Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Blowing CC BEC's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 02:13 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitch View Post
Because the battery is the common ground as JRH said earlier. I dont buy CC's answer that we are wire them incorrectly. I think it's their attempt to not tell us they are having issues. The fact that Robbob said he called them and then they tell Krakker they havent had any calls about the BEC lately says it all...
LOL, loop hole right there. Define " Lately " was that from thomas? at CC. cant stand that guy.
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2011, 02:24 PM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
When I first started using the BEC years ago, I powered everything from it, clipping the red wire as you indicated. I never had any serious issues with it, but it did "brown out" my radio once when I started running my first VF dig. Once that happened I started wiring them directly to my steering servo only and powering everything else with the ESC and Ive never had any issues with it until Saturday night.

My original BEC is still going strong and it has been seriously abused. Its been in at least 4 different 2.2 comp trucks, a super in which it powered 2 high torque airtronics servos, and lastly in my 2.2 scaler powering a 5955 hitec before it went into my losi again. Its been completely submerged in liquid electrical tape twice to water proof it and it has been completely submerged in water numerous times. The one that let me down was taken out of the package and the shrinkwrap was changed to black and installed the exact same way. Lasted less than 10 minutes. I really believe they have some bad components in the newer ones. Unfortunately, I dont keep most of my receipts to take the "angry old lady" factor out of the hobby, so I'm eating this one.
So you keep going through CC BEC's ? or other brans bec's ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakker View Post
I was going to use 1 BEC to power the front 7950 servo (since it's getting 7.4V) and 1 BEC for the 7955 servo. Since Harely claims that there is no issue running a 6V rated servo from the rx, I am running the rear 7955 servo strait from the rx since it's powerd by the FXR's bec. This setup has worked well for 20min. testing indoors so far.
IF I cahnge to a 7950 for the rear later on, I'll definantly use a seperate BEC to power it.

I'm still really curious as to how we've all had perfectly fine working servo's with them direct wired like we've been doing for years.
"We all" I would not say that is valid.
I am surprised many of us are having issues especially since we now run on Lipo.

Quote:
Because the battery is the common ground as JRH said earlier. I dont buy CC's answer that we are wire them incorrectly. I think it's their attempt to not tell us they are having issues. The fact that Robbob said he called them and then they tell Krakker they havent had any calls about the BEC lately says it all...
LOL, loop hole right there. Define " Lately " was that from thomas? at CC. cant stand that guy.

Does any body run Dual Servos with Dual independant CC BEC's and not have problems ?
maybe that is the answer
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #83
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4crawlin View Post
So you keep going through CC BEC's ? or other brans bec's ?

Does any body run Dual Servos with Dual independant CC BEC's and not have problems ?
maybe that is the answer
Ive only used CC BECs to this point, but I'm looking into other options. I havent spoken to CC, only commenting on what's been posted in this thread.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:43 PM   #84
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4crawlin View Post
No problems for me. I talked, he listened ..... was polite and gave help to try and fix the problem.

Quote:
Ive only used CC BECs to this point, but I'm looking into other options.
Same here but its nothing against CC.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:49 PM   #85
MODERATOR™

I ran a MPI regulator a while ago, it had no problems, but it wasn't the one in this link here.

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-21.html

ACC234 Key Features:
• Adjustable output voltage,
• Large heat sink for optimum performance,
• Weight only 1.4 oz,
• Current: 15 Amp continuous, 30 Amp peak @7.4V input and 6V output,
• Max input voltage: 16V,

• Output voltage range: 4.8-8V. Input voltage must be at least 1V higher than output.

Note: Current capacity drops as input voltage increases.

ACC234 Adjustable HD Regulator
$34.95

Looks like they beefcaked the old one.

Interesting option eh?
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
I ran a MPI regulator a while ago, it had no problems, but it wasn't the one in this link here.

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-21.html

ACC234 Key Features:
• Adjustable output voltage,
• Large heat sink for optimum performance,
• Weight only 1.4 oz,
• Current: 15 Amp continuous, 30 Amp peak @7.4V input and 6V output,
• Max input voltage: 16V,
• Output voltage range: 4.8-8V. Input voltage must be at least 1V higher than output.

Note: Current capacity drops as input voltage increases.

ACC234 Adjustable HD Regulator
$34.95

Looks like they beefcaked the old one.

Interesting option eh?
Yeah eh!
That would be a really good buy if I could run "BOTH" servo's off of it. Hmmmm???

As far as the wiring issue goes, I'm not in any big hurry to just switch
because of one tech's opinion since it's been running that way for 2yrs.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:30 PM   #87
RCC Addict

Quote:
As far as the wiring issue goes, I'm not in any big hurry to just switch
because of one tech's opinion since it's been running that way for 2yrs.
agreed. My truck ran just fine sunday and again today with it wired the same way Ive been doing it for at least 2 years.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:01 PM   #88
Rock Crawler

Well, the new wiring idea didn't work for me. I hooked up the ground wire from the BEC back to the receiver per the wiring diagram from above. It seemed to work fine for about 3 minutes, then BAM, no BEC. Something is definitely funky with this situation. I put my spare back in and went back to my original way of hooking everything up, which is pulling the red wire from the ESC and powering everything off my BEC. So far so good, but I really don't know. I am calling Castle in the morning to see if I can exchange my two bad 10A BEC's for one of their 20A ones. I just don't understand this.

As a side note to all this trouble, my truck is running smoother than it has in a while, which it should, because I have been through every single thing on it in the last week.
davec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:55 AM   #89
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec View Post
Well, the new wiring idea didn't work for me. I hooked up the ground wire from the BEC back to the receiver per the wiring diagram from above. It seemed to work fine for about 3 minutes, then BAM, no BEC. Something is definitely funky with this situation. I put my spare back in and went back to my original way of hooking everything up, which is pulling the red wire from the ESC and powering everything off my BEC. So far so good, but I really don't know. I am calling Castle in the morning to see if I can exchange my two bad 10A BEC's for one of their 20A ones. I just don't understand this.

As a side note to all this trouble, my truck is running smoother than it has in a while, which it should, because I have been through every single thing on it in the last week.
Were you powering EVERYTHING wired this way or just the servo?
I believe if youre powering everything through the rx with the BEC, you should be removing the signal wire from the BEC and the power wire (red) from the ESC. Their wiring instructions were for powering the "servo only"
Old 01-20-2011, 11:46 AM   #90
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
I believe if youre powering everything through the rx with the BEC, you should be removing the signal wire from the BEC and the power wire (red) from the ESC. Their wiring instructions were for powering the "servo only"

The signal wire on the BEC does nothing, its only used for programming.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:20 PM   #91
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Yes, it was servo only when it went out. After that, I switched back to the old standby for me, which is power from the battery to the BEC, then all three wires from the BEC back to the receiver. Everything is powered through the receiver. I have done it this way numerous times and it has worked, so that is what I went back to. I only run my BEC at 6.0 volts, so nothing sees more than that anyway. My ESC has the red wire dropped out, but nothing else.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #92
I wanna be Dave

Tragic update: I just burned up the NEW REPLACEMENT BEC, and missed Sat's comp with "my" rig. No white spot or smoke from this one, is just stopped working. No light no nothing.
Only had around 1/2hr's testing on my new rig when the ESC went poo, checking things out when I got home and then the servo just went away. BEC is powered strait off the battery wires before the esc.
Called up Castle again and explained my replacement (that I got on Jan. 20) lasted 1/2hr. Explained I was using a 7980 servo and questioned the compatibility with it. Was told they are going to get a 7980 servo and see what happens when they put it to the test.
I'm wondering if I need to set the voltage at 8.4 instead of 7.4 since the servo can pull quite a bit more than the CC BEC will allow.
My other option is going back to a 7950 servo, I honestly don't see a difference in performance from the 2 accept the 7950 is faster.

Hopefully we'll see some #'s on the 7980's performance with different settings. It would be good to have a recommended or statistical sheet on voltage settings per servo ratings.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:04 AM   #93
RCC Addict

That sucks. My OG BEC is still running strong in my losi. I really think it's bad components on Castle's part. My BEC that stopped working never let out any smoke or anything either. I wasnt even on the rocks... I was doing an initial "test" run across the living room floor and it crapped out, so mine wasnt due to an amp draw issue either.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:02 PM   #94
Defy Gravity

think i'm going to have to talk to castle as well on mine. got it in the middle of December, wired per the included sheet. truck glitched a bit, tried a receiver pack on my rtr losi rx, did the same thing, ok the rx torched. replaced with a dx3e, worked perfect for a bit and now its shot again. just tried the updated wiring method and red-red black-black, and again nothing, truck sits and jitters. un-plug the castle and re-attach the esc bec and truck works perfect. its a little frustrating, but its the middle of winter and can't run. hopefully they get this figured out
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:59 PM   #95
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I really think it's bad components on Castle's part. My BEC that stopped working never let out any smoke or anything either. I wasnt even on the rocks... I was doing an initial "test" run across the living room floor and it crapped out, so mine wasnt due to an amp draw issue either.
Rant On...

In the last month I smoked a 1.5 year old BEC and just lost two more BEC's in a row while during a few minute "test" run inside. This last one was a replacement Castle just sent me. Castle said I wasn't grounding the BEC to the RX so it was to be expected (I call BS). This one was wired to their specs. I'm fixing to chuck the whole damn truck in the trash

...Rant Off

Any other Losi guys have this BEC problem before the RS min drive update? Thats all that I can think that we have in common.

Last edited by rob_b; 02-23-2011 at 09:03 PM.
rob_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:18 AM   #96
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_b View Post
Rant On...

In the last month I smoked a 1.5 year old BEC and just lost two more BEC's in a row while during a few minute "test" run inside. This last one was a replacement Castle just sent me. Castle said I wasn't grounding the BEC to the RX so it was to be expected (I call BS). This one was wired to their specs. I'm fixing to chuck the whole damn truck in the trash

...Rant Off

Any other Losi guys have this BEC problem before the RS min drive update? Thats all that I can think that we have in common.
You know something, I never thought of it before, but that is exactly when my BEC problems started. Why the hell didn't I think of that, other than I wouldn't think it should matter. I have been running a MMP 1 Cell for the last 3 weeks with the 20A pro BEC, but Castle just sent me 3 replacement 10A BEC's for the bad ones I had. I was going to sell them and just live with the monster 20A BEC, but now I need to experiment. I am going to wire up one of them tonight with the MMP and see what happens. It sure would be nice to use a small BEC again.

I don't know why the minimum drive would make any difference, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that I didn't have BEC problems before that update. Rob, you might be on to something here.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:54 AM   #97
I wanna be Dave

I agree, it should make no difference what the ESC is doing. Unless its introducing some weird fluctuations into the electrical system. Guess it might be time for a data logger.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:27 PM   #98
RCC Addict

Well as an LCC owner i cant help totally but ive had no issues with the BEC and a 7950. I have the bec wired direct to the servo and servo signal going to the rx. I also run a super with the pro bec feeding my dual rr servos (9157) and a standard blue feeding my 7980 front servo.

Running both trucks on 3s. LCC has a goat 3s system, and super has 2 fxr's. One thing i can think of is a possibility of too much resistance in the solder joints or plugs?? ive had same bec in the LCC for almost 2 seasons.
scatterbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #99
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterbrains View Post
Well as an LCC owner i cant help totally but ive had no issues with the BEC and a 7950. I have the bec wired direct to the servo and servo signal going to the rx. I also run a super with the pro bec feeding my dual rr servos (9157) and a standard blue feeding my 7980 front servo.

Running both trucks on 3s. LCC has a goat 3s system, and super has 2 fxr's. One thing i can think of is a possibility of too much resistance in the solder joints or plugs?? ive had same bec in the LCC for almost 2 seasons.
No problems with solder joints or plugs on my rig. I will be putting one of the 10A BEC's back in my truck with the MMP 1 cell to see what happens. That should determine if it is a Tekin RS problem or not, because everything else in my truck is identical as before.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #100
I wanna be Dave

I'm glad you are so motivated Dave. Keep us informed...