Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Futaba 4PL Setup, Tips, Tricks & Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 01:12 PM   #261
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellx View Post
Trying to decide if i should get the 4PL or use my Spektrum DX7. I'm building the xr10 kit right now and almost set on ordering two FXR s over the novak m2 dig esc.
Does anyone know if it will work on the dx7 or should i just get the 4PL?
The DX7 can donor but there is a reason nobody uses stick radios on comp 2.2 rigs. They just aren't consistent. Pistol radios are much better for a reliable driving expierence.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2010, 01:53 PM   #262
Rock Crawler

thanks for the reply jeepcj i thing i will wait for the updated version
k goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:43 PM   #263
Quarry Creeper

OK guys I just ordered my 4PL from RPP so in a few days be ready for some tardo questions.
cave-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:09 PM   #264
Rock Crawler

Quick one for ya Harley, I just ordered one up. I'm replacing my M11. How would I set it up to run with my Novak M2? I want the biasing to work, that's why I'm switching radios. I don't have the manuel yet.
ynmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #265
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynmech View Post
Quick one for ya Harley, I just ordered one up. I'm replacing my M11. How would I set it up to run with my Novak M2? I want the biasing to work, that's why I'm switching radios. I don't have the manuel yet.
I have to look more at the M2. Honestly though the M2 is a huge waste. This radio can do more and do it better with better ESC's. I'd sell the M2 and get a couple good ESC's.

What does the M2 require for buttons?
Old 12-08-2010, 08:57 PM   #266
"HOLLYWOOD"

Oh boy tommrow is the big day. I feel like a little kid waiting for Santa lol.
Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:13 PM   #267
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
I have to look more at the M2. Honestly though the M2 is a huge waste. This radio can do more and do it better with better ESC's. I'd sell the M2 and get a couple good ESC's.
Interesting comment. Going with an M2 saves space & cost, what does dual ESC's gain over an M2?
Not arguing, just trying to learn.

BTW, I have a Futaba 3PMX that I will likely use for a 2.2 rig, have been looking at options for ESC's and the M2 was looking good.
My son may get a 4PL to replace his Traxxis modded (added dig switch) TX.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:28 PM   #268
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Interesting comment. Going with an M2 saves space & cost, what does dual ESC's gain over an M2?
Not arguing, just trying to learn.

BTW, I have a Futaba 3PMX that I will likely use for a 2.2 rig, have been looking at options for ESC's and the M2 was looking good.
My son may get a 4PL to replace his Traxxis modded (added dig switch) TX.

The biggest problem with every Novak ESC I have tried again as of late is the old drag brake technology. The hold is not as good, not as adjustable, and the free wheel when trying to slowly descend down a hill on power.

I wanted to switch to Novak ESC's to get away from brushed stuff but had to go back quickly (except in the mini which I am still not happy with).

The M2 does not allow for the adjustment that the 4PL can give you in mixing. Easily adjusting the percentage you want to adjust by, or allowing you to have multiple adjustment options on separate buttons (say 10% on one and 20% on another for example).

I also don't see the size savings with the M2. The wiring gets very messy from every example I have seen with the large cap and external BEC as well as the wire gauge used. As we have seen and proven as of late the large wire diameter is not crucial for crawlers. I see why it is done for the high amp draw stall ratings but it is a major con for me.

I think the packaging of dual Tekins or dual Castles is cleaner and allows for better tuning of a rig through their programming abilities. I don't see the M2 grabbing many top podium spots in the future and I think this radio with dual ESC's will.

I think the M2 is a better fit for radios that don't have the advanced capabilities of the 4PL, such as the 3PMx or DX3R. I think anyone who is starting from scratch and is willing to buy this radio is better off buying Tekins or Castles in my opinion.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #269
I wanna be Dave

Smile

Harley, I appreciate your comments. I have a 3PMx, my son may be getting a 4PL.
He runs 2.2 shafty & I may end up with a 2.2 MOA.

Just asking questions so we spend money once, not twice.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #270
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Harley, I appreciate your comments. I have a 3PMx, my son may be getting a 4PL.
He runs 2.2 shafty & I may end up with a 2.2 MOA.

Just asking questions so we spend money once, not twice.
No worries man. Someone once told me that I am very opinionated
Old 12-08-2010, 09:37 PM   #271

I find it fantastic that a person would share so much information of their life experiences to help others .

Damn Harley, I am so greatfull of your post about the m2 vs tek. You have saved me so much time in research since I have always been a Nitro guy and am just now venturing into electrig rigs and it's so complicated.

I thank you.
gdl357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:41 PM   #272
I'm a stupid C U N T!

I've setup about a half dozen different XR-10 now, I've done the Novak Dig ESC and found that it doesn't have enough power to hold the front or rear wheels in a dig, and you tend to roll your tires your trying to lock. I've done Sidewinders and FXR's with the punk dig, It seems to work better, I don't know if the dig send power to the motor to hold them in place or if the shut power completely off, but on carpet and with losi boss claws and the punk dig will lock the wheels over the novak ESC. The dual esc sidewinder with the dig maxxed out works well but it seems to have to be maxxed to just function, With dual FXR's you seem to have the most control and tuneability, I set up most with between 60 and 75% drag to get them to lock up and fine tune from there.

If you can afford it the Dual FXR is your best setup
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #273
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobin3d View Post
Yes. This is what I run in all my rigs right now.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:53 PM   #274

Quote:
I've setup about a half dozen different XR-10 now, I've done the Novak Dig ESC and found that it doesn't have enough power to hold the front or rear wheels in a dig, and you tend to roll your tires your trying to lock. I've done Sidewinders and FXR's with the punk dig, It seems to work better, I don't know if the dig send power to the motor to hold them in place or if the shut power completely off, but on carpet and with losi boss claws and the punk dig will lock the wheels over the novak ESC. The dual esc sidewinder with the dig maxxed out works well but it seems to have to be maxxed to just function, With dual FXR's you seem to have the most control and tuneability, I set up most with between 60 and 75% drag to get them to lock up and fine tune from there.

What would you recommend with the dual FXR in XR-10.

35 turn, 45 turn or 55 turn, standard or hand wound.

Thx
gdl357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:56 PM   #275
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl357 View Post

Thx
I run dual FXR's and 35 turn Holmes Hobbies Handwounds. Here is my XR build thread: Harley's XR10 #AX50062
Old 12-08-2010, 10:03 PM   #276
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post

What does the M2 require for buttons?
I think it just needs a way to use one button for the actual dig(3 position switch), and some how to bias or dial one of the motors down(linear). The M11 does not give the option to set two modes for the 3rd ch. Does that make sense? I do have access to 2 FXR's but they are in use in two different trucks. If all else fails I can go without a scaler and swap the other one out of my buddies berg and have him use the M2, he has a DX3R that I'm using right now.

Thanks,
Vince
ynmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:04 PM   #277
I'm a stupid C U N T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl357 View Post

Thx
45t's handwound if you can afford them
Old 12-08-2010, 10:05 PM   #278
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynmech View Post
I think it just needs a way to use one button for the actual dig(3 position switch), and some how to bias or dial one of the motors down(linear). The M11 does not give the option to set two modes for the 3rd ch. Does that make sense? I do have access to 2 FXR's but they are in use in two different trucks. If all else fails I can go without a scaler and swap the other one out of my buddies berg and have him use the M2, he has a DX3R that I'm using right now.

Thanks,
Vince
The two buttons are no problem at all to do to use the M2 but if you can con your buddy out of the FXR I would do it!
Old 12-08-2010, 10:05 PM   #279
20K Club

Quote:
45t's handwound if you can afford them
You're just afraid of wheel speed
Old 12-08-2010, 10:10 PM   #280
I'm a stupid C U N T!

a 45t on 3s with a little custom massaging has plenty of wheel speed

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/277689-futaba-4pl-setup-tips-tricks-help.html
Posted By For Type Date
Futaba 4PL - Modelbouwforum.nl This thread Refback 11-08-2011 05:06 AM
Scaler Radio Help - Radios & Servos @ URC Forums This thread Refback 11-02-2011 02:46 PM
e-Modelismo - Maior Comunidade de Modelismo em Português - Ver Tópico - Futaba 4PL This thread Refback 10-27-2011 03:41 PM
Futaba 4PL 4-Channel 2.4GHz SFHSS Transmitter/Receiver - RemoteD - Fjärrstyrd Hobby This thread Refback 10-24-2011 03:51 AM
Futaba T4PL - Elektronik - rockcrawler.de This thread Refback 10-11-2011 04:01 AM
4PL Dual ESC - YouTube This thread Refback 10-09-2011 08:27 AM
ZONACRAWLING • Ver Tema - emisora 4pl This thread Refback 10-05-2011 04:42 PM