Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Sensored MMP Stuttering Badly. Ideas?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Sensored MMP Stuttering Badly. Ideas?

- Voltage on the battery was at 3.9 v/cell. I put in a new one, but no real improvement.
- Re-seated the sensor wire and tried a second wire, no change.
- Verified correct wire order.
- Tried w/ sensor wire removed and it acted differently....like an unsensored setup would react.
- I tried the old firmware (1.26), but no change.
- I set the software to the LOW Start Power, but no change.

I hope to get another video soon showing my trigger and motor simultaneously.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

so you have your motor wires hooked up like this. red off motor to red off esc, white off motor to BLACK off esc, and black off motor to WHITE off esc?
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
ya got your wires hooked up wrong brother! look at the motor. there where the motor wires are on the NOVAK sticker there are A,B,C terminals. red to A, black to B, white to C. on my ballistic motor the red wire goes to the K in NOVAK, the black in middle, white to the N in NOVAK. yours in the video are in the wrong sequence.

pull connectors apart, and hook them up right. you don't have to resolder if you don't want to, but i would just so you can keep it straight!
I just triple-checked and grabbed a pic, too.

Looks like everything is hooked up like it should be. A=red, B=white, & C=black. *shrug*
Old 01-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
so you have your motor wires hooked up like this. red off motor to red off esc, white off motor to BLACK off esc, and black off motor to WHITE off esc?
Whoa! Now I'm even more confused! Are you saying I should NOT have them black-to-black and white-to-white?
Old 01-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

well, i would guess it's the sensor ring inside the motor then. i'm running the mmp with 18.5t ballistic motor. it runs smooth as glass. i did have trouble getting the sensor wire to plug into the mmp fully. had to use a small pair of needle nose pliers to seat it in fully. on mine the side of the connector with the black wire would not sit down all the way. used the pliers to help push it on.

motor/esc looks right, if sensor wire is plugged in fully, it's gotta be the sensor ring.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
well, i would guess it's the sensor ring inside the motor then. i'm running the mmp with 18.5t ballistic motor. it runs smooth as glass. i did have trouble getting the sensor wire to plug into the mmp fully. had to use a small pair of needle nose pliers to seat it in fully. on mine the side of the connector with the black wire would not sit down all the way. used the pliers to help push it on.

motor/esc looks right, if sensor wire is plugged in fully, it's gotta be the sensor ring.
Ah, okay. So everything is plugged in as it should be. Whew! Yeah, I had to use some needle nose pliers to seat the sensor plugs, as well. Unless someone else has suggestions, I guess it's time to order a sensor for the motor. Too bad it means I can't run the scale event this weekend.

Took another quick video to show what's going on. Not sure if it really shows much more than the previous video, but you can see the transmitter throttle position in this one. Be sure to have the volume on.

More of the Brushless Motor Stuttering Problem - YouTube
Old 01-17-2012, 12:05 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Contact Novak Tech Support.

I am not 100% but I think it is your choice of motor/speed control causing the problem.

The Novak Crawler motors have something inside them that triggers Novak Crawler Speed controls so they know it's a crawler motor.

For example the Goat 3S system and a crawler motor were fine in a crawler application, connect a standard Balistic motor and now the Goat 3S would act like a Kinetic speed control.

From Noavk's site:

Compatible with Novak's Timbuk2, Goat 2S, Goat 3S and other crawling brushless ESCs

The Mamba Micro Pro is not a full on crawler speed control.
AZrcdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

the mmp and the novak motors work together. i've been running his same combo for a while now. the deal is the novak motors have a resistor inside them that the novak esc's recognize. with that resistor, the novak esc goes into crawler mode. without the resistor the esc will not go into crawler mode.

running a novak motor with any other esc makes no difference. now running a novak esc with another brand motor the esc will not go into crawler mode.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZrcdriver View Post
Contact Novak Tech Support.

I am not 100% but I think it is your choice of motor/speed control causing the problem.

The Novak Crawler motors have something inside them that triggers Novak Crawler Speed controls so they know it's a crawler motor.

For example the Goat 3S system and a crawler motor were fine in a crawler application, connect a standard Balistic motor and now the Goat 3S would act like a Kinetic speed control.

From Noavk's site:

Compatible with Novak's Timbuk2, Goat 2S, Goat 3S and other crawling brushless ESCs

The Mamba Micro Pro is not a full on crawler speed control.
Good info, thanks! I called, but tech support is closed for a couple hours during the day so I'll have to call later. I did place an order for the crawler sensor ring, but maybe I need the non-crawler version. Anyway, I'll call them again when they open and report back with their recommendation.

Also, I'm running a Mamba Max Pro, not a Micro, but I guess neither is exactly a crawler ESC so I'm sure the same rules would apply.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

Be careful installing the sensor wires in the MMP. I have broken 3 input harnesses off the board of the MMP by pushing too hard. It is only held on the circuit board by a very small solder joint. I had this lynching issue and it turned out to be the sensor wire input plug was partially broken off the board of the MMP.

Good luck
BladeMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #31
Rock Stacker

Quote:
the mmp and the novak motors work together. i've been running his same combo for a while now.
+1

MMP/Ballistic Crawler 21.5T over here.
WraithCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #32
mrG
RCC Addict

I watched your second video, acts kinda like my LCC setup did. But I ran a Tekin 21.5. I solved it with the esc settings, start power on high, throttle curve stating at 10% (linear). You may need to go to a higher % with the throttle curve, I ran 4s.
mrG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithCrawler View Post
+1

MMP/Ballistic Crawler 21.5T over here.
+2

Have run the same setup without issue.
jkwrangler08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #34
mrG
RCC Addict

and use the newest firmware
Old 01-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrG View Post
I watched your second video, acts kinda like my LCC setup did. But I ran a Tekin 21.5. I solved it with the esc settings, start power on high, throttle curve stating at 10% (linear). You may need to go to a higher % with the throttle curve, I ran 4s.
Just tried that, along with the latest firmware, but not help. Tell me this. By "10% linear", what do you mean? I set the throttle curve to "linear" and then set the curve to start at the "10" marker on the horizontal axis. Is this what you meant?
Old 01-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

yes thats what he means. so the trottle starts at 10%. those novak crawler motors with their 14mm rotors will seem to cogg some at low speeds but it shouldnt be bad as yours in your video. worstcase is the motors sensor board.
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #37
RCC Addict

I had a similar issue in my slash 4x4. The BEC was causing some kind of funky feedback. I had to roll the esc firmware back to the first one in the castle link software.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Bypassed the BEC and no change there, either.

I did speak with Novak about the sensor for the motor. Since I'm not running a Novak ESC, it doesn't really matter which sensor I get (crawler vs. non-crawler). So I placed an order, but I'm sure it won't arrive in time for the weekend.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #39
mrG
RCC Addict

Seeing that your 3s only has 75% of the power my 4s had try going up to 20% or even 30% throttle curve. You can also try a smaller pinion.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #40
TSK
Shelf queen

The issue lies with your choice of esc and motor combo.

are all sensored brushless motors work with any sensored esc?
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote

Sensored MMP Stuttering Badly. Ideas? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motor stuttering/ cutting out Armistice Electronics 34 01-15-2012 05:06 PM
are all sensored brushless motors work with any sensored esc? jebster Electronics 8 01-02-2012 10:47 AM
MMP & Tekin sensored 13.5 issue hasbeen Axial Wraith 10 11-01-2011 07:32 PM
Sensored Motor and NON Sensored ESC. Timmahh Electronics 7 12-11-2008 09:21 PM