Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Competitions

Notices

Thread: Another Rule thread.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2005, 06:03 AM   #1
R.I.P. Chip

Default Another Rule thread.

I am wondering why people do not like the RCCrawler.com rules? It seems as most of the comps are using some other form of rules. Here in Colorado we have used the RCC rules several times and they have always worked great for us.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2005, 06:32 AM   #2
Colt Python/SR9c

i think the only thing they have changed for the GR comp is the box rule, which im kinda glad they did since im not sure i would make it. haven't measured but i think im about 22-23" long. not sure why everone else changes other stuff
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 06:33 AM   #3
R.I.P. Chip

From what I can tell, at GR they will be using the UTRCRC rules.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:08 AM   #4
Colt Python/SR9c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark
RULESThis time we will run the official Rc Crawler ruleset available here:
http://s94251975.onlinehome.us/rulebook2004.pdf

With the exception of the box rule-it's to controversial and I'm sure someone might make the drive then fail tech, that to me is not what competition is about.

We will also not inforce the stop rule for safety reasons. And we will allow repositions but only via a judge.

Jon
this is what i gathered
Old 02-25-2005, 08:18 AM   #5
06 Super National Champ

I brought this up before, but the Box rule kinda throws out the use of Kongs.

If you want to run Kongs (8.5" diameter) and are limited to a 23" length, that means you have a 14.5" wheelbase.

Granted, you don't have to run Kongs...

I was shooting for 23" overall with Jr, but I think with the LSTs I'm sitting right at 23.5". By the RCC rules Jr is ineligible to compete...by .5"

I said earlier in the RCC rules thread that I thought max dimensions should be determined using the largest commercially available axles and wheels/tires and an appropiate wheelbase for them. Maybe this is what everyone else is thinking.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:18 AM   #6
R.I.P. Chip

This is what I gathered.

Quote:

And in other news, we will be running the UTRCRC rules to coinside with the other S.E.R.C.R.C events and make things more simple for all of us

They are available here:
http://www.utrcrc.com/downloads/rules.pdf
Old 02-25-2005, 08:55 AM   #7
Colt Python/SR9c

well i wish he would make up his mind :?

yeah i agree with JIA on the box deal. I think if you want to run kongs and x-factor axles then you should be allowed to in a comp. yeah it may be a disadvantage in some cases, but if you feel that the rig running those things kicked your butt in the comp,then sounds like you need to upgrade. This hobby is not that big yet to be turning people away from comps because thier rig doesn't meet the box yet.but that's just my opinon
Old 02-25-2005, 09:09 AM   #8
R.I.P. Chip

The actual size of the box by the rules is 24X17. I thought kongs were 8" tall so I set that limit because it would be kongs at a 16" wheelbase which is what most seem to be running. As far as width, I went to my LHS and measured the shop owners xfactor. He runs wide 40 series tires, and I don't remember the exact measurment, but he had plenty of room at 17". The size of the box really isn't that critical, and I would have no problem streaching it an inch or so in either direction. The main point of that rule was to keep all of the rigs close to the same size. If you actually draw out a box 24X17 and look at it, thats pretty big.

Some of the other rules have reverses, and hitting cones equal in points. To me your main objective in running a course is to stay on course and not hit cones. They also allow repositions, and gate bypasses. I am totally against those things. To me a COMPETITION should be a COMPETITION, if you pick your rig up and carry it through a set of gates what does that prove? Some people say, well what if you get hung up in a section and cannot go any farther. Then the guy that doesn't get stuck will get a better score than you did. This is COMPETITION.

These rules are a modified set of the actual 1:1 UROC rules, I kept them as true to 1:1 as I could. And yes I do know that the UROC rule are copyrighted, I took the time and have in my possession a signed copyright release from UROC.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:39 AM   #9
06 Super National Champ

I agree about gate by-passes.

In the first GR comp I attempted every gate, and suffered point penalites in the process.

I'd have came out better points-wise if I'd bypassed a gate and not kept attempting.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:34 AM   #10
RCC Addict

One thing I liked better about the UTRCRC rules is the reverse rule, where you are hit with 5 points if you reverse MORE than your wheelbase of your truck, so you wont be penalized if you just reverse a inch or 2.

One thing I DIDDNT like about the UTRCRC rules is the rules on running a 1/10 scale or larger body and no buggy bodies.
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 10:38 AM   #11
Colt Python/SR9c

yeah i dont think there should be the gate by-pass, as jason stated " its a competition". that's like being in a motocross race and going around all the jumps as for the reverse, i like the idea of being able to back up some,BUT, if you choose your line before you get there, you shouldn't need to back up all the time

BTW- nice sig fawker
Old 02-25-2005, 10:45 AM   #12
R.I.P. Chip

Being able to back up some without a penalty leaves room for error, who's to say if you actually went the whole wheelbase length? Our rule is much easier, you hit reverse, you get a penalty.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:47 AM   #13
Colt Python/SR9c

ok what about rollbacks?

i think i just need to re-read the damn rules again

nevermind, i see it says" no points wil be givin if nudged by an obstacle"
Old 02-25-2005, 11:16 AM   #14
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamF
One thing I DIDDNT like about the UTRCRC rules is the rules on running a 1/10 scale or larger body and no buggy bodies.

Uhh...as in Moon Buggy?
Old 02-25-2005, 11:45 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Jason,
Our rules are VERY tough, probably because you based them on UROC. You can rack up a lot of points very quickly. It seems to me that most other sets of rules make it a little easier. The comps seem to give lee way and the rules are bent slightly. This is just my opinion and I could be wrong....however, I think that is why most aren't using rccrawler rules.
Plus...we have the Scoring Nazi which changes Everything!!!!!!!!
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 04:55 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Okay here's the reason I made the switch. The more I looked at the RCC rules the more of a PITA they seemed to be in terms of scoreing. It's a great set of rules for a smaller group of trucks but at GR the turnout is going to be high so in a effort to make things go more smoothly I went for the more simplistic (in my opinion anyway) UTRCRC rules. More or less to keep things rolling.

I don't plan on turning anyone away from GR because of the way they're rig is set-up. Rules or no rules ;)
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 05:31 PM   #17
Colt Python/SR9c

Quote:
I don't plan on turning anyone away from GR because of the way they're rig is set-up. Rules or no rules ;)

Thank God !!Hard telling what mine will look like I may just have to stay away from jason and his camera
Old 02-25-2005, 05:38 PM   #18
RCC Addict

i think the best set of rules are mine.

FREE ROAM.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 05:39 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

At VRRC we have our own set of rules too, These rules do allow gate bypasses, reverses and repositions. However these are penalized and a missed gate means that you will come after someone who has completed all gates regardless of score. We have a negative scale so lowest score wins.

Example - you start with 50 points, if I bypass all gates to the finish I will still have 50 points and 10 missed gate penalties. If I drive all gates and rack up say 78 penalty points I will still beat the person with 10 missed gate penalties because I drove the course.

I'm not big one the bypasses or repositions but sometimes some trucks just simply can't pass the gate, this would make for very poor competition if only half the trucks run it. Having said that you must attempt a gate 3 times before bypassing it, for this reason it will cost you heaps of points to do so.

As for the truck size we run unlimited, this way people can do what they like and if they feel that a bigger truck is beating them all the time then they have to upgrade. Having said that, I make the courses so that bits will suit small and others big, so neither has a advantage.

At the end of the year though it becomes invite only for the final and this will have no reverse and no reposition. Then you DRIVE or DIE.

Guys you have to remember that we have to maintain a level of spectator viewing too, without them the sport will fail to grow.

Ben
clodossal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:11 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta
I agree about gate by-passes.

In the first GR comp I attempted every gate, and suffered point penalites in the process.

I'd have came out better points-wise if I'd bypassed a gate and not kept attempting.

That is a loop hole that will be closed .................by passes should not be a part of a stratagy. Once you reach a MAX # of points then bypasses are allowed !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason
They also allow repositions, and gate bypasses. I am totally against those things. To me a COMPETITION should be a COMPETITION, if you pick your rig up and carry it through a set of gates what does that prove? Some people say, well what if you get hung up in a section and cannot go any farther. Then the guy that doesn't get stuck will get a better score than you did. This is COMPETITION.
Not sound like a smartass but the Official RC Crawler rules has a bypass rule ......... Rule 1.14.

As far as repositions are concerned. If you get stuck, and have to carry your rig to the next gate what does that prove? If the focus is driving then slap a penalty on the driver for getting stuck and let him continue.

Last edited by Fishmaxx; 02-26-2005 at 08:31 AM.
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote