiasm from everyone.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:52 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Quote:
Talked to Rodney today and the only thing we are waiting on is enough interest to make it worth our time.

Rodney and I were a little burned when no one showed up to the TTC in MT. Evans and then not much interest with following events.

We are more then happy to hold events, but we don't go out to a site 2 hours early and set up courses for us, we do it for everyone else to come out and have a good time.

Those that run events know it can be a PITA sometimes running events, setting courses buying supplies, printing score cards, tallying scores, etc. I don't mind the work, but Im not going to do it for myself.

If you guys want to do some scale events this winter we need to see the interest for it.

We have been looking forward to these events for a while, but we would like that same enthusiasm from everyone.
Biggest reason I quit doing it. Sucks when you show up and no one but the guys that help you show up. When I did it I really enjoyed it, but when no one showes for events makes you wonder why are you wasting your time doing this. With my departure from crawling for the last few months I'm begging miss it and if this gets going, I will make as many as I can depending on my schedule.
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #38
No idea what I'm doing

Some of the distances are what makes it hard for me. Buffalo Creek isn't bad, especially for an overnight event, but the Springs really is tough.

Also, how do we get Cato to come back out again? I miss that guy
Old 10-03-2011, 09:35 AM   #39

Quote:

I know I can get all of the No limits guys and some of the ruffneck crew to go. I think 10 to 15 people right there. When Brandon and I started the mon comp at the crawl space we were hopeing to get the scale guys back out and running again..I am definately in rather its a campout or day run. But please, like juan said try and keep them close.

Thanks
Jerry
Colohunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:44 AM   #40
Rock Stacker

I have to agree with Jerry and Juan here. I made the Palmer event but one that far twice a month is really killer, but it would be nice to see the series take back off again if there are enough places within reasonable distance. Thanks Ty and Rodney for coming out and really stepping up and putting these events on.

-Oz
ozyint is offline   Reply With Quote