Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Mmp vs rs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 09:13 AM   #41
RCC Addict

I still think the BEC issue was a CC thing... I smoked my first bad BEC in my LCC with the older firmware just driving across the carpet checking everything out after a rebuild, then 2 more with the new firmware. I also smoked one in my SCX10 with a BRXL. I'm still running the new firmware in my LCC and I haven't had anymore issues with the BECs. I power my servos directly from the BEC and now keep the negative wire on the RX side as a common ground (I used to just run the signal wire only to the RX.) It shouldn't really make a difference since the servo is still grounded to the battery via the BEC, but I did it on CC's advice.

I've been in the LHS and heard numerous airplane and heli guys complaining about 10a BECs failing. The only common factors when I asked about their setups were hi-po digital servos and high loads. They all had similar failures as well. Of the guys I heard talk about it, all but 1 of the BECs were new out of the bag with less than 2 flights. I really think the issue was the smaller surface mount cap that CC was using wasn't able to cope with instant startup strain that todays digital servos put on them. The cap is what failed on all 3 of mine.

As far as the actual subject of this thread, I ran the RS for a long time, swapped in a MMP for a bit, and ended up going back to the RS. It just felt smoother and the smaller size really fits better on the truck. I also prefer the solder posts on the RS. Cleans up the wiring a lot.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2011, 03:29 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

My opinion, which don't mean much, I went with the mmp. You can run brushed, brushless non sensored and sensored, fan for cooling, run 6s lipo, and only costs $115.

Tekin is great but only 3s, my fxr ran hot on 3s, and the price of the esc is almost double the price at $208 for the rs pro. The great thing is its very small.
muddinscx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:30 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

I've gone threw 4 ccbec in the past couple weeks 3 of them being new one of them having the new cap hanging the end. Running Rs 17.5 brushless sensored. Not really sure what to try next? Maybe the Bec pro?

Last edited by Vertec; 10-30-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Vertec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:36 PM   #44
Got Worms?

I think i have a almost new tekin rs and hotwire on the way, although i haven't decided if i want this rct guy to pull $140 from where the sun don't shine. He's gonna have to dig real deep and i'm unsure if i'm up for that type of pain

Anyways, i'm defiantly interested in the bec issue, I think i may just run 2s till ty gives us some good news.

Also just to be sure, the newest firmware, thats really smooth, applies to the rs correct, not just the pro?
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:45 PM   #45
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
I think i have a almost new tekin rs and hotwire on the way, although i haven't decided if i want this rct guy to pull $140 from where the sun don't shine. He's gonna have to dig real deep and i'm unsure if i'm up for that type of pain

Anyways, i'm defiantly interested in the bec issue, I think i may just run 2s till ty gives us some good news.

Also just to be sure, the newest firmware, thats really smooth, applies to the rs correct, not just the pro?
Yes, the RS and the RS Pro use the same firmware and software. The Pro has additional FETs to handle the lower turn motors.

I used a RS Pro on 3S with a CC BEC (set at 6V), CS-170 servo and Speed Passion 17.5 for two years in my LCC without a glitch or problem.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:09 PM   #46
Got Worms?

Ok i have a tekin rs on the way...I was going to go mmp, but figured i better just get the rs for $40 more.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:36 PM   #47
RCC Addict

I got my RS and a Epic Duo 2 17.5 for $165 shipped from a guy on RCTech. Both were in like new condition and are still running strong. Deals are out there to be found
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote