Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Mmp vs rs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 07:48 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Did you remove the red wire from the ESC to RX connection??
Like Losikid said, I can't see how a firmware version in the ESC affects the external BEC.
Frankly, I would run the servo direct off the BEC & the RX off the ESC BEC. If you have any glitch issues, connect the BEC black to the RX as well (along with the servo signal wire).
Yes, red wire removed when powering the rx by the BEC. Not really a glitch issue. We could watch the BEC light go out and loose power when not even steering. First few times, power came back. By the third course, it didn't . Even tried bec voltage from 5.5, 6, 7, and 8.
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2011, 09:10 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid View Post
Yes, red wire removed when powering the rx by the BEC. Not really a glitch issue. We could watch the BEC light go out and loose power when not even steering. First few times, power came back. By the third course, it didn't . Even tried bec voltage from 5.5, 6, 7, and 8.
I do know earlier this year it appears as there was a bad batch of CC 10A BEC's, quite a few people had them die as did I. It's possible you got one or more from that batch.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:34 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

I had a mamba max pro in lcc, great esc, rather than size both are great option, now I'm runnig the tekin rs pro and it's much more easier to put it inside the truck and so far I had no issue.
  • MMP: Pro= up to 6s, price. Cons= size and weight.
  • RS pro: Pro= Smaller size, tekin quality. Cons= Price
AlexG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I do know earlier this year it appears as there was a bad batch of CC 10A BEC's, quite a few people had them die as did I. It's possible you got one or more from that batch.
Well, the first one was dirt old, like at least a year before the LCC just came out. Second one was about a year old. Third was new this spring. So, all though possible, doubt full. And the fact three rigs did the exact same thing immediatley after loading the new software.

Last edited by skid; 10-28-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:57 AM   #25

Quote:
i've lunched 3 cc 10a becs this past year. one with a tekin esc, one with a super rooster, and one with a mamba max. all worked fine for awhile then one day would glitch a little, act up, and just stop working. they were all hooked up right and running 6v. pretty frustrating...

those 3 bec's didnt come from the same batch, one of them had been installed for a couple years, but they all were the older version without the cap sticking out the shrinkwrap.

i have yet to fry one of the newer style bec's with the cap.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #26
RCC Addict

Quote:
Well, the first one was dirt old, like at least a year before the LCC just came out. Second one was about a year old. Third was new this spring. So, all though possible, doubt full. And the fact three rigs did the exact same thing immediatley after loading the new software.
That doesn't make any sense, the RS has no control over the power the external BEC receives, it just shares a common powersource.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:20 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post
That doesn't make any sense, the RS has no control over the power the external BEC receives, it just shares a common powersource.
I know it doesn't seem right. But electronics can be funny. Rf can make things buggy without any physical connection. No saying that's it, but stranger stuff has happened. Maybe something feeding back on the battery wires. Maybe some ac signal? Maybe the motors emit something with the new program? All I know for sure is the last two BECs I ordered together. The only one still working is with 208 programming.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:51 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Let's just bite the bullet and admit that Castle products can fail just like any others. I know I had one of their ESCs fail right out of the box.

I have two CC BECs that work fine but not with Novak's M2, go figure.

Randy is correct that any failure of an external BEC is mutually exclusive of the ESC regardless of brand. Now heat and or polarity reversals can kill any and most electronics (by polarity reversal I'm including momentary shorts that may not be apparently visible).
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:06 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post

Randy is correct that any failure of an external BEC is mutually exclusive of the ESC regardless of brand. .
So 3 dead Becs for me personally. 1st dead less the 10 min. After upgraded software. 2 and 3 less than 10 min after install. #4 still going after downgrade. You a betting man?
I've been on #4 all summer. There is a physical and proximity connection. If I toaste #4 after upgrade, wanna send me a refund?
Old 10-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Quote:
So 3 dead Becs for me personally. 1st dead less the 10 min. After upgraded software. 2 and 3 less than 10 min after install. #4 still going after downgrade. You a betting man?
I've been on #4 all summer. There is a physical and proximity connection. If I toaste #4 after upgrade, wanna send me a refund?
That would be a fool's bet.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Quote:
I know it doesn't seem right. But electronics can be funny. Rf can make things buggy without any physical connection. No saying that's it, but stranger stuff has happened. Maybe something feeding back on the battery wires. Maybe some ac signal? Maybe the motors emit something with the new program? All I know for sure is the last two BECs I ordered together. The only one still working is with 208 programming.
That is interesting and I will look into it further. I have two RS v212 powered crawlers both running exBECs and they both are still kicking. I have had 2 BECs die on me, but both were in brushed trail rigs....

You've got my attention, I will bring it up with some of the crew.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

It's been a strange one for sure. Not sure where the issue is, but the first hand ones I've seen have been Hitec servo's, Spektrum rx in LCC. Two are rs, and mine a rs pro.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:47 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Ok, I've got the same rig as well setup with an RS, exBEC and a JR servo, Hitec for the dig. I'll do some playing around with it and talk to some of the engineers about it and see what we can come up with.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:29 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

good to here as I have lunched 4 or 5 in the recent months all confirgured directly to the servos. I have tried every different config. in my scale endurance truck and its running a rs w/17.5/ hitec/ccbec. Ive got the 2 new ones there with the caps I will try one if it goes tonight ill retard the program and see what happens then. All of the bec failures have been on my sensored brushless powered trucks. I have lots of Becs in action every week with all of me and the kids trucks, maybe 18-20 in the comp trucks. all of them running without any failures, just the sensored brushless issues.

Ill be watching this thread for sure.
SDS Customz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

I also had issue with the rs pro and castle bec, at least the 10A one.
One was the old one and the second was the new version with the cap.
Know I'm using the cc bec pro and so far no issue.
AlexG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Hmmm, intersting...i'll be running a tekin redline 17.5t, with the 14mm super torque rotor (currently best crawler sensored brushless motor imo, till the roc and holmes stuff is released)
You must not have tried the pro4 yet!
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #37
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
You must not have tried the pro4 yet!
Ok, you caught me. But i don't want to spend that kind of dough on it, when hopefully the roc or holmes puller pro will be out early next year...I have $60 into the tekin 17.5 and 14mm rotor. Cheapest i could find the pro4 (in stock) was like $160 plus ship.

Lets put it this way, the best non-4 pole motor
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:05 AM   #38
mrG
RCC Addict

I've had the same MMP and castle bec for two years with no issues. I did play with the throttle curve and that smoothed out the low end cogging.
mrG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:46 PM   #39

where did you find the tekin 17.5 and 14mm rotor for $60? I am in the market for one and that sir is an awesome price.
kinree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:59 PM   #40
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinree View Post
where did you find the tekin 17.5 and 14mm rotor for $60? I am in the market for one and that sir is an awesome price.
Used, i found the 17.5t for $30...and a rotor brand new is $30
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote