Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Blowing CC BEC's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 08:54 AM   #61
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakker View Post
Well, just to clarify, I pulled the BEC off the rear servo, reconnected it's signal wire into the plug, and plugged it back into the rx. The rx is now powering the rear 7955 servo "JUST FINE"!
I'm running a 7950 up front, and it's BEC is PERFECTLY powering the monster at 7.4V.

SO, I'm really lead to believe that it's a bad batch. I'll fill ya'll in when I get back from talking to them.
please do, I got 3 that are in good looking condition to send back. (robbed plugs and wires off the others already)
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2011, 09:34 AM   #62
I wanna be Dave

OK, PLEASE READ:
Here's the skinny from Castle. 1st off, I'd like to thank Greg, from tech support, he was VERY helpful, professional and eager to help get the problem resolved.
He is sending a NEW BEC out today with a return mailer for the one I just got last week. I am including a copy of the receipt as well.
They will have to check and see of course as to what went wrong with it but Greg said they haven't had any calls on BEC's lately. So, IF there truely is a bad batch they would like to know about it so that they can make it right. They want us to be happy with their CC, products, so if you have what you feel is a bad BEC, give them a call at 913-390-6939, press 1 for tech support. I talked to Greg.

That being said, Greg told me that "ONLY" the RED POWER WIRE, needs to power the servo directly, and that the signal AND ground wire should go to the rx for a true ground.
I told him I would share that info and maybe getting the correct info out there would keep guys from blowing BEC's.
He said, "it could be just a matter of time before the BEC goes if they are wired the way we have been doing them". (for who know's how long)
I told him my 7950 has been wired the wrong way then for 2yrs and I've beat it in the heat pretty hard and it's still good. However, I'm going to change the plug to only the power wire going to the servo's power wire and the signal and ground from the servo will go to the rx from now on.

Last edited by Krakker; 01-19-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:39 AM   #63
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
That being said, Greg told me that "ONLY" the RED POWER wire, needs to power the servo directly, and that the signal AND ground wire should go to the rx for a true ground.
Tried and failed, I was told the same thing. Failed quicker then the others wired red/red & black/black.

Ill give him a call since he was the one I spoke to last week about all mine.

Thanks for the #
Old 01-19-2011, 09:42 AM   #64
RCC Addict

Mines wired the other way with no issues. Hmm. Isn't a ground a ground? I might be missing something but why is the receiver ground any different from the servo ground?
Deezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:43 AM   #65
I wanna be Dave

JRH, what are your thoughts on this.

I can wait on the rear servo since it's fine for now, should the wires be wired like Greg said???
Old 01-19-2011, 09:45 AM   #66
Custom Carbon Fiber

oops double post ....... damn work pc

Last edited by Robbob; 01-19-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:57 AM   #67
Quarry Creeper

Thats great info. I was also concerned and curious as to why or how you were wiring a bec directly to a servo. I was always against doing that.
bpd964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:06 AM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpd964 View Post
Thats great info. I was also concerned and curious as to why or how you were wiring a bec directly to a servo. I was always against doing that.
For the demand that today's HT servo's put on the rx's it's best to put the correct deticated power to the servo. Even Greg at CC recommended this.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:13 AM   #69
Custom Carbon Fiber

I just spoke to Thomas over at CC and got similar info but was told different about the ground.

He said we should be wiring:
red bec to the red servo ......
black Bec to the black Servo ......

signal wire from the servo AND the black from the servo should be going to the RX only

bec ground needs to be grounded To/Through the servo with the servo using the RX to ground both.

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo..._bec_setup.pdf

Gonna try it tonight ...................

Last edited by Robbob; 01-19-2011 at 10:38 AM. Reason: added link
Old 01-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #70
Rock Crawler

I will rewire mine tonight to send the signal and ground back to the receiver, but I still don't think that is the problem. I have had mine wired "incorrectly" for a few years and have never had any problems until just recently. And for them to say that they have not had any calls about bad BEC's lately is total BS, because I just talked to somebody there last week and sent them a bad BEC. I am still playing around with making sure I have absolutely no binding or drivetrain issues, but my steering still has issues that it never had before.
davec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:59 AM   #71
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
For the demand that today's HT servo's put on the rx's it's best to put the correct deticated power to the servo. Even Greg at CC recommended this.
Agreed.. I will post a wiring diagram of a setup you guys might like.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #72
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpd964 View Post
Agreed.. I will post a wiring diagram of a setup you guys might like.
Post it up when u get a chance. We're rewiring mine completely and I to burnt my BEC up the other week. We got to thinking it was just a bad batch
Monstergt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:10 AM   #73
RCC Addict

That wiring diagram is interesting. I ran over a year with it the normal way. I will rewire if this one xplodes. I just don't see that being the fix.
Deezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #74
Quarry Creeper

I have to wait until I get home so I can wire up the bec and check the voltages with loads. I will do a little YouTube video.

Just remember, when you plug an Esc with a built in bec into a rx, the rx is powered by the bec in the esc. If you plug a separate bec straight into a servo using the red wire, you will also be powering it. This will give you an over voltage because you are powering it from 2 places. You need to remove the red wire from the Esc to disable the internal bec. Of course there are esc's without bec's so this is a non-issue and some of you already know this info. But, after reading around a bit I realize that some are not aware of this.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #75
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitch View Post
Thats exactly how mine is wired now and I've never had an issue. My ESC powers my RX and dig servo.
Have you tried running one servo power off your ESC and 2nd servo off the CC BEc ?

Any concerns ? I have yet to try this .

I am having same problem,

Only I run my front and rear hitec 7995 steering servo's direct of the CC bec and just the white signal wire into the Spectrum rec. My Rec get's power from the same bec . Esc red wire removed gets power from the 3s

I am running a 8lbs tube buggy 2.2 wheels and my system still cuts out

do us dual HT servo guys need 2 bec's now ! ?

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 01-19-2011 at 12:33 PM.
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:32 PM   #76
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I just spoke to Thomas over at CC and got similar info but was told different about the ground.

He said we should be wiring:
red bec to the red servo ......
black Bec to the black Servo ......

signal wire from the servo AND the black from the servo should be going to the RX only

bec ground needs to be grounded To/Through the servo with the servo using the RX to ground both.

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo..._bec_setup.pdf

Gonna try it tonight ...................
I would ask another Tech.
My experience with Thomas has always been painful, he doesn't listen and he has been wrong. Also is very rude.

I cant remember the other names, but the other guy there is much more helpful and accurate. Polite as well.

Also FYI, in ANY customer service ANYWHERE ! Dont accept the first answer you are given, it usually takes 3 or more tech to get you the correct answer.
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:54 PM   #77
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4crawlin View Post
Have you tried running one servo power off your ESC and 2nd servo off the CC BEc ?

Only I run my front and rear hitec 7995 steering servo's direct of the CC bec and just the white signal wire into the Spectrum rec. My Rec get's power from the same bec . Esc red wire removed gets power from the 3s

When I first started using the BEC years ago, I powered everything from it, clipping the red wire as you indicated. I never had any serious issues with it, but it did "brown out" my radio once when I started running my first VF dig. Once that happened I started wiring them directly to my steering servo only and powering everything else with the ESC and Ive never had any issues with it until Saturday night.

My original BEC is still going strong and it has been seriously abused. Its been in at least 4 different 2.2 comp trucks, a super in which it powered 2 high torque airtronics servos, and lastly in my 2.2 scaler powering a 5955 hitec before it went into my losi again. Its been completely submerged in liquid electrical tape twice to water proof it and it has been completely submerged in water numerous times. The one that let me down was taken out of the package and the shrinkwrap was changed to black and installed the exact same way. Lasted less than 10 minutes. I really believe they have some bad components in the newer ones. Unfortunately, I dont keep most of my receipts to take the "angry old lady" factor out of the hobby, so I'm eating this one.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4crawlin View Post

I was going to use 1 BEC to power the front 7950 servo (since it's getting 7.4V) and 1 BEC for the 7955 servo. Since Harely claims that there is no issue running a 6V rated servo from the rx, I am running the rear 7955 servo strait from the rx since it's powerd by the FXR's bec. This setup has worked well for 20min. testing indoors so far.
IF I cahnge to a 7950 for the rear later on, I'll definantly use a seperate BEC to power it.

I'm still really curious as to how we've all had perfectly fine working servo's with them direct wired like we've been doing for years.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #79
REST IN ALOHA CHIP

sounds good.
YoUnG_vErSiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #80
RCC Addict

Quote:
I'm still really curious as to how we've all had perfectly fine working servo's with them direct wired like we've been doing for years.
Because the battery is the common ground as JRH said earlier. I dont buy CC's answer that we are wire them incorrectly. I think it's their attempt to not tell us they are having issues. The fact that Robbob said he called them and then they tell Krakker they havent had any calls about the BEC lately says it all...
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote