Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > West > Colorado

Notices

Thread: Interest in Rally?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2011, 11:49 PM   #301
PapaGriz Yo

Rodney burned his up last weekend. Juan had to stop and let his cool several times. Mine gave me no problems but I don't expect it to last forever.

The idea on motors is to keep the speed of the truck close to stock. Everything else I run uses 3S so I don't want to buy 2S batteries.

If the stock motor is 4375 KV then the motor rpm on 2S is 31,500 rpm.

If I buy a Holmes 23T Handwound Torquemaster (2790 KV) and run it on 3S the motor rpm will be about the same: 30,969 rpm.

Also, using higher voltage for the same power output means less amps, which means less heat and a more reliable setup. I learned that from boats.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2011, 12:00 AM   #302
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
The idea on motors is to keep the speed of the truck close to stock. Everything else I run uses 3S so I don't want to buy 2S batteries.
Quote:
Also, using higher voltage for the same power output means less amps, which means less heat and a more reliable setup. I learned that from boats.
Totally makes sense to me.

I thought 2s was the rule, but I guess nothing is official. I think this must be where I got that in my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Also this is the class that most want to keep as a "stock" class and only real upgrades the steering servo and ESC so you can 2 cell lipo.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:09 AM   #303
PapaGriz Yo

Yeah, I talked to Turtle and Rodney about my 3S idea last Saturday and they felt it would be ok.

Everybody immediately thinks I'm trying to go faster by running 3S, but I'm really not.

I have this 16x2 Speed Gems motor here so whether I run it or the stocker I'll have a spare motor for Saturday. What plugs do you need on the motor wires? I can set it up to do a quick swap. I'm off all day Friday.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:12 AM   #304
R.I.P. Chip

I soldered it direct to the esc.

I'd really like to just do it right and not screw around with brushed motors.

The brushless motor in my Blitz is no faster than my trophy truck and will run all day on 2s without getting hot at all.

Instead I'll just keep burning up brushed motors, "to keep this cheap"
Old 11-24-2011, 12:17 AM   #305
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
Instead I'll just keep burning up brushed motors, "to keep this cheap"
Hahahaha!!

I totally agree with you, I bunred up several brushed motors in my Slash trying to keep it cheap. I think we should talk about allowing brushless as long as it's below a certain KV. Besides, at this track speed doesn't help.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:23 AM   #306
PapaGriz Yo

I think everyone would agree that we'd rather see you there with something that runs than something that is going to die in 10 minutes. I say throw the brushless in there and come play.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:24 AM   #307
R.I.P. Chip

On alot of tracks all out speed doesn't matter, it just means you are going to crash harder.

Bad thing with trying to keep things spec is you are always gonna piss someone off. You and Juan just bought the brushed versions to fit in the class, but I am sure you both would have rather bought the brushless ones. I just spent $120 on 2s batteries to fit in the class.

It'd be cool to have a way to just do a speed check on all the rigs and just say, no rig can go faster than XXmph. Run 1s, 2s, 3s, 4s, brushed, brushless, whatever as long at your top speed wasn't over X. If you went a little fast just bring it in and gear it down.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:26 AM   #308
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
I think everyone would agree that we'd rather see you there with something that runs than something that is going to die in 10 minutes. I say throw the brushless in there and come play.
Yea I feel ripped off by this motor. I never take anything back, but this might be going back to hobbytown.

I'll figure something out it looks like too much fun to miss out on.

off to bed...
Old 11-24-2011, 12:28 AM   #309
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Yea I feel ripped off by this motor. I never take anything back, but this might be going back to hobbytown.

off to bed...
Later
Old 11-24-2011, 12:35 AM   #310
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
On alot of tracks all out speed doesn't matter, it just means you are going to crash harder.

Bad thing with trying to keep things spec is you are always gonna piss someone off. You and Juan just bought the brushed versions to fit in the class, but I am sure you both would have rather bought the brushless ones. I just spent $120 on 2s batteries to fit in the class.

It'd be cool to have a way to just do a speed check on all the rigs and just say, no rig can go faster than XXmph. Run 1s, 2s, 3s, 4s, brushed, brushless, whatever as long at your top speed wasn't over X. If you went a little fast just bring it in and gear it down.
At the rally track too much speed will hurt more than help. I can take the VXL combo out of my Slash if you want to borrow it.
RPMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:13 AM   #311
Rock Stacker

Quote:

off to bed...
Had the same problem with one of those motors. I have a 27t p2k you can have if you want for saturday. Or a 14x3 orbital 2r pro BB not sure if that would be over the limit though. The p2k has 0 runs on it soldered connections up and changed my mind and the bb needs the diodes re-soldered but only has a run or two on it. Could meet ya at the 7-11 on 112th there between us sometime this week if ya want. Shoot me a pm if you want em, they are just sitting here.
ozyint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:49 AM   #312
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:

I agree 100% with your logic.

I was talking to Chris about this yesterday, and I don't want to go any faster, I just want the reliability of a good setup. Once my stocker smokes, I want to replace it once, not 5 times.

Ty, if we keep the motor RPM all the same (or close) can we go the inexpensive route and buy a good motor setup the 1st time?
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:50 AM   #313
I wanna be Dave

Are you guys running any sort of heat sink to help keep temps lower?

My set-up is totally different, but I am having heat issues too (even with a heat sink, though it helped a lot) and I was looking at low-kv brushless motors as well, with the same mindset as grizz - keep the same KV as stock, and it will be just as competitive. I don't think you guys have to worry too much about my rally truck, the driver is the handicap. Also, my set-up fits my 3s batteries much easier, where as with the 2s I need to make a spacer to get it to stay in place.

I was looking at 2600KV motors, with 3S lipo (on a full charge - 12.6V) it's only 32,760 RPM, If grizz's calculation is right, the stocker on 2S is 36,750 RPM. So, really up to a 2900KV motor would be equivalent on 3S (36,450 RPM)

I think if the group agrees, this would be the new rule? It stays competitive, but for some people this is less expensive than burning up 2S batteries and brushed motors every run.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:33 AM   #314
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
All I said guys is keep the speed around stock, I don't care how it is done, never did. Never said you have to run 2 cell or brushed motors. That is just what I run.

The class rules are not so much rules as they are guidelines at this point.

Some people want to keep this strictly fun and run one fun event at a time. While I have heard others want to have a series with tracked points.

Its your guys' call what you would like to do. I don't think it will change anything all that much besides more then first place having bragging rights.

I will say that the class rules that are in place are not my creation. They have been in place by another group that comes to rally from time to time. And they do work.

So what do you guys want to do?
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:14 AM   #315
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post

So what do you guys want to do?
I think you and Rodney run a great event, so I trust your judgement on this as well.

I just want a truck that I don't have to work on every time it runs...I have enough of a work load with all my other trucks

I'm going to talk to Chris again about my motor size/RPM choices on 2S (since I also have 4 of them), and get a motor ready for when my stocker blows.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:21 AM   #316
RCC Addict

This looks awesome!!!! Once I get my eletronics back for castle for my slash I might have to come play too.

Check out this video

RC RALLY Monte Carlo.mpg - YouTube
Abavuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:12 PM   #317
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMJ View Post
At the rally track too much speed will hurt more than help. I can take the VXL combo out of my Slash if you want to borrow it.
I have a couple vxl's here if they are allowed I will put one in and gear it appropriately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozyint View Post
Could meet ya at the 7-11 on 112th there between us sometime this week if ya want. Shoot me a pm if you want em, they are just sitting here.
Thanks I'll let you know if I decide to go that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Its your guys' call what you would like to do. I don't think it will change anything all that much besides more then first place having bragging rights.
I'll go with whatever everyone else wants, I just think it'd be a lot more fun for everyone if brushless motors were allowed. They are 100 times more reliable, so we could spend more time racing and less time cussing burnt up motors.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:45 PM   #318
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:

I'll go with whatever everyone else wants, I just think it'd be a lot more fun for everyone if brushless motors were allowed. They are 100 times more reliable, so we could spend more time racing and less time cussing burnt up motors.

I won't argue with you there. The guys that put the rules in place made it a stock class so it was easy and inexpensive for everyone to get into.

Though...When one guy starts running brushless everyone thinks they have to and it becomes something of a deterrent to get new drivers and keep it affordable.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:32 PM   #319
RCC Addict

After looking at the photo's, what scale are the rally cars... I'm asuming a slask conversion would be too big?
Abavuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:11 PM   #320
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abavuso View Post
After looking at the photo's, what scale are the rally cars... I'm asuming a slask conversion would be too big?
1/10 touring car sized and 1/12 trophy trucks. A slash would be too big.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote