Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Novak M2 Dig ESC Combo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 04:43 PM   #701
Rock Crawler

Perhaps Novak should send people that own the M2 the switch that is now needed to tune the thing? And I agree with ya T3rry - too hard off the line.

When I was a kid, running my RC10 Novak was a pretty quality operation - I've tried to stay positive through all this but having to modify something that is brand new because the company dropped the ball is ridiculous.

Wonder what would happen outside the world of RC? Product recall?
crawlinghulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #702
Rock Crawler

I agree, this is not how we intended any of this to work out. But problems occur. I'm simply posting the information so that the guys that "have" this already, have a fighting chance to get it fixed.

Once it's all sorted, it will be plug and play. I promise. What I won't promise is a time frame for that to happen. That is way out of my control.

We're building some of these special harnesses with the switches. When they are complete, you'll be able to send an email to get one. And yes, I'll pop back in to let you guys know when that happens.

Thank you guys again for all your patience with this stuff. PC Interface is very new to Novak, and we're doing our best to sort through all of this. If it was a simple matter of "just fixing it", trust me, we would.

Ah, the curves, I comletely forgot about the curves!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:44 PM   #703
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rry View Post
that's too bad, i may have to convert over to tekin then, because honestly, i need to adjust the throttle curve on this thing, it's far too hard off the line.
why don't you add a little expo in your radio?....that has smoothed it out for me
Bc Paints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #704
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Howdy Crawlers,

Good news, well sorta, from the Novak Front. I've been here at the Novak HQ for a few days now, and we were able to resolve the Compatibility issue with the Castle ESC. The Firmware should be up today or tomorrow. To follow is the "trick" I've learned to make this bad johnny work relatively trouble free.

NovaLink USB device to ESC Harness Update:

The NovaLink USB device uses the ESC's RX wire to operate the updating and adjustment of the ESC. Novak has discovered a variance in the USB drives on different computers that has lead to Problems. The following is information to prevent problems.

Building your own programming harness:
Items you will need: 1 ESC/RX Harness.
1 simple on/off switch.
Small shrink Tubing.

Take an ESC/RX Harness and cut the red wire roughly in the middle. Strip a small section of each end of the cut section and install your simple on/off switch. Use the shrink tubing to prevent the connections from being touched during operation.

Also Please Note, the Fan should be disconnected, and there should never be a battery pack connected to the ESC during these steps.

Updated Firmware Installation Information:

Follow the steps posted to update your NovaLink Files.

Open the NovaLink Software.

Connect your NovaLink USB Device, switch harness should be in the OFF position.

Click on the “Launch Firmware Updater” icon on the top of the screen.

The counter will run to “999”, then say to Connect Your Speed Controller. At this point, simply turn the switch to the ON Position. The updater should begin updating and tell you when it completes. This process should start immediately and take a few minutes to completely finish.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all. csuangka@teamnovak.com

Firmware is the "software in the ESC"
Software is the program that runs on the Computer.

We are hoping that this update gets things going, and the following updates to the overall software make the process simple, plug and go. Unfortunately, we can not make it "plug and go" fast enough!
Thanks for posting the information, I was also having problems getting the firmware update to take and I tried multiple times. I finally got it to work but I unplugged the CC bec from the receiver and started the software. I then connected the M2 to the USB connection and I also connected the battery. Once I ran the firmware update and the count hit 999 and said to connect the ESC I turned on the factory switch to power up the M2. It took the firmware and is now working with the bec without any esc / receiver or servo glitches.
80mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:44 PM   #705
Rock Stacker

hi guys i haven't been on here in a while but just bought the m2 for a mao. and noticed a few thing or should say glitches since installing it. it some time glitches when i give it throttle and some times it stops and i have to wait a few second. i did not have this problem with the tekin system in there. so i know its not the radio or receiver. do you guys think maybe a firmware update might fix this like what had to be done with some tekin and cc esc? or do i just have a bad m2.

if a novak fellow is reading this maybe you can chime in here? or maybe i will just call a tech guy once i get back to work at the lhs
rc-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:28 PM   #706
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post

Once it's all sorted, it will be plug and play. I promise. What I won't promise is a time frame for that to happen. That is way out of my control.
That like saying the issues with Windows 95 will be resolved soon.

I have one of these and a Novalink, but it does not make sense for me to unwrap it if even in the very best scenerio, it is not smooth.

Also, could I please get a comment if it is a proportional difference or a offset difference between front to back?

Last edited by renoirbud; 12-09-2010 at 07:31 PM.
renoirbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:42 PM   #707
Pebble Pounder

Look at what got posted on their site today! It looks like the M2 version of the novalink is up and ready to download. Now let's see if we can make it work.

http://www.teamnovak.com/download/NovaLink/index.html

full version http://www.teamnovak.com/download/No...k_Full_1.0.zip

software only http://www.teamnovak.com/download/No...ftware_1.0.zip

Last edited by Ugly Truckling; 12-09-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Ugly Truckling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:14 PM   #708

It is amazing at all the negativity on so many of these forums, I love my m2, much better than 2 speed controls and a dig control, I do only run 2s so no glitch problems and yes timing on the firmware is all about timing, but im no computer wizzard and it really was not that difficult, also have 50+ packs through my xr10 with no gear or bearing failures! I must just be lucky, Love the m2, 2 of my friends are getting after driving mine, I say too long of a wait tilol finally relaeased but GOOD job novak!
mike abbiati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:18 PM   #709
RCC Addict

Just got mine installed. Plenty smooth, servo seems OK running off of the M2 bec.

