Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: i screwed up novak dig question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default i screwed up novak dig question

i just realized that the dig i got along time ago is for a two esc set up. i am going to run a mamba max single esc. can i still make this work or am i just phuged.
mudd_slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: i screwed up novak dig question

Nope...
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

nope as in no worky?
Old 05-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

That's correct the Novak dig only works with 2 escs. You need either a punk dig, rc4wd rocker dig, or ones of heyoks digs (vendor here) and one esc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoj View Post
That's correct the Novak dig only works with 2 escs. You need either a punk dig, rc4wd rocker dig, or ones of heyoks digs (vendor here) and one esc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
+1, or a "servo dig" which is a very small servo & 2 "micro switches", that is how I started comping on a 2.2 MOA.
It works, but also having proportional makes for a better experiance.

For my Futaba 3PM-x, I needed a WantAmix to run dual ESC's later on. Great upgrade.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I'd buy a second ESC before a punk, you should be able to pick up a used unit cheap. Then when you can get a proper radio you'll have full control.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:50 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

is there something wrong with a novak punk? i would rather run one esc i think. i know with two and my HACKED GT3B tow esc would rock but i just dont really know if i want the weight to advantage issue problem.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:54 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

yeh i bought that novack dig and then finally ran up on an old punk that i was looking for and i eehugh have a novak eeeghg laying around that uughum im not going to be using eeerrrghum anymore.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudd_slinger View Post
Is there something wrong with a Novak punk? I would rather run one esc I think. I know with two and my HACKED GT3B two ESC's it would rock but, I just dont really know if I want the weight to advantage issue problem.
Depending on the ESC, a 2nd small one (like an FX-R) would weigh about what an electronic dig unit would weigh.
Much better control as well if your radio supports it (I'm running dual Sidewinder Micro Pros on 3S to 35T motors in an XR-10.

Quote:
yeh i bought that novack dig and then finally ran up on an old punk that i was looking for and i eehugh have a novak eeeghg laying around that uughum im not going to be using eeerrrghum anymore.
I'm sorry, I have no real clue what the heck you just posted. I believe you had a Novak Dig and then bought a Punk Dig and didn't want the Novak issues??
Old 05-11-2012, 08:08 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Depending on the ESC, a 2nd small one (like an FX-R) would weigh about what an electronic dig unit would weigh.
Much better control as well if your radio supports it (I'm running dual Sidewinder Micro Pros on 3S to 35T motors in an XR-10.

I'm sorry, I have no real clue what the heck you just posted. I believe you had a Novak Dig and then bought a Punk Dig and didn't want the Novak issues??
i was goin to run a single esc with a punk. i bought a novack dual esc dig not realizing it could only be used with two esc's. i finally ran across a punk and another novak dual esc dig. i put one of the novaks in the "forsale" bin if anybody might want it. but i a really torn on this dig issue. i dont know if i want a singe esc with a punk or dual esc's with the dual novak dig. this is my first moa build and have everything done but figuring out how i want my esc/dig set up. i am running the flysky gt3b with the hack and that opens up alot of rooom for the dual setup. so im just beating my head agianst the keyboard trying to come to a decision.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I was going to run a single ESC with a punk. I bought a Novak dual ESC dig not realizing it could only be used with two ESC's. I finally ran across a punk and another Novak dual ESC dig. I put one of the Novak's in the "for sale" bin if anybody might want it. I am really torn on this dig issue. i don't know if i want a singe esc with a punk or dual ESC's with the dual Novak dig. this is my first MOA build and have everything done but figuring out how I want my ESC/dig set up. I am running the FlySky GT3B with the hack and that opens up a lot of room for the dual setup. So I'm just beating my head against the keyboard trying to come to a decision.
OK, that makes more sense to me, thanks for clarifying.
Since you have a hacked GT3B (like I have for the XR-10), skip ANY KIND OF DIG and get a 2nd ESC. It's easy to program dual ESC's with full front/rear dig as well as front/rear proportional (I like that option!!)

Currently I'm running dual CC Sidewinder Micro's on 3S LiPO with 35T motors.
The only real change in the "dual ESC template" I did was to change the "steps" for proportional from 20 to 5. I usually run it at 5 or 10 95% of the time except when doing a dig.

Last edited by Charlie-III; 05-11-2012 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Fix typos
Old 05-11-2012, 09:54 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
OK, that makes more sense to me, thanks for clarifying.
Since you have a hacked GT3B (like I have for the XR-10), skip ANY KIND OF DIG and get a 2nd ESC. It's easy to program dual ESC's with full front/rear dig as well as front/rear proportional (I like that option!!)

Currently I'm running dual CC Sidewinder Micro Pro's on 3S LiPO with 35T motors.
The only real change in the "dual ESC template" I did was to change the "steps" for proportional from 20 to 5. I usually run it at 5 or 10 95% of the time except when doing a dig.
do the micro's support the 540 cans pretty well? i am running 45 hand wound blitz on bully axles
Old 05-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: i screwed up Novak dig question

I may be pushing them with 35T's on 3S, your higher wind motors will be easier on them.

PS, I have the Sidewinder Micro's in my XR-10, not Micro pro's.
The Mamba Micro Pro's will likely do better since they have the heatsink.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

havev you ever used Hextronics esc's. i got a crawler from a member and it had dual hex's on it. they any count?
Old 05-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

the esc has a sticker on it that says car 35 and wiring labels but no name on it. he says they are hextronics 35 amp esc's but i cant find ni info on them.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
havev you ever used Hextronics esc's. i got a crawler from a member and it had dual hex's on it. they any count?
Quote:
the esc has a sticker on it that says car 35 and wiring labels but no name on it. he says they are hextronics 35 amp esc's but i cant find ni info on them.
Never heard of them, so can't comment. Maybe someone else has & will chime in.
If you have them, I would try them. Use the dual ESC template from the 1st page of the "GT3B Hack thread".
Old 05-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

i thought about trying them. dude had them on a losi each esc was pushing a tacon 550 1200kv brushless motor. like a dipshit i never tried it out cause i bought it to put each esc/motor on seperate crawlers and then part it out what i didnt need. i tested each on after removing them and they ran fine on the bench. let me get a pic of them and i will post them on here so you will at least have a look see.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Old 05-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

sorry, just noticed it is a car 30 not 35.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

heres the rig they were on.

i screwed up novak dig question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2x Tekin FX-r with Novak-DIG and DX3R or No dig with FlyskyGT3B Turbo-s Axial XR10 14 02-11-2012 08:16 AM
Novak The Dig: Dig for Dual Electric Crawler NOV5450 jmrcardoso Electronics 1 12-05-2011 04:20 PM
Motor Question about 18.5 novak,21.5 novak, 18.5 Ballistic YardFab Electronics 3 02-26-2010 09:53 AM
Novak "The Dig" Question KBrog Electronics 7 01-31-2010 08:34 PM