Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > West > Colorado

Notices

Thread: Interest in Rally?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #241
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
Wow! I have not had that much fun or laughed that much in a long time.
I heard from someone that they've never seen you laugh so hard.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #242
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
I heard from someone that they've never seen you laugh so hard.
Without a doubt. Well, maybe when I was drunk at Scale Nats..... You need to come play with us this Saturday bud.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #243
MODERHATER™

Too bad I work Saturdays, all the fun stuff happens then.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:45 PM   #244
PapaGriz Yo

Some of my favorites

Old 11-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #245
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Wow! I have not had that much fun or laughed that much in a long time.

It is always such a pleasure to hang out with you guys and it was great to finally meet you Jocko. Best day ever!!! If anyone is on the fence about a rally car or a Mini Trophy you either gotta come see them run or just get one going. Just as much scale fun as crawlers and lots of excitement. My Mini Trophy is my most favorite rc I've ever bought.

While I was raking leaves today (lots of time to think ) I was kicking around an idea for scoring if we want to keep track of it for the season. We could do points for the ladder similar to how we do it in drag racing where you get points for each round win and a few extra points for 1st and 2nd.
We can do the consolation group (loser bracket) where the winner gets points for third place. It's pretty easy and I can explain better in person.

I can't wait to do it again!!
Im all for it!

Saturday fill us in and we can work on a proper bracketing system as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Too bad I work Saturdays, all the fun stuff happens then.
We will have to have one on a Sunday just for you chief!
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:04 PM   #246
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

You guys suck! Now I have to get one of those infernal machines too!

Wish I could of made it, but too much to do before we head back to South Dakota for Thanksgiving.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:27 PM   #247
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
You need to come play with us this Saturday bud.
I am going to try to make it happen. Just ordered a few 6000mah batteries.

Worked on my TT today a little, found an ESC, need to find a motor might run to hobbytown tomorrow.

My rear wheels are spun, but I found some other wheels to use, now deciding if I want to try to get the stock tires off the wheels or Run some tamiya F-350 tires, they are just a hair shorter than the stockers, but they look pretty decent.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:55 PM   #248
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2j View Post
Yea!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
I am going to try to make it happen. Just ordered a few 6000mah batteries.

Worked on my TT today a little, found an ESC, need to find a motor might run to hobbytown tomorrow.

My rear wheels are spun, but I found some other wheels to use, now deciding if I want to try to get the stock tires off the wheels or Run some tamiya F-350 tires, they are just a hair shorter than the stockers, but they look pretty decent.
Cool. Or you could bolt on the spares, they have hexs.

I've seen pics with the F350 tires/wheels on rcshortcourse and I think they look fine. The rubber compound can't be much harder either.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:21 AM   #249
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2j View Post
Nice!! I was asking where you were on Saturday. We need more drivers for Team North Side.

Quote:

Cool. Or you could bolt on the spares, they have hexs.
Shhhhhh!!!!!!! That's my secret strategy for next time They can't spin any less true
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:32 AM   #250
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
10th scale class, for Tamiya (DF03Ra, TA03RS, TA03R, TB02, TB01, FF02, TA05, TT01, MAo3, M05Ra), HPI (RS4 rally), Associated (TC3), Kyosho (DRX, Fazer EP rally), etc..
So I keep thinking about this, and it seems the 1/10th cars are pretty much the class, or is Ty still thinking about other sizes? I'm researching cars and it seems most everyone was running the Tamiya. Is this really the only option to be competitive, or would one of the other cars listed above be ok? I like the idea of different makes, but don't want to spend money on something that will always be struggling (I struggle enough as is ).

So my question is, from the list above which cars are on the same competitive level as the Tamiya? I like the Kyosho Fazer's price tag, but not if it's doomed right out of the box.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #251
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
So I keep thinking about this, and it seems the 1/10th cars are pretty much the class, or is Ty still thinking about other sizes? I'm researching cars and it seems most everyone was running the Tamiya. Is this really the only option to be competitive, or would one of the other cars listed above be ok? I like the idea of different makes, but don't want to spend money on something that will always be struggling (I struggle enough as is ).

So my question is, from the list above which cars are on the same competitive level as the Tamiya? I like the Kyosho Fazer's price tag, but not if it's doomed right out of the box.
I think for the most part, it is going to come down to running gear: motor and tires mostly. Ty just listed a few known 1/10 TC's that can be converted to Rally or that were made for rally out of the box. There are so many that he could not list that would be just as competitive. Also, aftermarket parts seem to be easier to find for the Tammies.

I'll be using the RS4 (since I had one, and like to be different) on a stretched chassis (from the MT2) so that it fits the truck bodies (to be different.) I think I would be more competitive with the rally cars, but I don't mind running with the TT's. I've only got to make a motor mount and get some dog-bone cups for the transmission and I will be ready to roll.

I work Saturdays, and will not make it to this weekend's fun though. I might try to make it over to the track on Wednesday as long as the local hobby shops have the parts I need to get this finally running if anyone wants to join me for a little practice session.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:05 AM   #252
No idea what I'm doing

I was just talking to Grizz and I think the best bet for me (since I don't have a car to modify) is to just go with the DF03Ra. I'll run the Lancer Evo Monte Carlo to be different from the hoard of Subbies though.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:11 AM   #253

Quote:

Personally and with the Man Cave guys they only run these classes:
1/10th scale Rally / Roadcourse cars. Tamiya silver can motors.

1/10th scale cars unlimited. Anything goes.

1/10th scale SC Trucks. Anything goes.

1/12th scale Trophy Trucks. Stock Class with the additional rear shocks, radio / receiver & steering servo.

But in all reality the event I went too, they did it just like we did, stock TT class and Open Rally, and that was it. I left other class options open for everyone, but if know one noticed the two classes we raced Saturday are the big ones. Until the new Axial comes out, which I think would be a lot of fun on the track. I am always open to new classes, but its fun to have a lot of people in the class to keep it entertaining. I am also a fan of the scale aspect of the Rally and TT.

On to the cars.

The DF03RA is a converted 4 wheel drive buggy, made to a car. With that it is pretty durable, it is also one of only a handful of rally cars still produced by companies in 10th scale.

I bought the car two years ago because of my strong love for rally cars, it fulfilled that need and I modified it over time based on information I have found on the net for the Dark Impact (DF03) and for the DF03RA.

In the USA it seems to be the car of choice for RC rally. Over in Europe it is a different story, though they still use Tamiya cars (models we don't have readily available). Anyway other cars like the TT01 will also work for rally, but require more upgrades to be as durable and get the ride height you can from a DF03RA. The Fazer is supposed to be a pretty good choice as well, but you are going to have to stock pile a few parts and do some heavy searching to get it as durable as a DF03RA. Being different is a ok thing, but when you sacrafice durability and fun to be different that is silly.

Van had a RS4 at the event and they are supposed to drive really well, but there is a smaller following for the discontinued car then the still produced DF03RA.

As far as driving the DF03RA I will admit is not the best driving car I have ever had but it is the most durable. If you can find enough information, parts support and aftermarket parts support for another model of car I say go for it. But with almost everyone running the DF03RA there is replacement parts aplenty at every event.

For the DF03RA I started a thread compiled of a lot of the information about the the car http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/non-c...ed-df03ra.html

So before you make your choice do some heavy reading on what will work for you. I think you will spend about the same amount of money on any choice, it will just depend were that money goes, be it drivetrain, suspension, aftermarket, extra parts, etc.

Good Luck.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:16 AM   #254
Rock Crawler

go withthe df....im putting the hpi back on the pavment and getting a df....they are pretty bomproof
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:28 AM   #255
PapaGriz Yo

I tried to talk him into a Traxxas 4Tec but he wouldn't have it......

Nah, I think for parts support the DF03-RA is the way to go, and it handles plenty well. That will be my purchase when it's time to retire the 4Tec.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #256

So...
Old 11-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #257
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
So...
The 4Tec is waterproofed and ready for that right now. Count me in!
Old 11-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #258

Quote:
The 4Tec is waterproofed and ready for that right now. Count me in!
Its snow not water, I don't need no stinkin water proofing.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:58 PM   #259
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
I was just talking to Grizz and I think the best bet for me (since I don't have a car to modify) is to just go with the DF03Ra. I'll run the Lancer Evo Monte Carlo to be different from the hoard of Subbies though.

That's sacrilege...... Hater
RPMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:16 PM   #260
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Its snow not water, I don't need no stinkin water proofing.
When snow hits a warm ESC what does it turn into?

Fine with me though, makes the odds of me winning a little better when your ESC blows up.