Mine was very abrupt in reverse after the first time I did the "one touch" setup. Noticed it was full throttle or nothing, so I knew I botched the setup. Redid the setup, now it's fine. Plenty smooth, and I don't have any expo in the radio yet, so it can be even better.

Haven't tried the proportional. Haven't had it on the rocks yet.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:22 PM   #710
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike abbiati View Post
It is amazing at all the negativity on so many of these forums, I love my m2, much better than 2 speed controls and a dig control, I do only run 2s so no glitch problems and yes timing on the firmware is all about timing, but im no computer wizzard and it really was not that difficult, also have 50+ packs through my xr10 with no gear or bearing failures! I must just be lucky, Love the m2, 2 of my friends are getting after driving mine, I say too long of a wait tilol finally relaeased but GOOD job novak!
, You're kidding right??? your first post is to come here and question our opinions on the M2 and just happen to be running one with perfect results??? Sounds like a brand loyal plant to me. I mean really, what are the odds?
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:31 PM   #711
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
Just got mine installed. Plenty smooth, servo seems OK running off of the M2 bec.

Mine was very abrupt in reverse after the first time I did the "one touch" setup. Noticed it was full throttle or nothing, so I knew I botched the setup. Redid the setup, now it's fine. Plenty smooth, and I don't have any expo in the radio yet, so it can be even better.

Haven't tried the proportional. Haven't had it on the rocks yet.
are you running 3 cell?
nitrojeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:38 PM   #712

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakker View Post
, You're kidding right??? your first post is to come here and question our opinions on the M2 and just happen to be running one with perfect results??? Sounds like a brand loyal plant to me. I mean really, what are the odds?
not kidding, mine has worked great, like i said with 2s... my first post does not really matter, and how is giving my experience and some vendor support "questioning your opinion"?... At least there is a Novak guy on here trying to work out the problems... Not really brand loyal plant, I, like many others was very displeased with Novak's inaccurate eta"s, odds? I don't know.....
Old 12-09-2010, 08:44 PM   #713
20K Club

Quote:
much better than 2 speed controls and a dig control
This statement just makes me go "huh?". In what way is this better than say two FXR's or two Castle Mamba Micro Pro's? The only reason I see to possibly go this route is if you don't have a radio to run dual ESC's.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:50 PM   #714
I wanna be Dave

OK OK, not bashing, but this is the internet, it just really looked like,,, well,, fishy. I'm glad your experience has been good, but,,,, I was really ready to drop the coin this week (even pre-order a new version) and it's things like this that have steered me away from the M2 (and the XR10)

I was really hoping this would prove out, for me it's just too little, too late.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #715

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakker View Post
OK OK, not bashing, but this is the internet, it just really looked like,,, well,, fishy. I'm glad your experience has been good, but,,,, I was really ready to drop the coin this week (even pre-order a new version) and it's things like this that have steered me away from the M2 (and the XR10)

I was really hoping this would prove out, for me it's just too little, too late.
Ditto, didn't mean to offend anyone, I have had my m2 since late October and with 2s and internal bec it works great, I do have a dx3r so it does not have the stall that i did with 2 speed controllers (2 fxr's), at least it seems they are trying to work out the problems, so many times it seem your SOL....
Old 12-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #716
Rock Crawler

I've been running mine on 3S and with a 7950 servo and no glitches. Thats with a CC Bec and no updates as of yet
Monstergt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:20 PM   #717
Rock Crawler

Strange the new M2 Novalink software does not support 3s Lipo cut off. The max cut ogg voltage is 7v. Shouldn't it be something like 9.6?

Last edited by McTwist; 12-09-2010 at 11:23 PM.
McTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:06 AM   #718
Rock Crawler

Installed the new M2 Novalink software. Software would launch could set the ESC profile, could connect and disconnect with no problems. Then I updated the firmware all seemed to go well software said ESC updated. But now the Novalink software will not connect to the ESC.
McTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:59 AM   #719
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Ditto, didn't mean to offend anyone, I have had my m2 since late October and with 2s and internal bec it works great, I do have a dx3r so it does not have the stall that i did with 2 speed controllers (2 fxr's), at least it seems they are trying to work out the problems, so many times it seem your SOL....
Hey Mike, welcome to the board!!! LOL
Give me a call or text next time you go out and we will do some crawling..
Erik
bige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #720
RCC Addict

The new download is as hinky as the first. I still can't get it to work. I wish Novak would take a page from Tekin's book, their Hotwire works like a charm first time, every time. This Novak isn't cutting it. I have multiple icons and nothing, it always says "ESC Disconnected" and I get an error message saying access denied.

I'm going to erase every Novak file and start from scratch.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote