Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Competitions

Notices

Thread: RC Overland Team Challenge Event 4 - JUNE 3rd 2012 Utica Reservoir / Slick Rock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #121
Rock Crawler

Default Re: RC Overland Team Challenge Event 4 - JUNE 3rd 2012 Utica Reservoir / Slick Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom K View Post
I have been meaning to clear my poorly worded post from the other day. I'm not upset... I feel that a team (or individual in a non-team event) should be rewarded by making ALL the events in a series.

LCQ's are a great chance to make a final if it offered a separate trophy, reward, title, etc... I think they have their time and place and I'm not sure this is the time or the place. I don't see how a series event could be won if you didn't participate in the entire series. If formats or rules are to change, they should be done after the series has ended.

I appreciate the hard work and dedication that is put in to an event; it shows your passion and dedication to the sport that so many of us share.

Thanks for your feedback Thom.. This is why I asked all of you, "The Drivers" how you would feel about an LCQ. So far it's a 50/50 thing with the group that has responded.

The King of Hammers was won in 2011 off an LCQ'er named Loren Healy.. I'm trying to relate this format to 1:1 formats for the scale realism and so we have another solid form of off road rc race competition that has a series / league to follow that leads into a real championship for now and possibly a true regional or even nationals in the future, if other clubs, areas and states adopt this format once it is completely solid...

If the RCOTC makes it that far down the road..

The hardest part now about keeping this event competitive for those interested in the competitive side, is getting everyone to be honest when judging themselves... Also, I need to solidify the rules some more after spectating for the last 4 events. Small things, but important to scale realism and proper course progression..

The more I've thought about it, the less I like the idea of an LCQ for this season personally, and that is why I could not make the decision with out asking all of you. I will pull teams from the top 10 on up depending on the amount of participants / teams that make it out for this last event. There are 30 registered teams from this season, 60 registered participants and right now the current top 13 teams would make for a crazy competitive Overland Championship.. 13 teams would be the maximum allowed in the OC if 20+ teams show up to the final event. The teams in the top standings that do not show will have their invite go "wild card" and it will be handed down to the next team in line.

What do you guys think of this ??
DORK VADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #122
Rock Crawler

Default Re: RC Overland Team Challenge Event 4 - JUNE 3rd 2012 Utica Reservoir / Slick Rock

Not real good at this part of thing but here goes,I think that an LCQ should be done after the top drivers have been selected be it 10 or however many you select,It should be for the drivers that fell short of time or points or break downs,Not for a first time team trying to get into the championship.
Now on the other hand if enough peaple sign up and show up to whare you could get all 13 contendors for the championship that would work also.Hope all this makes sence.
ratterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #123
Quarry Creeper

I agree with ratterd, there should not be an opportunity for a first time team that's never been to an RCOTC event to have a chance at winning the championship. I'm not sure, but judging by the last two rounds, I doubt that we will have 20+ teams show up, although I truly hope that we do.

I hope that all made sense... And if not, please let me know if I can clarify something.
209SCXCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #124
Rock Crawler

I was thinking that if we had the LCQ, it would have been invite only to the 11th - 13th place teams to battle it out for only one spot to get a last chance to race against the top 10 teams in the championship..
Old 06-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #125
RCC Addict

What I would like to get away from is a mandatory 6,7,8 comp series. I for one am finding it harder and harder to find the time to make it to all the series events I want to go to. Like i said before if it is mandatory and I can't commit I just won't play, cause I can't leave my partner stranded, he will just have to find someone that can commit. My idea of a good series is you make as many events as you can but each event is a championship qualifier. Top 3 from each event qualifies for the championship. Once you qualify you can't qualify again. You can run in the event take 3rd but the 4th place team gets the bump for the championship because you allready qualified. At the end of the series of events you hold your championship for all the qualifiers. This format was mentioned to me and hope that you really look into some alternative series formats like this. Just my two cents since you asked
finishline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #126
Quarry Creeper

James, I like the idea that you mentioned but I see one issue with it - There won't be as many people attending the events once they've qualified for the championship. My understanding of the RCOTC was that it was designed to get as many people to attend as possible to make it more fun. Seems like if they were to adopt the format that you mentioned, afterthe first few comps, there would only be a handful of people actually showing up to participate. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I see happening.

On the flip side, it would allow drivers to attend other series events and potentially qualify for the finals Of each series.

Personally, I don't have time to commit to more than one major series and it seems like there are others in the same boat as me.

One thing I do know is I will be attending every RCOTC event possible as I have grown to really enjoy the format... Even if I'm not the best driver on the trail
209SCXCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:58 PM   #127
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209SCXCRAWLER View Post
James, I like the idea that you mentioned but I see one issue with it - There won't be as many people attending the events once they've qualified for the championship. My understanding of the RCOTC was that it was designed to get as many people to attend as possible to make it more fun. Seems like if they were to adopt the format that you mentioned, afterthe first few comps, there would only be a handful of people actually showing up to participate. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I see happening.

On the flip side, it would allow drivers to attend other series events and potentially qualify for the finals Of each series.

Personally, I don't have time to commit to more than one major series and it seems like there are others in the same boat as me.

One thing I do know is I will be attending every RCOTC event possible as I have grown to really enjoy the format... Even if I'm not the best driver on the trail

So if you qualified the first event would you continue to attend the rest of the events? Probably so and I think most of the guys would. I just think that you will loose more guys if you make it manditory. Sorry to bring this up Matt but I believe that was the biggest reason most of the Sac guys didn't show up to the latter events because they had no chance in competting for first place because they missed an event or two due to schedule conflicts.

I am going to say this again Matt, you need to make this series how you want it to be. You can't make everyone happy no matter what you do or say. Make the series most beneficial to you and Mandi, and if people like it they will show. I believe you have the format of the event down and I have a blast every time I get to run in your events.

Last edited by finishline; 06-12-2012 at 12:06 AM.
finishline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #128
Rock Crawler

James, Jerry & Rene, thanks for the feed back guys. We have been thinking of different ways to run this series next season, and yes James, the idea of each event acting as a pre-qualifier for the OC is one of them.. Rene has also mentioned a few pros and cons of that type of format that I think we would see if it was kept local, and if we continued to worry about keeping such a large group of people together for each event. If we only pull 3 - 5 drivers per event, this still leaves a lot of drivers hungry for more.. I do like this format idea and it would make thing easier for some..

This format is an idea for making this event able to travel all over California as well as to potentially create a state championship that pulls from a whole state of drivers.. This is also a way for the events to come to you instead of having to follow it.

Note:
Remember that the old 2nd place team from event 2 of the series (team rock armor) is still in 13th place even though they have not shown up to the last 2 events, have had maximum course time added, 0 progression points for each missed event. Still, as of now, they are eligible for the OC if they show up to the next event and finish with a decent time..

So what I'm saying is, if you place high enough or even finish each time and make at least every other event, you still potentially can keep yourself with in the top 13 all season.. The only way you could be bumped out faster is if you have a lot of heat from a lot of other teams on your heels in the standings. This would take the same teams showing up for every event, and that is a rare thing, but those teams will be the ones on the top of the standings, as they are right now..

Last edited by DORK VADER; 06-12-2012 at 09:04 AM.

RC Overland Team Challenge Event 4 - JUNE 3rd 2012 Utica Reservoir / Slick Rock - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC Overland Team Challenge April 29th 2012 Event 3 Red Hills Rd, Chinese Camp, CA DORK VADER Competitions 228 05-16-2012 01:43 PM
RC Overland Team Challenge Event 3 DORK VADER Scale Videos! 10 05-07-2012 05:18 PM
RC Overland Team Challenge Comp #3 March 18, 2012 Lake Amador fvrr Competitions 86 04-05-2012 07:00 PM
RC Overland Team Challenge 1/15/2012 Folsom CA dx-dow Scale Videos! 7 01-22-2012 10:15 AM