Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Novak M2 Dig ESC Combo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2010, 09:38 PM   #601
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
If I was into conspiracies I wouldn't read the internet....
I was not serious, also, spending the extra $25 to do a firmware upgrade will not be a problem.

Thanks for posting the progress.
renoirbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2010, 10:00 PM   #602
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
"good news"!

Update worked on the first try for a shop Customer Truck! Woo Hoo. The "tick" of the BEC is gone, no steering fade or hickups!

Sweet!
Hey Charlie,can you please tell us "How to" download and install the new firmware step by step! For us thats not so good with computer
Thank you
Lowe's48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:56 PM   #603
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe's48 View Post
Hey Charlie,can you please tell us "How to" download and install the new firmware step by step! For us thats not so good with computer
Thank you
X2 I had to order the Novalink today. Found on ebay new for $20.00
Monstergt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:20 AM   #604
Rock Crawler

So i like having a Novak guy close to me. I haven't had time to "test" it at all. But will post up on my progress after I run it tomorrow in Sac. Thanks Charlie for the firmware update, good luck with the other ESC.
ynmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:33 AM   #605
Rock Crawler

Ren- So was I. It's never in any companies best interest to have any sort of problems. There are tons of guys, TONS, that read the internet and never post, they take what they read and make decisions on their own with out asking us our opinions. I would say it's fair to say that "all" of the update-able ESCs on the market, have had an update released to fix something.

It's unfortunate, but at least it's fixable with out returning the ESC like in years past.

Novak has a very simple step by step on their website that details how to "delete" the old file from your NovaLink, and Install the new one.

You have to go into the program files folder, find the Novak Electronics Folder, Find the NovaLink Folder and simply delete the RDD File.

Then download and Run te M2 Firmware file from the site. It's a zip file, so open it, and run it, it automatically installs the new firmware RDD file into the correct folder.

This is from the Novak Site:

STEP 1: Delete the previous firmware file:
  1. Navigate to the default NovaLink folder: C:\Program Files\Novak Electronics\NovaLink
  2. Click Start -> My Computer -> C: Drive -> Program Files -> Novak Electronics -> NovaLink
  3. Find the firmware file (outload__.rdd)
  4. Right-click and select Delete
STEP 2: Upload the updated firmware file:
  1. Download the zip file
  2. Open the zip folder
  3. Double-click M2_Firmware_1.3.exe
  4. Launch NovaLink Software
  5. Launch the NovaLink Firmware Updater
STEP 3: Verify that the NovaLink Software version is downloaded as indicated in the chart
  1. If the NovaLink software needs to be updated, click here
STEP 4: Launch NovaLink software, select "Launch Firmware Updater", and connect the ESC to the NovaLink Module

Sometimes, getting the update to run correctly is tricky, has something to do with the USB timing.

So what I do to ensure a trouble free update is to make a special wire harness. Simply put a basic On Off Switch on the RED wire of the RX harness from your NovaLink to the ESC.

Start with the switch off.

Run the Firmware Updater, when the count his 999, and the screen says "Plug in your Speed Controller", turn the switch on. The update should start.

AFTER the update is complete, the ESC is like it's factory fresh. Re do the One Touch Setup, and Change to Biased Profile, Then set your brakes as needed.

Good Luck. Please Email Me If You have any Problems.

csuangka@teamnovak.com

Thanks
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:00 PM   #606
RCC Addict

any chance we will see the m2 software to program this soon? I hate programming via leds
Deezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:43 PM   #607
Rock Crawler

Deezul- Not sure on a time frame, but I believe we're fairly close.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:47 AM   #608

still cant get the update to work i have the (rdd) file in the program files\novalink folder.
now when i launch novalink then click (launch firmwere updater) im getting this message

file does not exist. make sure your image is in the C:\program files\novak Electronics\novalink folder.

can any1 help !!!!!!
a terrible man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:57 AM   #609
Pebble Pounder

I have the same problem.
highfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:13 AM   #610
RCC Addict

I can't find rhe outload_.rdd file to delete.

Good news is that I don't need the updated file. Mine works with the BEC I have.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:56 AM   #611
Rock Crawler

AreCee, I often miss it, but it's always there when I look again.

Terrible, You must run the Zip File that contains the new Firmware, if you don't, well, it won't work. Downloading the file is not enough, you have to "unzip it", then run the EXE file that it unzips. This should automatically put the new firmware into the NovaLink. After you run the EXE file, the system should tell you it's put it into the correct folder.

Again, I am no computer wizard by any means, but I muddle a long and make them work on occasion.

It's important to have all your window's updates done as well.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:33 PM   #612
Rock Stacker

I get the same error message about the file being missing. For me the disk that came novalink saved all the software files within a folder called Program Files (86), but the zip filed dropped the new dll file under the Program Files folder. I moved the file from where it saved on its own to the Novalink folder created when I installed the software, and then I was able to do the update.
sinekal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:52 PM   #613
Rock Crawler

When can we buy a m2 with update already done ? and where ?
aaugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:11 AM   #614
Rock Crawler

Can i run this with dx3.Not the dx3e the dx3??
Tklan Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:26 AM   #615
Quarry Creeper

I would also like to know if it will work with the dx3
radcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #616
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tklan Crawler View Post
Can i run this with dx3.Not the dx3e the dx3??
Quote:
Originally Posted by radcal View Post
I would also like to know if it will work with the dx3
Since the dx3 has a 3 position third channel it will allow you to use the M2 for front and rear dig or you could use the proportional mode. The dx3 does not have the ability to assign multiple switches to the third channel, like the dx3r does, so you wouldn't be able to have both at the same time.

Got my Novalink and updated the M2 with the new firmware. I have to say that Novak needs to work on the ease of use of the Novalink, in my opinion it unnecessarily complicated compared to others. Also the timing with plugging in the M2 at the precise moment is ridiculous.

With that said, Thank you Novak The new firmware solved all my problems! I have the ccbec powering a Hitec 7950 directly at 7.4v, and the M2 powers the rx. I am running holmes 45t sportsman motors on 3s lipo and using the fan per instructions. I only did some serious couch crawling, but No glitching or delays at all Smooth power application in forward, reverse is a little more finicky, but not bad. I have complete control of the proportional mode although it does not work how I thought it would.

Overall I am now satisfied with the M2's performance.
chevellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:47 PM   #617
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevellian View Post
Since the dx3 has a 3 position third channel it will allow you to use the M2 for front and rear dig or you could use the proportional mode. The dx3 does not have the ability to assign multiple switches to the third channel, like the dx3r does, so you wouldn't be able to have both at the same time.
So with the DX3, you could only have proprtional for the front or rear but not both?
shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:25 PM   #618
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby View Post
So with the DX3, you could only have proprtional for the front or rear but not both?
No, he said that you could have either 3 position or proportional but not both at the same time. Either 3 position for front and rear OR proportional for front and rear.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:44 PM   #619
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevellian View Post
With that said, Thank you Novak The new firmware solved all my problems! I have the ccbec powering a Hitec 7950 directly at 7.4v, and the M2 powers the rx. I am running holmes 45t sportsman motors on 3s lipo and using the fan per instructions. I only did some serious couch crawling, but No glitching or delays at all Smooth power application in forward, reverse is a little more finicky, but not bad. I have complete control of the proportional mode although it does not work how I thought it would.

Overall I am now satisfied with the M2's performance.
dedfine complete control as far as propo? I have 5 steps in each direction but it doesnt seem to vary the f/r speed,i just it just locks at the 5th
Deezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:09 PM   #620
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post
dedfine complete control as far as propo? I have 5 steps in each direction but it doesnt seem to vary the f/r speed,i just it just locks at the 5th

I put my Berg on a stand and gave it full throttle in four wheel drive, then one click at a time, advanced the linear switch to front. The rear tires would progressively get slower with each step, when I reached the last step I was at full dig.

In practice it doesn't seem to work as well. The motor that you are cutting power to will be locked by the dragbrake until you reach the corresponding throttle input needed for the amount of bias you have dialed up, then then that motor will spin at the dialed in proportion to the other motor. That is why it seems that you only have a couple steps. More than a couple of steps requires a lot of throttle input to get the dialed down axle to turn. In crawling we use the lower end of the throttle almost exclusively.

Last edited by chevellian; 11-25-2010 at 08:27 PM.
chevellian is offline   Reply With Quote